MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203-48/)
-   -   Tint removal - will not ruin rear defogger? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203/398011-tint-removal-will-not-ruin-rear-defogger.html)

CFiftyFive 04-28-2011 10:53 AM

Tint removal - will not ruin rear defogger?

I'm planning to remove the tint on my C55. I'm just concerned of the issues that may arise from removing the rear windshield tint.

Will it ruin the defogger lines when the old tint it peeled off?

Anybody here who has successfully removed the rear tint without any issues?

I've done a search but didn't find a thread about tint removal and defogger.

mgiannetto 04-28-2011 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by CFiftyFive (Post 4647909)
I'm planning to remove the tint on my C55. I'm just concerned of the issues that may arise from removing the rear windshield tint.

Will it ruin the defogger lines when the old tint it peeled off?

Anybody here who has successfully removed the rear tint without any issues?

I've done a search but didn't find a thread about tint removal and defogger.

I had it removed from my Saab and there was no damage to the rear window defroster. However, it has to be done right and carefully. I decided to have mine done professionally - found a very competent window tint guy in NJ. Wish I could be more specific as to the protocol, but that's all I know. It can be done though.

ruben65 04-29-2011 02:58 AM

From my understanding you want to get the rear window and tint nice and evenly hot so that the tint will get soft and it will peel easily with minimum stick or tearing.

Let us know how it works out for you. Any before and after pics would be nice.

Here is a guy that shows you how to do it yourself on youtube about 4:23 into the video, there are other videos as well.
Window Tint Removal

mikekuriger 04-29-2011 09:58 AM

I removed mine myself, and the defogger still works.

SoCalC55 04-29-2011 09:45 PM

I had my old 35% tint replaced with 15% and have had no issues since with my defroster

Just make sure you are going to a half decent place

CFiftyFive 04-29-2011 11:06 PM

Can MB dealerships do this properly? I just don't know any reputable tint shop around here :(

14cue 04-30-2011 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by CFiftyFive (Post 4650527)
Can MB dealerships do this properly? I just don't know any reputable tint shop around here :(

I could be wrong but I don't think the dealer offers this kind of service. Might depend on the dealer I suppose. Surely they would just call in a guy to do it if they offered it. :nix:

I have been meaning to remove mine as well and have the same concern.

Keep us posted.

dynomite05 04-30-2011 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by mgiannetto (Post 4648043)
I had it removed from my Saab and there was no damage to the rear window defroster. However, it has to be done right and carefully. I decided to have mine done professionally - found a very competent window tint guy in NJ. Wish I could be more specific as to the protocol, but that's all I know. It can be done though.

All this info is good to know. I want to take mine off and make them a little darker. Can you share any info on the shop that did it?

mgiannetto 04-30-2011 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by dynomite05 (Post 4651092)
All this info is good to know. I want to take mine off and make them a little darker. Can you share any info on the shop that did it?

Absolutely. His name is Lee and his company contact info is as follows:

Applied Film Technologies, LLC
725 Fairfield Ave
Kenilworth, NJ 07033
cell: 973.477.6717
leeberbs@comcast.net

I have found it is easiest to get in touch with him through e-mail.

Run a Google search under the name "Lee Berbs" and you'll see why I choose him. His reputation is incredible. Guys come from a great distance to have him do their tint. I could not have been happier with the job he did for me - removing old tint and installing new tint.

pww 04-30-2011 02:48 PM

I asked my dealer to do it and they sent me to a tint shop that they have do their tints. Most any tint shop that can do a quality tint job can take tint off in a proper way.

dynomite05 04-30-2011 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by mgiannetto (Post 4651160)
Absolutely. His name is Lee and his company contact info is as follows:

Applied Film Technologies, LLC
725 Fairfield Ave
Kenilworth, NJ 07033
cell: 973.477.6717
leeberbs@comcast.net

I have found it is easiest to get in touch with him through e-mail.

Run a Google search under the name "Lee Berbs" and you'll see why I choose him. His reputation is incredible. Guys come from a great distance to have him do their tint. I could not have been happier with the job he did for me - removing old tint and installing new tint.

Thanks, appreciate it.