MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203-48/)
-   -   Cayuga TMP track day video (https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203/446591-cayuga-tmp-track-day-video.html)

Autotechnica 05-07-2012 12:16 PM

Cayuga TMP track day video

Just thought I'd share a track day video from yesterday afternoon. This was my first time out at Cayuga and during the peak of the day, I was having issues with the S/C shutting down on me due to high IAT's. You can hear the dashdaq chime in with an "EGT" warning which should be "IAT". I couldn't go full out through the back straights. In the late afternoon after amb. temps. had cooled down, the S/C was ok. I snagged a set of Toyo T1-R's cheap off the internet but was hugely disappionted in the performance. The side walls were mush. I hated the tires so much I had an on site instructor go out and drift my car finishing off the tires. I miss my RE01R's and RE-11's :( I had my camera off for the drifting part, but wow can C32's ever drift! The instructor was very impressed by the car and was even more shocked to learn that it had an open diff. We had all the driver aids off (ABS, BAS, TC, ESP, etc). The car is quicker around the track with all aids off, but I can get more laps out of the tires with all the driver aids on. TC/ESP isn't too intrusive, just a little bit powering out of the slower corners. The driver's aids do tend to overheat the brakes. There was an E46 M3 following from behind while we were drifting. I'll have to track him down and see if he had his camera going. Anyways, check it out the few laps that I recorded... nothing too spectacular. BTW, for those wondering, I do have a helmet. I had it knocking around in my trunk. The reason I didn't wear it was because I had a slight head injury and couldn't put the helmet on. Ironic eh?

Bry

kent426 05-07-2012 07:25 PM

Switch to SL rims and run 235/275 tire combo and run with TC off. You'll pick up a big improvement, also run some camber bushings. I am switching from Dunlop Star Spec's this year to either Hankook RS3 or Nitto NT01.

Autotechnica 05-07-2012 07:42 PM

The Hankook I've heard nothing but good things about them. The price is amazing for near R comp grip. I'll probably end up getting this next month.

I've looked into getting SL rims and from what I understand they will not fit. a Friend of mine was selling his SL55 rims for cheap, so I did do some research. From everything I've read, the offset is just way off and the rims are too wide. Anyways, the last thing I want to do is run even more staggered. I have plenty of grip in the rear. My rear tire sidewall barely showed any wear, whereas my fronts where completely shaved off. I want the KMAC camber kit, but it's overpriced for what I want to acheive. I'd rather spend that on some better rubber. How did you manage to make the SL rims fit? I refuse to do any fender rolling and run anymore than a 10mm wheel spacer up front.

Gramma_Benz 05-07-2012 10:03 PM

Are you running the OEM Heat Exchanger?

PC Valkyrie 05-08-2012 01:01 AM

Good to see you drive your car on a track. I'm surprised about your supercharger getting overheated, as it was never that hot this past weekend. Furthermore, TMP is a pretty low speed and technical track where there isn't much chance to really go that fast.

I presume a stock C32 with stock boost shouldn't have this problem?.....

Yes, the outer edges of the front tires do take a beating with any track work, especially with the standard suspension geometry.

Autotechnica 05-09-2012 07:37 PM

Gramma_Benz, still on the stock heat exchanger. That will probably be upgraded sometime this summer. All I have in terms of cooling mods is the needswings iso kit and the Johnson CM30 pump. Going to tap in a water/meth kit as well. This should help immensely with lowering the IAT's. I didn't notice any difference in IAT's using the iso kit. I'm not sure it really does anything at all.

PC Valkyrie, I wish I had logged some data. I was shocked to see how quickly IAT's climb. Even if I'm not overheating, I'm running between 75-85 degrees celcius as soon as I get on the gas for a few seconds. I believe the S/C shuts off at 93 degrees. I've talked to a few local guys with stock C32's who also track, they've occasionally had the S/C shut off on them at Mosport. It's not as big of a problem with the lower boost obviously, but C32's definitely have a problem with heatsoak and intake charge temps.

BTW, saw your vid of your mosport run. Were you there recently? Looks like you had the entire track to yourself! Your driving is so smooth, I'm envious. I definitely need more track time. Maybe you could give me some pointers if I ever see you at Mosport. Have another track day beg of june at Shannonville. Cayuga is definitely a lot more technical than Shannonville. I felt like I improved a lot by the end of the day. I just need tires with more consistent grip.

bry

Gramma_Benz 05-09-2012 07:49 PM

Yeah, I'd say your heat exchanger is your weak link since you're running more boost.

I actually just installed the NW ISO kit and I notice about a 8-10 degree drop in IAT's, normal cruising in 75 degree weather.

GREAT vid BTW! Thanks for sharing.

PC Valkyrie 05-10-2012 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Autotechnica (Post 5188121)
........PC Valkyrie, I wish I had logged some data. I was shocked to see how quickly IAT's climb. Even if I'm not overheating, I'm running between 75-85 degrees celcius as soon as I get on the gas for a few seconds. I believe the S/C shuts off at 93 degrees. I've talked to a few local guys with stock C32's who also track, they've occasionally had the S/C shut off on them at Mosport. It's not as big of a problem with the lower boost obviously, but C32's definitely have a problem with heatsoak and intake charge temps.

BTW, saw your vid of your mosport run. Were you there recently? Looks like you had the entire track to yourself! Your driving is so smooth, I'm envious. I definitely need more track time. Maybe you could give me some pointers if I ever see you at Mosport. Have another track day beg of june at Shannonville. Cayuga is definitely a lot more technical than Shannonville. I felt like I improved a lot by the end of the day. I just need tires with more consistent grip.

bry

My best piece of advice about driving faster on a track is reading the book called "Going Faster". I learned a lot about proper driving technique just bey reading that book. The rest is then just practice and applying the theory. Would love to see your C32 in action at one of our Ontario tracks!

I was at Mosport last week, tracking with the 6th Gear group. Pricey, but unlimited track time and a whole bunch of exotic machinery along with many race cars too.