MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203-48/)
-   -   Secondary Air Pump Question (https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203/660181-secondary-air-pump-question.html)

Bigpapistu 03-24-2017 03:21 AM

Secondary Air Pump Question

Second time I'm having to replace this stupid thing and getting tired of it. It's not even nessasary for a car but you need it to pass inspection lol. Mercedes really makes some faulty stuff but any way, on to the question.

I did some research and stumbled upon this

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/egr-secondary-air-pump-block-off-plate/11121438086/

Its a block off plate for the pump so it bypasses the system into making the car think it has a pump in place, after some programming of course. Pretty interesting. It is for Bmw but I have seen people do it on other makes. I just can't seem to find one for Mercedes, if they even make them.

I was wondering if anyone is familiar with this, has done this, or know anything about it. Thanks

Morphh 03-24-2017 07:23 AM

U can delete it but u need star program to get rid of ur cel, if u change the pump, change the fuse and relay, usually the relay gets stuck on, causing pump to fail.

Rocman8 03-24-2017 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Morphh (Post 7093918)
U can delete it but u need star program to get rid of ur cel, if u change the pump, change the fuse and relay, usually the relay gets stuck on, causing pump to fail.

+1 replace the relay!

mbenz7 03-24-2017 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rocman8 (Post 7094275)
+1 replace the relay!

I have encountered the relay getting stuck and running the pump to failure. This happened 2 years ago when on one cold night i started the car and let it warm while i was doing stuff inside the house. I ended up getting the pump professionally rebuilt and got a new relay from my local dealer. I do not want to be too specific as to where and how i got it rebuilt from as i am not trying to sell product on forums but if you would like more information in this matter i will be more than happy to provide you with the relevant information.

Morphh 03-25-2017 09:14 AM

Make sure u get relay from dealership mine had new part number on it, so it shouldn't get stuck

benzslo 03-25-2017 01:29 PM

I have a good pump I can sell, make offer if interested.

LUV2SPD 03-25-2017 08:21 PM

I had an issue with my secondary supply air pump and replacing the purple relay solved the issue, just make sure you get it from the dealer. Part#A002-542-65-19, it was $51CDN.

I wonder how the secondary supply air pump affects your emission test? The pump only comes on if your engine is cold and it only comes on for 25 seconds. If you take your car in for testing and you make sure the engine is warm when they test it, there should be no issues passing the test. You could get an OBDII reader to cancel the check engine light before the test, they go for around $50.

I'm still considering removing the whole secondary supply air pump system from my car with block off plates. They don't test for emissions here, and removing the whole system would only take minutes. I'm planning on making block-off plates out of metal and in order to turn off the check engine light I will need the STAR machine (around$700).

"Star, software to eliminate codes
Coding was not that difficult. I did a search on here and found some how to's but they weren't exactly right for a Star C4. Speed limit. tire size etc. are all accessed under drive / engine management 2.8 / development data/ variant coding/ germanword kodierung something.

After waiting for it to communicate. It will list all of your current settings for the car in little windows and then when you drag the mouse over offer you options that you can choose by clicking on it and then F3 to reprogram your options. I turned off my air pump too, for both O2 sensors and air pump. Bins 178 and 182 you should see "German words + "ein" highlighted for your original setting. And for these bins your only other option is "German words + "aus"

Selecting aus disabled them for me which I was also able to verify elsewhere in the scantool monitoring actual data.

For some reason I had communication difficulties which only allowed me to complete this engine running"

I removed the secondary supply air pump from my Yamaha R1 since the ECU was reflashed a long time ago and completely eliminated the system coming on. The kit was from Graves Yamaha and after removing the system, it freed up a lot of space around the engine, makes changing spark plugs way easier now.

Bigpapistu 04-15-2017 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by LUV2SPD (Post 7095609)
I had an issue with my secondary supply air pump and replacing the purple relay solved the issue, just make sure you get it from the dealer. Part#A002-542-65-19, it was $51CDN.

I wonder how the secondary supply air pump affects your emission test? The pump only comes on if your engine is cold and it only comes on for 25 seconds. If you take your car in for testing and you make sure the engine is warm when they test it, there should be no
issues passing the test. You could get an OBDII reader to cancel the check engine light before the test, they go for around $50.

I'm still considering removing the whole secondary supply air pump system from my car with block off plates. They don't test for emissions here, and removing the whole system would only take minutes. I'm planning on making block-off plates out of metal and in order to turn off the check engine light I will need the STAR machine (around$700).

"Star, software to eliminate codes
Coding was not that difficult. I did a search on here and found some how to's but they weren't exactly right for a Star C4. Speed limit. tire size etc. are all accessed under drive / engine management 2.8 / development data/ variant coding/ germanword kodierung something.

After waiting for it to communicate. It will list all of your current settings for the car in little windows and then when you drag the mouse over offer you options that you can choose by clicking on it and then F3 to reprogram your options. I turned off my air pump too, for both O2 sensors and air pump. Bins 178 and 182 you should see "German words + "ein" highlighted for your original setting. And for these bins your only other option is "German words + "aus"

Selecting aus disabled them for me which I was also able to verify elsewhere in the scantool monitoring actual data.

For some reason I had communication difficulties which only allowed me to complete this engine running"

I removed the secondary supply air pump from my Yamaha R1 since the ECU was reflashed a long time ago and completely eliminated the system coming on. The kit was from Graves Yamaha and after removing the system, it freed up a lot of space around the engine, makes changing spark plugs way easier now.

I have a great mechanic that would probably even do this for free. I just don't know if i can make or buy a block off plate :/

LUV2SPD 04-15-2017 06:54 AM

I looked for Mercedes block off plates on the internet, but I could only find them for BMWs. You will probably have to make one up on your own. I would use a cardboard first to cut out the shape you need, and then trace it over a piece of metal and then cut it out.

This is the video I followed for my R1. They used an already made Graves block-off plates, but for the car the plates would look very similar:

LUV2SPD 04-16-2017 07:47 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures that shows the IE Billet plates for BMWs. There is also a general "Forge" made one that you can buy. If you decide to do this, it would be nice if you could take some pictures so that others would know how to do this. I was planning on doing this, but I thought the new relay would not fix the pump. You will also have to disconnect a bunch of electrical wires and plug them.

Attachment 361037

Attachment 361038

Attachment 361039

benzslo 04-16-2017 10:18 AM

I have my air pump removed. You can just leave the valves there for a block off. They're naturally closed and only open when vacuum is applied. I've thought of making a block off but they're under a pound each so no big weight savings there.

If there is alot of interest, I could make up a bunch. They'd be CNC machined nice pieces. But not doing it for only a couple people.