MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C450/C43 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-amg-216/)
-   -   360 Camera Calibration (https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-amg/710946-360-camera-calibration.html)

ShakyTom 06-15-2018 12:33 PM

360 Camera Calibration

After fitting a third party grille, my 360 camera is a little out of whack and needs re-calibrating. I've done as much adjustment as I can physically but it still isn't stitching together properly.

Does anyone know if this is possible to do in software? Is it a dealership job?

Star4life 06-18-2018 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by ShakyTom (Post 7479762)
After fitting a third party grille, my 360 camera is a little out of whack and needs re-calibrating. I've done as much adjustment as I can physically but it still isn't stitching together properly.

Does anyone know if this is possible to do in software? Is it a dealership job?

you would need the dealer SDS tool to calibrate. If you dont have that or know someone close then yes dealer needs to do.

ShakyTom 06-21-2018 11:03 AM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...53a400ff58.png

Was at the dealer for 4 hours for what was supposed to be a 1 hour job. In the end they couldn't calibrate it and have left me with no working cameras at all.

Not sure how they have f****ed up so badly... They told me they need to speak to Mercedes Germany and get back to me.

Anyone got any ideas?

HTXgearhead 06-22-2018 11:43 AM

So you messed your car up by putting an aftermarket grill in and expecting everything to work like factory.

You realize they have the right to refuse you service because it is an aftermarket part right? Give them credit for attempting to fix your mistake properly.

So quick to blame the dealer on something you messed up....

ShakyTom 06-22-2018 12:34 PM

What a strange reply :confused:

I booked a recalibration under the premise that I had changed the grille and the 360 camera was not stitching together properly. It was obviously not warranty work and the price was agreed at time of booking.

I entered the dealership with all working cameras and left without any working cameras.

I'm not sure how that's anybody's fault other than theirs?

HTXgearhead 06-22-2018 01:35 PM

The reason you went there to begin with isn't their fault.

I would give them a little more credit for attempting to fix it, as most dealers will not touch aftermarket stuff.

They are obviously going to get your cameras turned back on when you return to the dealership. So maybe be patient and appreciate having a dealer that is willing to invest the time into resolving the issue instead of telling you go elsewhere or go back to stock.

ShakyTom 06-22-2018 01:57 PM

That's exactly what they've said, I'm on my own and they are not going to help me.

My gripe is that I went in with working cameras and now can't even use the backup camera. I don't think it's unreasonable to at least expect to be put back into my original position.

They were fully aware of the grille change and did not tell me this was a possible outcome.

Am I really being unreasonable?

HTXgearhead 06-22-2018 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by ShakyTom (Post 7485573)
That's exactly what they've said, I'm on my own and they are not going to help me.

My gripe is that I went in with working cameras and now can't even use the backup camera. I don't think it's unreasonable to at least expect to be put back into my original position.

They were fully aware of the grille change and did not tell me this was a possible outcome.

Am I really being unreasonable?

That part wasn't mentioned earlier. If they agreed to work on it and agreed to a price, it is their job to fix it.

I would demand that they return the car in the condition that you brought it to them and they shouldn't charge you a dime considering they did not hold up on their end.

If the service advisor doesn't want to work with you, I would walk in and demand to speak with a service manager.

A European repair shop or maybe Cartoys might be a good alternative to get the camera alignment fixed.

ShakyTom 06-25-2018 08:39 PM

I've spoken to both the dealership and Mercedes AMG (or at least their UK office) and they are both saying that the problem is with the grille, and until I fit an OEM grille, I am on my own.

Neither have offered a solution regarding getting me back to where I was before the dealership visit (working cameras but slightly misaligned), so I am not sure how to pursue the matter further with them :nix:

I think I am going to phone another dealer, explain the situation honestly, and see if they are willing to take on the job.

RichardCranium3 06-25-2018 10:07 PM

This sound like a lazy hot garbage dealer. Even the third party companies that offer the aftermarket 360 cam systems offer a calibration walkthrough that doesn't seem overly complicated. Their kits include something like a 16x16 mat that you have to lay out around the car and you adjust from there. This is something a dealer would have to do after an accident anyway. If a dealer isn't willing to take your money to figure this out, I wouldn't want to go there in the first place.

ShakyTom 06-25-2018 10:29 PM

Hopefully the new dealer gets it sorted for me :rolleyes:

The calibration on this car (from what they told me) involves actually driving the car really slowly on the road while the car completes the camera checks and performs the calibration. I don't think any mats are used.

unr1 06-25-2018 11:38 PM

Pics of your new grille? Thanks

ShakyTom 06-26-2018 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by unr1 (Post 7488146)
Pics of your new grille? Thanks

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...67f9391a7c.png

ItalianJoe1 06-26-2018 12:07 AM

Yes the 360 camera calibration is a slow driving one that syncs up the cameras. I've had some go very smoothly and take 30 min, I've had some reach 99% and fail after an hour and had to be re-tried 3 or 4 times to make it work. It will work, but it will require a patient tech and in the flat rate world, those are few and far between.

ShakyTom 06-26-2018 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1 (Post 7488165)
Yes the 360 camera calibration is a slow driving one that syncs up the cameras. I've had some go very smoothly and take 30 min, I've had some reach 99% and fail after an hour and had to be re-tried 3 or 4 times to make it work. It will work, but it will require a patient tech and in the flat rate world, those are few and far between.

Where do I find a patient tech like yourself? :D

So it is common for the calibration to fail even on a completely stock car? Certainly a different story to what the dealer are telling me!

ItalianJoe1 06-26-2018 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by ShakyTom (Post 7488280)
Where do I find a patient tech like yourself? :D

So it is common for the calibration to fail even on a completely stock car? Certainly a different story to what the dealer are telling me!

I wouldn't say it's common, they don't normally need calibration unless the vehicle was in an accident and has had body repairs. So that's not "normal".

unr1 06-26-2018 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by ShakyTom (Post 7488162)

nice :y

ShakyTom 06-26-2018 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1 (Post 7488585)
I wouldn't say it's common, they don't normally need calibration unless the vehicle was in an accident and has had body repairs. So that's not "normal".

Right right, but it is interesting to hear that it does happen with what I assume are stock cars?

ItalianJoe1 06-26-2018 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by ShakyTom (Post 7488745)
Right right, but it is interesting to hear that it does happen with what I assume are stock cars?

I've never had to calibrate a car that wasn't damaged somehow. It's always something bent or broken that throws them out enough to need calibration.

ShakyTom 06-27-2018 01:19 PM

Took the car to another dealer who have managed to complete calibration and return my cameras to working order :)

I'm pretty much back at square one though unfortunately as the front camera is still not stitching together properly with the side ones. Seems strange that this is the case after a calibration.

I suspect I'll have to live with that, or go back to the old OEM grille to get things 100% correct.

ShakyTom 06-27-2018 07:10 PM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...998579dc69.png

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...67842a426b.png

Hopefully this gives you an idea of just how bad this "calibration" is. The road markings are all sorts of messed up when it transitions between the side and front cameras.

The camera is pointing too far up in the aftermarket grille and I guess the calibration just doesn't have enough room to adjust for that. Let this be a warning to anyone who buys this grille if you have the 360 camera :)

ItalianJoe1 06-27-2018 07:13 PM

Makes sense. The calibration is to compensate for production tolerances, not for poorly designed parts.

ShakyTom 06-27-2018 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1 (Post 7489686)
Makes sense. The calibration is to compensate for production tolerances, not for poorly designed parts.

An expensive lesson for sure... Hopefully it wont need another calibration after I go back to the OEM grille :loser:

HTXgearhead 06-27-2018 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by ShakyTom (Post 7489691)
An expensive lesson for sure... Hopefully it wont need another calibration after I go back to the OEM grille :loser:

The grill does look good. Would it be possible to modify the camera housing so the camera does not have to correct itself so much?

ShakyTom 06-27-2018 10:40 PM

The camera housing on the grille is just moulded plastic. You can make some adjustments to how the camera is screwed into the housing, but nowhere near enough to correct the angle to OEM.

If you don't have the 360 camera it's a great grille, but given how badly it is out of alignment, I will be going back to the stock grille or I will forever be annoyed by it.