C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Sprintbooster - my 3rd pedal replace in 4 years.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts
E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Sprintbooster - my 3rd pedal replace in 4 years.

I've had a sprint booster on my C 32 for about 4 years and love the thing, but I'm now having to replace my third accelerator pedal(p0120 code,) in 4 years since the sprintbooster has been installed. My original pedal lasted 9 years And the last 2 pedals were genuine Mercedes parts so should be quality.

Anyone else with a sprint booster Experiencing this? Not sure how the sprint booster could damage the pedal, so maybe it's a coincidence in my situation or somethings wrong.....?

Warranty on genuine Mercedes parts is 2 years unlimited mileage I read so I expect to get another pedal under a warrant return.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by jvakos
I've had a sprint booster on my C 32 for about 4 years and love the thing, but I'm now having to replace my third accelerator pedal(p0120 code,) in 4 years since the sprintbooster has been installed. My original pedal lasted 9 years And the last 2 pedals were genuine Mercedes parts so should be quality.

Anyone else with a sprint booster Experiencing this? Not sure how the sprint booster could damage the pedal, so maybe it's a coincidence in my situation or somethings wrong.....?

Warranty on genuine Mercedes parts is 2 years unlimited mileage I read so I expect to get another pedal under a warrant return.
I'd doubt if there is a causative relationship between your SprintBooster and the P0120 code (especially if you are not man-handling your pedal when installing the SprintBooster).
If I recall correctly (been a while since I had my C32!), I remember the P0120 code is not necessarily related to your pedal; it is a very generic code that can signify a problem with anywhere along the line from the pedal to the throttle body (TB), to the TB wiring, and steering angle sensor. By the way, why do you think the pedal is dead? What are the symptoms?

I once had a P0120 code and solved the issue by unplugging the TB wiring harness and cleaning it, followed by a throttle reset.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Originally Posted by boohooramblers
I'd doubt if there is a causative relationship between your SprintBooster and the P0120 code (especially if you are not man-handling your pedal when installing the SprintBooster).
If I recall correctly (been a while since I had my C32!), I remember the P0120 code is not necessarily related to your pedal; it is a very generic code that can signify a problem with anywhere along the line from the pedal to the throttle body (TB), to the TB wiring, and steering angle sensor. By the way, why do you think the pedal is dead? What are the symptoms?

I once had a P0120 code and solved the issue by unplugging the TB wiring harness and cleaning it, followed by a throttle reset.

hey thanks B - i will try that TB unplug and cleaning plus throttle reset. the car is still driveable but the pedal doesnt respond and i can only gradually accelerate. no CEL or anything. last 2 times i had p0120 code when i got a new pedal it was fixed. but i will try those steps you recommend. i cleared the code a couple times and restarted the car and still the pedal didnt respond like normal.

you still have your c32 or did you sell??
Old 07-23-2017, 11:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by jvakos
hey thanks B - i will try that TB unplug and cleaning plus throttle reset. the car is still driveable but the pedal doesnt respond and i can only gradually accelerate. no CEL or anything. last 2 times i had p0120 code when i got a new pedal it was fixed. but i will try those steps you recommend. i cleared the code a couple times and restarted the car and still the pedal didnt respond like normal.

you still have your c32 or did you sell??
Yeah - to be honest, that doesn't sound like the pedal is malfunctioning. My hunch is that the problem is distal to the pedal - more like the throttle body cable / plug or the throttle body itself. When you say that it only gradually accelerates, I assume you mean that the revs only increase gradually?
Anyway, take a look at the cable/plug/TB and see if the problem lies there.

Unfortunately, I sold the C32 some time ago - loved that car and remember just about everything about it lol! I will be getting something with an AMG badge soon though!
Old 07-24-2017, 06:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Chevrolet SS, 2006 Cadillac STS-V
P0120 is not related to the pedal at all. It is for the throttle position sensor 1, which is part of the throttle body. I had this code on my old C55 and the problem was a spread terminal at the throttle body connector.
The following users liked this post:
jvakos (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 2013 GLK 350/4, 2015 E63S AMG Wagon
Originally Posted by boohooramblers
Yeah - to be honest, that doesn't sound like the pedal is malfunctioning. My hunch is that the problem is distal to the pedal - more like the throttle body cable / plug or the throttle body itself. When you say that it only gradually accelerates, I assume you mean that the revs only increase gradually?
Anyway, take a look at the cable/plug/TB and see if the problem lies there.

Unfortunately, I sold the C32 some time ago - loved that car and remember just about everything about it lol! I will be getting something with an AMG badge soon though!
Originally Posted by 91RS
P0120 is not related to the pedal at all. It is for the throttle position sensor 1, which is part of the throttle body. I had this code on my old C55 and the problem was a spread terminal at the throttle body connector.
I agree with both of you. I'm using a Sprintbooster and had constant problems with P0120 code. I eventually de-tuned the car for daily driving and replaced my 80 mm TB with a late year E55 TB and the problem has been gone for 2 years now. I now have a small inventory of various gas pedals.

What I have seen on our cars is that over time the potentiometer that is part of the TB goes bad and then the P0120 appears. If this issue doesn't go away with the TB reset procedure, look for a new TB. See if you can find a 2006 E55 TB.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Originally Posted by Lenin
I agree with both of you. I'm using a Sprintbooster and had constant problems with P0120 code. I eventually de-tuned the car for daily driving and replaced my 80 mm TB with a late year E55 TB and the problem has been gone for 2 years now. I now have a small inventory of various gas pedals.

What I have seen on our cars is that over time the potentiometer that is part of the TB goes bad and then the P0120 appears. If this issue doesn't go away with the TB reset procedure, look for a new TB. See if you can find a 2006 E55 TB.
Robert hey thanks and good to see you here. I did the TB reset and the code is cleared and car driving fine now (with Sprintbooster in off position) so thanks for the guidance there.

i will look into a 2006 E55 TB and see if that helps too. i didnt think about that as i always assumed it was the pedal based on what the code states (P0120 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit Malfunction) and when i've replaced the pedals in past the issue goes away. but when my TB went out a couple years ago i also got the p0120 code(plus p0105 manifold absolute pressure/barometric pressure circuit) but when that happened the idle was horribly rough and car went to limp model and the fix was replacing the TB.

other than than she's been driving like a champ since rudy dropped in the srt6 motor and did my swap when i had that bent rod.