Beeping and Clanking Exhaust? With Video

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 02:44 PM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
Beeping and Clanking Exhaust? With Video

Hi guys,

So I have another issue here, it is clearly coming from the left exhaust somewhere but it is a beeping and clanking noise. Happens every 1-2 minutes about two times after the car is shut off. I also notice it when idling at say a drive thru. I have no clue if it continues to happen while driving but I’ve noticed it for a couple of days. It’s always the same noises as well, never different. Again, no noticeable change in performance, and no issue indicators on the car. Please see the video, I cut the video down but it does demonstrate the sound I’m describing. does anyone have any ideas what’s going on?
Attached Files
Old 09-24-2017, 04:09 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Saab 900 SET
Originally Posted by FirstMBAMG
Hi guys,

So I have another issue here, it is clearly coming from the left exhaust somewhere but it is a beeping and clanking noise. Happens every 1-2 minutes about two times after the car is shut off. I also notice it when idling at say a drive thru. I have no clue if it continues to happen while driving but I’ve noticed it for a couple of days. It’s always the same noises as well, never different. Again, no noticeable change in performance, and no issue indicators on the car. Please see the video, I cut the video down but it does demonstrate the sound I’m describing. does anyone have any ideas what’s going on?
I think that is just contraction of the metal parts in the exhaust as it cools off.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:52 PM

C43 AMG Coupe
***UPDATE:

Thanks for the response synergize0, however I actually just looked again and got under the car.

I found that the performance exhaust valve on the left exhaust was continuously opening and closing, while the right one worked correctly. The right valve also worked appropriately when the performance exhaust was on and off, however the left valve opened and closed at random.

With this in mind, does anyone know what to look for with this malfunction? I looked at the wiring and it looks okay, but I am happy to have help.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by FirstMBAMG
***UPDATE:

Thanks for the response synergize0, however I actually just looked again and got under the car.

I found that the performance exhaust valve on the left exhaust was continuously opening and closing, while the right one worked correctly. The right valve also worked appropriately when the performance exhaust was on and off, however the left valve opened and closed at random.

With this in mind, does anyone know what to look for with this malfunction? I looked at the wiring and it looks okay, but I am happy to have help.
It's unfortunate that this is happening on your car! The "beeping" noise is the induction sound of the motor that controls the exhaust flaps. I'm not really sure where it might be located but it's quite possible that the controller that drives the the exhaust flap motor is defective. Can you follow the wiring from the exhaust flap and see where that leads to?
Old 09-24-2017, 06:44 PM

C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by kevjung
It's unfortunate that this is happening on your car! The "beeping" noise is the induction sound of the motor that controls the exhaust flaps. I'm not really sure where it might be located but it's quite possible that the controller that drives the the exhaust flap motor is defective. Can you follow the wiring from the exhaust flap and see where that leads to?
Yeah, I tried to trace the wiring back and I think it is controlled by motor directly above the butterfly valve. I imagine this will be covered under the warranty but a hastle nonetheless.

I guess the question now is, will it cause further issues if I drive it? Also, good bit of info here, it is always open, when the noise occurs it closes briefly then opens again. Thanks kevjung for your response.
Old 08-08-2020, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 C63s AMG and 2018 C43 AMG coupe
sorry to revive a dead thread, but my C63s had the exact same issue today, i am wondering if you had this resolved and how or do i have to bring this back to the dealer. thanks.