MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63/C63S AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg-215/)
-   -   Had to replace all brake pads at 6300 miles! (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg/628864-had-replace-all-brake-pads-6300-miles.html)

Guilty 06-14-2016 08:25 PM

Had to replace all brake pads at 6300 miles!

Hi everyone,

So my car is a W205 C63S. It had exactly 6333 miles when the brake indicator went on.

I thought it was going to be a sensor or a defect, but no, all 4 brake pads are worn evenly at 3mm/2mm. It's unbelievable.

I took it to 2 different dealers. The 2nd one was recommended by a friend who knew the SA and I got to keep the pads. They tried to claim it under warranty but there's no valid excuse. $1200 to replace all 4 corners.

I never took my car to the track, always easy on the brakes (I tend to downshift a lot). My previous car was a CL63 and the pads easily lasted 20k miles even though it was a much heavier car (4700lbs).

I'm just VERY confused. Is this normal? What am I doing wrong? Can someone please try to offer an explanation? This is not about the money, it's just that I don't understand how this happened. I know for a fact that I didn't trash the car. If I did, I wouldn't have had any problems owning up to it. Even my friends that ride with me are surprised since they know that I'm pretty smooth and never hit the brakes hard.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you

Dasani 06-14-2016 10:20 PM

I'm at just about 14000 miles, no problems. Standard C63s brakes, not carbon ceramic.

gerbs 06-14-2016 10:48 PM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...faf5b197a2.jpg

RDOCA 06-14-2016 11:06 PM

Are they CCB?

Guilty 06-14-2016 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by gerbs (Post 6833227)

I don't do burnouts. That was a drift, captured from a video ;)

And still can't explain the front brakes. Thanks for being so observant.

Guilty 06-14-2016 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by RDOCA (Post 6833251)
Are they CCB?

Nope!

JimmyR 06-14-2016 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by - Guilty - (Post 6833095)
Hi everyone,

So my car is a W205 C63S. It had exactly 6333 miles when the brake indicator went on.

I thought it was going to be a sensor or a defect, but no, all 4 brake pads are worn evenly at 3mm/2mm. It's unbelievable.

I took it to 2 different dealers. The 2nd one was recommended by a friend who knew the SA and I got to keep the pads. They tried to claim it under warranty but there's no valid excuse. $1200 to replace all 4 corners.

I never took my car to the track, always easy on the brakes (I tend to downshift a lot). My previous car was a CL63 and the pads easily lasted 20k miles even though it was a much heavier car (4700lbs).

I'm just VERY confused. Is this normal? What am I doing wrong? Can someone please try to offer an explanation? This is not about the money, it's just that I don't understand how this happened. I know for a fact that I didn't trash the car. If I did, I wouldn't have had any problems owning up to it. Even my friends that ride with me are surprised since they know that I'm pretty smooth and never hit the brakes hard.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you

You have to wonder whether the brakes were adjusted properly in the first place. Or a fault with the traction/stability control meaning the brakes are always "on"? Would be impossible to prove the first point - and should have been sorted with pad change anyway, and the second possibility should have been covered off by one of the dealers you took it to.

Guilty 06-14-2016 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by JimmyR (Post 6833270)
You have to wonder whether the brakes were adjusted properly in the first place. Or a fault with the traction/stability control meaning the brakes are always "on"? Would be impossible to prove the first point - and should have been sorted with pad change anyway, and the second possibility should have been covered off by one of the dealers you took it to.

That's why I'm sticking to OEM replacements. If the new OEM pads last for much longer, I'll know that something was up with the OE set. We'll see. I was honestly just shocked. I baby the brakes like you have no idea. I don't want to for 1k per rotor so soon.:smash:

PartyVan 06-15-2016 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by - Guilty - (Post 6833264)

I never took my car to the track, always easy on the brakes

Although you've never took it to the track but you've tracked it judging by that pic...and that is not easy on the brakes either.

Guilty 06-15-2016 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by PartyVan (Post 6833477)
Although you've never took it to the track but you've tracked it judging by that pic...and that is not easy on the brakes either.

You're an idiot. What makes you think you know what I did to my car better than me?

Track = Going at high rates of speed then braking hard at corners.

Drifting = Smashing the throttle with traction control off without using the brakes.

Explain Einstein.

PartyVan 06-15-2016 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by - Guilty - (Post 6833664)
You're an idiot. What makes you think you know what I did to my car better than me?

Drifting = Smashing the throttle with traction control off without using the brakes.

Explain Einstein.

Don't worry about it just keep paying for pads at 6333 miles and everything will be all right. :D

Guilty 06-15-2016 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by PartyVan (Post 6833707)
Don't worry about it just keep paying for pads at 6333 miles and everything will be all right. :D

Exactly the kind of response I expected from a brainless monkey like yourself :D

dforman15 06-15-2016 11:57 AM

I have 7400 miles on my car and I had to take it in to replace brakes and rotors. Never been on a track. I don't abuse the car. Only drive 20-25 miles a day. Luckily they covered it under warranty. :nix:

Guilty 06-15-2016 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by dforman15 (Post 6833734)
I have 7400 miles on my car and I had to take it in to replace brakes and rotors. Never been on a track. I don't abuse the car. Only drive 20-25 miles a day. Luckily they covered it under warranty. :nix:

Hi man,

Thanks for your input. It's really appreciated. Can you please tell me a bit more? How did you know something was up with your brakes?

Which dealership was it?

Thanks a lot!

shoe3k 06-15-2016 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by - Guilty - (Post 6833264)

And still can't explain the front brakes. Thanks for being so observant.

Nice "burn out".

Guilty 06-15-2016 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by shoe3k (Post 6833743)
Nice "burn out".

Didn't touch the brakes.

dforman15 06-15-2016 12:14 PM

Keyes Mercedes Van Nuys,
I took the car in at 5000 miles complaining of squeaky brakes. They drove the car and said that these are performance brakes and I can expect them to squeak a little. (Not CCB) So I took the car back and drove it another 2400 miles. Finally couldn't take the noise anymore so I took it back in and they said I need new brakes and rotors. They mentioned some bulletin regarding the brakes and rotors and said it would be covered.

Guilty 06-15-2016 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by dforman15 (Post 6833760)
Keyes Mercedes Van Nuys,
I took the car in at 5000 miles complaining of squeaky brakes. They drove the car and said that these are performance brakes and I can expect them to squeak a little. (Not CCB) So I took the car back and drove it another 2400 miles. Finally couldn't take the noise anymore so I took it back in and they said I need new brakes and rotors. They mentioned some bulletin regarding the brakes and rotors and said it would be covered.

Ah okay, I never really had any issues with the brakes until now. They were perfect... until they weren't anymore :smash:

vaelin 06-15-2016 01:41 PM

Would be nice to know what the bulletin says. Do you still have the paperwork?

houstonT 06-15-2016 02:41 PM

Interesting as I replaced all 4 pads at 19,000 miles. I daily drive the car and they lasted a good while.
Peter

cm60k 06-15-2016 02:47 PM

Weird..!,

noticed everyone been satisfied, when they replaced their pads soo early..:confused:!,,

is that means; first production pads from factory, were sooooooo BAD..!:nix:!

ZAYED,,

Mr. J 06-15-2016 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by - Guilty - (Post 6833664)

Explain Einstein.

MB version of Torque vectoring uses the brakes, Heisenberg:p: Are you sure that TC was always completely disabled rather than using sport mode? If not, brakes were active while you played. Whether you were aware of it or not.

You might want to be a bit more polite if you want any support.
Just a suggestion.

AlexZTuned 06-15-2016 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by - Guilty - (Post 6833756)
Didn't touch the brakes.

Desert - YouTube

Not trying to stir the pot here, but that screenshot in your signature doesn't look like it's from the video you just posted... just saying.

And as someone already mentioned, brakes can be applied with eLSD's.

Guilty 06-15-2016 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. J (Post 6834052)
MB version of Torque vectoring uses the brakes, Heisenberg:p: Are you sure that TC was always completely disabled rather than using sport mode? If not, brakes were active while you played. Whether you were aware of it or not.

You might want to be a bit more polite if you want any support.
Just a suggestion.

Hey Jesse! Are you being serious right now? You think you can do what I did in the video with ESP in "Sport" only? Of course ESP was completely off, who do you think I am? I either drive with ESP completely off (95% of the time) or ESP ON if it's raining. If it's on, I don't smash it.

I'm not here asking for support, I'm asking if it's normal and it seems that everyone agrees it's not since you're all trying to accuse me of being heavy on the brakes. I didn't come here complaining about tires. I like to drift but burnouts aren't my cup of tea. I'm not going to be polite to people that insinuate that I'm lying. I know that I have to pay to play (ask my tire shop).

Originally Posted by AlexZTuned (Post 6834059)
Not trying to stir the pot here, but that screenshot in your signature doesn't look like it's from the video you just posted... just saying.

And as someone already mentioned, brakes can be applied with eLSD's.

It was taken from a different angle, I thought it'd be obvious... apparently not. Here you go:

Mr. J 06-15-2016 05:52 PM

Nope I wasn't accusing you of being heavy on the brake. I was just pointing out one instance where the brakes can engage without driver braking input.

But while we're on the subject of accusations..
You are being defensive and rude. Those are character flaws in case you aren't aware.

I hope you get your brake situation worked out satisfactorily.