C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

test drove the C55 today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nissan Sentra
test drove the C55 today

My wife has an 04 E500 so all the controls were virtually the same which was cool, she would probably drive it unlike my S2000 that she doesn' pay much attention to. Go figure?

Anyway, fabulous. We love the E500 and the C55 is like the 2nd child. The E500 is the smart well behaved one, the C55 is the rebellious one but but still has the brains and relative civility of its older sibling.

The motor is AMPED, I drove an S4 before going to the Mercedes store for some comparison and the AMG powerplant seemed more raw and brutish. Ironically it was very sedate to drive at low speeds and only showed its real personality when the throttle is really tipped in, then it lights up like a christmas tree. I stomped on it once from a standing stop and the traction like started blinking madly and chopping the throttle. You know, usually it goes off after an instant or so, but with this car it would have layed a patch of rubber about a 150ft down the freeway onramp!

The suspension or combination of ride comfort and cornering ability was sublime. I know I'm picky about cars and I thought the S4 was OK, thought I 'd drive the C55 and wind up with an M3, but the low speed ride coupled with the linear and responsive feel at speed was just awesome. I could forgoe the edginess of the M3 for this combination. Really surprised to be honest with you. I don't want to get flamed but I was not anywhere near as impressed with the C32. IMO I either drove a poor example of the C32 or the tweaks on the C55 are just that much better.

The only thing that wasn't 100% was the transmission, and my thought is that it simply hasn't had the opportunity to "learn" my habits. In the past I have found that my other Mercedes have gotten much better after a few days of driving. No problems, just seemed to be contemplating the shiftpoints a bit. In manual mode I didn't get enough seat time to figue it out, but I love the touch shift on the wheel.

I didn't buy it today but am feeling like I will order one shortly. I will pay a last visit to the BMW store.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:54 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
40 lbs of torque differences
Old 08-16-2004, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by 99ML430
We love the E500 and the C55 is like the 2nd child.

I once thought I should go for a new E500 to replace my 01' E320. My only experience being a passenger of the M3 also does not tell me much more what the C55 will be like. Your case is very very close to what I like to know about what I am getting in 3 days time. Many thanks.

cnt