C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C55 Will not drift or do good donuts is it my car?!?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 01:06 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 Mercedes-benz C55 AMG
C55 Will not drift or do good donuts is it my car?!?!

Tonight I went out to a warehouse area far from everything and tryed to do donuts that are controlled not just turn wheel to the left and just floor it and hold the gas I would turn the wheel to the left give the car gas and when I feel the back coming around counter street and control the throttle but when I do this the car feels like only one wheel is spinning and all weird and everytime I would try it would feel different it feels like an open diff but sometimes it would work and I could do perfect donuts and drift out of them is it the traction or is it the diff and what I was doing was turning off traction M and 1st gear I tried standard to and even dyno mode and that was the worst in dyno mode the car could not even do a donute I also tryed to drift corners but it still feels like traction control is on in those situations and I tryed drifting corners in dyno mode it's even worse. Is it my car because I see videos of people doing perfect donuts in roundabouts with amazing control and drifting long corners but my car feels like it's open diff one wheel is spinning and no control. I have had moments that it feels amazing and I can control the car and drift and do amazing donuts but it's very rare that happens. Btw it was in the rain I was doing this.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:17 AM

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
2013 c63 Magnuson SCed
Honestly, nobody has a good explanation why, but some c55s have way overly intrusive traction control and kill any fun long before it really begins. I'm one of the lucky ones and the car gets all kind of squirrelly with no TC. Some owners can barely spin the tires before it cuts the good times. I can spin both in a straight line through the first 3 gears in the rain/snow. Same on Michelin SSs in the cold. Donuts in the rain or snow are a slight throttle stab and turn of the steering wheel. Same with old tires. No idea on new stickies as I'm getting to old and cheap for that, but once I know replacements are on the way, I tend to act like a teen in Daddy's car and spin them up anytime I'm alone and nobody's around.

I bought this car to transport the kids to school and sports safely and then hoon in by myself. So glad I didn't end up with an overly strict TC system.
The following users liked this post:
AtlasMG (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Accidental L8 apex
Honestly, nobody has a good explanation why, but some c55s have way overly intrusive traction control and kill any fun long before it really begins. I'm one of the lucky ones and the car gets all kind of squirrelly with no TC. Some owners can barely spin the tires before it cuts the good times. I can spin both in a straight line through the first 3 gears in the rain/snow. Same on Michelin SSs in the cold. Donuts in the rain or snow are a slight throttle stab and turn of the steering wheel. Same with old tires. No idea on new stickies as I'm getting to old and cheap for that, but once I know replacements are on the way, I tend to act like a teen in Daddy's car and spin them up anytime I'm alone and nobody's around.

I bought this car to transport the kids to school and sports safely and then hoon in by myself. So glad I didn't end up with an overly strict TC system.
NO WAY!!!! So I got a c55 with crazy traction control but its weird sometimes it lets me do it and other times it does not it makes me mad because I have drifted the car before with control I want to drift it through corners or a track but I cant because Im scared traction control will kick in and through me into a wall or off track
Old 05-20-2018, 11:09 AM

I think Im going to fix it up and make it look good and try and sell my c55 and get a JDM car so I can drift im looking at a r32gtst or a toyota mark 2 or jzx90 they are around the price that I can sell my c55 for.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:55 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
C 32 AMG & FG2 Civic Si
What do you mean it feels like it's open diff? If you're using the stock diff, it's definitely open... I think there are a couple of LSDs available on the market.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:33 PM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 ML350, 2005 C55, 2004 E55
C55 is a terrible drift car. Here's why:
1) Open diff, the rear brakes can only handle so much and eventually you'll be burning just one tire. They work by holding back power at each individual wheel limiting your power output while spinning tires
2) Variable ratio steering rack, as you turn the steering wheel towards lock, the wheels begin to respond more to your steering input. This ratio quickens near the extremes of steering lock, making it very difficult to transition or catch the initial drift because the steering is very unliniar.
3) Idiotic ESP system that won't save you from a crash with ESP off but will definitely ruin your fun by cutting in 5 seconds after you started the drift.

On the other hand it's so easy to pitch it into a corner sideways with almost 400hp in 2nd gear and powerslide all the way through the corner and burn out into the straight. Instant grin that last for a few minutes!

Last edited by Fantomas; 06-14-2018 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Fantomas
C55 is a terrible drift car. Here's why:
1) Open diff, the rear brakes can only handle so much and eventually you'll be burning just one tire. They work by holding back power at each individual wheel limiting your power output while spinning tires
2) Variable ratio steering rack, as you turn the steering wheel towards lock, the wheels begin to respond more to your steering input. This ratio quickens near the extremes of steering lock, making it very difficult to transition or catch the initial drift because the steering is very unliniar.
3) Idiotic ESP system that won't save you from a crash with ESP off but will definitely ruin your fun by cutting in 5 seconds after you started the drift.

On the other hand it's so easy to pitch it into a corner sideways with almost 400hp in 2nd gear and powerslide all the way through the corner and burn out into the straight. Instant grin that last for a few minutes!
ya I understand what you're saying it just sucks seeing e55's and c63's drifting and doing all this crazy **** and I can't even do a nice donut. I wanted to take it to a meet and swing it around I got the donuts down but I'm still not going to do it around people because it's up to the car not you. I have taken my cousins gs400 with full suspension mods and a supra LSD and I could drift with no effort and you know exactly what's happening after that I even more want a car that can drift. I'm looking at actions and online for good deals soon there will be a 2012 c63 with rear end damage black on black sedan the one I want I'm going to play on that hope I win but if I do I'll have to replace both quarters trunk tail lights and dumper plus mite need to do frame work.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:32 AM

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
C55 AMG T with Kleemann K2 and some stuff: 414 hp and 576Nm :-)
Put it into dyno-mode through the cluster instrument and see if that helps.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by amgen
Put it into dyno-mode through the cluster instrument and see if that helps.
Absolutely doesn't, it just destroys tires one at a time while doing u-turns, won't even do a donut.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 371 Likes on 279 Posts
05 c55 silver, 98 Imperial Red C43
Old 06-20-2018, 12:44 PM

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
2006 C55
Someone needs a driver mod.

If your priority is ***-wagging around a track burning up sets of used tires while going slower than racers perhaps you should be looking for used up Nissan 240s with poor bodywork and missing bumpers.
The following 3 users liked this post by feets:
AtlasMG (06-20-2018), C3Duece (07-18-2018), RenC55AMG (06-25-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by feets
Someone needs a driver mod.

If your priority is ***-wagging around a track burning up sets of used tires while going slower than racers perhaps you should be looking for used up Nissan 240s with poor bodywork and missing bumpers.
My priority is to have fun in my car, drifting is the most fun you could have in your car with pants on. Old school car enthusiast tend to dismiss it because they grew up washing and polishing their fast cars and preserving, it must be kept pristine and never abused, kind of like not having sex with your girlfriend because you're saving her for the next guy. Then they wreck their cars leaving cars and coffee doing a burnout because they never learned proper car control that comes with beginner drifting and end up being the butt of a joke on the internet. To each their own I guess.
AtlasMG (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by PJmak
That doesn't even sound like a m113, maybe a m156 swap?
AtlasMG (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 10:04 PM

2006 C55
My priority is to have fun in my car, drifting is the most fun you could have in your car with pants on. Old school car enthusiast tend to dismiss it because they grew up washing and polishing their fast cars and preserving, it must be kept pristine and never abused, kind of like not having sex with your girlfriend because you're saving her for the next guy. Then they wreck their cars leaving cars and coffee doing a burnout because they never learned proper car control that comes with beginner drifting and end up being the butt of a joke on the internet. To each their own I guess.
Some of us old school people aren't as old as you think. We have built high powered cars that break traction at 60 mph without downshifting, raced cars with multiple sanctioning bodies, taught car control clinics professionally, and have the ability to place our cars exactly where we want them on the track and in which attitude. Yes, we can drift. That is child's play in the world of car control.

Drifting is a game picked up by today's youth because they require visual stimulus. They have to have flash and a huge "lookit me" moment to feel like a hero.
Real drivers know that the perfect lap is drama free and almost boring to watch. Tires last more than one lap. Bodywork survives a full season. Engines hold together. We pride ourselves on respecting the equipment and making it last.

My cars don't sit. I have little interest in car shows. While I have done Cars and Coffee a few times I grow bored quickly and end up getting annoyed with the freaks who sit on rev limiters with straight pipes in a vain effort to be relevant.

For a relationship comparison, drifting is like abusing your girlfriend until she breaks down hoping your peers will think you're cool.
I'd rather show her respect, good times, and treat her like the lady she is. You'll find that she sticks around longer and will be far more rewarding.

A C55 was not designed to drift. It can be done but you need to prepare the driver. Learn that car control involves more than the Scandanavian Flick.
The following 3 users liked this post by feets:
AtlasMG (06-20-2018), C3Duece (07-18-2018), RenC55AMG (06-25-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by feets
Some of us old school people aren't as old as you think. We have built high powered cars that break traction at 60 mph without downshifting, raced cars with multiple sanctioning bodies, taught car control clinics professionally, and have the ability to place our cars exactly where we want them on the track and in which attitude. Yes, we can drift. That is child's play in the world of car control.

Drifting is a game picked up by today's youth because they require visual stimulus. They have to have flash and a huge "lookit me" moment to feel like a hero.
Real drivers know that the perfect lap is drama free and almost boring to watch. Tires last more than one lap. Bodywork survives a full season. Engines hold together. We pride ourselves on respecting the equipment and making it last.

My cars don't sit. I have little interest in car shows. While I have done Cars and Coffee a few times I grow bored quickly and end up getting annoyed with the freaks who sit on rev limiters with straight pipes in a vain effort to be relevant.

For a relationship comparison, drifting is like abusing your girlfriend until she breaks down hoping your peers will think you're cool.
I'd rather show her respect, good times, and treat her like the lady she is. You'll find that she sticks around longer and will be far more rewarding.

A C55 was not designed to drift. It can be done but you need to prepare the driver. Learn that car control involves more than the Scandanavian Flick.
Our opinions aren't far apart. Drifting isn't any worse for your car than a track day but obviously both are extremely hard on your car compared to daily driving. A drift session shouldn't result in a broken or mangled car, neither should a track day or a night of drag racing, it's possible at any motorsport venue. I'm here merely to address the questions about drifting the C55 not about whether one should drift, that's where our opinions differ. Drifting prioritizes the ability to control a car over being fast, not sure how strict practitioners of other forms of motorsports can look down on that. Plenty of drifters race cars and vice versa, driving skill is universally applicable to all forms of motorsports.
AtlasMG (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 11:15 PM

I understand what youre saying but im not doing it for the flash or so people talk about me im doing it because its fun for me and I want to learn car control. I have never drifted on the street or in front of random people I do it late at night far from everyone outside a warehouse. The main reason I want to learn to drift is because I want to make a project drift car and instead of building it and finding out I dont even like drifting and put all that money it would suck plus I love track racing I watch F1 and GT racing all the time not so much FD but we dont have tracks around me and I dont have the money to go to a track event but I have 3 drift tracks around me that are not to far and I can drive my c55 there and back without having to trailer it and bring lots of stuff with me. Im only 18 and I would rather spend $60 on cheap new tires then $400 on brake pads and rotors plus tires.
e46eater (07-31-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 11:24 PM

Our opinions aren't far apart. Drifting isn't any worse for your car than a track day but obviously both are extremely hard on your car compared to daily driving. A drift session shouldn't result in a broken or mangled car, neither should a track day or a night of drag racing, it's possible at any motorsport venue. I'm here merely to address the questions about drifting the C55 not about whether one should drift, that's where our opinions differ. Drifting prioritizes the ability to control a car over being fast, not sure how strict practitioners of other forms of motorsports can look down on that. Plenty of drifters race cars and vice versa, driving skill is universally applicable to all forms of motorsports.
Very good answer and I agree I have loved drifting from when I was a little kid back in 2008 when I first saw it and after that day its all I have bin thinking of and why not bring two of my favorite thing together drifting and Mercedes. My dream is to have a 190e with a turbo m104 full drift car to show people mercedes can do it to. People in Europe are doing amazing things with mercedes cars and are bringing lots of cool thing to them just people here in america dont know any of this and I want to bring that here to the US.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
http://www.thedrive.com/news/15247/t...for-the-masses
Ask this guy, if he can slide a 220, you can do anything in a C class.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:20 AM

2006 C55
Drifting is nowhere near the ultimate in car control. Yes there are car control dynamics involved but maintaining a slide and perfecting a flick to upset the chassis are only two very small parts of car control. You would be better served by joining a local scca group and doing autocross. Transitions are more difficult then maintaining a slide.

Better yet, find local Drivers Edge events.
The following 2 users liked this post by feets:
AtlasMG (07-04-2018), C3Duece (07-18-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
05 E55, 98 CLK320
Since you guys are having a **** measuring contest let me chime in as the guy with the biggest ****

The realest car drivers (the ones who are the MOST car drivers out of any drivers) drift backwards around a track.

If you want to be the realest carest driverest out there to be the most on the track and extra admired you must drift in reverse, otherwise you look like a baby idiot who doesnt know anything
The following 2 users liked this post by MACEDON:
AtlasMG (07-04-2018), e46eater (07-31-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 377 Likes on 342 Posts
00 C200 & 00 C55 & 06 SLK55
As i remember;

the only way to do freely burnout or even drift with ESP-off, if you have proper TCU that allows to do so, isn't..?!?

-;ZAYED;-
Old 06-24-2018, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by cm60k
As i remember;

the only way to do freely burnout or even drift with ESP-off, if you have proper TCU that allows to do so, isn't..?!?

-;ZAYED;-
The C55 guys live in denial that this vehicle should be used for anything else except commuting. According to the E55 guys that does seem to be the case. With the E55 you either got the C/S transmission modes and limitless burnouts or you got C/S/M (true manual mode) and any time you try anything ESP shows you who's really in charge of your car. Additionally they did a TSB every time someone brought their car in for service which shortened the time air pump runs at cold start and added this nonsense. I wish I had more time on my hands, I would love to hack the TCU and get rid of this idiotic restriction but I feel like I'm better off buying a C63 than pursuing a fool's errand.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2006 C55 AMG
The easiest thing to do is sell your car to someone who actually knows what it is and can appreciate it, after that pickup the jankiest 240sx with dents and body damage allover. Add some cool plastic vents allover it and a cool spoiler, maybe a cool little tow hook, stance the hell out of it and then you will be ready for fun.
The following 2 users liked this post by JayceM113:
C3Duece (07-18-2018), e46eater (07-31-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 541 Likes on 359 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by JayceM113
The easiest thing to do is sell your car to someone who actually knows what it is and can appreciate it, after that pickup the jankiest 240sx with dents and body damage allover. Add some cool plastic vents allover it and a cool spoiler, maybe a cool little tow hook, stance the hell out of it and then you will be ready for fun.
^^^
My sentiments exactly. This thread has been BRUTAL.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 377 Likes on 342 Posts
00 C200 & 00 C55 & 06 SLK55
Originally Posted by JayceM113
Ahh, kinda fact Theoretical..

-;ZAYED;-

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C55 Will not drift or do good donuts is it my car?!?!