MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203-48/)
-   -   FabTech Y Pipe VS SL55 (https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203/506442-fabtech-y-pipe-vs-sl55.html)

C3Duece 07-15-2013 08:01 PM

FabTech Y Pipe VS SL55

Anyone running the FABtech piece?

http://www.fabtech-performance.com/#...-y-pipe-intake

Searching the forum revealed some less than glowing reviews in terms of fit/finish for some Fabtech parts but this Y pipe is worth looking into. The Fabtech piece is aluminum an smooth as opposed to the SL55 which is ribbed.

anybody running it with a home made DCAI?

Gramma_Benz 07-15-2013 08:09 PM

I would think maybe wouldn't fit as it's so tight at the firewall, you need the SL55 rubber to flex a little???

fleishman 07-15-2013 10:39 PM

I just bought this (and dual cai) from another member, arriving tomorrow. I'll let you know if it fits but i was planning on using my sl55 Y as it was already a tight fit and I can't imagine getting anything larger or more rigid in that space. For that price I would go sl55 Y anyway.

macbryanie 07-16-2013 06:08 AM

:popcorn:

JamesC32 07-21-2013 04:47 PM

55 Y pipe

I'm interested in seeing how it works out, been thinking about doing the same to mine,,:confused:

Gramma_Benz 07-21-2013 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by JamesC32 (Post 5720905)
I'm interested in seeing how it works out, been thinking about doing the same to mine,,:confused:

Just the 55 Y pipe is known to give very minimal gains, most of the gains will be achieved thru the SL55 airboxes which are 20% larger.

JamesC32 07-21-2013 08:40 PM

I thought I might do that to, but the SL55 air boxes didn't look like they sat in the right place to me , looked like everyone had to mickey mouse them to secure them in place..

Gramma_Benz 07-21-2013 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by JamesC32 (Post 5721115)
I thought I might do that to, but the SL55 air boxes didn't look like they sat in the right place to me , looked like everyone had to mickey mouse them to secure them in place..

You are correct, some people have them looking better than others. They still look fairly OEM though. Like when I get a smog, they don't look twice.

I really like the Needswings intake, but I'd have to take it off for a smog, plus a lot more $$$.

I think that one of the best bang for your buck intakes is the Code3 style.

JamesC32 07-21-2013 09:26 PM

Y

After analyzing mine, it seamed that the Y was the smallest bottle neck on the C32, but people are saying just changing it doesn't net hardly any gains, as far as the NeedsWings ones goes, I would think it would not do much good to have a bigger input of air going into the motor when the exhaust output is smaller, seams like it would only be able to pull in as much as it was able to spit out, the exhaust headers are only about 2-1/4 inch diameter at the flange on each side, seams like 2-1/2 inch of air box and 3 inch of Y-Pipe on each side would be more than sufficient, I don't really know just seamed logical to me, maybe I'm just to simplifying it though,,:confused::crazy:

C3Duece 07-21-2013 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by fleishman (Post 5714405)
I just bought this (and dual cai) from another member, arriving tomorrow. I'll let you know if it fits but i was planning on using my sl55 Y as it was already a tight fit and I can't imagine getting anything larger or more rigid in that space. For that price I would go sl55 Y anyway.

any updates Fleishman?

Lenin 07-22-2013 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by JamesC32 (Post 5721146)
After analyzing mine, it seamed that the Y was the smallest bottle neck on the C32, but people are saying just changing it doesn't net hardly any gains, as far as the NeedsWings ones goes, I would think it would not do much good to have a bigger input of air going into the motor when the exhaust output is smaller, seams like it would only be able to pull in as much as it was able to spit out, the exhaust headers are only about 2-1/4 inch diameter at the flange on each side, seams like 2-1/2 inch of air box and 3 inch of Y-Pipe on each side would be more than sufficient, I don't really know just seamed logical to me, maybe I'm just to simplifying it though,,:confused::crazy:

Start here:

fleishman 07-22-2013 01:02 PM

I haven't had the time to install it yet. I'll take pictures when I do. The fabtech Y just comes with a silicon sleeve to fit on to the throttle body, I'm not sure I will be using it over the nice locking and form fitting sl55 Y

fleishman 08-04-2013 12:13 PM

Ok so I have the kit installed. I don't know if it is the genuine fabtech kit or not as the filter housings are direct from Spectre. The kit i bought came off a v8 and had been modified to fit that car and I had to modify it further to fit into the c32 engine bay. But, that's why I bought the used kit so I could get the filter housings, filters, clamps, aluminum tubing etc all for cheap.

The fabtech Y from this kit (sorry no part numbers) definitely will not fit the c32 bay. I stuck with the nice rubber y from the factory sl55 as it fits snugly and makes the most of the space.

I have the intakes just aimed into the snorkel grill ports but I think I will make some aluminum intake horns install some pre-filters to keep sand out.

So I will sell the Y pipe to anyone who wants to try it out. It has one longer tube and one shorter tube so I can take exact measurements if my pictures aren't enough.

fleishman 08-04-2013 12:15 PM

Darn! Not enough 3g upta camp to upload pics. Will do when I get back to civilization.

kramykram 08-19-2015 07:34 PM

wish I would of found this thread sooner =/