C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Awesome DTM-style steering wheel conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C55
Awesome DTM-style steering wheel conversion

Hey all - I've been following this group for months since I bought my W203 C55 and just wanted to thank everyone for the great 'tribal knowledge' that you put up here which have helped me figure a lot of stuff out on my car :-)

That said, I want to share a great mod I'm about to install in my car: I found a vendor for a 'DTM-style' steering wheel on eBay who is both LEGIT *and* VERY customer-service oriented! What a score, lol!

Below is a hyperlink for a listing they have up for a D-shape conversion with leather and alcantara but I actually worked with them and had them make me a custom full-alcantara wheel with AMG-style stitching and a custom 2mm (instead of the HUGELY thick 3mm on their ebay listing) padding. I want to be clear, I'm only posting to share this b/c it seems like there's a lot of crap out there when it comes to steering wheels and these guys are legit and very good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Ivan is the guy who handled all my calls and worked with me the whole way through. It cost me $800 after grinding with him but he said if any of you guys want to do a 'group buy' that he could maybe work the price down a bit? Anyway, I just want to let you know it's good work. The only cautionary note is it takes about 5-6 weeks b/c they did the conversion in Taiwan and shipped here. It's a core-exchange deal so you pay half ($400) up front w/order, and the other half plus a few hundred in 'core exchange guarantee' when they finish it and ship it to you. Then they refund your 'guarantee' back when you ship them your OEM wheel back to their California address. Sounds strange but was really easy and great guys to work with - very responsive by phone and email.

So, anyway, for whatever it's worth, just wanted to let you guys know and here are a few pics of the work :-) I'll have it installed on Tuesday when I pick my car up from the shop and I'll post installed pics then
Attached Thumbnails Awesome DTM-style steering wheel conversion-photo-1.jpg   Awesome DTM-style steering wheel conversion-photo-2.jpg   Awesome DTM-style steering wheel conversion-photo-3.jpg   Awesome DTM-style steering wheel conversion-photo-4.jpg  
Old 06-05-2011, 12:17 PM

2005 C55
Clarification on Pricing for DTM Wheel Conversion

All - just for clarification, my wheel was only about $800 (the 'normal' conversion is around $1000, I think) but that's because I was just doing straight alcantara with a thinner under-wrap (2mm) which was a lot easier and cheap then doing the standard leather/alcantara mixed covering with the 3mm super-thick wrap. Just didn't want to give a wrong impression.

Again, I'll post up 'installed' pics in a few days :-)
Old 06-08-2011, 07:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 CLK 55
Looks sweet. I really want a DTM wheel for my CLK.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
so sweet! are there any less expensive steering wheel options?
Old 06-25-2011, 02:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
While this is very nice steering wheel, it is also a sad commentary on our country. We can take a steering wheel, send it to another country thousands of miles away to be remanufactured and sent back here, go through shipping and customs twice, for cheaper than just having it done here. Something is wrong with this picture.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
not that i know how to do it, but it cant be hard to do it right...alot of cutting, molding and laying fabric and stitch
Old 06-25-2011, 04:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by vdubpower
not that i know how to do it, but it cant be hard to do it right...alot of cutting, molding and laying fabric and stitch
VERY hard lol
Old 06-25-2011, 05:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Originally Posted by DuaneC63
While this is very nice steering wheel, it is also a sad commentary on our country. We can take a steering wheel, send it to another country thousands of miles away to be remanufactured and sent back here, go through shipping and customs twice, for cheaper than just having it done here. Something is wrong with this picture.
Nothing is wrong with this picture. This is why so many of us own our own homes, live in big cities, have many fine amenities in life. While others in other countries live in much "different" ways. The capitalist and credit system is what has given us this opportunity - it just means that everything is more expensive though.

By the way, look at the car that you've been given the opportunity to drive.

Nice steering wheel man
Old 06-25-2011, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
wow check this one out!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...ht_2974wt_1027
Old 06-26-2011, 02:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
I believe they are a forum sponsor?

Good looking wheel there! I like your all alcantara one better than the one they have on the ebay listing. Get some metal paddleshifters and you've got a mean looking set up