Horrible C450 lease finally coming to an end

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 08:42 PM
SV-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anything SV
Horrible C450 lease finally coming to an end

Never thought I'd be saying this but it's been a nightmare. TLDR below.

First, tire bubbles
Tires are 19" P Zeros RF. Leased the car in May 2016, have had 6 tire bubbles in 2 summers (30000km total, we change for 18" winter non-RF tires during winter, never had a problem with these). Two of the bubbles were my wife's fault (bad roads here). However 4 bubbles mysteriously appeared after normal driving. Commute is 85% highway.
What's even more baffling is our previous F30 had the same exact tires, same size, driving the same exact commute everyday, and had 1 bubble in 3 years, due to an obvious pothole (40000km total on the tires).
After reading and watching reviews, I realize the suspension on this car is way too harsh, which makes sense because we also got plastic rattling and squeaking after only 50000 km on this car... unacceptable for a mostly highway commute in a 60k car.
Even the dealership admitted they had big problems with the 19" tires. I think the solution is : soften the suspension in "normal" driving mode and get rid of that poison called Run Flat.

Then, 8 weeks in service
Long story short, car spent 8 weeks in and out of service (2 weeks in and out, then 6 consecutive weeks) for a check engine light that wouldn't go (and exhaust crackling disappeared). It turned out to be a wire harness (the one next to the air intake). Cost of repairs : 4000 CAD, not covered under warranty because they said it was probably caused by a rodent... HAHA YEAH. Over my dead body, I'm not paying anything. Escalated this and ended up "magically" covered by corporate. Of course we drove a loaner for 2 months while paying big money for a C450, and corporate wouldn't compensate for that (2 years lease + 30k km per year = expensive monthly payments = lots of money thrown out the window).

And finally, a cracked rim
Started losing pressure from a tire a couple months ago, so I took it to my local garage to switch for winter rims and they found a crack in the rim. I heard stories of people cracking and bending rims in potholes, but never in normal driving (did I mention 85% Highway commute?). Again, driving has nothing to do with this. I'm convinced it's a combination of stiff suspension and stiff tires. Dealer doesn't know about the cracked rim and I'm returning the car with it... the crack is on the inside and is barely visible. The air leak is too slow to be detected.

TLDR : After 6 tire bubbles, 8 weeks in service and a cracked rim, wife test drove many cars and wants a C43... again. I'm trying to talk her out of it.. My compromise is 18" rims or switching the tires for non-RF when we get the car... however that's a waste of money for a 2 year lease IMO.

Has anybody had such a bad experience? Dealership assures the C43 is a completely different car (can't give explanations when I ask "How?") and wants to work out a deal for me.

Last edited by SV-; 01-18-2018 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:15 PM
Former Member

Received 94 Likes on 89 Posts
CLS
My c450 has been wonderful.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:06 PM
Former Member

CLS
Was yours a German or U.S. build? Mine came from Bama in October 2015. The transmission required reprogramming, and the car has otherwise been great.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:16 PM
SV-

Anything SV
I don't know, and I actually think it doesn't matter. I'm pretty certain this whole production country thing is false and MB uses the same manufacturing processes, robots, calibration and whatnot in both countries... Unless we have an insider on the forums who can testify.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:17 PM
Former Member

CLS
I agree but I’d still like to know. Look inside your front door.

i had a South African c300 sport and loved it.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 158 Posts
2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
Sounds like a wrong car was purchased at the first place. These cars are stiff, because they are somewhat sport cars. C43 is indeed better than the C450 and if you want to get another C43 I’d wait for MY2019 instead of MY2018.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:44 PM

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
2016 c450 / 2016 VW Jetta 1.8t / 2006 Wrangler X
What's in the running for your replacement? The c43 didn't change the suspension or tires so you should probably forget it.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 115 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
Why would it be a waste? Actually, it would be perfect for a 2 year lease over the 3. As I always suggest to everyone when the topic comes up that they shouldn't put more than 2-3k miles on the OE run-flats as they are crap (but I don't need to tell you) and you need to have them for lease turn in. So rather than running crap tires and then having to buy more for turning the car in, you put the original R-F's in the garage and run good quality standard tires and enjoy the car to it's full potential.

And getting 36k out of most performance tires is a stretch most often but can workout with a few k on the OE tires. But a 24k lease would be perfect as you'd almost always get that many miles out of standard tires. Whereas most everyone I've come across personally and on here, have replaced their OE tires at 10k miles or less. Which is ridiculous! And then you add in the inflated price they cost you and it's doubly ridiculous....Also, I hated the ride comfort at first. Well, most of the time it was good but little pot holes or man-hole covers were insanely jarring and I was really surprised by this. But it's not the suspension, it's the tires. Once I put normal tires on, there was no more 'jarring' on little bumps. Still a firm (well handling) ride, but smooth and perfectly comfortable.

I understand this situation has pissed you off but you need to look at it from your wife's unbiased POV (as I'm sure she hasn't been dealing with the headache of all this, she just enjoys the car when it's drivable). She understands that the car is just about the best you can get in it's segment/price, but you're letting a frustrating tire situation taint the car..

TL;DR - Put some Pilot Sport 4s on a new c43 and you & your wife will be fighting over the car

Last edited by sean1.8t; 01-19-2018 at 02:29 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Sorry to hear you had bad luck with your C450.

I've had good luck with my C450 (knock on wood). Aside from door handle LEDs burning out, the roof rack tabs fading in the sun (replaced, but are now faded again), and some minor interior creaking, my C450 has been a pretty good car. Even the rough rifting transmission got smoother after 10,000 miles.

As for wheels & tires, yes the run-flat tires suck hard. I run two sets of stock AMG wheels/tires...18" in the Winter and 19" in the Summer, and so far everything has been good (knock on wood again!).

I just can't seeing myself getting a C43 to replace my C450 though, the cars are too similar to pony up the extra money for that "AMG" badge, and the C Class for me lacks some luxury options I feel a car in it's price range should have.

My next vehicle WILL have all the luxury items I crave, and most likely will be one of these...

Old 01-19-2018, 09:45 AM

That Velar is beautiful. I actually have 2 neighbors with them on my street. I thought I loved the Jaguar F-Pace, and then Land Rover rebodies it into something even better looking! With that said, my sister has an Evoque that I absolutely hate. The interior seems to have been designed by someone with a Countach fetish, way too angular, not ergonomic at all, and ****ty scratchy vinyl on everything.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:46 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
'17 C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by MASSC450
Sorry to hear you had bad luck with your C450.

I've had good luck with my C450 (knock on wood). Aside from door handle LEDs burning out, the roof rack tabs fading in the sun (replaced, but are now faded again), and some minor interior creaking, my C450 has been a pretty good car. Even the rough rifting transmission got smoother after 10,000 miles.

As for wheels & tires, yes the run-flat tires suck hard. I run two sets of stock AMG wheels/tires...18" in the Winter and 19" in the Summer, and so far everything has been good (knock on wood again!).

I just can't seeing myself getting a C43 to replace my C450 though, the cars are too similar to pony up the extra money for that "AMG" badge, and the C Class for me lacks some luxury options I feel a car in it's price range should have.

My next vehicle WILL have all the luxury items I crave, and most likely will be one of these...

I put a deposit down on a Velar and actually ended up cancelling it once I saw it in person (my build is pretty much the same as your picture). The car is tiny, in my opinion. The tech was great and it was comfortable but I couldn't get over how the rear looked (especially with how the exhaust was positioned). I ended up going with a RR Sport instead.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 665 Likes on 523 Posts
c
Check out my similar thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...ver-owned.html

I have had many of the same issues. This was the most disappointing vehicle ownership I've had. I will likely never get into another MB again.

Last edited by alexasa; 01-19-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:32 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
w205 C43, 958.1 CTT
Why is the car the issue for the tire bubbles and cracked rim? Wouldn't that be the fault of the roads/tires you're driven the car on?

The roads in Michigan suck right now, and last week I got a flat/cracked the rim. I previously had two rims straightened since they were bent. In both of those cases, the fault is on me/the road, not the car.
The following users liked this post:
sean1.8t (01-20-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 08:10 PM
SV-

Anything SV
Originally Posted by sean1.8t
Why would it be a waste? Actually, it would be perfect for a 2 year lease over the 3. As I always suggest to everyone when the topic comes up that they shouldn't put more than 2-3k miles on the OE run-flats as they are crap (but I don't need to tell you) and you need to have them for lease turn in. So rather than running crap tires and then having to buy more for turning the car in, you put the original R-F's in the garage and run good quality standard tires and enjoy the car to it's full potential.

And getting 36k out of most performance tires is a stretch most often but can workout with a few k on the OE tires. But a 24k lease would be perfect as you'd almost always get that many miles out of standard tires. Whereas most everyone I've come across personally and on here, have replaced their OE tires at 10k miles or less. Which is ridiculous! And then you add in the inflated price they cost you and it's doubly ridiculous....Also, I hated the ride comfort at first. Well, most of the time it was good but little pot holes or man-hole covers were insanely jarring and I was really surprised by this. But it's not the suspension, it's the tires. Once I put normal tires on, there was no more 'jarring' on little bumps. Still a firm (well handling) ride, but smooth and perfectly comfortable.

I understand this situation has pissed you off but you need to look at it from your wife's unbiased POV (as I'm sure she hasn't been dealing with the headache of all this, she just enjoys the car when it's drivable). She understands that the car is just about the best you can get in it's segment/price, but you're letting a frustrating tire situation taint the car..

TL;DR - Put some Pilot Sport 4s on a new c43 and you & your wife will be fighting over the car
I feel like it's a waste because I'd be returning the car with brand new tires when I paid to wear these tires... instead I purchased tires of my own and used them. People are really changing OEM tires at 10k miles because they're worn out? Btw I said we drive 30k km on the summer tires (over 2 years) because we switch to winter tires for 6 months. Also take into consideration that you don't have a spare tire in the trunk. Not sure how good slime kits are.

Originally Posted by sterz85
Why is the car the issue for the tire bubbles and cracked rim? Wouldn't that be the fault of the roads/tires you're driven the car on?

The roads in Michigan suck right now, and last week I got a flat/cracked the rim. I previously had two rims straightened since they were bent. In both of those cases, the fault is on me/the road, not the car.
As I said in OP : Different car (2013 F30), same tires (P Zero run flat 19"), same commute (didn't move since then, 85% highway), same driver (my wife) = only one bubble in 3 years, due to an obvious pothole. We got common denominators here and only one variant, right? Also factor in the expert reviews saying the suspension is too stiff AND dealership admitting 19" tires are a mess on this car... oh and bubbles appearing magically. I can't believe they offer 20" rims on the E43...

I'm sorry but I don't expect a rim to crack unless I hit a serious pothole (especially that it's the rear rim... it doesn't have the weight of the engine on it, so less prone to damage).
Old 01-20-2018, 06:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C450
Originally Posted by SV-
I feel like it's a waste because I'd be returning the car with brand new tires when I paid to wear these tires... instead I purchased tires of my own and used them. People are really changing OEM tires at 10k miles because they're worn out? Btw I said we drive 30k km on the summer tires (over 2 years) because we switch to winter tires for 6 months. Also take into consideration that you don't have a spare tire in the trunk. Not sure how good slime kits are.

As I said in OP : Different car (2013 F30), same tires (P Zero run flat 19"), same commute (didn't move since then, 85% highway), same driver (my wife) = only one bubble in 3 years, due to an obvious pothole. We got common denominators here and only one variant, right? Also factor in the expert reviews saying the suspension is too stiff AND dealership admitting 19" tires are a mess on this car... oh and bubbles appearing magically. I can't believe they offer 20" rims on the E43...

I'm sorry but I don't expect a rim to crack unless I hit a serious pothole (especially that it's the rear rim... it doesn't have the weight of the engine on it, so less prone to damage).
Lol either your wife has been hitting potholes and not telling you or the roads have gotten worse. Jk.

I havent had issues with my C450 tires or rims. I did on my previous Infiniti have many tire bubbles and bent rims. I think it was 3 bubbles and 2 bent rims. The C450 I have now has 18” rims and the Infiniti had 19”.
I went with 18” this time for a softer crash over bumps and maybe avoid a bent rim.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 115 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
Originally Posted by SV-

Well, technically you leased a car for a certain amount of time and agreed to bring it back in reasonably the same condition as you received it, wear and tear items included. And that is my point, you're going to be paying for tires one way or another, it might as well be good ones. And I'm telling you, EVERYONE is telling you, run-flats are your problem; they're horrendous. And I'm on 18s, I'd imagine it's much worse for the 19s! I'd never experienced them before this and when I felt how rock hard the side walls are after we took them off, I was shocked. More so than I should have been considering that they are designed to hold a 2ton car up on their own lol. But take the advice of others on here or don't. We're just saying that these tires seem to be the answer to all of your problems. And if you swap tires for winter, then maybe 2yrs isn't enough. If you're not dealing with mountains and lots of snow, All-Season tires are plenty. Or up the lease? Or buy it out? IDK....Also, slime? Hahaha nah, pal. What do you think "Mercedes road service" is for?
Also factor in the expert reviews saying the suspension is too stiff AND dealership admitting 19" tires are a mess on this car..
HAHAHAHA! "Expert reviews?" Uhhhh, who said that? Because they're not very good at their job. This car, and the suspension specifically, is an AMG product. I mean, it's a sports car. Not a car for the elderly

Last edited by sean1.8t; 01-20-2018 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:36 AM

2012 Mercedes Benz S350
Did you have any lease-end protection? Just curious.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:23 AM
SV-

Anything SV
Originally Posted by Standingoten

I havent had issues with my C450 tires or rims. I did on my previous Infiniti have many tire bubbles and bent rims. I think it was 3 bubbles and 2 bent rims. The C450 I have now has 18” rims and the Infiniti had 19”.
I went with 18” this time for a softer crash over bumps and maybe avoid a bent rim.

I'm considering keeping the 18" wheels, but the AMG driver's package is interesting and it does upgrade to 19"...

Well, technically you leased a car for a certain amount of time and agreed to bring it back in reasonably the same condition as you received it, wear and tear items included. And that is my point, you're going to be paying for tires one way or another, it might as well be good ones. And I'm telling you, EVERYONE is telling you, run-flats are your problem; they're horrendous. And I'm on 18s, I'd imagine it's much worse for the 19s! I'd never experienced them before this and when I felt how rock hard the side walls are after we took them off, I was shocked. More so than I should have been considering that they are designed to hold a 2ton car up on their own lol. But take the advice of others on here or don't. We're just saying that these tires seem to be the answer to all of your problems. And if you swap tires for winter, then maybe 2yrs isn't enough. If you're not dealing with mountains and lots of snow, All-Season tires are plenty. Or up the lease? Or buy it out? IDK....Also, slime? Hahaha nah, pal. What do you think "Mercedes road service" is for?
Interesting points. I'd just rather return the lease on bald tires (they pretend like they check them but they don't) rather than almost-new. Yes we do swap for winters but we do deal with lots of snow, and it's required by law here to have winter tires, so yeah it's a bit annoying that we don't drive enough on the summer tires. It's my understanding that Mercedes road service won't help (ok maybe that's exaggerated) or will make you pay if you get a flat and you don't have runflats? At least that's how it was with BMW. What do you think? I'm considering that option too, if that could save hours at the dealership.

HAHAHAHA! "Expert reviews?" Uhhhh, who said that? Because they're not very good at their job. This car, and the suspension specifically, is an AMG product. I mean, it's a sports car. Not a car for the elderly
First, it's not a sports car, it's a sports sedan, and there's a world of difference in between. A sports sedan is supposed to do "sedany" stuff to be a daily driver unlike a Lamborghini. One of those things is a comfortable ride. I test drove the S4, the 340i (and previous car was 335i), Giulia, Q50, XE and own an IS350, and I can tell you : everybody got it right with a nice balance between sport and comfort (yes some of them are better). MB just went crazy. Stiff suspension doesn't necessarily mean sportier drive. BMW put the same exact tires on the 3-series and the ride was still more comfortable. Suspension is the major issue, but I agree with you that RF tires are still the culprit.

Second, here is an example of reviewers saying suspension is too stiff.

Sorry start time is off for some reason, it's 18:53.

Originally Posted by willadams1
Did you have any lease-end protection? Just curious.
Yes, unfortunately (because it looks like we won't use it, unless they find out that cracked rim and can cover it)

Originally Posted by CFG
I agree but I’d still like to know. Look inside your front door.

i had a South African c300 sport and loved it.

Made in U S and A!

Last edited by SV-; 01-21-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:05 PM
Former Member

CLS
Mine is USA made and the engine signed by Cletus. I love it.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:14 PM
SV-

Anything SV
Cletus Delroy Spuckler?
Old 01-22-2018, 08:01 AM
Former Member

CLS
One man, one pig.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Speaking of possible car choices to C450/C43, I had the pleasure last night to test drive a well-equipped 2018 Audi S4. This vehicle had the dynamic steering, sport pkg., and the black pkg. with special 19" wheels & Summer rubber.

So to make a long story short, I was not impressed, at least not enough to trade-in my C450 for one. The interior of the S4 felt a notch below the quality of my C450 (although I did like the digital dash and massaging driver's seat of the S4), the S4's performance was similar in pickup (and turbo lag), and the handling at speed on an off ramp felt similar as well if not a little more "artifical" when it comes to road feel. What I hated the most about the S4 was the steering...feeling numb/slightly loose on center at highway speeds, not as bad though as a newer BMW 3 Series. The steering in my C450 is the best IMO when it comes to others in it's class I've driven so far (BMW, Audi, Jaguar).

In conclusion, there was nothing compelling enough for me to trade my C450 for an 2018 S4...and to boot, Audi does not offer remote start on ANY of their vehicles, a must have option for me.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:56 AM

I saw an A5 sportback yesterday and it is beautiful. The S5 sportback is probably the only car I think looks better than mine in it's price range. It's maybe just a little too quiet for me though. I really do like the raucousness of my exhaust.
Brap brap, crackle crackle.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 C450
Sorry you've had such a bad experience. I've not had the most perfect first few months with my CPO C450, but I'm still in the tank for it...A couple of thoughts here:

- I had the pzeros on 19s when i got the car and swapped them out for Michelin AS3+ (know some folks will groan here). But, I get decent all weather performance, the only thing i've lost compared to the p-zeros is a little bit more nimble turn-in and grip, and now avoid significant back pain every time i so much as looked at a bump... Don't expect it will go to feeling like a rolls or anything - it's still a sports sedan - but getting off the run flats was a huge improvement. If cold weather isn't a concern, you could go Pilot SS. And knowing how fast the p-zeros wear, you will still be OK on the lease to get another set of non-RFs.

- I had a similar issue with rattles, also had 7g transmission that needed a reprogram and then a throttle sensor that created issues....all of which got handled very well by my dealer. Fortunately they are on my way to work so it's a drop off, loaner and back typically in a day or two max.

- your mess with the sensor sounded pretty terrible, and i'd def fault your dealer/MB for not taking better care of it. Mercedes-AMG might have been able to help escalate through TIPS case as a private lounge member, but even going to a C43 you still have to deal with the same people. AFAIK you get basically the same car with a 9 speed MT and performance exhaust...up to you if it's worth the upgrade. I'd be jealous of the PE :-)

Good luck!
Old 01-23-2018, 08:14 PM
SV-

Anything SV
Thanks for your input. I thought about switching to non-RF tires when I pick up the new car (IF that happens), it's reassuring that you saw a difference in ride comfort. I was actually considering the Michelin AS3+ because cold weather is a concern (we switch to winter tires during winter, but still need all-season to drive in freezing temperatures when there's no snow yet, particularly in November).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Horrible C450 lease finally coming to an end