C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do with the fading Window trim?Anyone else has this problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 07:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
C450 AMG,, JAAAAG XF 5.0
What to do with the fading Window trim?Anyone else has this problem?

Folks,

My window trim is starting to fade from Black to Purplish to now it seems like it has been under the sun for the past 20 years. I feel like this is an unacceptable for a 2016 car (less than 2 years). I live in WV so the weather here is mostly cold (no heat no sun most of the year) and the window trim is starting to go away.

I tried with my local MB dealer for them to change it under warranty but they claimed this to be not under warranty because of carwashes and the polish that they use (doesn't make since to me) and i take all of my cars there and only the benz experienced such symptom.

What to do in this case? Do I go to another MB dealer or do I escalate this with MB or go with my insurance and file a claim? If I file a claim with my insurance what does this fall under?

Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:22 PM

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
How bad is it?

Is it the gloss black trim or the matte black one? Something like this could work if the latter.

Amazon Amazon
Old 02-02-2018, 08:08 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
C43 Cab
Originally Posted by crocoss
Folks,

My window trim is starting to fade from Black to Purplish to now it seems like it has been under the sun for the past 20 years. I feel like this is an unacceptable for a 2016 car (less than 2 years). I live in WV so the weather here is mostly cold (no heat no sun most of the year) and the window trim is starting to go away.

I tried with my local MB dealer for them to change it under warranty but they claimed this to be not under warranty because of carwashes and the polish that they use (doesn't make since to me) and i take all of my cars there and only the benz experienced such symptom.

What to do in this case? Do I go to another MB dealer or do I escalate this with MB or go with my insurance and file a claim? If I file a claim with my insurance what does this fall under?

Any help is appreciated.
  • This is a problem with some touchless car washes. They use very strong chemicals which can discolor trim pieces. This is why the user manual specifies not to use them. I have read that it is not uncommon for black trim to turn purplish.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:17 AM

Received 133 Likes on 112 Posts
2018 C43 AMG Brilliant Blue Metallic
Happening to my car also it is from the autoautom car washes I use.

Sucks such an amazing car has this problem
Old 02-03-2018, 08:41 AM

C43 Cab
Originally Posted by Dieseldan9
Happening to my car also it is from the autoautom car washes I use.

Sucks such an amazing car has this problem
this is really not an MB specific issue. It is a common problem across many makes. The problem is really the car wash chemicals. To make them effective, the can also be very overly harsh and if the car wash operators are not careful, they can damage a car’s finish. I would switch to a different car wash to start with.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:40 PM

C450 AMG,, JAAAAG XF 5.0
Originally Posted by ShakyTom
How bad is it?

Is it the gloss black trim or the matte black one? Something like this could work if the latter.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...=trim+restorer

It is the gloss black trim outlining the windows from the outside of the car. I think they are damaged beyond repair. Since this has only happened in the Mercedes I am wondering if I can have them change it under warranty.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:43 PM

C450 AMG,, JAAAAG XF 5.0
Originally Posted by DRLC43

this is really not an MB specific issue. It is a common problem across many makes. The problem is really the car wash chemicals. To make them effective, the can also be very overly harsh and if the car wash operators are not careful, they can damage a car’s finish. I would switch to a different car wash to start with.
Unfortunately this has gone beyond repairable now, so switching to a different car wash isn't going to remedy the issue. I would disagree with you on not MB specific because I happen to know a lot of people with different makes and models who go to the same carwash and nothing ever happens to their vehicles. I have a buddy who has a CLA 45 who is suffering the exact same issue as I do.

Anyways do you think I would be able to fight mercedes for a new window trim? or should I file a claim with my insurance?
Old 02-03-2018, 11:25 PM

C43 Cab
Originally Posted by crocoss
Unfortunately this has gone beyond repairable now, so switching to a different car wash isn't going to remedy the issue. I would disagree with you on not MB specific because I happen to know a lot of people with different makes and models who go to the same carwash and nothing ever happens to their vehicles. I have a buddy who has a CLA 45 who is suffering the exact same issue as I do.

Anyways do you think I would be able to fight mercedes for a new window trim? or should I file a claim with my insurance?
First this is not an MB specific problem. If you google this, you will find many stories about trim being damaged by touchless car washes with different models and makes. It also not die icicles to just black trim. I am not sure why would insurance cover this, it is either defective or not. I am fairly sure that I read in the manual it says not to take your car through one, but by all means try to get MB to fix it under warranty.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 132 Likes on 116 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
  • This is a problem with some touchless car washes.
Okay this is making sense to me now. As my car isn't constantly in the sun but being that my apartment doesn't have a garage for me, it definitely sees a lot of sun exposure and my trim hasn't faded at all. And being that I never use those "touchless" carwashes, seems like that would confirm that reasoning.

I never really knew those used such harsh chemicals and that's all the more reason why I'd never use them. I mean, even with that crap, they never get the car even close to fully clean.
but by all means try to get MB to fix it under warranty.
Yeah, sounds like that's a looooooong shot. They are already quick to deny a unique warranty request (anything that would set a precedent), but it sounds as if they have already protected themselves against these issues with disclaimers in the owners manual and such.

OP, as far as any type of compensation on this, your best bet would probably be against the carwash. But even then you're probably out of luck there as well. Pretty much every car wash will list their products used and disclaim that any damage caused is done so with full knowledge of the customer. So honestly, just be glad it's something small and cheap to fix like the window trim. Repaint or wrap it to your liking and stop using crappy carwashes
Old 02-08-2018, 06:02 PM

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
2003 C320 coupe/c450 in Feb 2016
it happened to my c450 too.
my dealer said it' "water stains", use something to wash it off like soap maybe.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:17 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 E43 AMG
I've got it on one of my window black trim strips. Looks like discolored water spot. May have to take it to a detail shop to see if they can refinish it.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:55 AM

Received 133 Likes on 112 Posts
2018 C43 AMG Brilliant Blue Metallic
Old reply I know but I thought this would be helpful

I just recently "coated" my car and wiped down trim with IPA and applied coating to it and the problem with discoloring and water spots are gone because of the coating.

Basically the coating protects the trim from the harsh soap and chemicals from the wash so the trim looks brand new all the time.