C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Headlight flickering driver side only

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight flickering driver side only

2005 C55 AMG

I have searched several forums and would like a little help fine tuning my problem.

My driver side headlight flickers on and off for extended periods of time.
I turn the lights on with the car not running and it does the same thing.

I don't think it is the regulator or alternator because i have no other electrical issues that would lead me to think that.

I don't even know what kind of bulbs are in the car… I just got it.
Xenon/hid?

I am tempted to replace the bulb first, but I think it may be the controller/ballast? Is there a controller per light? that might make sense.

Unrelated… I changed the tag light bulbs and everything seemed to be a little melted, even the lens cover. Passenger mirror blinker also seems to have a short. a few good thumps on the bottom of the mirror and it came back on.

Thanks

Jason

Last edited by JA50N_FL; 07-23-2014 at 08:53 AM. Reason: forgot car model
Old 07-23-2014, 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C320
As for the headlight if you search the forum, then you will find a BOATLOAD of information on this problem. It only seems to happen on the cars with the HID/Bi-xenons. Either a ballast, igniter, or the Bix was added after the fact and you need to have the car set to xenon=present. I just read more than I needed to know about that yesterday.

BTW, the best way I find stuff on this forum is to search on Google. It almost always brings up links to threads in this forum first.
The following users liked this post:
SDollE320 (11-26-2023)
Old 07-23-2014, 11:13 AM

2005 C55
Originally Posted by JA50N_FL
2005 C55 AMG

I have searched several forums and would like a little help fine tuning my problem.

My driver side headlight flickers on and off for extended periods of time.
I turn the lights on with the car not running and it does the same thing.

I don't think it is the regulator or alternator because i have no other electrical issues that would lead me to think that.

I don't even know what kind of bulbs are in the car… I just got it.
Xenon/hid?

I am tempted to replace the bulb first, but I think it may be the controller/ballast? Is there a controller per light? that might make sense.

Unrelated… I changed the tag light bulbs and everything seemed to be a little melted, even the lens cover. Passenger mirror blinker also seems to have a short. a few good thumps on the bottom of the mirror and it came back on.

Thanks

Jason
I had the same flickering issue for a while and did some research online and determined that the problem could be one of the things you found. The best advice I saw was to first swap the bulbs - If the flickering light moves the problem is likely the bulb. If not then at least you eliminate one of the potential problems.

Last night I installed my new bulb after determining, by swapping bulbs, that I in fact had a bad bulb. No more flickering!
Old 07-23-2014, 03:55 PM

Kleemann C55, C32
Check this thread here. It might have some info you're looking for.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ml#post6112556

I'm actually in the process of tackling this myself too. I bought an external AL ignitor that requires some cutting and soldering wires. Not too bad from what I heard and it fixes the flickering for good.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W203
As stated above, change bulbs (left to right & right to left). If flickering stops (on drivers side) it is the bulb, if not it could be the ballast, igniter etc.

Just a heads up, buy a good brand bulb or go to the dealers. Some cheap bulbs has a "off" colour and does not last as long as originals.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:31 PM

2003 C32 AMG
^ all good information has been said already in this thread, hopefully you get it resolved.
I had to replace both headlight control modules (ballasts) on my C32, albeit not at the same time... passenger first... then drivers eventually... scored both for free so hell yeah!
Old 07-23-2014, 11:28 PM

b5 a4
Supgee I saw the thread with the headlight trouble shooting directions and one of the steps says to remove a ring 230110089 or something like that. My question is what holds the bulbs in. My bix headlights are missing the rings that hold the bulbs and I was going to order more but I have found two different part numbers. I have one rink as of now bit it doesn't seem to hold the bulb in. Its very loose.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
I had the same flickering issue for a while and did some research online and determined that the problem could be one of the things you found. The best advice I saw was to first swap the bulbs - If the flickering light moves the problem is likely the bulb. If not then at least you eliminate one of the potential problems.

Last night I installed my new bulb after determining, by swapping bulbs, that I in fact had a bad bulb. No more flickering!
Thanks, I'll try the bulb swap first.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:47 PM

2003 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by scboost
Supgee I saw the thread with the headlight trouble shooting directions and one of the steps says to remove a ring 230110089 or something like that. My question is what holds the bulbs in. My bix headlights are missing the rings that hold the bulbs and I was going to order more but I have found two different part numbers. I have one rink as of now bit it doesn't seem to hold the bulb in. Its very loose.
They are like little circle plastic locking devices that the bulb inserts into, and then twist-locks into the headlight. I'm at home right now, when I get to work tomorrow I will get you the part # for the device.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
it's your ballast
Old 07-24-2014, 10:27 PM

b5 a4
Originally Posted by Supgee
They are like little circle plastic locking devices that the bulb inserts into, and then twist-locks into the headlight. I'm at home right now, when I get to work tomorrow I will get you the part # for the device.
Thanks man I really appreciate it. I have no headlights as of now, so I'm limited to day driving. Its not my DD but just a go fast project I picked up cheap.