Transmission issues scaring me off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by alexasa
Actually, no. None of those things. This is where you are putting opinions aside and pushing whatever agenda you have.

I agree and disagree with you. Yes - I think AMG/MB got the most out of a turbocharged V6 engine.

I have reached that conclusion with your borderline obscene behavior and the willingness to boast about your silliness here on the forums. Posting videos and threads about you hammering on your car IN DOWNTOWN city areas. Your driving position is **** poor, etc.

You are obsessed with the way this car sounds in a rather unhealthy way, IMO. There are dozens of factors that go into a car and the way it sounds is important but only a fraction of the equation. But sure, if all you want to do is look like an asshat in downtown areas - this car will suffice in it's stock/standard form.
You didn't describe where else the car isn't meeting your expectations either. You just downright dismissed it as not so much of an interesting car and it would be pretty easy to forget about. I don't agree with that, not even a little bit.

I would agree with you, that how this car sounds is one of the most important contributors for me. The video I made was in downtown, just because of the acoustical advantage there, for the just purpose of entertainment. Also that was in a very non residential part of downtown. About being an asshat, again that is just your opinion. haha. My friends with their C43 does the exact things I do with the car. May be it will go away with age. I wouldn't argue with you about it, cause I do understand that to you it might look that way.

Also I do open the car up in proper roads more often as well. It sounds even better due to the short gearing of the 9G mct.

About my sitting position, it comes from Chris Harris's own guide for setting it up. Forgive me if I take your opinion of it with a grain of salt.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
Originally Posted by arnold0523
We had a recall on the wipers? I didn't know that. Do you more details on this?
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Def not a recall on wipers...
Recall was not the right word. I swear there was a wiper TSB sticky at the top of the C-class forum...one that, of course, is no longer there and I can't find in search. I stand corrected.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 666 Likes on 524 Posts
c
Originally Posted by munis
You didn't describe where else the car isn't meeting your expectations either. You just downright dismissed it as not so much of an interesting car and it would be pretty easy to forget about. I don't agree with that, not even a little bit.

I would agree with you, that how this car sounds is one of the most important contributors for me. The video I made was in downtown, just because of the acoustical advantage there, for the just purpose of entertainment. Also that was in a very non residential part of downtown. About being an asshat, again that is just your opinion. haha. My friends with their C43 does the exact things I do with the car. May be it will go away with age. I wouldn't argue with you about it, cause I do understand that to you it might look that way.

Also I do open the car up in proper roads more often as well. It sounds even better due to the short gearing of the 9G mct.

About my sitting position, it comes from Chris Harris's own guide for setting it up. Forgive me if I take your opinion of it with a grain of salt.
Well, I appreciate your understanding. In that video it looks like your posture is way too lazyboy as opposed to upright. But, It's just a video. I didn't call you an asshat, to be fair. I just think that behavior is a little silly.

My problems with this car:
1. coefficient of drag - with a head wind the car is not confidence inspiring. The wind will push the car more than I have ever experienced in a smaller sedan.

2. Suspension: Abrupt dampening in this car is atrocious. It is comfortable otherwise. The initial dampening characteristics are far too abusive/hard for how soft the car is and how much body roll the car has.

3. Sound system - worst sound system I've had in a car.. ever? I owned a 2006 C230 Sport ages ago and that had a better sound system. And my Audis up until now have had better BASE equipment.

4. Rattles: There are many and they are frequent. I don't have anymore time to sit at the dealership for multiple visits to have this resolved nor am I invested in this car to have it fixed.

5. The OEM Tire and wheels are just garbage. The p-zeros could not be balanced. The wheels are soft and they will bend easily. Myself and others have gone through entire sets of Pzeros in an attempt to have these tires balanced. (swapped them out already)

6. aftermarket scene is terrible. hardly any mods have come to market and this car is 3-4 years old (including the c450/c400 distinctions)?

Things this car is great for:

1. Has way less understeer than my previous B8.5 S4. And you can even play with the rear end a bit with all the low end torque the car has. The car turns in aggressively.

2. Car sounds great stock and has great power. It's addicting to get on the throttle just to feel the torque push you back into the seat.

Aesthetically - the car is handsome. There are some things I miss about the S4 but I like the way this car looks inside and out (not more or less than my previous car, however).

Last edited by alexasa; 07-19-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by RichardCranium3
Recall was not the right word. I swear there was a wiper TSB sticky at the top of the C-class forum...one that, of course, is no longer there and I can't find in search. I stand corrected.
Yeah there is an LI that outlines the steps to take to address wiping concerns. Far cry from a recall, it's just instructions of what to do with that specific complaint.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:20 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 C43 Coupe
Well, I appreciate your understanding. In that video it looks like your posture is way too lazyboy as opposed to upright. But, It's just a video. I didn't call you an asshat, to be fair. I just think that behavior is a little silly.

1. coefficient of drag - with a head wind the car is not confidence inspiring. The wind will push the car more than I have ever experienced in a smaller sedan.

2. Suspension: Abrupt dampening in this car is atrocious. It is comfortable otherwise. The initial dampening characteristics are far too abusive/hard for how soft the car is and how much body roll the car has.

3. Sound system - worst sound system I've had in a car.. ever? I owned a 2006 C230 Sport ages ago and that had a better sound system. And my Audis up until now have had better BASE equipment.

4. Rattles: There are many and they are frequent. I don't have anymore time to sit at the dealership for multiple visits to have this resolved nor am I invested in this car to have it fixed.

5. The OEM Tire and wheels are just garbage. The p-zeros could not be balanced. The wheels are soft and they will bend easily. Myself and others have gone through entire sets of Pzeros in an attempt to have these tires balanced. (swapped them out already)

6. aftermarket scene is terrible. hardly any mods have come to market and this car is 3-4 years old (including the c450/c400 distinctions)?

Things this car is great for:

1. Has way less understeer than my previous B8.5 S4. And you can even play with the rear end a bit with all the low end torque the car has. The car turns in aggressively.

2. Car sounds great stock and has great power. It's addicting to get on the throttle just to feel the torque push you back into the seat.

Aesthetically - the car is handsome. There are some things I miss about the S4 but I like the way this car looks inside and out (not more or less than my previous car, however).
Something doesn't seem right, every review on this car, track driven or back roads praises this car for the limited body roll. The suspension I have heard is a bit rough, but it is AMG suspension so it's likely. I heard keeping the suspension in comfort or even sport rather then sport + helps.

Do you have the Sedan? People have said there are far less if any rattles in the coupe.

As far as tires go I'm having the dealer swap them out. Run flats are just garbage, luckily you can just get better tires and problem solved. I've also heard it helps with smoothing out the ride and dampening the noise in the cabin.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Originally Posted by Vincent Aiosa
Something doesn't seem right, every review on this car, track driven or back roads praises this car for the limited body roll. The suspension I have heard is a bit rough, but it is AMG suspension so it's likely. I heard keeping the suspension in comfort or even sport rather then sport + helps.

Do you have the Sedan? People have said there are far less if any rattles in the coupe.

As far as tires go I'm having the dealer swap them out. Run flats are just garbage, luckily you can just get better tires and problem solved. I've also heard it helps with smoothing out the ride and dampening the noise in the cabin.
I am nitpicking. These issues don't concern me a whole lot on a day to day basis. But the greater picture that it paints is why I don't just absolutely love every moment in this car.

It's a great car and even harder to beat in the segment. Don't get me wrong. But, as a package, the car doesn't encapsulate the right mojo for me.

(As far for the bodyroll thing, long sweepers this car suffers and I am fairly confident that is the way I feel about it - especially in relationship with how firm the suspension is.)

Last edited by alexasa; 07-19-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Problems 1, 2 and 5: Can all be addressed just by switching to a better summer tire, like the PS4S. As I am sure you have heard by now that it makes a night and day difference. Mercedes does have to push the horrible RFTs on us because there is no space for a spare tire.

For problem 1: I live in the country side of north western Ontario and the wind here is horrific, ever since I grabbed a new set of tires, the difference it made beggars belief. The car now goes like it is on frigging rails.

For problem 2: In sports+ suspension, the car has next to no body roll. In comfort suspension, it is a bit loopy, yes. But it became really comfortable in all the modes after I switched out the tires. And the grip levels in s+ was phenomenal.

Problem 5: As above

3 and 4: These two problems, I am with you 100% . The rattles are absolutely crazy and Mercedes's reluctancy to accept that these are indeed very seriously irritating problems are absolutely crazy. Like there is little I can do when the SAs I have gone to turns a blind eye to all the noises the car is making going over bumps.

I am looking into it, I will let you guys know if I can get this fixed. I do have an appointment set up next week to get this looked at.

Problem 6: This might be taken care by the end of this year looking at the rate at which the C43 is selling these days.

Last edited by munis; 07-20-2017 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 Mustang GT
OP i'm on the same boat as you. Researching down to the bone to make sure I don't regret my decision since it's such a big purchase.

Just for comparison reason, my wife's Acura MDX with 9 speed transmission does the same thing. It'll thump, jerk and sometimes confused as to where to place the gear when stopping and going abruptly.

Additionally, did you consider Porsche Macan GTS? I know that it's not completely apples to apples but I'm actually cross shopping with a Macan. I threw it into the mix because it has all the sporty components that we look for in a DD and received amazing reviews. I test drove a Macan S and was highly impressed.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Problems 1, 2 and 5: Can all be addressed just by switching to a better summer tire, like the PS4S. As I am sure you have heard by now that it makes a night and day difference. Mercedes does have to push the horrible RFTs on us because there is no space for a spare tire.

For problem 1: I live in the country side of north western Ontario and the wind here is horrific, ever since I grabbed a new set of tires, the difference it made beggars belief. The car now goes like it is on frigging rails.

For problem 2: In sports+ suspension, the car has next to no body roll. In comfort suspension, it is a bit loopy, yes. But it became really comfortable in all the modes after I switched out the tires. And the grip levels in s+ was phenomenal.

Problem 5: As above

3 and 5: These two problems, I am with you 100% . The rattles are absolutely crazy and Mercedes's reluctancy to accept that these are indeed very seriously irritating problems are absolutely crazy. Like there is little I can do when the SAs I have gone to turns a blind eye to all the noises the car is making going over bumps.

I am looking into it, I will let you guys know if I can get this fixed. I do have an appointment set up next week to get this looked at.

Problem 6: This might be taken care by the end of this year looking at the rate at which the C43 is selling these days.
I have different tires and wheels. It doesn't improve ride quality that much (the suspension is just poorly tuned IMO). I didn't feel any difference as far as wind is concerned.

body roll is sloppy no matter what setting

Last edited by alexasa; 07-20-2017 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:00 PM

Received 113 Likes on 82 Posts
c43 Amg coupe
I have different tires and wheels. It doesn't improve ride quality that much (the suspension is just poorly tuned IMO). I didn't feel any difference as far as wind is concerned.

body roll is sloppy no matter what setting
How about road noise? Did that improve? The runflats seem loud to me. Like i'm riding on the plastic wheels i had on my big wheel as a kid...smh.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Originally Posted by DVision44
How about road noise? Did that improve? The runflats seem loud to me. Like i'm riding on the plastic wheels i had on my big wheel as a kid...smh.
will depend on what tire you replace it with, but yes - that has improved.
The following users liked this post:
DVision44 (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
I took off my 19" rims and put 17" rims and only put 28 psi in the tires and it improved ride quality some what
Old 07-20-2017, 11:17 PM

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Cabriolet Black/Cranberry Red
Originally Posted by Gungaslow
I took off my 19" rims and put 17" rims and only put 28 psi in the tires and it improved ride quality some what
You can clear the c43 brakes with 17's? If that's the case, I'm happy my w205 c300 winters will still fit!
Old 07-21-2017, 12:04 AM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
435i xDrive, C43 4Matic Coupe
Sooo.....not to cause panic.....but I got the juddering tranny twice today in Comfort. First time it's ever happened to me in anything outside of Sport+. Had my first service yesterday with NO software update.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:22 AM

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2020 MB-AMG GLC43
Originally Posted by Vincent Aiosa
Im now about 2 1/2 months away from taking delivery on a 2018 c43 I built with my dealer. The more I read these forums about the issues with the car jerking the more I'm reconsidering this purchase. I decided to go down and test drive it and replicate the problem people are talking about, and sure enough about 5 min in it happened. Came up to a red light, rolling in Sport + about 15 mph, light turned green and stepped back on the pedal and the car literally threw me back and forth for a good 3-4 seconds before it stopped due to me taking my foot off the gas. Me and the rep looked at each other in shock, and it was even more nerve wrecking because it happened as I was making a left in the middle of an intersection.

When we got back to the dealer I had the manager make note of it, waiting to hear back from him as he said he'd call a rep and see if they have corrected it in the 18's with different software or whatever.

Seriously sucks, this car is everything I want but I'm not about to drop 75k on something that drives like that under certain circumstances. Makes me reconsider the 2018 S5 SB.

I think the bucking is about the way people drive it. Occasionally I do it too in Sport+, because I come off the throttle and back on really quick and you can cause a bucking action. Nothing wrong with the car!

When in Sport+, with the tight tranny and with all the torque this car delivers - It will happen. It IS NOT a defect in the design. I just don't think people realize what is happening or care to admit it might be their own driving.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:23 AM

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2020 MB-AMG GLC43
If you have ever driven a manual sport car and left it in first gear and decelerated and then accelerated.. it does the same bucking motion..the transmission first gear is very low so it has much torque thus the bucking .. the v6 brings torque very early in the rpm range..not much slipping in the torque converter is good to put power down to the wheels but is not good for deceleration and acceleration in low gears for smoothness..what I'm saying is the transmission is very aggressive and if you don't like it it's not the car for you.. I've always had stick shift cars so I'm used to what happens in low gear situations..S+ is the worst though.. comfort starts in 2nd gear so it's best for you I believe.. S is in between both of the other 2 so you may like that too
What he said.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:19 AM

Received 176 Likes on 104 Posts
2020 GLC 63
If you have ever driven a manual sport car and left it in first gear and decelerated and then accelerated.. it does the same bucking motion..the transmission first gear is very low so it has much torque thus the bucking .. the v6 brings torque very early in the rpm range..not much slipping in the torque converter is good to put power down to the wheels but is not good for deceleration and acceleration in low gears for smoothness..what I'm saying is the transmission is very aggressive and if you don't like it it's not the car for you.. I've always had stick shift cars so I'm used to what happens in low gear situations..S+ is the worst though.. comfort starts in 2nd gear so it's best for you I believe.. S is in between both of the other 2 so you may like that too
Originally Posted by FastE
I think the bucking is about the way people drive it. Occasionally I do it too in Sport+, because I come off the throttle and back on really quick and you can cause a bucking action. Nothing wrong with the car!

When in Sport+, with the tight tranny and with all the torque this car delivers - It will happen. It IS NOT a defect in the design. I just don't think people realize what is happening or care to admit it might be their own driving.
x3
It happened to me a couple of times, I quickly shifted into 2nd via paddle and the bucking immediately went away. When it happens in a stick car, I usually press the clutch to let the car settle down. As said before, it's not really a big deal and it's most likely driver induced.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You gotta stop trolling man.
The following users liked this post:
FastE (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 05:27 PM
Former Member

Received 94 Likes on 89 Posts
CLS
The guy is just joking around-that you don't appreciate it doesn't mean he is trolling.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
You gotta stop trolling man.
You don't like my 17" wheels man? What's the problem? They made it ride like a 1974 Cadillac! So smooth.. and it steers like a school bus!! Next I'm gonna try replacing the sprigs with accordions so it plays music on bumps
Old 07-21-2017, 05:53 PM
Former Member

CLS
Gunga, some folks don't like to laugh.

Zydeco?
Old 07-22-2017, 06:47 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
Originally Posted by RichardCranium3
Originally Posted by CFG
Gunga, some folks don't like to laugh.

Zydeco?
Old 08-14-2017, 08:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 C43 AMG, previously 2015 Jeep Wrangler JK, 2007 BMW 335i, 1995 Civic SI
So after a trip to the dealership to diagnose the problem, the service manager told me that they would have to order in parts and that it would take 10 days to arrive. Was also told that my vehicle was safe to drive. Parts finally arrived and brought the car back to the dealer. Car was there for 2 days and was given a C300 loaner to drive. Got the car back and issue seemed to be resolved but the next day it happened again. Called the service manager and they said that the transmission had to "re-learn" my driving habits and to give it 2 weeks or 1000 km to see if it reoccurs. Gonna give it the 2 weeks but if it happens again, gonna seriously consider cutting my losses on the car. Love everything else about the car but realistically can't have it go into "Rodeo" mode while I'm just putting around. Everything was covered under warranty.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:47 PM
Former Member

CLS
They are pissing on your leg and telling you it is raining.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 C43 AMG, previously 2015 Jeep Wrangler JK, 2007 BMW 335i, 1995 Civic SI
Sorry, I'd rather take the advice of my service manager over some random dude on the 'net.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Transmission issues scaring me off