15.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

How do you drive your C55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you drive your C55

Just trying to gain some input thanks in adavance..

~marc
Old 11-29-2004, 09:59 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Like i stole it :p ................actually, i always kept my car in sport mode. But today i used manual and had lots of fun. I never knew using manual with ESP off and flooring it at about 4k RPM in first gear the rear tires just brake lose everytime.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:12 PM

2007 E550, 2011 BMW 335i
yeah they do, i got the car sideways a couple of days go, i prefer manual mode nowadays, im not sure if it's just me, but it seems to shift harder... and that makes fun times happen... hehe
Old 11-30-2004, 12:50 AM

I'm pretty much manual mode with speedshift paddles. My only complaint is the downshift from 3 to 2 when coming to a stop is fairly abrupt. Not very smooth for passengers.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:14 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by neoprufrok
I'm pretty much manual mode with speedshift paddles. My only complaint is the downshift from 3 to 2 when coming to a stop is fairly abrupt. Not very smooth for passengers.

I agree. It does downshift very hard in manual mode. Personally i like that. It adds to the sporty feeling of using the manual mode.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:23 PM

You can soften the shifts by applying part throttle between shifts. Although there is probably no way I can explain this well, you guys should be able to figure it out with trial and error.

The way it feels is like you are catching the car with the accelerator and lessening the rpm difference between gears. It is a bit counterintuitive, but it is theoretically kind of like a half-effort throttle-blip. It doesn't sound like one and it doesn't feel like one, but I think by applying part-throttle through the shift, for that small amount of time between gears, the throttle does blip. This lengthens the transition from 3-2 or 4-3 or 2-1....you get the idea.

Anyway, using this technique, I can downshift in manual mode with almost no perceived jerkiness by the passengers even. I hope this helps, as I started searching for ways to soften the shifts for the sake of the transmission a long time ago. I also used to have my tires break free from 2-1 and that was bad of course, so it drove finding this method as well.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by rguy
You can soften the shifts by applying part throttle between shifts. Although there is probably no way I can explain this well, you guys should be able to figure it out with trial and error.

The way it feels is like you are catching the car with the accelerator and lessening the rpm difference between gears. It is a bit counterintuitive, but it is theoretically kind of like a half-effort throttle-blip. It doesn't sound like one and it doesn't feel like one, but I think by applying part-throttle through the shift, for that small amount of time between gears, the throttle does blip. This lengthens the transition from 3-2 or 4-3 or 2-1....you get the idea.

Anyway, using this technique, I can downshift in manual mode with almost no perceived jerkiness by the passengers even. I hope this helps, as I started searching for ways to soften the shifts for the sake of the transmission a long time ago. I also used to have my tires break free from 2-1 and that was bad of course, so it drove finding this method as well.
Good tip! I'll have to go and try it tonight!
Old 11-30-2004, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Originally Posted by neoprufrok
My only complaint is the downshift from 3 to 2 when coming to a stop is fairly abrupt. Not very smooth for passengers.

Yes absolutely this happens in Manualmode . What I always do is to change the mode to C or S when I am going down hill and about to stop.
The timings and smoothness of downshifting in C and S modes seem to be 'better' than in M mode.
What it means , I guess, M mode is not really designed to let you drive in slow speed , this may be the answer.