delayed shifting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 01:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c32
delayed shifting

is this my car is it a mercedes thing never expected it. when i am driving and i go to upshift with the tiptronic it doesnt shift right away it needs to be hit a couple of times i took it to the dealer and they said it is normal? on a amg?
Old 12-10-2004, 02:39 PM

C32 AMG
yes it is normal. you dont need to tap it multiple times though, only once. it just takes a while to shift
Old 12-10-2004, 02:43 PM
Banned

c32
i think that is retarted i had a bmw 330ci and that was so responsive and i also have a s500 mercedes 2004 and it responds alot faster than my c32
Old 12-10-2004, 03:30 PM

2007 E550, 2011 BMW 335i
my c55 responds differently in two different settings, if im in sport "s" if im being more aggreesive and taking the RPM's out, the shifting lags alittle bit, however in manual mode "m" it in general shifts harder in every scenario. im not sure C32 has such a feature...hope this input is helpful
Old 12-10-2004, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EuroCharged 2012 C63 BS Coupè
Originally Posted by more151please
my c55 responds differently in two different settings, if im in sport "s" if im being more aggreesive and taking the RPM's out, the shifting lags alittle bit, however in manual mode "m" it in general shifts harder in every scenario. im not sure C32 has such a feature...hope this input is helpful
Same thing here>>.in S mode there is a definate lag but in M mode it is a quick and sharp shift. No complaints with the C55 setup
Old 12-11-2004, 02:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Z06, M3, Mini Cooper S. Sold: C55
If you are in an automatic mode (S or C), the gear selection is only a "gear limit". So lets say you've got 3rd selected in the display, it just means you're limited to 3rd and the tranny wont shift into a higher gear. However, even if you tap up to 4th or 5th while you're accelerating, if the computer doesn't agree an upshift should happen yet it won't do it.

If you're in M mode, then it'll shift up or down when you tap it (unless a downshift would result in over rev). If you hold it for 1sec on the downshift, it downshifts to the best gear for max accel. If you hold upshift for 1sec, it goes to D.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by rbaker
If you are in an automatic mode (S or C), the gear selection is only a "gear limit". So lets say you've got 3rd selected in the display, it just means you're limited to 3rd and the tranny wont shift into a higher gear. However, even if you tap up to 4th or 5th while you're accelerating, if the computer doesn't agree an upshift should happen yet it won't do it.

If you're in M mode, then it'll shift up or down when you tap it (unless a downshift would result in over rev). If you hold it for 1sec on the downshift, it downshifts to the best gear for max accel. If you hold upshift for 1sec, it goes to D.
So that's what the Owner's Manual was trying to say. Thanks for that explanation!

What is the purpose of the "gear limit" in S or C? With hold for 1-sec during downshift, does it downshift to some lower gear below redline, I assume (e.g. at some max torque RPM)?

Rgds,
Norm
Old 12-11-2004, 09:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Z06, M3, Mini Cooper S. Sold: C55
I typically leave the trans in S automatic mode around town & frequently use the gear limit function to provide engine braking & increased control in corners or in traffic. For instance, there are many times approaching a corner I know it should be a 2cd gear corner but the trans doesn't. So instead of letting the trans stay in 4th or 3rd until I start accelerating out & having "dead time" during a downshift in the corner (and resulting upset chassis), I tap it down into 2cd during braking. Usually the trans computer downshifts once, so I'll tap it down once more & get 2cd. In town, I usually don't go higher than 4th so I have more immediate response & power. In slow bumper to bumper traffic, I'll keep it in 1st, 2cd or whatever is warranted. It just helps to keep the driver more connected to the car & make it do what he/she wants.

There is also a mode you can get in (in S or C) where the computer thinks you are cornering or on a hill, and delays an upshift ridiculously long as it's waiting for the next corner. This I find very annoying & have not found a fix for except full manual. At least it doesn't happen too often.