MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203-48/)
-   -   Washed engine, now car won't start (https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203/378721-washed-engine-now-car-wont-start.html)

C_DirtyTwo 12-09-2010 10:26 PM

Washed engine, now car won't start

I washed my engine last night, I did use the hose but did not get too much water on there.

Car sat over night until this afternoon, I go to start it and nothing. Car doesnt turn over, or even make any noise for that matter.
Alternator is new.
The lights work and the key works to unlock the doors and stuff so I am assuming it is not the battery or the key.

Any one know what it could be? Could I have gotten water somewhere it shouldn't be somehow?

I'll be back tomorrow afternoon to try to start it again..

Njamg55 12-10-2010 12:24 AM

thats horrible

ohlord 12-10-2010 12:51 AM

Never assume

it is not the battery mb's are high draw starters and even lights or doors are no indication of charge. When it drops below a set voltage it just won't turn over at all.
Charge the battery key out via the underhood charging post and a good clean negative connection to the chassis.
Then try to start.
If it starts you will most likely have abs esp warning lights but just turn the steering wheel all the way lock to lock and back a few times to reset the steering angle sensor.

wally AMG 12-10-2010 02:00 AM

:eek:

559EVO 12-10-2010 02:48 AM

I never hose down my engines, I hope everything works tommorow.

C_DirtyTwo 12-10-2010 11:46 AM

my brother called me and said the alarm is now going off, I'm not going to be home for another 6 hours so I'm sure the battery will be dead by the time I get home since I have both sets of keys

alumar 12-10-2010 12:47 PM

Wet coil pack, grounding it out maybe ...

pull intake off, yank the plug wires and make sure all dry ... sounds like an ignition issue

Klinh 12-10-2010 12:53 PM

You always start the engine right after you wash it to dry out the water. Trying using the air hose to blow out all water and moistures left over night.

ohlord 12-10-2010 01:10 PM

Wet coil pack

or water in the plug recesses is not going to prevent a M112 from turning over not at all. Don't waste time pulling the intake and packs and drying plugs. They are not the issue. Charge the battery. Start there.

Gramma_Benz 12-10-2010 03:42 PM

If the alarm is going off, it means the battery's dead

TemjinX2 12-10-2010 04:37 PM

the grounds for the oem harness are in the valley of the engine where the intercooler is, so if theres a lot of water build up there, the car might not be turning on to prevent a short to the ecu. But try the battery but try to check for excess water in the valley. Its really easy for water to be trap there and there no real way of draining the water there short of letting the engine burn it off.

C_DirtyTwo 12-10-2010 08:36 PM

Thank you guys for all the help!! Much appreciated!

So I got home and the siren was going off, since the battery had died and the alarm stopped working. I charged the battery and jump started my car, and it worked. So far it's been good

So maybe the water wasn't the issue? I did start the car after I washed the engine, but then it sat after that....

Not sure how to battery could have died, I didn't leave anything on :nix: or why the alarm randomly went off

Newzchspy 12-10-2010 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by C_DirtyTwo (Post 4404841)
Thank you guys for all the help!! Much appreciated!

So I got home and the siren was going off, since the battery had died and the alarm stopped working. I charged the battery and jump started my car, and it worked. So far it's been good

So maybe the water wasn't the issue? I did start the car after I washed the engine, but then it sat after that....

Not sure how to battery could have died, I didn't leave anything on :nix: or why the alarm randomly went off

** Next time, don't wash your engine, I've heard this happening many a time **

C_DirtyTwo 12-10-2010 09:26 PM

Yeah, I've never had an issue with it before, but now I'm going to stick to wiping it down with a damp microfiber that's for sure!!

Gramma_Benz 12-10-2010 09:35 PM

Make sure you charge your battery with a battery charger and not your alternator.
Trust me, if you overtax your alternator, it will die soon too.

C_DirtyTwo 12-11-2010 12:45 AM

i charged it by jumping it and letting it run. By letting it run is that charging it by using the alternator? My alternator is pretty new

raymond g- 12-11-2010 12:50 AM

the point is that alternators were never made to charge a deeply discharged
battery, but only to provide supplemental charging. one should determine
the degree of battery discharge before selecting the method needed to
recharge. if the battery is below ....mmm....12 vdc, you really should go
with a trickle or 10 amp charger.

jturkel 12-12-2010 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by C_DirtyTwo (Post 4405505)
i charged it by jumping it and letting it run. By letting it run is that charging it by using the alternator? My alternator is pretty new

NEVER JUMP YOUR CAR! it will blow your rear SAM. in the future, use a trickle charger

ScottW911 12-12-2010 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by jturkel (Post 4408311)
NEVER JUMP YOUR CAR! it will blow your rear SAM. in the future, use a trickle charger

Urban myth. I've had MB roadside jump mine before and they confirmed that this is a myth. The C32 can be jumped with a proper jump system.

C_DirtyTwo 12-13-2010 12:03 AM

I jumped mine with regular jumper cables, it's been working fine ever since. Next time a trickle charger will be a better choice, but let's hope there is no next time

Zippity 07-03-2017 10:35 AM

I did the exact same thing and now have intermittent battery failures. Any luck finding a proper diagnosis?

boohooramblers 07-23-2017 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Zippity (Post 7198784)
I did the exact same thing and now have intermittent battery failures. Any luck finding a proper diagnosis?

If you've ruled out the issues discussed above in this thread (and you know your battery is good), then it's time to think about battery-draining problems in this car: the first thing I'd look at is the seat control modules which are quite commonly defective.