what to look for when buying

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 Mercedes Benz CLK320
Question what to look for when buying

Hey guys! how are you all??

I have a quick question... As some of you already know, i´m starting to learn about this cars as i´m gonna be living in Europe next month and im planning on getting a C36 (or C43 maybe) as soon as i get there...

I see cars listed in a high range of prices, lets say from 5K to 20K... Almost all of them seems to be in good shape at first sight (in pics, i know, i know...) so...

What should i look for? If the body is in good shape, interior too and all the obvious things looks good, what else can be a deal breaker here?

I´m a car guy, a car detailer actually so in terms of body and interior condition i can easily see what is good and what is patched to look fair, but mechanically?? Where are the points i should look at??

THANKSSSS!!
Old 03-27-2017, 12:42 PM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
for C43 you have to look for these bad stuff.
Some of them are big problems other are small problems:

Stupid owners = bad cars
Bad lock on trunk
Bad 02 sensors
LCD pixle problems on climate control head unit
Rust on body
Peeling clear coat on paint on some cars
Tranny problems with 722.631 transmission.
Electronic conductor plate and bushing on transmission
Harmonic balancer on crankshaft should have been replaced
Belt tensioner should be updated
CPS sensor should have been replaced
Engine oil leaks front main seal and rear main seal
Expensive front brake discs!!!!!!!!!!!

For C36 someone else with better knowledge should inform you

Last edited by KJI3jflarryfe93; 03-27-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
1999 AMG C43
i would say look for lower miles. the w202 is a good car if you are mechanically inclined. if you are interested in a c36, then i say look at the engine as replacing the engine is the most expensive repair alone.

of course you know body work can run more than an engine if it is substantial, so bodywork would be my next observation. look for repainting and for cracked panels.

everything on these cars can be fixed or repaired. you are buying an older car and it will need repairs. so budget that in. parts in europe can be expensive from what i take, where parts in the usa seem to be cheaper.

i always try to find the color i like. black or red. then i start looking at what has to be done. i chalk up any extra repairs as a tax because these are are the desirable colors. sometimes you have to pay a premium to get what you want.

always the same, cars, watches, women... nicer ones always cost more lol
Old 03-27-2017, 01:11 PM

amazing Kowalsky!! Good list you have there!!

Some of those items, specially transmission related ones are kind of a pain to see isn't it? I guess I should ask for the history of the car if there's any or there is some kind of synthom that I can be aware of??

Here in Uruguay nobody keeps track of things done to a car so if I'm not able to see it when looking the car, it is just up to good or bad luck... maybe Spain market is more precise on those things and you actually can track the services down on a car before buying it...

As I'm gonna be totally new to the place I don't even know how to do certain things!! That is a pain!
Old 03-27-2017, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by mickey13
i would say look for lower miles. the w202 is a good car if you are mechanically inclined. if you are interested in a c36, then i say look at the engine as replacing the engine is the most expensive repair alone.

of course you know body work can run more than an engine if it is substantial, so bodywork would be my next observation. look for repainting and for cracked panels.

everything on these cars can be fixed or repaired. you are buying an older car and it will need repairs. so budget that in. parts in europe can be expensive from what i take, where parts in the usa seem to be cheaper.

i always try to find the color i like. black or red. then i start looking at what has to be done. i chalk up any extra repairs as a tax because these are are the desirable colors. sometimes you have to pay a premium to get what you want.

always the same, cars, watches, women... nicer ones always cost more lol
Awesome Mickey!!! THANKS VERY MUCH!!!

When you say low milage, what is the accepted criteria there?? As some of this cars are 20 plus years old, you cannot expect to find a variety of cars to choose with 50K i believe..

I know some engines tend to run longer without problems than others.... I don´t even know how is the distribution system on this cars yet!!! (i mean belt or chain)...

Engine related things can be a pain for me, yes... as I don´t think i can handle extensive mechanical repairs, most of all because im moving out from my country to a new place where im not gonna have the tools right away for example...

About the color of the car, Silver I like and i think 9 out of 10 were silver so, i dont think there´s gonna be an issue there :P...

How do you say i can check the engine status at first sight? is there any symptoms i should look for??
Old 03-27-2017, 01:22 PM
Banned

i wudd say you shudd wait buying the SPORTS car you desire until you have settled in your new home country!!
when you start making money with your business then begin the car hunt for the right specimen until then it's a huge risk and gamble with everything if your future plans ***** up??

bad transmission slips when shifting gears, oil changes must be done at every 60.000kms for tranny to be healthy.
bad oxygen sensors (o2 sensors) gives loco transmission shifts
Old 03-27-2017, 01:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by damianAMG
Awesome Mickey!!! THANKS VERY MUCH!!!

When you say low milage, what is the accepted criteria there?? As some of this cars are 20 plus years old, you cannot expect to find a variety of cars to choose with 50K i believe..

I know some engines tend to run longer without problems than others.... I don´t even know how is the distribution system on this cars yet!!! (i mean belt or chain)...

Engine related things can be a pain for me, yes... as I don´t think i can handle extensive mechanical repairs, most of all because im moving out from my country to a new place where im not gonna have the tools right away for example...

About the color of the car, Silver I like and i think 9 out of 10 were silver so, i dont think there´s gonna be an issue there :P...

How do you say i can check the engine status at first sight? is there any symptoms i should look for??
Mobil1 0w40 is the engine oil for C43.
if you do oil changes in the right time no problems with engines.
blue smoke from exhaust reveals the engine is sick
V8 engine has timing chain, which has a long life

my car is only 114000kms on 18 years, i only drive my car in summertime
finding low mileage cars is not very easy, somewhere from 100000kms to 200000km's is OK if car has full history

watch Romeo must die you can see the C43 in action like the Challenger in Vanishing point

Old 03-27-2017, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by kowalski
i wudd say you shudd wait buying the SPORTS car you desire until you have settled in your new home country!!
when you start making money with your business then begin the car hunt for the right specimen until then it's a huge risk and gamble with everything if your future plans ***** up??

bad transmission slips when shifting gears, oil changes must be done at every 60.000kms for tranny to be healthy.
bad oxygen sensors (o2 sensors) gives loco transmission shifts
loco transmission shifts is a great graphic symthom! I love it!!

i know what you mean by waiting the proper car, believe me... but I'm going to get an old car anyways because I just cannot identify myself driving a 2010 Toyota let's say...

i just cannot see Mercedes cars being more frustrating than my old alfa romeos for example...

here re in Uruguay any w202 car is considered a "kind of new" car and that is where I've grown!!

Money related, I see the prices of this cars to be in the affordable side for me and I rather drive a Mercedes instead of a 208 Peugeot... I'm just trying to see the down points of this cars and I cannot get anything scary yet!
Old 03-27-2017, 01:41 PM

Mobil1 0w40 is the engine oil for C43.
if you do oil changes in the right time no problems with engines.
blue smoke from exhaust reveals the engine is sick
V8 engine has timing chain, which has a long life

my car is only 114000kms on 18 years, i only drive my car in summertime
finding low mileage cars is not very easy, somewhere from 100000kms to 200000km's is OK if car has full history

watch Romeo must die you can see the C43 in action like the Challenger in Vanishing point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8DUOwQW1pk
beautiful car indeed!! I'll fix those minor scratches and let's keep it! Je!!

i see the km thing then... for me a Merc with 200k is a new one jeje!!

for example (and I'm back into the waiting before buying thing) now I'm driving a 1998 CLK with 370k km on its clock... for me I'm in the good side of cars here... I feel her being a kind of new car, strong as a tank that won't let me by foot anytime soon...

is this Clk car much better than a w202?
Old 03-27-2017, 02:20 PM
Banned

CLK is based on W202, it's the same car but has a bit lower quality on rust protection.

your car with 370xxx km's is it full of rust?
How are winters in Uruguay, winter is it harsh and cold?
Do road/safety department throw salt on the streets/roads in winter?

W208 and W210 are really sensitive when it comes for rust, the W202 is a little better as it's more of a solid construction design.
W202 is also sensitive to rust if you don't wash the car often in winter
Old 03-27-2017, 02:33 PM

CLK is based on W202, it's the same car but has a bit lower quality on rust protection.

your car with 370xxx km's is it full of rust?
How are winters in Uruguay, winter is it harsh and cold?
Do road/safety department throw salt on the streets/roads in winter?

W208 and W210 are really sensitive when it comes for rust, the W202 is a little better as it's more of a solid construction design.
W202 is also sensitive to rust if you don't wash the car often in winter
it is actually my brothers car that now I'm driving as I sold all my cars!

It has 370000 km yes... the body is not rusted, however it has some rust spots here and there, nothing major...

the engine Ines and transmission are rock solid (it is automatic too)

what i ment is I find this car for example, the CLK being a fantastic car for me to drive... in Uruguay there is no c36 or c43 what so ever and my brothers car worth 25K (American dollars) everyday... that is why I find the W202 AMG a good thing to buy there in Europe, as for what a car worth here, it is cheap as hell!

i also believe it should be a better car, more reliable than my old alfa 75, isn't it?

Thwn, why not??
Old 03-27-2017, 02:53 PM
Banned

where I live old Alfa's didn't last long from rust!
80's and 90's Alfa's where Amore to drive and had designs which was sexy as hell!
but rust and electronic problems killed these cars very fast in Scandinavia!

A Mercedes will always outlast an Alfa for that reason you don't have to worry about the CLK being a more solid car even if it has it's problems

Alfa 75 was a very nice 4 door sports saloon
did you have a Quattroporte version?
Old 03-27-2017, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
1999 AMG C43
best advice i think is take it for what we call here a PPI inspection. this may cost you some money, maybe 100 or even 200$ but you get a mechanic to look at the car and figure out what all the problems are. you would think taking it to MB would be the best place but it usually isnt, although the guys there can be very good sometimes. it is the luck of the draw.

when you get to spain, find a good independent mercedes mechanic, you can see thy only have mercedes cars in the garage no other model.

also get the VIN number and take that to MB and see if you can get the history. no guarantee because these cars are so old.

when i say lower milage, i mean 150k miles, or maybe >200k miles. idk if they use km there lol

if the car is a higher mileage car, that could be OK too if it is in good condition and repairs have been made.

example: 75k car, no repairs ever done on the car except oil changes and regular service. spark plugs never even changed.

next example 105k mile car. spark plugs and wires changed, brake pads and rotors recently replaced, cps sensor replaced, all fluids flushed and replaced, new air filters, new tires, abd pump recently replaced.

see 1st car less miles but need full service, also no new parts. car with more mileage has had more work and will run longer without issue.

i can only say get out there, keep your eyes open. find a good mechnic, get your ppi done and enjoy the "new" mercedes. we are all waiting for pictures when you bring her home.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:42 PM

where I live old Alfa's didn't last long from rust!
80's and 90's Alfa's where Amore to drive and had designs which was sexy as hell!
but rust and electronic problems killed these cars very fast in Scandinavia!

A Mercedes will always outlast an Alfa for that reason you don't have to worry about the CLK being a more solid car even if it has it's problems

Alfa 75 was a very nice 4 door sports saloon
did you have a Quattroporte version?
in here cars rust when they are somehow badly repaired when crashes...

I tend to choose cars with no accidents in its history as in my opinion, when a body is poorly repaired then there's no coming back from that...

my alfa 75 was the 2.0 ts version, the biggest you could get in Uruguay...

i bought it, did a lot of work in it and enjoyed her as hell even if the engine was so so, knocking and that stuff... I drove the hell of her

i also had a 1981 Giulietta, also beautiful car, all stock original with twin carbs that made me crazy jeje!!

gearboxes on Alfa's are made by the devil itself too... heje

let me see if I can post a pic in here (don't quite get the forum yet)

Old 03-27-2017, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by mickey13
best advice i think is take it for what we call here a PPI inspection. this may cost you some money, maybe 100 or even 200$ but you get a mechanic to look at the car and figure out what all the problems are. you would think taking it to MB would be the best place but it usually isnt, although the guys there can be very good sometimes. it is the luck of the draw.

when you get to spain, find a good independent mercedes mechanic, you can see thy only have mercedes cars in the garage no other model.

also get the VIN number and take that to MB and see if you can get the history. no guarantee because these cars are so old.

when i say lower milage, i mean 150k miles, or maybe >200k miles. idk if they use km there lol

if the car is a higher mileage car, that could be OK too if it is in good condition and repairs have been made.

example: 75k car, no repairs ever done on the car except oil changes and regular service. spark plugs never even changed.

next example 105k mile car. spark plugs and wires changed, brake pads and rotors recently replaced, cps sensor replaced, all fluids flushed and replaced, new air filters, new tires, abd pump recently replaced.

see 1st car less miles but need full service, also no new parts. car with more mileage has had more work and will run longer without issue.

i can only say get out there, keep your eyes open. find a good mechnic, get your ppi done and enjoy the "new" mercedes. we are all waiting for pictures when you bring her home.
totally get the km vs mantainence thing Mickey!!

when my brother got his CLK with 300000km on its clock, we did the full service thing, including suspension and brakes... Wasnt that expensive actually... the car has 70K more on his clock now and no issues in the engine and trans what so ever... at least nothing that stops her to be usable...

I fully trust old mercedes cars, i believe they are rock solid and they can run forever... AMG i dont really know but i guess they cannot be that bad!!

As for the PPI yes, of course...i know what is it, in fact here in Uruguay i do that service in conjuntion with a mechanic, me being the one that checks the body and interior stuff, hi does the electrical and mechanical thing...

In Spain i dont know how to proceed but for sure im gonna try to be as cautious as possible before buying the car... Nowadays, the options available in Spain are very few cars, one of them i really like and she has 260K km i believe... maybe it is not ideal but i dont see that as a no no thing either... it worth to go across the country and have a look... It is also cheap, something like 6000 euros
Old 03-27-2017, 04:18 PM
Banned

nice Alfa
Old 03-28-2017, 07:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 251 Likes on 212 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
nice Alfa
+1
My trusted mechanic who is no longer working (age) has one of those Alfas. No problem, no rust, rock solid. Guess good regular maintenance is the answer.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by DRBC43AMG
+1
My trusted mechanic who is no longer working (age) has one of those Alfas. No problem, no rust, rock solid. Guess good regular maintenance is the answer.
im gonna get emotional here!!! Heje!

i love that car, honestly... i took such a good care of her that OMG... sometimes it costed me sweat and blood, but the car deserved that...

Good luck the new owners appreciate her as much as I did...