C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Does a loud supercharger pulley have to be replaced?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:01 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
'02 C32, '10 135i M-Sport, '10 E63, '17 GLE63S
Originally Posted by Glasgow Gold
So, the surgery was completed today and overall it's good news.

The supercharger pulley bearing was indeed shot. You can see the wear/burn marks in the last picture below. It was replaced with the NSK bearing purchased via ebay and the link above.

This substantially reduced the noise, but there were other issues. The grooved idler pulley was also making alot of noise so, as that is a cheap part readily available from the dealer, the mechanic also changed that. The smooth idler pulley was dry so the grease was repacked. Then, in the course of all of the testing, the check engine light went on, the car went into limp mode and a faulty accelerator pedal was replaced! Never a dull moment.

So, as the before and after videos show, the car does sound better. More importantly, now my mechanic feels that remaining noise is just annoying - not something that's going to cause bits to start spraying around the engine. He feels the remaining noise is attributable to the supercharger clutch flex plate.

Thank you all for your helpful advice in getting right to the bad bearing diagnosis. Saved me lots of time, hassle and money. Dinner and drinks on me next time you are in the Bay Area (ok, ok, feel free to insert your favorite SF-bashing joke here)!

Before:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcRBCYfIw9E

After:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPEHIo-AR8o

That's... incredible! I can't wait for mine to get here!

Slightly OT - it still sounds like you have a bit of a knocking sound. Is that just reverb from the garage? Mine has the same sort of tune to it, on top of the screeching.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
You’re likely now good to go through 2011, Glasgow Gold, and that much closer to a Model S.

Appreciate the update!
Old 03-22-2011, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 C32
Originally Posted by evilsaint
That's... incredible! I can't wait for mine to get here!

Slightly OT - it still sounds like you have a bit of a knocking sound. Is that just reverb from the garage? Mine has the same sort of tune to it, on top of the screeching.
Little bit of both. Acoustics inside the garage are not ideal (wanted the same environment for an accurate before & after) but also there are many different things making noise. As others have said, might as well change the idler pulleys while you're messing around in there.

Originally Posted by splinter
You’re likely now good to go through 2011, Glasgow Gold, and that much closer to a Model S.

Appreciate the update!
Old 06-01-2011, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
range rover looking for a new w206
Ive just replaced the bearing on my supercharger , I did not know that a bearing could make so much noise and still work , I did it using the oven and frezer trick and every thing went ok and now I am wishing i had done this a long time ago
Old 06-13-2011, 12:02 AM

2005 C230WZ, 2004 E55, 2004 Audi S4
oven and freezer trick?? Would this be helpful if a press is not available?
Old 06-13-2011, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
range rover looking for a new w206
take off the pulley undo the circlip, knock the bearing through the pully ( from the back !!) then place the pulley in an oven at 250deg C for 30-40 mins and at the same time place the bearing in the deep frezze . after 30- 40 mins remove the pulley and place on a piece of wood take the bearing from the frezzer and drop it in ti should just drop in,and let cool a light tap some times helps if the bearing just sticks at the end because the bearing is warming up ...
Old 09-03-2011, 01:42 AM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by gt4awd
It's $1,500 for the entire electromagnetic clutch assembly with new belt pulley. Your problem isn't the clutch. The pulley bearing needs to be replaced. It cost $50 dollars for the bearing. Use the search this is discussed often...

Well first thing, I am new here. I just aquired a 2002 C32 from a used car lot here in Denver. 101,000 mi, and all the service records from 500 mi to 97,000 mi. 10 scheduled oil changes, 2 coolant flushes, 1 factory O.E.M. I/C pump R/R @ 70k, 1 transmission service @ 70k, and 1 power steering system flush at 70K. All performed by Mercedes of Littleton, CO. Mint front to back. Paid 11k, good deal?

The only issue I have is the bearing in the charger pulley is going, and I must say this site is most useful to help from spending $1400 on parts from the dealer. LoL.

What I have found in my research with, your forum, NSK Americas, Mercedes, and Local NSK Distributors. The bearing stated earlier in the thread NSK 32db45dum, in fact has a different NSK #. The # you have listed is the # Mercedes has stamped on the bearing for there manufacturing and parts support identification. If you call NSK Americas # 1-888-446-5675, and get to an operator. You can give them your state and closest major city, and they will give you a local distributor. When I called the local NSK distributor and gave them the # they had to call NSK because the # wasn't in there database. The number that NSK superseeded to was this NSK-32BD45A1T12DDUCG21. BEST OF ALL it only cost me $27 delivered and its even the right junk.

Wanted to share this to save everyone a few bucks.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
Looking for tips on things to try to get the pulley off the supercharger shaft - other than pound on it - there must be some pulley puller that's small enough fingers to fit between the pulley ridges?...

...help a brother out.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
Originally Posted by Bif powell
Looking for tips on things to try to get the pulley off the supercharger shaft - other than pound on it - there must be some pulley puller that's small enough fingers to fit between the pulley ridges?...

...help a brother out.
So I got two flat head screw drivers and put just the tip on each side of the pulley and just kind of pried it about 1mm, then it started to slide off.

Running nice and quiet now.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:49 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Thats lucky, I had to use a hammer, I couldn't even get a screwdriver in the gap. If you can get a screwdriver in each side of the gap it probably wouldn't ruin the clutch surface unless it required heaps of force.