Ported and Thermal Barrier coated C55 Manifold

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 04:10 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chrysler Crossfire
Ported and Thermal Barrier coated C55 Manifold

We have a customer coming in tomorrow for his new manifold and I thought I'd share some pics of the finished product.

The manifold runners are decreased by 2" which allows for slightly better top end power and no loss of low or mid range. The runners are fully ported to eliminate the casting obstructions and enlarged to be fully gasket matched.

The top is coated with a Thermal Disperssant coating that allows the manifold to expel heat more rapidly. The bottom is coated with a Heat Reflection coating that keeps it from absorbing heat.

The manifold came out much better then expected and we are very anxious to get it on the car. More pics will be posted once it is installed.
Attached Thumbnails Ported and Thermal Barrier coated C55 Manifold-c55mani1.jpg   Ported and Thermal Barrier coated C55 Manifold-c55mani2.jpg   Ported and Thermal Barrier coated C55 Manifold-c55mani3.jpg   Ported and Thermal Barrier coated C55 Manifold-c55mani4.jpg  

Last edited by TVT_DESIGN; 05-27-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
clk500
what was the cost of all that
Old 05-27-2010, 05:23 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Chrysler Crossfire
Originally Posted by buffyclk500
what was the cost of all that
1200.00 with the coating and installation.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 E55 AMG
Nice! Whats the turn around look like, install and all?
Old 05-27-2010, 07:39 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Chrysler Crossfire
We have a core exchange process. So once the order is placed it is about 2-3 days if you want the coating before we can ship. When you receive it just send us your old one back. Zero down time!

If you came in for install we would have one alread done and waiting. Install is roughly 3 hrs.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:11 PM

AMG C43, 1999
Have you dyno tested the porting to see if it made anymore power. I would be curious to see what kind of gains can be made by this type of work.

Jeff
Old 05-27-2010, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C55
keep us posted!
Old 05-28-2010, 07:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
A dyno would certainly strike some interest, especially at 1200. Not ripping on the price either as I've P&P'd 3/4 of one and it takes hours and hours of careful handwork or at least mine did. I think Mbenzman saw 27hp at the (crank/wheels?) with his work. I've got two complete manifolds in stock form if anyone needs one?

How did you go about thermal coating it? I was turned away by a few like swain, calico, etc.. due to the magnesium not being oven friendly..

The ports look good and uniform! I certainly was surprised at the amount of casting imperfections and seams they leave. Any pics of the internals?

-WES-
Old 05-28-2010, 09:14 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Chrysler Crossfire
Originally Posted by NitrogenBalance
A dyno would certainly strike some interest, especially at 1200. Not ripping on the price either as I've P&P'd 3/4 of one and it takes hours and hours of careful handwork or at least mine did. I think Mbenzman saw 27hp at the (crank/wheels?) with his work. I've got two complete manifolds in stock form if anyone needs one?

How did you go about thermal coating it? I was turned away by a few like swain, calico, etc.. due to the magnesium not being oven friendly..

The ports look good and uniform! I certainly was surprised at the amount of casting imperfections and seams they leave. Any pics of the internals?

-WES-
The 1200.00 includes 250.00 for the coating and 250.00 for the install, so its quite a bit less non-coated and not installed.

The coating we use is sprayed on with a paint gun and then baked at 300F for one hour. This is perfectly safe for Magnesium/Aluminum.

The major imperfections are on the runners right before they enter the head, we completely remove these. The only other major imperfections are on the top piece where the third runner set mounts to. The majority of the other work is just smoothing entry points and making everything uniform.

I promise you there will not be a dyno for this car as it has a TB issue we need to address. Plus we do not have a baseline dyno. For now we will have to go by how the customer feels. If they did a track run or base line dyno before then they may do one after, but I'm not aware if they did.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
That's too bad - butt dynos have a very high standard deviation.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:29 PM

05 C55
dyno or track times would sell it for you. maybe ill come and see you. im 20 mins from Atco, and 30 from Etown.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:34 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Chrysler Crossfire
Originally Posted by mkonei
dyno or track times would sell it for you. maybe ill come and see you. im 20 mins from Atco, and 30 from Etown.
I'd be more then happy to cut you a deal if you want to test it at the track. More exposure is always good!

Attached are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails Ported and Thermal Barrier coated C55 Manifold-c555.jpg   Ported and Thermal Barrier coated C55 Manifold-c552.jpg  
Old 05-28-2010, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic
The intake manifold was installed on my car!! Very nice guys, professional and quick work. I do have a couple of dyno's from almost OE through my earlier mods before the installation of this intake manifold, the replacement of my Evotech headers with Kleemann Headers and down tubes, the replacement of the OE secondary cats with the high flow SS cats recommended by AMS, and the reflashing of my car with a Jerry tune replacing the earlier Eurocharged tune. Once I get my bored out TB issue resoved and installed I will re-dyno the car but, I doubt that anyone will be able to ascribe the total hp/tq increase to any one post-initial-dyno-series mod. The earlier dyno's are posted in this forum, just search my screen name (I've forgotten the thread title, it was so long ago).

However, my butt dyno tells me that the character of the car has changed. High speed cruising 80 mph and above is quieter and less dramatic (car feels like it has infinitely more power to give), acceleration is stronger and high speed acceleration frm 80 to 100-120 has been seriously improved (of course, any speed over 55/65 has only been attempted in Mexico).

Also, per my dash dyno, where intake manifold pressure was 5-10 in/hg at idle, it is now 10-20 in/hg at idle and seems to be much greater under acceleration, 35-55 in/hg as opposed to 25-35 in/hg. (Currently, I havn't figured out how to get the dash dyno to give me 0-60 and 1/4 mile times or Hp and Tq numbers, much less graphs -- I use it as in motion monitor -- one day I will become more expert).

Additionally, at highway speeds, per the dash dyno my intake temperature is now only 5 to 7 degrees farenheit over ambient temperature, whereas pre-intake manifold it was 10 to 15 degrees over ambient temperature with but the heat insulated renntech air box, kevlar tubes and phenolic spacers.

In short, I highly recommend this mod but, then again, I am a bit of a fanatic and will have to report back later in the week, etc. to see what kind of an everyday difference this mod makes.

I can't wait for the bored out TB to be remedied and installed!

Last edited by Tump43; 05-28-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 E430
Originally Posted by TVT_DESIGN

The manifold runners are decreased by 2" which allows for slightly better top end power and no loss of low or mid range.
Curious how you accomplished this. Did you remove the parts circled in red in the pic below? I can't think of any other way to shorten the runners that much without some serious redesign work. Aren't those the long runners for low RPM torque? If I'm not mistaken the flaps (yellow arrows) open at a certain higher RPM to shorten the runner length for top end power. Admittedly I don't know a whole lot about these things so that's why I'm curious...... The thermal dispersant on the top is a good idea. I was planning on some sort of thermal barrier on the bottom but didn't even think of the dispersant on the top.

P.S. sorry nitro for stealing your pic
Old 05-28-2010, 11:18 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Chrysler Crossfire
The items circled in red are removed and the remaining piece is removed, cleaned up, ported, and put back. You are correct in assuming that is the only way to shorten runner length. The flaps are necessary to keep the dual stage property working. We have removed that lower half for a blow through manifold though...

The thermal dispersant is for the top. We coat the bottom in a thermal repellant.

Marc, I'm glad you made it home safe and didn't get any tickets, lol. Hopefully we can get the TB issue resolved soon and get your car on a dyno!
Old 05-29-2010, 06:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
We have a customer coming in tomorrow for his new manifold and I thought I'd share some pics of the finished product.
I would be interested in this ported intake manifold for my SLK 55 if a decent amount of power can be acheived.

Can a larger throttle body be installed on the stock manifold? If not, what size are you guys boring the stock TB too?

I would imagine this ported intake manifold would see some good gains over the stock manifold once you install a bored TB, aftermarket cams, and long tube headers.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55
Please keep us updated! If it can put down 27 more hp, this is definitely worth the cash!
Old 05-29-2010, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
https://mbworld.org/forums/clk55-amg...ml#post1792216

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk55-amg...rome-dome.html

Thought that rug looked familiar...

To anyone having trouble reading into what TVT is going for with these manifolds here is a couple good posts from a very solid technician. I suggest reading through them. I used Rich(mbenzman) daily for questions and info and he was nice enough to spend alot of time helping me with it. His work is probably the most done so far as the pics will prove, true race/show quality/detail on this piece.

The heartbrake in this story is that my interior pieces were as shiny as his and one look at my current pics show what magnesium will do on its own even without use over 6 months. The more important smooth surface will remain yet the luster and shine will simply go away as cool as it looks Main reason I and possibly TVT opted to use a coating on the exterior.

-WES-
Old 05-29-2010, 11:05 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Chrysler Crossfire
Originally Posted by NitrogenBalance
https://mbworld.org/forums/clk55-amg...ml#post1792216

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk55-amg...rome-dome.html

Thought that rug looked familiar...

To anyone having trouble reading into what TVT is going for with these manifolds here is a couple good posts from a very solid technician. I suggest reading through them. I used Rich(mbenzman) daily for questions and info and he was nice enough to spend alot of time helping me with it. His work is probably the most done so far as the pics will prove, true race/show quality/detail on this piece.

The heartbrake in this story is that my interior pieces were as shiny as his and one look at my current pics show what magnesium will do on its own even without use over 6 months. The more important smooth surface will remain yet the luster and shine will simply go away as cool as it looks Main reason I and possibly TVT opted to use a coating on the exterior.

-WES-
Yes that was our inspiration for the porting. Definately a good read!

The TB that is going on Marc's car is bored out to the max size of the manifold. However, it seems that who ever ported it didn't change the butterfly and now there are idle issues. We are going to try and resolve the issue for him.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:52 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Chrysler Crossfire
Originally Posted by RLx02
Please keep us updated! If it can put down 27 more hp, this is definitely worth the cash!
I think 27RWHP is very optimistic for a stock engine. On Marc's I would expect 15-20RWHP tops. If you throw in cams then possibly more. The major improvements you will see are better throttle response and a much more responsive top end. Your engine will fell more lively is a good way to put it.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:43 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
Excellent Job TVT, Some before & after dynos would certainly help them sell faster of course though.

With regards to intake manifold modifications. One of the largest determining factors of an engine's character is its intake manifold (as TVT points out). It can drastically alter the way an engine feels and most of the time for the better.

Without dynos its impossible to predict exactly what the gains will be so I will only discuss in generalities. Anytime you shorten the intake manifold path and increase increase its diameter you shift the power up higher in the power band and in some cases you do exchange a little bit of low end torque for more HP. However in most cases the gain in HP exceeds the loss in torque in a typical ratio of 3:1 or 4:1 (Ex. 5tq loss for a 15-20HP gain). In most cases its still well worth it to do, especially on such torque motors as our M113s. However, putting on a set of our headers would completely negate any torque loss and then some as it brings on the torque at a much lower rpm.

I would be very curious to see how the manifold would perform with AMS stage 2 setup, that would be one extremely healthy motor. Those components would work extremely well together and should create an incredibly broad torque & HP curve.

As far as gains, 15-20wHP is entirely possible, but 27 is probably unlikely (of course anything is possible at this point until its dyno proven). Intake manifold upgrades typically produce 2x the gains of a big bore throttle body on an NA engine. Since BBTBs typically produce gains of 8-10HP @ wheels, that would give an estimate of 16-20wHP which is right in line with the given estimates. Its definitely recommended to do the manifold first before BBTB as it produces better gains and changes the overall character of the car.

I say "built it and they will come" , keep up the good work TVT

Last edited by AMS Performance; 05-29-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55
I think 27RWHP is very optimistic for a stock engine. On Marc's I would expect 15-20RWHP tops. If you throw in cams then possibly more. The major improvements you will see are better throttle response and a much more responsive top end. Your engine will fell more lively is a good way to put it.
Well I have kleemann tri-y headers + downpipe and the kleemann tune so I don't know if it would benefit much more than a stock motor.

I just think that this would be much more hp/$$ effective than a BBTB which is ridiculous for the amount of money per horsepower.

I just wish you guys were located here near seattle so I would have minimal downtime for shipping and installation!
Old 05-30-2010, 08:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Well I have kleemann tri-y headers + downpipe and the kleemann tune so I don't know if it would benefit much more than a stock motor.
Did Kleemann switch to a tri-y design at some point? AFAIK, their M113 header design was (is?) a 4-1 mid-length LT header into a cat-delete DP.

Sorry for the OT, TVT - your manifold modifications look pretty solid.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Did Kleemann switch to a tri-y design at some point? AFAIK, their M113 header design was (is?) a 4-1 mid-length LT header into a cat-delete DP.

Just double checked underneath my hood. You're right...I don't know why I thought they were tri-y for some reason.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:51 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Chrysler Crossfire

I just think that this would be much more hp/$$ effective than a BBTB which is ridiculous for the amount of money per horsepower.

I just wish you guys were located here near seattle so I would have minimal downtime for shipping and installation!

We offer a core exchange basis, so the only down time you would have would be the time to install. With your combo you would see similar gains to Marc's car as you have almost the same modifications.

Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM

Don't worry about the OT, I was about to ask the same thing, lol.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ported and Thermal Barrier coated C55 Manifold