Sponsored by:

Transmission issues scaring me off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 07:46 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 C43 Coupe
Transmission issues scaring me off

Im now about 2 1/2 months away from taking delivery on a 2018 c43 I built with my dealer. The more I read these forums about the issues with the car jerking the more I'm reconsidering this purchase. I decided to go down and test drive it and replicate the problem people are talking about, and sure enough about 5 min in it happened. Came up to a red light, rolling in Sport + about 15 mph, light turned green and stepped back on the pedal and the car literally threw me back and forth for a good 3-4 seconds before it stopped due to me taking my foot off the gas. Me and the rep looked at each other in shock, and it was even more nerve wrecking because it happened as I was making a left in the middle of an intersection.

When we got back to the dealer I had the manager make note of it, waiting to hear back from him as he said he'd call a rep and see if they have corrected it in the 18's with different software or whatever.

Seriously sucks, this car is everything I want but I'm not about to drop 75k on something that drives like that under certain circumstances. Makes me reconsider the 2018 S5 SB.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
Take your $$ back and run!!! Mercedes isn't for you
Old 07-17-2017, 08:02 PM

2018 C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by Gungaslow
Take your $$ back and run!!! Mercedes isn't for you
What makes you say that?
Old 07-17-2017, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 C43 sedan
If you have ever driven a manual sport car and left it in first gear and decelerated and then accelerated.. it does the same bucking motion..the transmission first gear is very low so it has much torque thus the bucking .. the v6 brings torque very early in the rpm range..not much slipping in the torque converter is good to put power down to the wheels but is not good for deceleration and acceleration in low gears for smoothness..what I'm saying is the transmission is very aggressive and if you don't like it it's not the car for you.. I've always had stick shift cars so I'm used to what happens in low gear situations..S+ is the worst though.. comfort starts in 2nd gear so it's best for you I believe.. S is in between both of the other 2 so you may like that too

Last edited by Gungaslow; 07-17-2017 at 08:35 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Gungaslow:
19’43s (07-30-2020), FastE (07-21-2017), munis (07-18-2017), nonblkcanadian (07-20-2017), Star4life (03-18-2018)
Old 07-17-2017, 08:42 PM

2018 C43 Coupe
If you have ever driven a manual sport car and left it in first gear and decelerated and then accelerated.. it does the same bucking motion..the transmission first gear is very low so it has much torque thus the bucking .. the v6 brings torque very early in the rpm range..not much slipping in the torque converter is good to put power down to the wheels but is not good for deceleration and acceleration in low gears for smoothness..what I'm saying is the transmission is very aggressive and if you don't like it it's not the car for you.. I've always had stick shift cars so I'm used to what happens in low gear situations..S+ is the worst though.. comfort starts in 2nd gear so it's best for you I believe.. S is in between both of the other 2 so you may like that too
Doesn't mean its not the care for me, just means I would have to take a different approach. If its "working as intended" then It just means you have to work around it to correct it. I was under the impression there was actually an issue with the tranny thus causing the problem.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:13 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
C450
Originally Posted by Vincent Aiosa
Doesn't mean its not the care for me, just means I would have to take a different approach. If its "working as intended" then It just means you have to work around it to correct it. I was under the impression there was actually an issue with the tranny thus causing the problem.
These cars have several things that "work as intended" that in other cars would never have been released in that same condition. I'd go elsewhere.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:57 PM

2018 C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by likerage
These cars have several things that "work as intended" that in other cars would never have been released in that same condition. I'd go elsewhere.
Like what?
Old 07-18-2017, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 C43 sedan
Like what?
Let's see....rattles everywhere, rides like it has bricks for shocks, no open door warning till you drive down the street and notice one of your kids fell out, transmission bucking for some people not used to it, front tire wear, windshield wiper chatter, Mercedes apps that are terrible and seldom work like remote start, and a bunch of other stuff!!
Old 07-18-2017, 06:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 681 Likes on 536 Posts
c
The transmission issue is directly related to the gearing. It wants to pop down into first, but you give it feedback too soon saying, no I want to go already. So the transmission will either wait a second to drop to first and then be clunky with too much torque in too low of a gear or it will hesitate to figure out it should stay in second. Either way, it's not a pleasant experience.

I manual mode nearly 100% of the time and never have this issue, but if you are at all someone who yields at stops signs, etc. you will feel this transmission quirk nearly every time.

It's like the programmed it without ever street testing in real world scenarios. It works great if you come to a full stop - but in the real world you only do that half the time.

If you can tap a paddle when driving in sport/sport+ when coming to stop, you will avoid the problem too. Like you said, it's working as intended - and can certainly be worked around. Whether or not you are personally up for that is another story.

MB has generally been a generation behind in their automatic transmission designs up until VERY recently. The 9 speed transmission is praised to be better than the competitors ZF8 in the Audi, but it's not without its faults. Using the ZF8 is a much easier approach, half of the automotive industry is using that transmission. So, generally, you'll get better support and more mature programming from a car fitted with it - especially for street driving.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:12 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
Let's see....rattles everywhere, rides like it has bricks for shocks, no open door warning till you drive down the street and notice one of your kids fell out, transmission bucking for some people not used to it, front tire wear, windshield wiper chatter, Mercedes apps that are terrible and seldom work like remote start, and a bunch of other stuff!!
+1 on the front tire wear. Had the left front tire replaced yesterday so had a chance to closely look at the tires (19" P0 run flats). Asked the service advisor about the wear since I only have 4,700 miles on the tires. He said that it was normal. I need to measure the tread depth and see how much has been left behind. At least the tire was covered by the wheel and tire insurance my wife made me buy.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Originally Posted by Biggreenogg
+1 on the front tire wear. Had the left front tire replaced yesterday so had a chance to closely look at the tires (19" P0 run flats). Asked the service advisor about the wear since I only have 4,700 miles on the tires. He said that it was normal. I need to measure the tread depth and see how much has been left behind. At least the tire was covered by the wheel and tire insurance my wife made me buy.
you'll definitely get your monies worth.

I could not get the pzeros properly balanced, did away with them and put some proper tires on and they have been wearing slowly and consistently (as expected).
Old 07-18-2017, 06:56 AM

2018 C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by Biggreenogg
Are run flats the only tire we can buy? Tire rack doesn't even offer anything but run flats.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 158 Posts
2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
Are run flats the only tire we can buy? Tire rack doesn't even offer anything but run flats.
Search by the size, not car.
The coupe does not rattle at all compared to the sedan. Transmission - sure, it does jerk sometimes or rock when shifting from 2nd to 1st gear before complete stop and you have to hold the brakes really well or you'll end up in the car in front of you. But i DO enjoy the car while i hated the C450 with 7-speed tranny. 9-speed tranny is actually slightly better. Also, S5 SB is a very nice car, but i'd say it's more luxurious than sporty. I even considering one as a second car for my wife
Old 07-18-2017, 09:00 AM

2018 C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by NYCSoiL
Search by the size, not car.
The coupe does not rattle at all compared to the sedan. Transmission - sure, it does jerk sometimes or rock when shifting from 2nd to 1st gear before complete stop and you have to hold the brakes really well or you'll end up in the car in front of you. But i DO enjoy the car while i hated the C450 with 7-speed tranny. 9-speed tranny is actually slightly better. Also, S5 SB is a very nice car, but i'd say it's more luxurious than sporty. I even considering one as a second car for my wife
Well if there's no real problem with the tranny and just bc too much torque I can understand that. I am getting the coupe built so that's a relief if rattles aren't as bad. I'm a bit of an audiophile, my current Kia Optima has a infinity setup and while not nearly the best is still very good. Concerned about all the hate towards the burmester speakers.

TBH there's not many other cars in this price range that pull me in like the c43. The 18 S5 SB would be next up but I agree, more luxury less sporty and that's a problem. C43 felt faster, exhaust note is much better and exterior styling is on top. BMW cars just don't do it for me, here in New York they're everywhere and I'm tired of seeing them plus I don't like their interior.

I guess when you're spending this much and buying a car you want to make sure it's gonna give you the money's worth. Appreciate everyone taking the time to point out the problems, just crazy to see so many people saying run away like the car is plagued with problems.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
Someone's gotta say it - don't forget that more often than not, the squeaky wheels get the grease. The folks with "problems" speaking up on forums generally out number the folks that go about their days none the wiser of an issue. If you weren't aware of the transmission bucking before you test drove the car, it's possible you'd never have encountered it. Is it a con of the transmission? Absolutely. However, it's a completely manageable con since you know what causes it.

Others are absolutely just in mentioning the squeaks, tire wear, crappy run flats that affect the ride, and so on. With that said, none of them are the rule, and more likely the exception (except RFs...universally garbage). Again, squeaky wheel gets the grease mentality. Additionally, all are manageable. Squeaks - speak with your service adviser. There have been plenty of posts about reduction/elimination under warranty. Run flats - switch to conventional performance tire. Wipers - there's a recall on them.

To hop back on topic of the transmission, this is my first automatic in 16 years...while I have experienced the bucking issue, it hasn't taken anything away from me enjoying this car in the slightest. I started thinking of it like a manual when it S+ and never have a problem.

Again, not trying to take away from anything mentioned or any single persons issues, but none of them are the end of the world. Just trying to sprinkle in some perspective.
The following 4 users liked this post by RichardCranium3:
coladin (07-19-2017), jaap74 (03-25-2018), munis (07-18-2017), PeterNw (07-30-2020)
Old 07-18-2017, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Guys who are having this issue, how about try a very simple test, you don't have to be in the proper manual mode, just pull the shift down pedal when you are about to start and you will notice that it never ever happens.

I have 20k km on my ODO, and I experienced this only 2 or 3 times over the last 8 months. And even when it did happen, just upshifting immediately solves it right away. You know you do not have to let the gas go everytime when this happens right? Neither do you have to have manual gear button pressed to do a upshift.

Try this out and put your feedback here.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Originally Posted by munis
Guys who are having this issue, how about try a very simple test, you don't have to be in the proper manual mode, just pull the shift down pedal when you are about to start and you will notice that it never ever happens.

I have 20k km on my ODO, and I experienced this only 2 or 3 times over the last 8 months. And even when it did happen, just upshifting immediately solves it right away. You know you do not have to let the gas go everytime when this happens right? Neither do you have to have manual gear button pressed to do a upshift.

I have said this already. People will either be curious to try or keep complaining in ignorance.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
Originally Posted by munis

In my experience it happens when the car is cold or when rolling 5-15mph and making a turn
Old 07-18-2017, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
Well if there's no real problem with the tranny and just bc too much torque I can understand that. I am getting the coupe built so that's a relief if rattles aren't as bad. I'm a bit of an audiophile, my current Kia Optima has a infinity setup and while not nearly the best is still very good. Concerned about all the hate towards the burmester speakers.

TBH there's not many other cars in this price range that pull me in like the c43. The 18 S5 SB would be next up but I agree, more luxury less sporty and that's a problem. C43 felt faster, exhaust note is much better and exterior styling is on top. BMW cars just don't do it for me, here in New York they're everywhere and I'm tired of seeing them plus I don't like their interior.

I guess when you're spending this much and buying a car you want to make sure it's gonna give you the money's worth. Appreciate everyone taking the time to point out the problems, just crazy to see so many people saying run away like the car is plagued with problems.
Well, I'm also coming from a KDM and can tell you that Mercedes is very-very different. And I'm in my second benz and I still don't feel a soul in the car. It's quick and nice, but something is just different. Can't figure it out yet. It's more severe, I'd say. This car makes me more nervous than any other car i've ever had.. Also, Infinity speakers are much better than crapmester in the C class.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c

Don't pay much attention to Gungaslow, he is the forum moron/troll.

His posts are nearly always useless in terms of content.
The following users liked this post:
Tej7 (07-20-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Originally Posted by NYCSoiL
Well, I'm also coming from a KDM and can tell you that Mercedes is very-very different. And I'm in my second benz and I still don't feel a soul in the car. It's quick and nice, but something is just different. Can't figure it out yet. It's more severe, I'd say. This car makes me more nervous than any other car i've ever had.. Also, Infinity speakers are much better than crapmester in the C class.
Have to agree. I have a rollercoaster of emotion for this car.

One day I have neutral feelings towards the car, some days I am enthralled and other days I hate it.

I know one thing for certain - I will not miss this car when it's gone. A feeling I am unfamiliar with - as I always had a feeling of sorrow when leaving my old car, despite being excited to get into the new one.

I also feel this way after only a year of ownership.
The following users liked this post:
NYCSoiL (07-18-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 12:16 PM

2018 C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by alexasa

One day I have neutral feelings towards the car, some days I am enthralled and other days I hate it.

I know one thing for certain - I will not miss this car when it's gone. A feeling I am unfamiliar with - as I always had a feeling of sorrow when leaving my old car, despite being excited to get into the new one.

Damn that's hard to hear, Anyone have any other recommendations for something in this class? MSRP is $74k
Old 07-18-2017, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
Damn that's hard to hear, Anyone have any other recommendations for something in this class? MSRP is $74k
Tesla Model S.
Im actually deciding between the S5 SB and Tesla MS.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Depends on what you want from a car. You could totally go up a tier for some of these cars that aren't selling well. ATS-V and GS-F are two cars you get damn near 20% off MSRP bring it inline with your budget.

Both of those cars have their own issues. For instance, the infotainment (CUE) in the Caddy is basically, universally hated. The transmission in the GS-F is lacking, probably on par with the old 7 speed in the c450. Both also have their merits, the chassis in the caddy being regarded as one of the best sedan chassis of all time. And the GS-F still sports a NA V8.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by alexasa

Do you have the AMG PE in your car?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Transmission issues scaring me off