C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

ECU tuning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
ECU tuning

i read on the renntech website that their ECU for the C32 gets rid of the "deadspot" or "gap" between 2k and 3k rpms. Do you guys notice how when you drive hard and brake for a turn, after the turn when you push the gas down it feels especially slow?

i think its beause it has not downshifted yet but i am not sure.

well the renntech ECU gets rid of this.

My question is.... for those of you with the Evosport stg 1, does their ECU (power chips i think?) get rid of the dead spot also?
Old 04-30-2004, 01:02 PM
I1 ULOOZ

I wish I could tell you, but due to the unfortunate fact that I dont have evosport, It appears as if I cant help you much!

Last edited by I1 ULOOZ; 04-30-2004 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:33 PM
Bux
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G
Originally posted by I1 ULOOZ
I wish I could tell you, but due to the unfortunate fact that I dont have renntech, It appears as if I cant help you much!
don't have renntech? he's not asking that he's wasking how evo's is..
Old 04-30-2004, 04:09 PM

Hi,

I think it has to do with the torque converter lockup.

I posted something about a valve body fix in the transmission. I am not sure if it will take care of this problem but it may make it better.

This dead spot is so annoying on the track because the surge of power comes on late and then I lose traction. But in a way it is good because it teaches me to be smooth with my pedals.

Prasith
Old 04-30-2004, 04:20 PM
I1 ULOOZ

Originally posted by ro0zy
don't have renntech? he's not asking that he's wasking how evo's is..
haha thats why I changed it, thx
Old 04-30-2004, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
The torque converter locks at 1500rpm. If there is a deadspot between 2k and 3k rpm Renntech must be the only ones who have seen it. Driving on a road course you would never be below 1500rpm to feel any torque converter locking and unlocking.
Old 04-30-2004, 06:01 PM

Yes you are right,

I didn't mean to say torque converter lockup. I am not sure what it is but it is probably just the programming.

Can somebody explain how a torque converter works and how it is different in our car than others. I am not very knowledgeable and I would love to learn more about it.

Also you typically won't be in the lower revs unless it is something like turn 3 at NHIS. That is so slow that I get down to the lower revs. Then the turn follows out into a steep incline.

I am not sure what the car is doing but there is a noticeable delay and a point where I just get full acceleration. The acceleration is not smooth at all.

Anybody know how to help this out? Basically I am in not in the right gear when i try to power out of the turn after the apex. So then it is too slow. Then all of sudden it kicks down and I get a surge of power. Then i am usually too hot going out of the corner. Very annoying.

Prasith
Old 04-30-2004, 10:51 PM

C32 AMG
BUMP!

i wanna know why!!
Old 05-01-2004, 09:26 PM

SLK32
Re: ECU tuning

Originally posted by IdriveFast
i read on the renntech website that their ECU for the C32 gets rid of the "deadspot" or "gap" between 2k and 3k rpms. Do you guys notice how when you drive hard and brake for a turn, after the turn when you push the gas down it feels especially slow?

i think its beause it has not downshifted yet but i am not sure.

well the renntech ECU gets rid of this.
I too have the dead spot, at least since my last visit to the dealer. Although I don't know if I agree that it is 2k-3k rpm. I would say it is probably more like 2.5k-3k rpm. The problem is that the car needs to engage the supercharger and drop down a gear and does not seem to be able to respond fast enough.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audi C7.5 S6
It just needs more agressive part throttle kickdown. programming. When you take off from a stop, if you let off the throttle, it will upshift, then, the only way to get it to downshift is to floor it.

This is due to the part throttle downshift programming. The lack of upshift, after getting on it hard, is also due to programming (till you take your off the accelerator pedal completely).

This is extremely annoying.
Old 05-02-2004, 05:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32
it does that sometimes... maybe itz ur driving style, the computer doesn't know u want to stomp it.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:49 AM

Audi C7.5 S6
The computer has a short term memory. This would fine, if it was always tracked, only.

For a street car, this sucks. It should be able to operate normally , then allow short burst of acceleration, without acting unpredicatable and sluggish.
Old 05-02-2004, 02:28 PM

SLK32
Originally posted by m444
It just needs more agressive part throttle kickdown. programming. When you take off from a stop, if you let off the throttle, it will upshift, then, the only way to get it to downshift is to floor it.

This is due to the part throttle downshift programming. The lack of upshift, after getting on it hard, is also due to programming (till you take your off the accelerator pedal completely).

This is extremely annoying.
Actually I have the problem when I try to go from light cruise/small throttle opening to full throttle opening (floored).

I wish they would get rid of the adaptive transmission controls and go to much simpler alogrythims or a processor that can process fast enough.
Old 05-02-2004, 06:39 PM

can anybody who has done the evosport ecu or renntech ecu please chime in on if this is better?

I think that since that is only ECU tuning and this seems transmission related that it would not help but I just wanted to find out what people with these mods feel as compared to the throttle response when stock.

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:00 PM

07 SL550; C32 (sold)
i've noticed this issue as well when i was running stock. it wouldn't downshift until you stomped on it. also what i noticed is that if you accelerate slowly from 30mph, it wouldn't downshift. it seems as if you need to stomp on it fast to have it kick down.

having changed my ecu to the evosport one (powerchip), the initial response is better. it would kick down w/o having to stomp on the pedal fast and all the way down. perhaps it the ecu was in it's learning stage when i first got it. but after a couple of weeks of driving like a grandma, the throttle response returned to crap. so this adaptive tranny algo. really plays a big part in the way the car behaves.

to correct the problem, i disconnect the battery to reset the ecu. now what i get is faster downshifts

if i was you, i would try to reset the ecu first before upgrade the ecu and see if that helps. in my case, it made a big difference.
Old 05-03-2004, 04:42 PM

C 32 AMG (203.065)
I think it works great. I mean as a daily driver, I wouldnt want it to react with full force to every move of the pedal.

when wanting to drive really sporty I just pull the stick to the left for 2 seconds and let it shift to the best gear. From then, it'll run very aggressivly.. and when wanting to go back to normal, I push the stick to the right again for 2 seconds and wait until 'D' is activated again.. works perfectly fine for me and runs like mad, especially when driving in the moutains uphill and downhill...
Old 05-03-2004, 05:32 PM

Audi C7.5 S6
I think this adaptive transmission mode needs to go. I want full power on response, no matter how previously driving it.

If I wanted throttle delay, I would have kept my Audi S4.

If I want to drive slowly, there is always the 'W' mode.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:29 PM

07 SL550; C32 (sold)
i think they should include a switch to turn it off. if you want the adative system w/ all the memory stored, you can flip and switch and resume where the computer stopped learning.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:01 AM

C32 AMG - in Pewter
Sorry to revive this old thread but now, more than three years later, I hope there is a workaround for this dead spot for trany kick-down. It sounds like the ECU reset may be the only way to avoid the dead spot.

As described earlier, it is apparently somewhere between 2k and 3k rpms where if you cruse at a light speed and floore it all the way (and pressing kiskdown switch), trany just refuses to downshift. Having to live with this is sort of annoying.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Prasith32
Hi,

I think it has to do with the torque converter lockup.

I posted something about a valve body fix in the transmission. I am not sure if it will take care of this problem but it may make it better.

This dead spot is so annoying on the track because the surge of power comes on late and then I lose traction. But in a way it is good because it teaches me to be smooth with my pedals.

Prasith
Hey Prasith:

Yeah, mine does that as well

Coming out of turn 6 at Beaverun was a REAL HADFUL!! Down hill off camber, the car would go sideways, until I learned how to roll/feather the throttle.

Combination of down shifting/supercharger engagement made this turn a real nail biter.

See yeah