C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering 2017 AMG C43 Coupe. Have questions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
550i xD
Considering 2017 AMG C43 Coupe. Have questions.

Hi guys. New member here. Currently driving an AWD 550i, which was my first German car after having owned only Japanese cars for the past 18 years. I am considering getting a new car and the AMG C43 coupe is on my shortlist. I have a few questions that I am hoping you can answer:

- Are there any reliability concerns with this car? Looking into it, it appears old C-class AMGs had transmission issues but engines were solid. I recall the old saying that MBs usually have electrical and transmission issues, BMWs have engine problems, and Audis have all imaginable problems. I should add that I intend to keep the car for at least 5 years, ~ 50k miles, and it will be a purchase, not a lease. I enjoy spirited driving but I don't beat up my cars and motorcycles, and keep them impeccably maintained. What I am trying to avoid is a maintenance headache.

- If the car has to be special-ordered, how long does it take? Any allocation/availability issues in the US?

- How does MB NA handle warranty claims and related exceptions? One thing I have noticed about BMW is that they are proactive about warranty issues and make exceptions as needed. My 550i has been trouble-free but I was suspicious of the battery and even though it tested ok, BMW NA authorized the dealer to replace it free of charge. And that's on a 5-year old car. Curious on how MB compares.

If I think of anything else, I will add it below. I intend to test drive the car this week. Appreciate your input.

Last edited by ManiZ; 03-19-2017 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:31 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
Originally Posted by ManiZ
Hi guys. New member here. Currently driving an AWD 550i, which was my first German car after having owned only Japanese cars for the past 18 years. I am considering getting a new car and the AMG C43 coupe is on my shortlist. I have a few questions that I am hoping you can answer:

- Are there any reliability concerns with this car? Looking into it, it appears old C-class AMGs had transmission issues but engines were solid. I recall the old saying that MBs usually have electrical and transmission issues, BMWs have engine problems, and Audis have all imaginable problems. I should add that I intend to keep the car for at least 5 years, ~ 50k miles, and it will be a purchase, not a lease. I enjoy spirited driving but I don't beat up my cars and motorcycles, and keep them impeccably maintained. What I am trying to avoid is a maintenance headache.

- If the car has to be special-ordered, how long does it take? Any allocation/availability issues in the US?

- How does MB NA handle warranty claims and related exceptions? One thing I have noticed about BMW is that they are proactive about warranty issues and make exceptions as needed. My 550i has been trouble-free but I was suspicious of the battery and even though it tested ok, BMW NA authorized the dealer to replace it free of charge. And that's on a 5-year old car. Curious on how MB compares.

If I think of anything else, I will add it below. I intend to test drive the car this week. Appreciate your input.
I was planning to buy the 2017 model until I found out from the dealer that the 2018 is coming out in late June/early July. I was planning to have one built. Dealer told me MB is not taking orders for 2017 models.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C43AMG 2017
Just collected mine, love it!
Old 03-22-2017, 05:39 PM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
435i xDrive, C43 4Matic Coupe
Originally Posted by Flash Gordon
I was planning to buy the 2017 model until I found out from the dealer that the 2018 is coming out in late June/early July. I was planning to have one built. Dealer told me MB is not taking orders for 2017 models.
The 2018 Coupe comes out in June / July? I'm a little surprised. The 2017 C43C hit dealerships late October 2016 in North America. That would mean the 2017 model was only given 8 months? Then again, the 2013 Acura RDX started selling in March 2012 lol.

I wonder if I can get a 2019 C43C delivered before this year ends....
Old 03-22-2017, 11:29 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2012 C63 AMG (Sold)
Originally Posted by ManiZ

If I think of anything else, I will add I intend to test drive the car this week. Appreciate your input.
I test drove the car and it is a solid sub AMG car prior to ending up purchasing a C63 instead. But the C43 AMG is still a fairly new car with not so many concerns from owners speaking out that I was able to find yet online. Reliability etc should be solid as Mercedes Benz overall builds pretty solid cars and would have no more or less issues then BMW. Audi on the other hand is another story owning previous mistakes. But out of warranty MBZ are about 2Xish expensive to fix then BMW parts. I have been around MBZ since I was about 7 years old as my mom had worked for the company for as long as I can remember in my childhood and they are amazing cars to enjoy and be apart of. The C43 should be a fairly solid and great quality car with very minor and fickle issues depending on mileage and previous owners care.
New you have a 4 year 50k warranty with the option to buy extended before your 50k is up to extend to 75k, 100k etc and additional years or unlimited mile programs. I have only had to do warranty 1 time since I bought my car and it was absolutely seem less and taking care of promptly with loaner car and great service. So with that said you should be good on the proper conversion over to MBZ over BMW. As I can speak for myself personally MBZ service and people affiliated has always made me feel special. Good luck!

Last edited by Jben63; 03-22-2017 at 11:32 PM.