MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C450/C43 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-amg-216/)
-   -   Turbo problem at 10,000 miles (https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-amg/684236-turbo-problem-10-000-miles.html)

morehartd 10-01-2017 10:11 PM

Turbo problem at 10,000 miles

Hey guys, so recently just bought my 2017 c43. Loved, couldn't be anymore happy with it, well like everyone maybe I wanted a little more out of it. So I got in touch with the guys at AMR to have it tuned up. Very excitied about this so they strap my car to the Dyno an do base runs he's not impressed with the numbers, so we press forward with the tune, do pulls after an still wasn't impressed with numbers. He seems to think I'm not getting boost to my turbos an need to bring it back to the dealer. Giving me some suggestions. Anyone having problems with there turbos? Any other tips besides these.
1) hard reset of the ECU
2) Check intercooler piping as well as intercooler itself
3) Check electronic boost control solenoid (may be defective)
4) Vehicle did have a P0601A code stored in the ECU (resseting it did not fix the problem)
5) Check end tanks on intercooler core to ensure not leaking or separated from core
6) Check turbochargers themselves as well as wastegate actuators
Thanks for all input.

JGreen76 10-01-2017 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by morehartd (Post 7276377)
Hey guys, so recently just bought my 2017 c43. Loved, couldn't be anymore happy with it, well like everyone maybe I wanted a little more out of it. So I got in touch with the guys at AMR to have it tuned up. Very excitied about this so they strap my car to the Dyno an do base runs he's not impressed with the numbers, so we press forward with the tune, do pulls after an still wasn't impressed with numbers. He seems to think I'm not getting boost to my turbos an need to bring it back to the dealer. Giving me some suggestions. Anyone having problems with there turbos? Any other tips besides these.
1) hard reset of the ECU
4) Vehicle did have a P0601A code stored in the ECU (resseting it did not fix the problem)
5) Check end tanks on intercooler core to ensure not leaking or separated from core
Thanks for all input.

What are your baseline dyno numbers? I’m sure AMR would provide you before and after numbers.

sean1.8t 10-02-2017 12:33 AM

I forget, is there a way to check boost pressure within the ECU and pull logs of it? I'm guessing no as if there was, the AMR guys would have done this?

Blacked out E63 10-02-2017 09:58 AM

1) hard reset of the ECU
Thanks for all input.

Check the lower intercooler piping. It is hard to get to, you will have to remove all of the panels underneath, but definitely have a look.

The other thing, someone made a post about a faulty wastegate actuator a while back. I would check that too.

Honestly, to save time and money why not just take it back to the dealer?

getmercd 10-02-2017 12:31 PM

1) hard reset of the ECU
Thanks for all input.

You are not going to get much more accurate than that list of things you have to check. I would say just take it to the dealer. They can go through that list for you and save you the headache. I can tell you for sure that I would not even attempt to start taking my C43 apart lol let the dealer take on that task haha

shardul 10-02-2017 04:04 PM

You can get the boost reading via the OBD2 port with a generic scan tool. Look the MAP PID in the live data section.
If the reading is abnormally high you will have to subtract the atmospheric pressure value from the reading to get the boost reading.

Star4life 07-12-2018 02:18 PM

did you ever figure out what happened? I can hear my turbos very loud and its getting louder and i feel like the power is not all there. i am suspecting a leak or something along those lines.

i am stock currently.

munis 07-12-2018 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Star4life (Post 7500440)
did you ever figure out what happened? I can hear my turbos very loud and its getting louder and i feel like the power is not all there. i am suspecting a leak or something along those lines.

i am stock currently.

His problem had to do with the tune. Not similar to yours. Did you take the unit out? And it is still happening? Did you check all the pipes to and from the intercooler?

Star4life 07-12-2018 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by munis (Post 7500460)
His problem had to do with the tune. Not similar to yours. Did you take the unit out? And it is still happening? Did you check all the pipes to and from the intercooler?

it sounds like his problem was even before tune. my car is stock right now and sounds like it has boost leak and blow off valve lol.

i did not check anything. most likely will just take to dealer and have the hash it out as well as a few other things.

HTXgearhead 07-12-2018 03:29 PM

Or you can get the JB4, which will save you money, make more power, and show you live boost readouts.

munis 07-12-2018 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Star4life (Post 7500475)
it sounds like his problem was even before tune. my car is stock right now and sounds like it has boost leak and blow off valve lol.

i did not check anything. most likely will just take to dealer and have the hash it out as well as a few other things.

Yeah man. Let them sort it out. Car is still under warranty. Sounds like a boost leak to me.

munis 07-12-2018 03:52 PM

What an idiot, seriously!

munis 07-12-2018 03:57 PM

Your car is not going into any limp mode. So it is just a simple boost leak. And you already checked the piping didn't you? So it can be blow off valve.

It would be nice if idiots did not take all statements out of context.

munis 07-12-2018 04:13 PM

A single symptom can be explained by multiple issues. A soft limp is one of them. And it is diagnosed very easily by reading the data from the AMG screen. I know why you are here though. But sadly for you it is well beyond the point of repair. Back to tuning boxer engines.

munis 07-12-2018 04:15 PM

No one is stopping anyone from helping. I tried to help as well, until an idiot started referring to me first. Just sod off. And stop cutting half of my post to prove your point.

C43Ayemgee 07-12-2018 05:04 PM

I just don't understand why everyone tries to diagnose the problem or fix it themselves, You have warranty, take advantage of it. Everyone having mechanical issues resorts to the forums for help. The dealer will fix everything. Simple as that. It's better if the dealership logs your problems because then you might be able to settle for a lemon law, and get all your $ back.

munis 07-12-2018 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by C43Ayemgee (Post 7500546)
I just don't understand why everyone tries to diagnose the problem or fix it themselves, You have warranty, take advantage of it. Everyone having mechanical issues resorts to the forums for help. The dealer will fix everything. Simple as that. It's better if the dealership logs your problems because then you might be able to settle for a lemon law, and get all your $ back.

Agreed. Specially if you do not have an ECU tune. No problem taking it to the dealership. That is what warranty is for.

Star4life 07-13-2018 12:14 PM

its a hassle to go to dealer. just want to gauge if im replacing a turbo or a hose clamp. we dont have lemon law in michigan i dont think nor would it apply to me as i technically bought mine used with 300 miles on it. dont ask lol. the deal was insane someone lost big.

anyway, ill check the piping as it seems to be getting louder. if its too hard to find, ill drive over to dealer.

ShazV6 07-13-2018 12:45 PM

1) hard reset of the ECU
Thanks for all input.

LOL, since they had an issue with the stock numbers why would would they still proceed with adding the tune to the car? They first should of told you to go back to the dealer and have this checked out. Could of caused more damage to your engine.

OP i hope all is well with your car

agchenry 07-13-2018 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by ShazV6 (Post 7501012)
LOL, since they had an issue with the stock numbers why would would they still proceed with adding the tune to the car? They first should of told you to go back to the dealer and have this checked out. Could of caused more damage to your engine.

OP i hope all is well with your car

Not to mention they cracked open the ECU. Now MB might tell u “ Cars flagged for being tuned, no warranty turbo related”

Mr. J 07-13-2018 03:27 PM

1) hard reset of the ECU
Thanks for all input.

Are you saying that the car was underperforming while stock but you proceeded with the tune anyway?
If so this was a big mistake.

You should have sorted the issue with the stock settings under warranty before applying a tune. A tune isn't going to fix any issues with a vehicle. It's just has the potential to wring out more performance. If the baseline is below spec then there is less available power for any tune to exploit. Additionally, adding a tune to a vehicle that may have a mechanical issue is adding more stress to a malfunctioning system while also potentially making diagnosis of the underlying problem more difficult.

There is a good chance that MB will discover that your ECU has been flashed and will attempt to void your warranty and claim that any defect present is resulting from the tune. The water has just been effectively muddied.

I'm very surprised that a reputable tuner would recommend proceeding with the tune after verifying that the car's baseline is below factory spec. A good tuner would have asked you to sort the potential underlying issue with MB 1st and would have provided you the dino charts to support your case with MB service. Only after getting any issues corrected should they have recommended proceeding with the tune.

Good luck, you're going to need it.

sean1.8t 07-13-2018 10:39 PM

I just don't understand why everyone tries to diagnose the problem or fix it themselves.

^ This. One thousand times over, THIS!

And not only that, but this guy was at AMR (Though I've never been there nor do I completely understand how capable their employees/facilities are, one would assume they should be able to diagnose an issue as simple as low boost output in less than 15 minutes...but who knows, maybe not.

I am baffled at how many threads like these are created every week. Sure, a trip to the dealer for service isn't the most convenient or pleasant of experiences, warranty or not, so you should obviously take a quick look under the hood and see if you can see or hear anything out of place, as sometimes it can be a quick and easy fix. But why in the world do people come here looking for advice and help when their car is under full warranty?

sean1.8t 07-13-2018 10:43 PM

And one last thing - I know that this thread was from way back and all, but this still applies. WHAT THE HELL WAS AMR THINKING? They had a car which was obviously underperforming due to a completely unknown issue, and instead of advising the owner to immediately take it to the dealer for service, they thought it was a good idea to flash the ECU and hope that would fix it? Seriously?? The owner should have known that was a stupid idea, but AMR DEFINITELY should have known better. That is some questionable practices, right there!

EDIT: I finished reading through the rest of the replies and looks like others noticed this already :y

C43Ayemgee 07-13-2018 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by sean1.8t (Post 7501356)
^ This. One thousand times over, THIS!

And not only that, but this guy was at AMR (Though I've never been there nor do I completely understand how capable their employees/facilities are, one would assume they should be able to diagnose an issue as simple as low boost output in less than 15 minutes...but who knows, maybe not.

I am baffled at how many threads like these are created every week. Sure, a trip to the dealer for service isn't the most convenient or pleasant of experiences, warranty or not, so you should obviously take a quick look under the hood and see if you can see or hear anything out of place, as sometimes it can be a quick and easy fix. But why in the world do people come here looking for advice and help when their car is under full warranty?

Exactly! I'm baffled to how many people come on here with an issue well beyond the forums knowledge. This isn't an s2000 forum, Take your high-end complicated German machine to the dealer! Even if people get the answer to which will solve their problem, They still gotta go to the dealer LOL!

netboy 07-16-2018 05:28 AM

maybe it's the old people / senior people ways of thinking.
my dad said this to me, the more you fix the car, the more problems you going to get.
what? i under warranty, i can fix the problems now for free, of pay to fix it when warranty expired.