C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Bi Xenon light problem/ aftermarket replacement?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 05:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Mercedes Benz C32 AMG
Bi Xenon light problem/ aftermarket replacement?

Hi people.

As per my intro thread here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/new-membe...ml#post7031398

I have not taken delivery of the vehicle as yet but it does have a slight issue. I am very to new to Xenon lights and need some advice. In short the problem is the following:

The car has the Bi-Xenon headlights. According to the seller the left hand side low beam does not work. He had it at the Mercedes dealer in Johannesburg and they changed the low beam bulb and it is still not working. But the high beam (brights) work perfectly. With some research here and some other sites I have realized that the culprit might be the ballast unit. And they seem very expensive to replace.

I do have the following questions:

1) Is there perhaps another problem that might be lurking seeing that the low beam wont work?
2) does the C32 AMG Bi-Xenon units take the H7 beams?
3) Instead of replacing the ballast, if it is the culprit, is it possible to upgrade the complete lights to the Full xenon HID? The kits that include new different ballasts providing no errors?
4) If it is possible to get such a kit, which kit will be the best or most reliable? I am based in South Africa and will try and import if needed if the links of kits or brands of kits are not available in South Africa.

I was browsing the net and found these:

I do realize I will need both the high beam and low beam kits:

Low beams:

http://www.xenonpro.com/h7-low-beams...headlights-kit

which includes 5000k Alpine white (will this be fine?), canceller + anti flicker and a relay harness. The normal 35w

High beams:

http://www.xenonpro.com/h7-high-beam...headlights-kit

which also includes 5000k Alpine white (will this be fine?), canceller + anti flicker and a relay harness. The normal 35w

My further questions:

1) Will these kits work fine and do the job without having a dash error and does someone here have experience with these kits on a W230 C32 AMG?
2) is it a direct fitment of the bulbs in the current head units? I do understand that there might be some wiring involved. I Will get a proffesional certified place to install these if I get positive feedback here.

I am really baffeled when it comes to lights especially xenon, with my car being Bi-Xenon I do hope I am starting to understand the basics.

If the above kit has negative feeedback from members here, Could you please direct me to the correct kits available online (ebay etc) in order for me to get my lights working perfect again.

Regards and thank you for taking the time and effort to read and assist.

I see on the xenonpro.com website it does seem they offer international shipping. But I will cross that bridge when I get there.

Cheers

Last edited by PLANKIE; 01-21-2017 at 05:29 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 C230K SS (sold), 06 C55 (sold), 08 Yamaha R1 (sold), 16 X5M
The ballasts are all over eBay and not expensive at all for even oem. If that doesn't work then it could be the igniter. Again something that can be replaced or even just replace the whole unit still at a decent price. Do not replace with after market unless you replace both as they will not look the same as far as color reproduction and quality.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by maverik259
The ballasts are all over eBay and not expensive at all for even oem. If that doesn't work then it could be the igniter. Again something that can be replaced or even just replace the whole unit still at a decent price. Do not replace with after market unless you replace both as they will not look the same as far as color reproduction and quality.
Thank you for the reply.

I am still new at learning the whole xenon lights. The car is not with me at the moment and I am taking delivery this week.

If I do decide to replace with after market I will indeed replace both bulbs and ballasts. I am getting a clearer picture the more I do research on the web.

My car has the bi-xenon option installed. Like I said the car is not with e as yet and I cannot physical see or check the light unit setup. So to get to the point my questions are becoming less.

Lets take one unit for example. In my case the left front unit. (right hand drive version as I am in South Africa) Does the bi-xenon setup on the W203 C32 AMG have a single bulb per unit that delivers both low and high beam or does it have a bulb for low beam and another beam for high beam? Take note that the bi-xenon was factory optional installed on my vehicle. Reason asking is because I found this Philips kit locally and highly thinking of replacing the bulbs and ballasts with the following:

http://www.autostyle.co.za/car-acces...rsion-kit.html

Would you recommend this and should the ECU accept this aftermarket philips kit without displaying an error perhaps?

I do really appreciate feedback and advice.

Regards
Old 01-24-2017, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's just xenon. Not bixenon. There is an H7 halogen that is the high beam. All you need is some Morimoto D2S 5000k bulbs (google). And if you determine you need ballasts too then just search eBay for an oem one. Don't need a kit or anything. Just the bulb or just the ballast. Aftermarket hid kits won't work plug and play with oem set up. You will need to gut it essentially and re wire.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:07 PM

Update...

Got an aftermarket kit and replaced original balasts with the ones from the kit. a bit of rewiring but not to bad.

I am currently using Osram xenon D2S bulbs with the high beams osram also.

i put the xenon bulbs from the kit with another set of balllasts into the spotlights. Will post a pic some time soon. It works really well and not a single dash error.

cheers
Old 05-30-2017, 06:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Glad you got it figured out. What ballasts did you go with?
Old 06-01-2017, 03:56 AM

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
2004 CLK55 AMG W209
Yoh Plankie howst man? Where in the City of Gold are you based? Please inform me as to who did you get the parts from and what did you pay?