Lower (cheaper)grades of gas

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
Question Lower (cheaper)grades of gas

Hey everyone:

I am a cash strapped c32 owner who does frequent long trips and was interested in figuring out that with the current expensive cost of gas would it be possible to drop a grade down from premium (93 octane) to plus (89 octane) or even regular (86 octane) without damaging the engine. Can you mix them.

After sinking all my savings into this beautiful machine dont have much left for gas but only if it is safe for the engine would i drop a grade...

Any insight???

Homey
Old 04-27-2004, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
oh boy, here we go again. there have been lots of debates on gas grades.

in the short run, you won't damage your engine. cars nowadays have computers and knock sensors that automatically adjust for the grade of gas that you put in. when the computer/sensors sense that knocking is going to happen, they retard the timing so detonation doesn't happen

the only thing that would realistically happen is loss of HP. Some people on this board run 89 (i think it's called Special as opposed to super/plus 91 or 93).
Old 04-27-2004, 07:01 PM

SLK32
My experience here is not from an MB so keep that in mind. I have had friends in the past who have done the same thing. They had no problem in cold weather. But in the hot weather of summer they did get some pinging running lower octane.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Originally posted by GDawgC220
oh boy, here we go again. there have been lots of debates on gas grades.

in the short run, you won't damage your engine. cars nowadays have computers and knock sensors that automatically adjust for the grade of gas that you put in. when the computer/sensors sense that knocking is going to happen, they retard the timing so detonation doesn't happen

the only thing that would realistically happen is loss of HP. Some people on this board run 89 (i think it's called Special as opposed to super/plus 91 or 93).
what he said.