Bad Experience with Weistec Engineering

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 11:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
C450 AMG,, JAAAAG XF 5.0
Bad Experience with Weistec Engineering

Hello Folks,,

As the title says. I have had bad experience with Weistec and thought I would share for the benefit. Recently I ordered downpipes for my C450 from them. I was on the phone with a guy named (Moe) and I called to find out the availability of the downpipes and few other questions about them. I was assured that the downpipes were in stock and ready to ship because I needed the part ASAP. After the phone call I placed the order online and not over the phone because I wanted to use PayPal (This becomes mandatory for me now will that has happened in the past with purchases) and opted for the fastest shipping they had (around $110) shipped to my home. Two days later and the order has not shipped mind you!! I gave Weistec a call and I was told that there has been a mistake and that the downpipes are not currently in stock and they are being made to order. How does this happen? I called and the guy named (Moe) put me on hold until he confirmed that he had them in stock.

I notified Weistec That I will no longer need the part because if that's the case then I would've have not ordered it and opted for an extra $100+ just to get it next day. I was told that a refund will be issued immediately . One week later and nothing, So I gave them a call and asked about the refund, I was told that the refund has been sent to there accountant and it should be processed within the next 2-3 days. Another Week later and still nothing so I called back and inquired once again, this time there was more run around and I was told that the refund request has been processed and it will be back in my Paypal within 5-7 business days. Fast forward again a week later and nothing shows up. I called the fourth time and with a sharper tone I demanded an explanation to why it has been more than three weeks and I still have not received my money back, also worth to mention every time I call I get placed on hold for 15+ minutes until someone gets back to me. The last phone call lasted 26 minutes until (Moe) himself picked up the phone and told me that they issued a refund. I told them that this time I don't believe them no more and I demand a transaction number or some sort of proof before I hang up, Moe tells me to hang on for few moments and then 20 minutes later he comes back with a transaction number (Meaning Weistec has actually just that moment issued a refund after the 20 minutes wait on the phone) I believe had I called them the fourth time and not asked for a proof of a refund it would have been another week of wait with no refund.

This is my story with Weistec and I thought it is worth sharing. Members PLEASE always be careful. Ask in advance if your part is in stock and ALWAYS ALWAYS use PayPal to guarantee your money because had they not given me a transaction number I would have filed a claim with Paypal.

Best Of luck for everyone
Old 01-08-2018, 11:51 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by crocoss
Hello Folks,,

As the title says. I have had bad experience with Weistec and thought I would share for the benefit. Recently I ordered downpipes for my C450 from them. I was on the phone with a guy named (Moe) and I called to find out the availability of the downpipes and few other questions about them. I was assured that the downpipes were in stock and ready to ship because I needed the part ASAP. After the phone call I placed the order online and not over the phone because I wanted to use PayPal (This becomes mandatory for me now will that has happened in the past with purchases) and opted for the fastest shipping they had (around $110) shipped to my home. Two days later and the order has not shipped mind you!! I gave Weistec a call and I was told that there has been a mistake and that the downpipes are not currently in stock and they are being made to order. How does this happen? I called and the guy named (Moe) put me on hold until he confirmed that he had them in stock.

I notified Weistec That I will no longer need the part because if that's the case then I would've have not ordered it and opted for an extra $100+ just to get it next day. I was told that a refund will be issued immediately . One week later and nothing, So I gave them a call and asked about the refund, I was told that the refund has been sent to there accountant and it should be processed within the next 2-3 days. Another Week later and still nothing so I called back and inquired once again, this time there was more run around and I was told that the refund request has been processed and it will be back in my Paypal within 5-7 business days. Fast forward again a week later and nothing shows up. I called the fourth time and with a sharper tone I demanded an explanation to why it has been more than three weeks and I still have not received my money back, also worth to mention every time I call I get placed on hold for 15+ minutes until someone gets back to me. The last phone call lasted 26 minutes until (Moe) himself picked up the phone and told me that they issued a refund. I told them that this time I don't believe them no more and I demand a transaction number or some sort of proof before I hang up, Moe tells me to hang on for few moments and then 20 minutes later he comes back with a transaction number (Meaning Weistec has actually just that moment issued a refund after the 20 minutes wait on the phone) I believe had I called them the fourth time and not asked for a proof of a refund it would have been another week of wait with no refund.

This is my story with Weistec and I thought it is worth sharing. Members PLEASE always be careful. Ask in advance if your part is in stock and ALWAYS ALWAYS use PayPal to guarantee your money because had they not given me a transaction number I would have filed a claim with Paypal.

Damn, sorry to hear. Weistec does make quality parts and the DPs for our cars have been praised. Why did you want a refund rather then just waiting for the part to come in?
Old 01-09-2018, 12:00 AM

C450 AMG,, JAAAAG XF 5.0
Originally Posted by SkitsversuS
Damn, sorry to hear. Weistec does make quality parts and the DPs for our cars have been praised. Why did you want a refund rather then just waiting for the part to come in?

I had an installation appointment for the downpipes at a professional shop (hardly got the appointment with them) and didn't want to miss it. Also the next day from the installation appointment I had an appointment at another shop for tuning. So I would have cancelled two appointments for their delay and having to reschedule for everything. So getting the part after few weeks when I payed $100+ for shipping to get it the next day didn't seem right to me.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:17 AM

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts
GLC43, X P100D, S P100D, CT200H
My own experience with the aftermarket itself has overall been awful.

Your experience is not even uncommon. It very much mirrors my own experience, not with Weistech however, since I have never bought any of their items.

On my C32 back in 2003, I had H&R Coilovers, Brabus Front and Rear swaybars and an EVOSPORT (remember them?) SL55 intake mod.

- H&R Coilovers: Both Rear Shocks Went soft very early. Beyond prematurely. After about 3-4 months. I contacted the shop I bought them from and they sent me an RMA number. I send in both rear shocks, only to receive the exact same set of rear shocks (the same pair that I sent in) in the same condition that they were in when I sent them to H&R. No replacement or repair was done. All they told me was, they are within spec. They were softer than the stock shocks, by the account of 3 different shops including the shop I bought it from. Will never buy H&R again. Ever. The coil overs cost me 800USD but all the shipping and labor and driving back and forth from dealing with the whole fiasco cost me well over 1000USD, and this was when I was still in college. Basically I paid $1000 to install $800 coilovers to make my car handle like a boat.

- Brabus Front and Rear Sway Bars: Ordered from Brabus in Irvine California, from a sales named Andreas. I told him I need a set of sway bars for the 2003 C32 AMG. They sold me sway bars. But they were not for the C32. Apparently Brabus did not make C32 specific Sway Bars, and Andreas did not think to aware me of this fact. I only found out when the shop told me that they would have to drill the sway bars to enlarge the holes in order for the larger C32 bolts to fit. I told the shop "Ok Fine", since Brabus had already refused to refund me for THEIR OWN ERROR. The shop proceeded to drill, but were successfully since the sway bars were so thick they broke the drill bit. Shop graciously did not charge me for the drill bit (since I bought so many tires from them), but said if I wanted to install, they would need to buy a specific drillbit and I would have to pay for it since I would be the only person needing it. I said ok, but eventually/coincidentally, a W209 CLK55 was in my exact situation and the shop had him go in half with me on the drillbit so we could both install our swaybars. Sway bars eventually got installed and it was awful. Since the fitment of the bolts were not perfect, the swaybars had excessive movement and the swaybar bushings would come loose every few weeks. This would result in a loud loud loud terrifying knock everytime I drove over any sort of bump in the road. House of Imports and Fletcher Jones Mercedes very very graciously tried to help me fix the problem several times by replacing the bushings even though they clearly were not stock sway bars and my suspension related warranty should have been voided. Eventually I just got rid of the car. Seriously, this knock was so loud it scared the SHT out of me the first time I heard it. My mechanic described it as similar to a shotgun firing.

-SL55 Intake Mod from Evosport: I forgot the exact price, but basically over the phone they told me it cost X Dollars. When I arrived to buy it in person, it cost 2X Dollars. Then the same guy that told me how much it was over the phone said he didnt say that and proceeded to charge me 2X Dollars.

- BMS JB1: Strangely my best experience with the aftermarket has been when I had the least amount of interaction with the vendor. So far so good. Due to my past experiences with the C32, it took alot of courage for me to even try the BMS JB1, which is completely removable and not even a full remap lmao.

EDIT: Ok just for shts and giggles, I decided to google "Andreas Brabus Irvine" and apparently this clown is still with Brabus in Irvine. Andreas, if you are reading this, you ruined my C32.
http://www.germantuningcorporation.com/contact/

Last edited by waisoserious; 01-09-2018 at 01:31 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:08 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 292 Likes on 241 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
We can always get a set made for you. Price is $650 takes about 4 days to complete
Old 01-09-2018, 06:45 PM

Received 132 Likes on 112 Posts
2018 C43 AMG Brilliant Blue Metallic
It makes me wonder why companies plays games with a customer now a days. We all have the power of social media and forums to voice out displeasure with a certain company.

Now because they dicked this guy around for weeks we will all be hesitant in dealing with them who will ultimately cost them money.
The following users liked this post:
alamoudis2 (01-10-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 08:47 PM

C450 AMG,, JAAAAG XF 5.0
Originally Posted by shardul
We can always get a set made for you. Price is $650 takes about 4 days to complete
I appreciate it. However I already managed to get a set of downpipes. Non the less thank you.
shardul (01-10-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 08:49 PM

C450 AMG,, JAAAAG XF 5.0
Originally Posted by Dieseldan9
It makes me wonder why companies plays games with a customer now a days. We all have the power of social media and forums to voice out displeasure with a certain company.

Now because they dicked this guy around for weeks we will all be hesitant in dealing with them who will ultimately cost them money.

I am not trying to badmouth anyone trust me. I simply wanted to share an experience. They eventually returned my money after a long hassle which no customer should ever go through!!
Old 01-10-2018, 11:54 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
C450 AMG
Note to self: Never buy aftermarket anything.
munis (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Things escalate really quick when you ask a tuner for a refund. Ever want to see what is the customer service of a company made out of ? Ask them for a refund and see the sweet voice you experienced before your purchased the said good/ service change really quick. I had a similar experience with AMR. I would be doing a full write up on that really soon.

Paying with paypal was a really good idea on your part, atleast there is a chance you will see the money again. I should have known better.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w205 c450
Originally Posted by crocoss
Hello Folks,,

I'm having the same issue with Racechip, I ordered a racechip in their webside a month ago and they hadn't on stock, now I haven't recieved even the shipping confirmation now I asked for a refund
Old 01-18-2018, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 115 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
Man, that sucks. Getting jerked around like that infuriates me like crazy!

I can't say that I've seen much negative feedback on Weistec (And I specifically researched them before getting my DPs from them) and I had a really smooth transaction with them. I even talked them into giving me a decent discount on them as I was going to be posting about them on here (they were a new item for our cars over a year ago) and had free shipping which didn't take very long... Still though, pretty inexcusable that they took so long to refund your money. Stuff happens like a miscommunication on inventory and what not but a refund? That shouldn't have been an issue, especially after they had already messed up.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 ml63
Originally Posted by munis
Things escalate really quick when you ask a tuner for a refund. Ever want to see what is the customer service of a company made out of ? Ask them for a refund and see the sweet voice you experienced before your purchased the said good/ service change really quick. I had a similar experience with AMR. I would be doing a full write up on that really soon.

Paying with paypal was a really good idea on your part, atleast there is a chance you will see the money again. I should have known better.
How is paypal any better than using your debit/credit card? Its much worse. Debit /credit cards you would be getting your money back within 24hrs. Good luck with crappy paypal.
I agree it was not right to call so many times to get a refund. But I would say its really not smart to schedule installations and tuning on parts you done even have yet.
Strigoi (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by tomabram13
How is paypal any better than using your debit/credit card? Its much worse. Debit /credit cards you would be getting your money back within 24hrs. Good luck with crappy paypal.
I agree it was not right to call so many times to get a refund. But I would say its really not smart to schedule installations and tuning on parts you done even have yet.
Paypal is better because if an agreement is not reached between the 2 parties, the buyer (usually the buyer) will be forced to reverse payment. When this process is initiated the sellers paypal account is frozen until the dispute is arbitrated or settled (buyer canceling his reversal). Paypal arbitrating the dispute could take months. Weeks at minimum. During this process the seller cannot receive money with his paypal which obviously hurts his account and gives him extra incentive not to **** off the already agitated buyer.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c-fo-fiddy
But I would say its really not smart to schedule installations and tuning on parts you done even have yet.
If a person was to schedule an appointment to install a part before purchasing or inquiring about the part in any way, then yes, that would be idiotic. It would also remove ones right to to be dissatisfied in the event of having to forfeit the appointment/money due to lack of said part. Just about anyone can follow that logic, I'm sure. But from what I understand, the OP had not scheduled his appointment until after he confirmed arrangements to have the downpipes on a certain day.

and in dealing with passion projects like car modifications, it's not only common to make such arrangements to get things like this done asap, but most will make the appointment for the same day that the part comes in. Hell just recently I did it with the part being my whole car haha. The dealer told me the car was getting in on Friday by noon, and I wouldn't take any dealer's word by any means, but I asked: "Is that your guarantee, or is it the trucking companies guarantee?" Confirmed it was the transport co's promise and then I called the tint shop and made took their latest possible appointment for 5:30. Everything was reasonable and everything worked out as it should have.

Things happen from time to time, but if you say something, it should be because you mean it. Triple that if you are a business.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:21 AM

2015 ml63
Originally Posted by waisoserious
Paypal is better because if an agreement is not reached between the 2 parties, the buyer (usually the buyer) will be forced to reverse payment. When this process is initiated the sellers paypal account is frozen until the dispute is arbitrated or settled (buyer canceling his reversal). Paypal arbitrating the dispute could take months. Weeks at minimum. During this process the seller cannot receive money with his paypal which obviously hurts his account and gives him extra incentive not to **** off the already agitated buyer.
You just explained why paypal is worse. During that time when the dispute takes place, weeks to months as you say, your money is NOT returned. Thats right. Paypal does not return your money until AFTER they render a decision. A debit or credit card on the other hand, get your money on 24hrs. Paypal is a big no no.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:26 AM

2015 ml63
Originally Posted by sean1.8t
If a person was to schedule an appointment to install a part before purchasing or inquiring about the part in any way, then yes, that would be idiotic. It would also remove ones right to to be dissatisfied in the event of having to forfeit the appointment/money due to lack of said part. Just about anyone can follow that logic, I'm sure. But from what I understand, the OP had not scheduled his appointment until after he confirmed arrangements to have the downpipes on a certain day.

and in dealing with passion projects like car modifications, it's not only common to make such arrangements to get things like this done asap, but most will make the appointment for the same day that the part comes in. Hell just recently I did it with the part being my whole car haha. The dealer told me the car was getting in on Friday by noon, and I wouldn't take any dealer's word by any means, but I asked: "Is that your guarantee, or is it the trucking companies guarantee?" Confirmed it was the transport co's promise and then I called the tint shop and made took their latest possible appointment for 5:30. Everything was reasonable and everything worked out as it should have.

Things happen from time to time, but if you say something, it should be because you mean it. Triple that if you are a business.
Still does not matter. Things happen. I have been in this game prob longer than most of you. Sometimes parts are not available even when the manufacture or reseller "thinks" they are. This is not uncommon. So its not smart to schedule before receiving the parts. Also because he didnt get the part the next day now all of a sudden he dosent want the part? I wonder why that is? There is always more to the story than people tell. Remember that.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:48 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
'17 C43 Coupe
Still does not matter. Things happen. I have been in this game prob longer than most of you. Sometimes parts are not available even when the manufacture or reseller "thinks" they are. This is not uncommon. So its not smart to schedule before receiving the parts. Also because he didnt get the part the next day now all of a sudden he dosent want the part? I wonder why that is? There is always more to the story than people tell. Remember that.
I wouldn't want the part either if the company couldn't meet something as simple as a shipping timeline, especially when OP specifically stated that he had already made arrangements to get it installed. If there are problems this early on, I can't imagine the process for getting something fixed down the road if anything goes wrong; and from what it sounds like, based on their customer support and refund process alone, it looks like he dodged a bullet. Just my opinion.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:10 PM

2015 ml63
Originally Posted by aggies15
I wouldn't want the part either if the company couldn't meet something as simple as a shipping timeline, especially when OP specifically stated that he had already made arrangements to get it installed. If there are problems this early on, I can't imagine the process for getting something fixed down the road if anything goes wrong; and from what it sounds like, based on their customer support and refund process alone, it looks like he dodged a bullet. Just my opinion.
Ok let me get this straight. I will go with a part from vendor B that I rather not have because vendor A, the part I really want will take a week to make? Just because im in a rush? And like I said, its not smart scheduling installs and tuning way before you even have the parts. I understand most people here are quick to bash a vendor then spread it around the internet. From my experience with Weistec, over 5 years now, I had nothing but great products and service. Customer service and support always have been very good. Never have a problem. In business you cant make every single person happy. Some people you just cant please and 99% of the time there is alot more to the story then that is told on the forum. Thats why there isnt a single vendor in existence that you cant find a negative review about.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c-fo-fiddy
As a business owner, I will tell you that regardless of how long a person has been "in the game," to operate a successful business, you must deliver what you promise, when you promise it. Otherwise you will have a reputation of running a dishonest company. Which is basically going to make or break your success, and this is especially so on the internet.

Yes, we agree that things do happen, but you're ignoring an important factor here: They didn't have to make the claim that they did, but that does not change the fact that they didn't deliver on their claim and that they lacked the customer service to correct this. Just this morning I had to contact a customer to inform them I would not be able to deliver the item when we estimated as we are out of stock, but I contacted the customer the moment I knew and was able to easily work out a solution. See, I know the importance of customer service. Not only for the sake of my reputation, but happy customers are patient and understanding customers.

I think of it as if I am the buyer. If I purchase something and later that day, the company contacts me with a polite apology and offers a fair solution, if I know that they are doing the best that they can, offer a fair solution, and generally just care? Then I will wait days or even weeks with a smile on my face.... But if they don't deliver when was agreed, and I have to contact them only to get an insincere apologies and can see that they are not trying their best, then I don't want their product no matter if it's only 1 day late. It becomes about principle at that point rather than product. And I believe this is what happened to OP here.

TL;DR - Don't make a promise you can't keep. But if you still have to break that promise, do whatever it takes to make the customer satisfied.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:13 PM

2015 ml63
Originally Posted by sean1.8t
As a business owner, I will tell you that regardless of how long a person has been "in the game," to operate a successful business, you must deliver what you promise, when you promise it. Otherwise you will have a reputation of running a dishonest company. Which is basically going to make or break your success, and this is especially so on the internet.

Yes, we agree that things do happen, but you're ignoring an important factor here: They didn't have to make the claim that they did, but that does not change the fact that they didn't deliver on their claim and that they lacked the customer service to correct this. Just this morning I had to contact a customer to inform them I would not be able to deliver the item when we estimated as we are out of stock, but I contacted the customer the moment I knew and was able to easily work out a solution. See, I know the importance of customer service. Not only for the sake of my reputation, but happy customers are patient and understanding customers.

I think of it as if I am the buyer. If I purchase something and later that day, the company contacts me with a polite apology and offers a fair solution, if I know that they are doing the best that they can, offer a fair solution, and generally just care? Then I will wait days or even weeks with a smile on my face.... But if they don't deliver when was agreed, and I have to contact them only to get an insincere apologies and can see that they are not trying their best, then I don't want their product no matter if it's only 1 day late. It becomes about principle at that point rather than product. And I believe this is what happened to OP here.

TL;DR - Don't make a promise you can't keep. But if you still have to break that promise, do whatever it takes to make the customer satisfied.
Well since you ignored my comment then I will reply anyway. If you would of read that I did agree that it was not right for the vendor to not issue a refund right away. But do you really know they vendor said the item was in stock? No you dont. But even if he did say that and it happened the part was not in stock then ok fine. This happens all the time. And with me saying I have been in the game a long time im referring to the dozens of times I have delt with vendors and I had to wait for parts when I shouldnt have. So does that make the vendor bad? Absolutely not. When you run a business with many deadlines things are not always perfect. But I am surely not going to cancel my order on a custom part that I want because I have to wait a week. And the vendor does care. They have many many happy customers. Not everyone that uses these vendors are on this forum, or on any forum for that matter.
If you want to talk about being in the business game then let me go there. In 27 years I have made promises on deadlines to my clients that I found out later I could not meet. So what happens? I simply tell them I need more time. So they wait. This does not mean clients are unhappy. Price, speed, quality, pick 2. Cant have all 3.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:50 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
'17 C43 Coupe
Well since you ignored my comment then I will reply anyway. If you would of read that I did agree that it was not right for the vendor to not issue a refund right away. But do you really know they vendor said the item was in stock? No you dont. But even if he did say that and it happened the part was not in stock then ok fine. This happens all the time. And with me saying I have been in the game a long time im referring to the dozens of times I have delt with vendors and I had to wait for parts when I shouldnt have. So does that make the vendor bad? Absolutely not. When you run a business with many deadlines things are not always perfect. But I am surely not going to cancel my order on a custom part that I want because I have to wait a week. And the vendor does care. They have many many happy customers. Not everyone that uses these vendors are on this forum, or on any forum for that matter.
If you want to talk about being in the business game then let me go there. In 27 years I have made promises on deadlines to my clients that I found out later I could not meet. So what happens? I simply tell them I need more time. So they wait. This does not mean clients are unhappy. Price, speed, quality, pick 2. Cant have all 3.
The issue is also that the company did not follow-up with the customer(from what we know) and inform them that it would be delayed. It took the customer calling in and checking the status of it 2 days later for them to realize that the item was out of stock. That's unacceptable. I get that things happen and deadlines aren't always able to be met, but the responsibility falls onto the vendor for handling the delay correctly.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:47 PM

2015 ml63
Originally Posted by aggies15
The issue is also that the company did not follow-up with the customer(from what we know) and inform them that it would be delayed. It took the customer calling in and checking the status of it 2 days later for them to realize that the item was out of stock. That's unacceptable. I get that things happen and deadlines aren't always able to be met, but the responsibility falls onto the vendor for handling the delay correctly.
Thats just my point. "from what we know". You have no clue if any of this is true or not. So by bashing a vendor out of pure speculation is whats unacceptable. You will have 20 more monkeys bashing when they dont have have a clue. Do you know how many times I have seen crap like this and then the vendor chimes in and tells the "true" story? More than I can count. Then magically the OP disappears with no response. Not hard after that to figure out the truth. Also you can NOT rate a vendor solely on 1 or 2 bad comments. Thats just ridiculous and very ignorant. With that being said I end this convo with this, unless you had dealings with said vendor, you have no right to bash them.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:42 PM
Former Member

Received 94 Likes on 89 Posts
CLS
Stronger letter to follow...
Old 01-24-2018, 07:49 PM

You know whats not smart? Telling somebody you have something when its not in stock and it takes 1-2 weeks to get the item when they already told you they need it tomorrow and still making them pay for next day delivery.
crocoss (01-27-2018)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bad Experience with Weistec Engineering