MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203-48/)
-   -   Pleasant Suprise (https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203/399643-pleasant-suprise.html)

BrandonS 05-10-2011 06:39 PM

Pleasant Suprise

Went to lunch today with some friends and took the C55. Since the weather has been in the 90's I left the sunroof cracked to let out some heat. Well while I was in work a storm rolled through and since I have no windows in my building I had no idea. Well after work when I went outside to get in the car I noticed the car had automatically closed he sunroof when it sensed rain.

Probably a feature that everyone else expects/knows about but I never thought about it and was pretty happy to not have a soaked interior. I'm assuming it will also close the windows?

Budget Baller 05-10-2011 06:45 PM

I believe most of the C55's do this. (Pretty awesome feature) Some of the later 32's do as well.

MercedesFTW 05-10-2011 09:27 PM

What?? This is a crazy story. Honestly that is a surprise to me!

EDIT: I have the rain sensing wiper option, but they are really terrible. Randomly will turn on the wipers in a bright and sunny day. Sometimes won't start up unless it's really pouring out.

PC Valkyrie 05-10-2011 09:30 PM

Yeah, this is news to me. I must presume that this feature only works if you have the rain sensing wiper option?

I don't, so I doubt I have this feature.

BrandonS 05-10-2011 09:52 PM

Yea I have the rain sensing wipers as well. I do like them, bit I get phantom wipes as well. I usually turn the wipersnon off and treat that feature as am autospeed feature rather than auto on.

EDIT: Just went outside with a hose and got nothing spraying it on the windshield with the sunroof cracked and also with everything fully open. Neighbors probably think I'm nuts if they saw me.

xxaarraa 05-10-2011 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by BrandonS (Post 4666820)
Yea I have the rain sensing wipers as well. I do like them, bit I get phantom wipes as well. I usually turn the wipersnon off and treat that feature as am autospeed feature rather than auto on.

EDIT: Just went outside with a hose and got nothing spraying it on the windshield with the sunroof cracked and also with everything fully open. Neighbors probably think I'm nuts if they saw me.

So are you saying this feature does not exist? Confused,

F1Bobby 05-10-2011 10:29 PM

Note to self! Close all windows and sunroof!

BrandonS 05-10-2011 10:34 PM

I guess not, but I could have sworn I had it cracked and my buddy said it was as well. Now I'm kind of confused. Searching on google says this does not work either especially when it's only tilted.

*shrug*

saer1one 05-10-2011 11:51 PM

I believe the sensor is somewhere by the moonroof itself and not on the windshield..

02C32guy 05-11-2011 09:26 AM

The sensor is behind the rear view mirror on the windshield. I know this because I've had to replace my windshield three times. You always have to tell them you have that option.

The way it works is it sends out a beam of IR and when that beam is bent or broken the wipers turn on. This is why you occasionally get phantom wipes and also why sometimes they won't turn on during certain types of rain.

Like Brandon said, I don't leave them on all the time. I just turn it on if it looks like rain. They beat the hell out of having to constantly change intermittent wiper speeds.

saer1one 05-11-2011 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by 02C32guy (Post 4667442)
The sensor is behind the rear view mirror on the windshield. I know this because I've had to replace my windshield three times. You always have to tell them you have that option.

The way it works is it sends out a beam of IR and when that beam is bent or broken the wipers turn on. This is why you occasionally get phantom wipes and also why sometimes they won't turn on during certain types of rain.

Like Brandon said, I don't leave them on all the time. I just turn it on if it looks like rain. They beat the hell out of having to constantly change intermittent wiper speeds.

So the rain sensor for the wipers also closes the moonroof when it detects rain..??

Mark.D 05-11-2011 08:07 PM

we need myth busters up in this b.

MIKESV8 05-11-2011 10:50 PM

i'll try it right now as well with a hose.

MIKESV8 05-11-2011 11:07 PM

it does not work. tried it with doors locked with sky roof propped up and with a hose sprayed water on the front windshiled

Greger-meister 05-12-2011 01:50 AM

If this is true... then that is awesome, and the Germans really do think of everything! If you are mistaken... then it sounds as if you have serendipitously invented a great feature that you should submit to MB.

xxaarraa 05-12-2011 05:13 AM

I think there is another test we can do. The moon roof may be timed to close after a certain number of hours? I am going to leave it open in the garage and see if it closed itself by the time I get back home tonight.

02C32guy 05-12-2011 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by xxaarraa (Post 4669078)
I think there is another test we can do. The moon roof may be timed to close after a certain number of hours? I am going to leave it open in the garage and see if it closed itself by the time I get back home tonight.

I can't speak for the C55, but mine certainly doesn't. I've left mine open over night by accident lots of times.

MIKESV8 05-12-2011 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by xxaarraa (Post 4669078)

negative on that.

mikekuriger 05-12-2011 02:45 PM

This might be something that can be enabled in the computer. I believe they have to disable "automatic" window activation due to safety concerns. My audi S4 had this feature disabled as well but I was able to enable it with a code. It also allowed me to close the windows with the remote.

Mark.D 05-14-2011 08:40 PM

When the hose test was tried, did you make sure the rain sensing wipers were on? ie... did the wipers run with the sunroof open when the hose was sprayed over the sensor?

Beaker 05-14-2011 10:17 PM

Maybe your mum/wife closed it for you and didn't tell you? lol

MIKESV8 05-14-2011 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mark.D (Post 4673007)
When the hose test was tried, did you make sure the rain sensing wipers were on? ie... did the wipers run with the sunroof open when the hose was sprayed over the sensor?

are you referring to me? yes, i tried it with the windshield wiper switch on and off.

Quicktwinturbo 05-14-2011 11:32 PM

I thought about this few days ago..Wouldn't mind having this feature on SLK...I never heard about this feature though.
Try harder MK.. Take one for the team! lol

ricecooker713 05-15-2011 11:17 AM

I believe there is this option in the w211's. SDS developer version is the only way to unlock it

amgen 05-15-2011 12:50 PM

Iīve now read in my european Owners Manual following:

Rainclosing:

The sunroof closes automatically

-if it starts to rain
-at extreme outside temperature
-after 12 hours
-in case of electric powerdisturbance.

In connection with automatic sunroofclosing, the sunroof
raises in the rear for further ventilation.

The sunroof does not close if

-itīs raised in the rear
-itīs blocked
-the rain doesnīt hit the windscreen (ie itīs been standing
under a bridge or in a garage).

There you go folks!
:popcorn:

//Peter.