Sponsored by:

C450 w/ JB1?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 05:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 Mercedes C450 AMG Sport
C450 w/ JB1?

Anyone here running a JB1 on their C450? Curious if anyone's been able to hit the track and post up a 1/4 time with the C450 and a JB1.

I'm getting fairly close to pulling the trigger on the JB1.. just want to hear from some other C450 owners on their experiences.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300
I have a c450 with jb1 and it does perform well. I am not getting trap speed numbers that the c43’s are getting. On map 2 my actual boost is only 13 psi. I’m told it should be higher but terry from bms said it’s normal.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Timmy9830
I have a c450 with jb1 and it does perform well. I am not getting trap speed numbers that the c43’s are getting. On map 2 my actual boost is only 13 psi. I’m told it should be higher but terry from bms said it’s normal.
What trap speed numbers are you currently receiving and how recently did you get the JB1?

Do you think with more fine tuning you could achieve the C43 trap speeds or is that likely not possible due to the gearing differences between the 7speed vs 9speed trannys?

I'm also curious as to if you feel a noticeable difference in the speed of the vehicle? Does it feel noticeably quicker over stock? If I wanted to just have the car be quicker over stock without any tuning done on my end, what map setting would I use?
Old 05-16-2018, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by CFG
Racechip GTS black on my 450. Simple, easy to use and much quicker.
Are you able to post any trap speeds or 1/4 mile times with your RaceChip?

Just went over their pricing structure and the GTS Black is almost a 50% cost increase over the JB1. Curious if you're actually getting the numbers that are posted on the racechip site with respect to HP and TQ.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by CFG

I have nothing objective. I chose this over the JB1 because the product warning on the bms site scared my donkey, and this one is Bluetooth equipped out of the box.
Gotcha.. did you have to pay extra for bluetooth capabilities? I see it listed now as a $50 dollar extra option for the GTS black.... with a price of almost 850 USD.. they're getting pretty close to tune pricing no? Either way they've got a pretty interesting pricing model / product lineup. Have you had any issues with the unit so far and have you also gotten the chance to do any custom mapping?

Curious as to how the GTS community is with sharing custom maps vs the JB1... I realize this is all new grounds for us right now but these are some factors I'd definitely be taking into account when looking to purchase a piggyback.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by CFG

I bought it on sale and I did pay the Bluetooth fee. I think they simply activate something before shipping. I’ve had no issues, smoother shifting and Racechip has remotely remapped for me twice, each time improving performance per my request. The say I’ve now hit the wall! I will not get an ECU tune, regardless of price.
That's good to know.. do you have any plans to take it to a dyno or a track to get some objective #'s to verify the increase in power?

Any other C450 owners with a piggyback feel free to chime in with your experiences especially if you've got trap speeds and 1/4 times!
Old 05-16-2018, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by CFG
  • Nope, I got what wanted. Ease of use and subjective results. I’m not a measurbator.
Glad to hear you're happy with the product! I'll definitely be giving some consideration to RaceChip when I make my purchase.. I really do like the look of their site/product over BMS.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:11 AM

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
2018 C43
Originally Posted by CFG
I’d say bms for sheer numbers and Racechip for a balance of performance and ease of use.
sheer numbers meaning all of them including less money, better performance, save countless different maps you can change on the fly (without having to request any remote file to be emailed to you) for different temps or situations. Racechip’s product does look much better than BMS, but ask yourself what’s more important, looks, performance, or the ability to tweak maps. At the end of the day they both hook up to the same sensors, and they both do the exact same thing. They both boost (X) psi over stock ecu boost. You will notice significant gains with either 2 products.
The following users liked this post:
iggs (05-19-2018)
Old 05-19-2018, 11:12 AM

Any other c450 owners out there with a jb1 able to provide trap speeds or 1/4 times?

think I’m leaning more towards the jb1 purely for the customization aspect (and price) which are more appealing to me... I see munis was able to get an 11.5 with his c43.... if I can get the c450 to low 12s I’ll be satisfied
Old 05-19-2018, 11:27 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Range Rover
I do and sorry no numbers. I can say you’ll be incredibly happy with the JB1
Old 05-19-2018, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Cartman417
I do and sorry no numbers. I can say you’ll be incredibly happy with the JB1
Fair enough.. thanks for providing the input.. a couple quick questions for you (or anybody with the unit really), on it:

1. Do you notice a difference in acceleration even when you're not at WOT i.e. if i step halfway on the gas will it feel noticeably different from stock or does the unit really only make the car come alive when you're at WOT?
2. Are you running your own custom maps or the preset ones that come with the unit? Just wondering how easy it is to install out of the box set it to a preset map and have the car feel noticeably different right away.
3. Are the optional data cable and smart phone wireless REV3 capability worth the extra purchase? What is the wireless capability for and is it worth the purchase? assuming it's for wirelessly changing maps thru your phone but if you don't purchase this how do you change the mapping on the device?
4. Should I get the data cable if I plan to run my own custom maps/load other people's custom maps?
5. I'm in Canada and usually get 91 octane gas, will I need to start purchasing higher octane gas in order to get the most out of the unit?
6. Have you received any CEL since installing the unit?

That's all I got for now, sorry if it's a bit much but just trying to really understand what I'm getting myself into before making the purchase.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:28 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Range Rover
Yes faster at all times. Get cable for sure if you can run higher than 91 and/or E85.
If you can only run 91 octane then hold off on cable and just run the map 1
iggs (05-22-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 08:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300
My 450 with the jb1 would cut timing on map. 2 so I used I map2 with an e85 mixture and after a while I switched back to straight 93 octane fuel and the car performs well now.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:21 AM

Just wanted to bring this back in case any 450 folks were looking to pull the trigger on the JB1 as I've gone to the track with it and have been able to get some official #'s...

Best time was a 12.38 @ 114.5mph this was on a custom map 6 setting that I received from another forum member on here - Munis... I can share the settings with other members here if they are looking to try it out as well.

Map 1 average times were 12.6 - 12.8 @ 110 - 112 mph

Map 2 average times were 12.4 - 12.6 @ 112 - 114 mph

Map 6 average times were 12.3 - 12.5 @ 112- 114 mph

Few things to note:
- I did not have the bluetooth module or a long enough USB cable with me so unfortunately was not able to log any of these runs - I plan on going back in September with a JB4 and bluetooth module (already installed) and doing some extensive logging.
- The C450 is notoriously tricky to launch - my average 60' times were 1.9 - 2.1. I notice the car really likes to pull back when torque braking (I'd typically TB to 2K and would notice it drop to 1.6-1.7 and then launch). A couple other members on this forum tried launching my car and noticed the same thing. Best 60' time was when Munis put the car into Dyno mode and cut a 1.7. I'm still figuring out how to properly launch this thing as 'TC Off' on a 450 is the equivalent of 'TC Sport' in a 43 and a 450 has no official TC off mode.. this appears to only be achievable through dyno mode (which can be a bit risky on a track).
- Temperatures that day were high so nobody was really hitting the numbers they were hoping - couple of cars broke into the high 11's but I don't believe anyone hit the numbers that they were looking for - I know I didn't (was hoping for a 11.8 - 11.9 - at least to break into the 11s).

I think with some lower temps, the JB4 (Map 7), figuring out how to launch the car properly, and possibly a little race gas the car can definitely break into the 11's - at least this is my plan for the next time around.

Anyways, I'm very pleased with this unit and the times it has put down, the car definitely pulls a lot stronger and that's noticeable relatively quickly. Those 43 guys really made me envious of their PE's tho lol although I am pleased with the 450's exhaust overrun I definitely need those upshift bangs in my life so am lookin at doin a res delete or a true dual system sometime in the near future (hopefully before I go back to the track lol).

If any of you guys have any questions about the JB1 and the 450 feel free to reach out!
Darrington (08-18-2018)