Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This needs to be answered now

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 06:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204
Hi, do you have video that we can see please?
i have my c43 with standard exhaust, also feeling something is missing! I would like to see how to make the car sound nicer!

Originally Posted by JR1330
I got my car in June without PE. I ended up regretting after few days.
The car was new and drove good but you knew something was missing and it was the PE to make it more special and engaging. I craved for the pop and crackles.
Then someone was driving with a PE while I was at a gas station and it made me so jealous. I ended up getting the AWE Touring.
I’ve had the AWE Touring for awhile now it does sound better. The upshifts and downshifts sounds good but I don’t get crackles in Sport or Sport + either auto or manual all the time.
I get them but not always almost to the point of them being very rare. When I do get them I cry of joy lol

Checking out the dealer menu in command my exhaust is configured standard so maybe cars with PE will say sport or performance…
hopefully tuning company can release a tune that mimics PE or I can get someone from service to change the parameter on my exhaust hehe…
Old 02-13-2018, 10:59 PM

2006 S430
Alright so finally drove one with and without PE so for anyone who wants to know: you still get the burbles and pops on sport plus letting go of throttle and whatnot but what is different is the noise it makes shifting the non PE does the German dsg fart noise but the PE makes a super harsh CRACK like a whip shifting. I wonder if that's just the result of a less restrictive exhaust or if it's ECU progrmming.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:50 AM

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
Most of the sounds are purely ECU.

I have the module that allows me to keep the exhaust valves open 100% of the time, but the car sounds totally different depending on whether or not the exhaust button on the dash is on. As the valves are open whether that button is on or not, one can only assume having it on also makes the ECU act differently.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 132 Likes on 116 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
Lol oh geez! Why does this seem to get brought up every week and then get answered 19 different ways?

Snaps, crackles, and pops from an exhaust are always a result of what is happening in the cylinders (which is controlled by the ECU), so an exhaust, or lack thereof, will never create these. Now there is a possibility where the motor is creating these sounds but the exhaust is muting them but you would need a VERY restrictive exhaust to accomplish this and the standard c43 exhaust is not what anyone would consider as being 'restrictive.'

So to sum up:

Mufflers/resonators/cats will control the volume of the "Pops," but they do not create them. The engine (ECU) is what creates them.

The 450 & 43 have the "pops" but the 400 does not. All the PE does is make them louder.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:06 AM

2006 S430
Originally Posted by sean1.8t
Lol oh geez! Why does this seem to get brought up every week and then get answered 19 different ways?

Snaps, crackles, and pops from an exhaust are always a result of what is happening in the cylinders (which is controlled by the ECU), so an exhaust, or lack thereof, will never create these. Now there is a possibility where the motor is creating these sounds but the exhaust is muting them but you would need a VERY restrictive exhaust to accomplish this and the standard c43 exhaust is not what anyone would consider as being 'restrictive.'

So to sum up:

Mufflers/resonators/cats will control the volume of the "Pops," but they do not create them. The engine (ECU) is what creates them.

The 450 & 43 have the "pops" but the 400 does not. All the PE does is make them louder.
Hahahahahaha the reason why I named it this needs to be answered now is so that this thread is the end of all discussion and provides the final solid answer
Old 02-14-2018, 01:09 AM

2006 S430
The only thing I'm confused about is not the pops rather it's the upshifting explosion on the PE Idk if for example an awe exhaust would have that same noise or if there is a slight difference in the ecu that creates a louder pop, I guess only time will tell
Old 02-14-2018, 05:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 681 Likes on 536 Posts
c
Originally Posted by Alexd3498
The only thing I'm confused about is not the pops rather it's the upshifting explosion on the PE Idk if for example an awe exhaust would have that same noise or if there is a slight difference in the ecu that creates a louder pop, I guess only time will tell
c450/c43 without PE is not a true dual exhaust system. And has 3 total mufflers (1 resonator and 2 mufflers out back). Which does not make loud upshift bangs.

AWE Touring which is a true dual exhaust system has 3 mufflers (1 resonator and 2 mufflers out back) and does not make loud upshift bangs.

AWE Track is a true dual exhaust system with only 1 center resonator and does make loud upshift bangs.

C43 w/ PE is a true dual exhaust system with 3 total mufflers (1 resonator and 2 mufflers out back) and makes loud upshift bangs. When the valves are open it basically bypasses the rear mufflers.

So, to achieve loud upshift bang you have to 1. have a true dual exhaust and 2. remove the rear mufflers. IMO
Old 10-17-2019, 04:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C450
Originally Posted by cenzo86
The pops and crackles are result of the ECU on the c450 and c43. The c400 was not programmed in this same way and is not capable of making these noises. The car is designed to produce controlled backfires on overrun, and braps on hard upshifts while in S+. It should be noted that both the ECU and transmission learn from your driving style, and you crackles will vary from car to car. Some have noticed the sounds disappeared after making performance mods to the car. Others, including myself, have had the sounds disappear entirely, requiring a trip to the dealer for a re flash. These noises are NOT the result of the exhaust.
The standard SPORT exhaust is a 2 to 1 to 2 setup with a mid mounted resonator and 2 mufflers out back.
The optional PERFORMANCE exhaust is a true dual exhaust almost identical in design to the C63 performance exhaust. I ditches the resonator for a crossover pipe (H pipe) with a flap, and a pair of mufflers out back, each with a bypass valve. With the valves opened, the exhaust is similar to a straight pipe setup (like my AWE Track exhaust) where volume is increased, and low end drone happens because of the limited back pressure.
There it is.
All of it.
And all available from MBUSA.com

Hello I'm currently having the same issue where my backfires are almost muted or very faint.. I just had an update a week ago but the dealers claiming that shouldn't have done anything to the sound of the car. I've noticed early gear changes around 2000-2400rpm instead of the 3k it was pushing regularly before and again just almost muted or almost not there backfires.. curious what you had done at the dealer to fix this problem. Any info helps thank
Old 10-17-2019, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
C190
Originally Posted by alexasa
c450/c43 without PE is not a true dual exhaust system. And has 3 total mufflers (1 resonator and 2 mufflers out back). Which does not make loud upshift bangs.

AWE Touring which is a true dual exhaust system has 3 mufflers (1 resonator and 2 mufflers out back) and does not make loud upshift bangs.

AWE Track is a true dual exhaust system with only 1 center resonator and does make loud upshift bangs.

C43 w/ PE is a true dual exhaust system with 3 total mufflers (1 resonator and 2 mufflers out back) and makes loud upshift bangs. When the valves are open it basically bypasses the rear mufflers.

So, to achieve loud upshift bang you have to 1. have a true dual exhaust and 2. remove the rear mufflers. IMO
My 2019 C43 no PE has 4 mufflers in total and all it does are upshift bags and nothing else. Irritates the hell out of me. They should have programmed out the upshift bangs in my opinion for non PE exhaust. If I can find a way to tune out the bangs, I’d be very happy.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 681 Likes on 536 Posts
c
Originally Posted by TModelle
My 2019 C43 no PE has 4 mufflers in total and all it does are upshift bags and nothing else. Irritates the hell out of me. They should have programmed out the upshift bangs in my opinion for non PE exhaust. If I can find a way to tune out the bangs, I’d be very happy.
yeah that post is old and made prior to the facelift ever being released.

upshift snarls and some bangs are prevalent w/o PE in the facelift.