C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

bent over by my local MB dealer.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 Elise (total loss)
bent over by my local MB dealer.

I was running high IAT's and the SC was cutting out. Replaced the IC pump, problem was still present. Flow tested the pump into a bucket and it worked fine, tested for power when installed and the pump was working. Took it to MB for them to check codes and determine the problem, they said my car was showing codes related to the IC pump, I told them it was not the IC pump. They charged me $500 for four hours diagnostics saying that my IC pump was functional but they figured my IC or HE was clogged and wanted me to authorize up to 10 hours of diagnostics to flow test the IC and HE.

I took it home hooked up a hose to my IC to see if I could blow air through it (no problem). Then I put a hose to my HE and tried blowing air through it (could barely blow into it). Fifteen minute diagnostic with a rubber hose, my mouth and a clamp. Replaced the HE (Eurocharged) and everything is perfect.

Turns out the previous owner used regular glycol and the green **** corroded and clogged my Heat Exchanger. The dealership is a bunch of fools, I told the guy at the service desk prior to dropping it off that it was something other than the IC pump as it was brand new and had already been tested and determined to be operational by me. I *****ed about the four hours of diagnostics and the service department told me they had to do their own tests on the IC pump as it needed to be properly ruled out. They said that me telling them it was operational was not enough as I'm not a Mercedes Technician. Crooks!

Anyhow, I've since purchased a cheap MB star code reader from the internet, when I have problems I get a daily subscription to MB startek info and fix my own problems. That site is amazing!

(note) A regular OBD2 code reader will not read star codes.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Marsaydees
more info the on the STAR code reader please
Old 05-30-2010, 09:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 GL450 2005 C55 2002 C32 sold 2001 ML320 sold
+1

What model, where to purchase/rent?
Old 05-30-2010, 09:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 GTO, adding Kompressor soon ??!!!
+1 on the Star Code Reader-sounds like a good site to bookmark
Old 05-30-2010, 10:02 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
star is still not cheap. For the overseas unit your still looking at a grand plus (we have a few of them)

Now do yourself a favor and get developer mode on it, more fun!
Old 05-30-2010, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
$500 for four hours’ diagnostics sounds about right.

No discounting for our near-worthless W203’s labor rate. There is often a massive disconnect between a SA and the technician to whom it’s assigned. Must be noted my former SA approved several costly MBUSA goodwill repairs before being deemed redundant. You might stumble across a knowledgeable and dedicated gearhead at some dealerships, although most of them promptly go on to build successful independent service and repair businesses of their own.

Flow and pressure tested my OE replacement intercooler and aftermarket heat exchanger during the course of their DIY replacement. Figured 10+ gallons-per-minute (sans restriction) was sufficient. The first generation LET heat exchanger flows and dissipates well. Perhaps the later (C3P?) ‘turbulator’ design is more susceptible to blockage? Did get some funky debris out of its original breached intercooler fluid circuit, in spite of regular replacements using MB’s recommended HOAT antifreeze and soft water.

Consistently log less than 25° above ambient during the cool-down phase after extended WOT at closed course events.
Best wishes with yours.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 Elise (total loss)
https://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/Login.jsp

Can only use US credit cards... I had some issued as a Canadian but figured my way around it.