C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Future owner of C32 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Future owner of C32 AMG

Hello everyone,

I'm from the Netherlands and I'm thinking of buying a C32. Of course, as fast as the car is by itself, it's never enough I've been lurking around since 2007 but this is my first post. I read a lot of topics about upgrading the C32 but I still have some questions as most people here go all the way (upgrading everything). I was actually only thinking of upgrading either the crank pulley or the supercharger pulley in combination with an ECU tune. So no improvements on the heat exchanger and air intake.

1. Before the 185mm LET pulley came available, most people were using an ASP 178mm or using the code 3 S/C pulley, is that correct?

2. The 185mm pulley is probably something I should take a pass on, because it requires to upgrade the HE and AI as well... so it seems... Not everyone agrees upon the matter of necessity but most say it's recommended at least. So say I want to do the 185mm pulley upgrade but not the HE / AI.. When will I get into trouble? Is it only when you are driving top speed for several minutes? Is it when you are racing for half an hour around the track?? Or already when you are cruising your way to work and one traffic light sprint will kill the power?

3. If I were to stick with the pulley + ECU upgrade, what is the best possible option here? 178mm ASP? Code 3 SC? Perhaps the 181mm LET?

4. Next question, here in the Netherlands we have some ECU tuners as well. From my point of view, I experienced a lot of professional people in the scene. Do you think a tuner out here would also be able to perform the trick or is it really necessary to get a tuner who also fabricates the pulleys themselves.. Hold in mind that the tuner I went to before drives the car, tunes the programme a bit, drivers the car again... adjusting the parameters here and there... and so on until he is statisfied about the upgrade ánd the safety for the engine itself.

5. Also it's not clear to me in all the topics I read what the performance increase is with the several upgrades. Most people only test their upgraded cars so not much of a before and after comparison. Yes there are some numbers like 14-16-18-20 or even 22 psi boost but I would really like to know an estimation of some of the possible setups...
Stock vs Code 3 SC Pulley and ECU tune, perhaps +30-40HP?
Stock vs 178mm Pulley and ECU tune, +35-45HP?
Stock vs 185mm LET, CAI, HE, ECU tune combo is like like +50-60HP???

I'm really thrilled to hear your honest opinions!
Old 10-03-2010, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
1. yes

2. heat exchanger upgrade is recommended even if you don't run a 185 or not. The stock heat exchanger is subpar and you will lose power as the car starts to pull timing from the high IAT. After about 3 or 4 hard pulls you'll pretty much start losing power from heat soak.

3. I would recommend a 185 pulley + ecu tune and pulley saver kit. If your modding, that means you want more power. Only make sense to put on the modifications that will provide the maximum amount of power.

4. If they can tune modern mercedes cars, then yes they can tune your car with the pulley.

5. code3 + tune + HE is probably 45-48hp crank

185 + tune + HE is probably 70-80 crank

185 + tune + HE + headers probably around 100hp crank
Old 10-03-2010, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32, 911 SC
If your local tuner can read mercedes' parameters, I would recommend getting a custom dyno tune to maximize the potential of all your mods.

I would also get HE with any mods, I believe that is the most crucial upgrade you can make besides CM30 IC pump. You wouldn't want to be able to beat M3 for two runs and then did not pull on them after, ask me how I know
Old 10-04-2010, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Exclamation

Whatever you do good luck research,research,research!