C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Who developed their own air intake system? Why aren't more folks doing this?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:32 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
CLS55
Who developed their own air intake system? Why aren't more folks doing this?

So I'm looking at Needswings dial air intake...and I had this thought years ago too...why aren't more people just finding an inline air filter canister then purchasing the needed ducting to make their own?

The price on that is pretty salty and from my own research (which took a while, not really easy to find I found)...I think I could put something together much cheaper...and if we want to flow bench something these aren't too expensive anymore so I'm sure anyone can find someone who'll do it for you pretty cheap.

For those who did make their own, what did you do, how and did it work for you?
Old 05-04-2012, 12:18 PM

CLS55
I see K&N had an inline filter we could all use...but it looks limited, once a while back I had an email with a manufacturer of some inline filter/canisters....if I can find out who that was I'll let you guys know so we can dsicuss this more...maybe we can develop a DIY solution that works well.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32, 911 SC
I am planning to do something similar. The tricky part is finding an aluminum fabricator that can bend the pipe that goes out of the y-pipe to the inline filter canisters.

I think I might have found a solution though, because I found a place that sells high-grade high-temp resistant radiator hose that is large enough to go over the SL55 y-pipe. I purchased some of these hoses from them and it perfectly fits over the y-pipe, and best of all it is very flexible.

My setup would be:
1. SL55 y-pipe
2. Radiator hose
3. Inline filter canisters
5. Tubes to radiator shroud

I am planning to thermal wrap the whole thing to reduce heat. Let me know when you can get a hold of that inline filter ,manufacturers.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Post pics of the stuff you have and prices. I have an inline filter setup but i need to close it from the radiator area to about 8-10 inches away to complete a fully closed system.
Originally Posted by ddtham
I am planning to do something similar. The tricky part is finding an aluminum fabricator that can bend the pipe that goes out of the y-pipe to the inline filter canisters.

I think I might have found a solution though, because I found a place that sells high-grade high-temp resistant radiator hose that is large enough to go over the SL55 y-pipe. I purchased some of these hoses from them and it perfectly fits over the y-pipe, and best of all it is very flexible.

My setup would be:
1. SL55 y-pipe
2. Radiator hose
3. Inline filter canisters
5. Tubes to radiator shroud

I am planning to thermal wrap the whole thing to reduce heat. Let me know when you can get a hold of that inline filter ,manufacturers.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:10 PM

CLS55
yeah I also intend to use the SL55 y-pipe as foundation of my setup...

have you looked at the spectre stuff for the ducting? They have a ton of options to select from on their site. I'm not sold on their filters but I'd be ok with some of their aluminum ducting...

I wanted to do some measurements to see if something there would work....even if I need to modify it a bit.

Also, yes a closed system is a must for mine as well...
Old 05-04-2012, 05:38 PM

C32, 911 SC
I will take pictures of the hoses when I get home today, they costs around $1.5/inch. I have not looked into Spectre yet for ducting, what would you recommend for the inline filter canisters though?
Old 05-04-2012, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Because without other much more expensive mods this does nothing but make your engine bay look cheap in your AMG
Old 05-04-2012, 06:37 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Originally Posted by Viper98912
Because without other much more expensive mods this does nothing but make your engine bay look cheap in your AMG
+1. I know we don't exactly drive ferrari's, lambo's etc but the amg is a nice enough car to want to make the intake look great which is not an easy task. The needswings intake is expensive, no doubt about it but it looks excellent and has the performance and vendor support to back it up.

You can get some giant K&N's and a short length of pipe and probably improve performance but I certainly wouldn't want that done to my car.

I am looking at modifiying the stock air boxes. The way I see it the boxes are not the problem, the pleated filters flow well and there are aftermarket ones available also. The pipes and the Y-pipe are the restriction. I am going to see if I can change the inlet/outlets of the stock boxes to 3" and run 3" pipe to and from them and make a new Y-pipe from aluminum. Space is the biggest problem with this approach but I also want it to look OEM. If it isn't going to work then needswings it is.

Doing a great job will also help keep your resale value.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:07 AM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by ddtham
I will take pictures of the hoses when I get home today, they costs around $1.5/inch. I have not looked into Spectre yet for ducting, what would you recommend for the inline filter canisters though?
Spectre has nice inline canisters that can be had for about $120 for both sides for our cars. Thats what I am using and am very pleased with them. Also if you call Spectre they are very helpful in trying to find you the right parts that will fit.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:40 PM

CLS55
Yeah the comments on it looking cheap...umm, aluminum ducting, inline closed canister filters...closed system (meaning we still leverage to cold air intake ports)...that's the same thing you're getting on the NW system...of course you may not like that one as well.

and to me, you could drop a big turd on my intake manifold and if it gives me more hp I'm fine with it....I don't pop my hood unless I'm working on it.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:47 PM

C32, 911 SC
+1 I think it would look good if we were to follow NW's recipe.

Also, we can always convert it back to stock when it's time to sell.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:12 PM

C32, 911 SC
Just an update for anyone interested, but I decided to move forward with the intake and just purchased:
1. Spectre inline air box (3 inch inlet/outlet diameter) x2
2. 12" 90 degrees mandrel bent (3 inch diameter) aluminum tubing x2 which connects Sceet air duct and inline air box. This will have to be cut and adjusted accordingly
3. Sceet air duct (3 inch diameter) which will go from y-pipe to the #2 above (many people have used them and they are rated for up to 500 F)
4. 12" aluminum tubing (3 inch diameter) x2
5. Bunch of 3 inch diameter black silicone couplers to connect the tubes and filters
6. T-hose clamps to tighten them all nicely
7. PCV adapter kit to maintain the oem valve cover breather hose

In essence the tubing will be 3 inch from radiator shroud to y-pipe which will improve the air flow tremendously. Spectre air box is rated at 450 cfm each and the filter itself is 4 inch in diameter at its widest. I got everything for under $280 shipped, but keep in mind that there will be some cutting and fabrication required.

I will keep you updated when the items get here next week.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:30 PM

CLS55
excellent! that's exactly what I was considering almost exactly. I assume you're still looking to use the SL55 y-pipe.... very interested.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:19 PM

C32, 911 SC
Yes, I am very excited to do this diy. I will still be using the sl55 y-pipe, but will be connecting it to the 90 degrees aluminum tubing using sceet duct.

My y-pipe did not come with intake hoses, so I had to find a good alternative. I found that the silicone hose that I had did not conform to bending very well.

My only concern is that sceet duct is not recommended for negative pressure, which is what the pipe would be exposed to when sc spools and tb opens. I will however only use a contracted portion of sceet over the y-pipe and tighten it with t-bolt clamps that are less intrusive in nature compared to worm clamps.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:50 PM

Kompressor Sport Sedan 05 M271
I built a pretty basic intake using the existing airbox, inside is a K&N filter, I used aluminum piping and foil wrap + clamps and zip ties to hold it strong. Car runs cooler, Its in my build thread

Although the M271 will be alot easier and different than your amg intake
Old 05-18-2012, 07:25 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Because the full 55k airbox is pretty cheap.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

e36 318i, 2004 sti
I plan on doing wat gt4awd did.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C63
No honda parts for me thanks.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

e36 318i, 2004 sti
LOL. I want to make mine look a little better however.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:50 PM

C32, 911 SC
I finally completed my intake system using the tools that I described above. What took the longest was cutting the aluminum tubes, but all in all it took me 4 hours total to finish.

I also painted the inline air filters with low gloss black thermal paint

The car is much faster according to butt dyno, especially at mid-range and higher pm. With my old C3P intake, the car feels flat if I was to hit full throttle at around 40 to 60 mph, while this just keep pulling.

I will do a dyno with both intakes over the summer to see how much rwhp I am picking up.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:38 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Thats excellent, great work. I am not so sure about the orange pieces but otherwise it looks fantastic.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
WOW! nice work! Do you need with an intake. I know you can gain from a tune with an SL55 intake...
Old 05-25-2012, 12:12 PM

2003 C32
Fantastic job, looks very well put together. I'll be following your lead here. Where did you pick up your SL55 Y pipe? Great work!
Old 05-25-2012, 12:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes Evo II
damn thats some impressive work sir! I don't know what you do for a leaving but you should reconsider maybe. You could build intake for sure everyday lol!
Old 05-25-2012, 04:04 PM

C32, 911 SC
Originally Posted by tw2
Thats excellent, great work. I am not so sure about the orange pieces but otherwise it looks fantastic.
Yes, I agree from aesthetics' perspective, but that duct is one of the most durable in the market and rated for up to 500 F unfortunately. I am still looking for alternative and will check into others. Thanks!

Originally Posted by AMG3.2
WOW! nice work! Do you need with an intake. I know you can gain from a tune with an SL55 intake...
I would think that added air would yield greater results when coupled with more fuel. I am due for a retune from Eurocharged, because my tune is 2 years old and will do so soon.

Originally Posted by Dasauto
Fantastic job, looks very well put together. I'll be following your lead here. Where did you pick up your SL55 Y pipe? Great work!
Thanks a bunch! I bought it from a member here a couple of years ago and was just sitting in my garage

Originally Posted by EVOII_Racer
damn thats some impressive work sir! I don't know what you do for a leaving but you should reconsider maybe. You could build intake for sure everyday lol!
Hahaaa... I actually enjoy doing these kinds of stuff. Thanks man!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Who developed their own air intake system? Why aren't more folks doing this?