C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slow transmission?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 12:25 AM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
C8, FF, C63S, 911 C4S, GTI, E350, Boxster S, 355, Esprit S4, Vantage, S5, Z4, M3, Miata, A4, 325is
Slow transmission?

It seems that one of the biggest complaints about the C63 is the "slow transmission". For this new year, did they fix it? I believe it's NOT a dual clutch system but still a "normal" transmission with a wet clutch. In our E350, once you click the paddle shifters, you wait and wait and wait then it shifts. It's crazy slow and I can't believe they even bothered putting paddle shifters in it as a "sports package". In our Audi and even VW GTI, once you click the paddle shifters, it's surprisingly fast especially if you are higher up the rev range; ditto for down shifting.

Since I have NOT driven this car yet, can anyone comment on the speed of shifting via paddles especially if they are coming from a dual clutch tranny BMW, Audi or Porsche?

Thanks in advance for any constructive comments!!
Old 09-16-2015, 01:11 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Diamond W205 C63s Ed1
It's not as fast as a dct, but its pretty close. I know the older benz has lag between shifts, but you will feel none of that in the c63.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:37 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 C63S E1; 2016 C450 AMG
The transmission in the previous model, W204 C63, shifted well in the S+ mode when left in automatic. When using the paddles, it would also shift quickly in S+ mode, but only for a single up or down shift. The problem with the transmission was that if you pulled the paddle more than once the transmission would usually ignore all but the first pull. Thus, shifting down 2 or 3 gears was a slow process.

The W205 C63 has improved on this dramatically. In race or Sport+ mode, you can pull the paddles hard and fast and the transmission will respond appropriately. It is still not quite as instantaneous as a true DCT like on the new M3/4, but the difference in speed is unlikely to be meaningful even on a race track. On the other hand, the C63 shifts more smoothly in slow speed city driving compared to most DCTs.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:27 PM

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
'15 C63S
Originally Posted by irablumberg
The transmission in the previous model, W204 C63, shifted well in the S+ mode when left in automatic. When using the paddles, it would also shift quickly in S+ mode, but only for a single up or down shift. The problem with the transmission was that if you pulled the paddle more than once the transmission would usually ignore all but the first pull. Thus, shifting down 2 or 3 gears was a slow process.

The W205 C63 has improved on this dramatically. In race or Sport+ mode, you can pull the paddles hard and fast and the transmission will respond appropriately. It is still not quite as instantaneous as a true DCT like on the new M3/4, but the difference in speed is unlikely to be meaningful even on a race track. On the other hand, the C63 shifts more smoothly in slow speed city driving compared to most DCTs.

I don't know about the W204, but with the new W205 you can hold down the left paddle, and it'll downshift to the appropriate gear given your throttle input. This helps out a ton when you are trying to pass someone quickly.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:32 AM

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
ML63 W166
Hi "the clutch" , yes its a problem, many comments on this and no resolve yet.
https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...ustration.html
I fitted PeddleBox, well worth the expense but doesnt "fix" the problem but does "mask" it a little.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:22 AM

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
ML63 W166
I PURCHASED AND INSTALLED THE PEDALBOX in my 2014 W166 ML63 a week ago.

And unfortunately, it didn’t “fix” the delay which is “characteristic” (the excuse Mercedes used) for this model when accelerating after slowing down. (it’s a transmission issue), after decelerating I can still literally push the accelerator to the floor and back quickly and nothing happens, accept the gearbox upshifting sometimes.

BUT it did mask it somewhat, Prior to purchase I lacked faith in what the PedalBox was going to achieve, but the change was enough to make it worthwhile.

I certainly don’t regret the purchase of the PedalBox, as it made the driving of the vehicle a lot different, certainly sharpens up the acceleration and do feel like I’m driving some race bred vehicle. I do expect my fuel economy to suffer a little but who buys a big car to worry about fuel economy.

For anyone with a W166 ML63 2012-2015 I would recommend fitting one and I use the “Sport plus” with no red or green led lights.

Personally, from what I have read about MB and their flat spots, I would recommend fitting the PedalBox or Sprint booster or equivalent, as it’s a small expense well worth the expenditure and very easy to install.