C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

C43 in storage 5yrs: Next??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 12:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation C43 in storage 5yrs: Next??

My 2000 C43 in Oregon was placed in unheated storage unit 5 years ago while I was away in AK. My daughter started it once 4 years ago but it wasn’t driven. After that, it sat with the battery disconnected and only an 1/8 of a tank of ethanol added fuel (..it’s Oregon). I returned to retrieve it this week. Other than a thick coat of dust, it looks as good as the day I stored it, even the tires held air.

I purchased a new battery in order to unlock the steering and push the car out of the unit and winch it up on the trailer, I thought it would be a good idea to purge the fuel and pulled the valve stem out of the fitting on the fuel rail. (I can purchase non-ethanol premium fuel locally to top off the tank $$$ 3.85/gal $$$). There was no pressure on the line. I turned on ignition to activate the fuel pump and nothing... After disconnecting the leads to the coils, I turned the engine over once to see if it would see fuel. Nope.

I’m assuming the fuel is grease now after all the short-chain hydrocarbons and ethanol vaporized. So aside from replacing the fuel filter and possibly the pump my plan is to add some Marvels Mystery oil to the oil (surfactants), turn it over w/o ignition a bit, drain and replace the oil and filter then change out the spark plugs. (Although the one plug I pulled seems to be in good shape.) I have K & N air filters and those will be cleaned and oiled as well. If it starts after that, I’ll let it idle for ten minutes, give it some occasional revs to expand the rings to scrub the cylinder walls well, then drop the oil and change the filter again. I’d replace and flush the coolant, possibly the brake fluid (?), and although MB recommends we never touch the tranny fluid, I thought it might be best now to do so as condensation may have accumulated in the pan??? The tires are at the end of their life anyway and will be replaced before any serious driving is embarked upon

The car has 105k well-maintained miles on it. Want it to go many more. Not an expert myself on Benzs so if you who are would offer any pearls of wisdom here before I undertake this startup, please advise and I will worship the ground you walk on...
Old 02-22-2018, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 139 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
Originally Posted by OSUChE
although MB recommends we never touch the tranny fluid
man, have you been in storage too?? MB changed their tune on the "don't touch the trans fluid" thing a long time ago. If it's never been serviced, service it. Just like any other transmission. There's fluid in the torque converter too. Do that with a filter and pan gasket.

The car has 105k well-maintained miles on it. Want it to go many more. Not an expert myself on Benzs so if you who are would offer any pearls of wisdom here before I undertake this startup, please advise and I will worship the ground you walk on...
one with 88k and a crash in its history sold on BaT yesterday for $12k. You might have an interesting case to sell your's too.

Otherwise, your plan of action sounds good. I'd expect some coolant hoses to need replacing. Probably flush the diff and inspect the flex discs.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sulaco
man, have you been in storage too?? MB changed their tune on the "don't touch the trans fluid" thing a long time ago. If it's never been serviced, service it. Just like any other transmission. There's fluid in the torque converter too. Do that with a filter and pan gasket.

one with 88k and a crash in its history sold on BaT yesterday for $12k. You might have an interesting case to sell your's too.

Otherwise, your plan of action sounds good. I'd expect some coolant hoses to need replacing. Probably flush the diff and inspect the flex discs.
Thanks and yes I saw the sale. Looks like the values are heading up but this one is a keeper for my daughter to inherit someday.

I guess you you could say I was in storage for a while; spent several years in Bettles, AK north of the Arctic Circle then a year at Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station 👍
Old 02-23-2018, 02:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 251 Likes on 212 Posts
12' W204 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 12' W451 Smart Fortwo Pulse (99' W202 C43 AMG sold)
Wow, 15 posts since your join date in June 2005 the South Pole is definitely on the bottom of the world

Otherwise, IMO a good choice for keeping your 43. Yeah it needs a good looking over to get back in top condition. No flat spots on your tyres after sitting 5 years in the same position? Personally I would replace with new ones. Check also manufacturing date as the rubber hardens over time making the tyre dangerous specially with a vehicle which has some serious grunt.

Welcome to the fold and keep us updated. I'm sure plenty on here would appreciate
Old 02-24-2018, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
1999 AMG C43
Talking

I guess you you could say I was in storage for a while; spent several years in Bettles, AK north of the Arctic Circle then a year at Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station 👍

deep freeze
Old 02-09-2020, 12:35 PM

Still in storage...

Just posted an update in one of my other threads in response to whether or not I still own/drive it and mileage.
Yep, still in stored, now in a heated garage in Anchorage, AK.
Nope, don't get to drive it because I'm still working in Antarctica during the Austral winter (March-October).
Still has 105k on the odometer. A friend keeps it started and takes it for a spin during snow-free months. Still runs like new.
Really miss driving it....
Old 02-09-2020, 03:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
1998 C43 AMG, 2000 Audi S4, 2001 Audi S4, 2007 Subaru Forester XT
I didn't drive mine much in 2019 due to some maintenance items I needed to take care of. I found that the AGM battery will sustain it's charge for extended periods of time if you don't start the car. I'm assuming that you've added some fuel stabilizer and the car is on a tender while she sits? Make sure to keep this car, since they seem to be going up in price slowly.