Sponsored by:

What are my chances?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 10:47 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
'17 E300
What are my chances?

Hi, time for me to sell my Vette (had it for 9 years now) and get a smoother riding, more classy ride. I've been looking at the C and E class and been to the dealers a few times now. I think the E class is too big for me, and no offense to anyone, but I think it's an older persons car, not very sporty looking. (I'm 55 btw).

I drove an '18 C300 that was loaded ($55k) and liked it. I will miss the HUD, but the rest of the car was nice, rode well, was quiet inside and the coupe looks good from the outside. I'm trying to get something that isn't mistaken for a Camry, and that is actually harder than you might think.

There are a ton of C300's around here in San Diego, seems like a car everyone leases. There are also a ton of used ones.

I have seen a few of the C43 coupes and really like that car, though I haven't driven one. I like that the car has decent power and can be easily modded to get to that 400 hp mark and still have decent gas mileage.

So here are my questions......does the C43 coupe ride exactly like a C300 coupe?

My car buying budget is going to be about $40-45K before taxes and license. I'd love a White coupe with anything other than black interior (San Diego summers are hot in a black interior). Think this is an achievable goal, or should I be settling for a 1-2 year old C300 coupe? Or, keeping in mind I like nimble, sporty & classy, is there another Merc I should be looking at?
Old 06-25-2018, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Ride quality in the C43 is quite a bit stiffer than the C300 even in the comfort suspension setting. In S+ it will make you miss the dampening on your Vette. If you get one with 18" wheels instead of 19s it will be quite a bit more compliant.

A new C43 is going to be $14-25k over your budget depending on options and I haven't seen that many used ones around. There may be more down in SoCal, but I'm not seeing much up here.
Have you thought about an E400 coupe? It's not as stuffy as the sedan. Looks much sleeker and it's a little bit smaller. E class coupes are also much less common than than C class. I've seen some really good deals on low mileage CPO lease returns.

If you are considering a C300 only look at 2017 and newer. The 9g tranny is a must, it really wakes up the little I4 motor. The C300 with the 7g feels pretty sluggish in comparison.

Last edited by Mr. J; 06-25-2018 at 11:53 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:47 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2019 c43 AMG
Get the c43

As one who has ridden in both I would consider the c43 with performance exhaust. The 300 has a four banger and is not nearly as satisfying. I would further suggest a coupe as these are assembled in Germany not the US as sedans are. FYI I have a 2019 c43 on order after driving both. Depending on the options you want a certified used c43 might put the price within reach. Not that the 300 isn’t nice but they are a dime a dozen.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:48 PM

2019 c43 AMG
Ride

If you want a better ride get a 43 with 18” wheels. More sidewall. Rides better.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:32 PM

'17 E300
Thanks for the info all. I hadn't looked at the E400 coupe closely, I think I saw a convertible coupe E something with the top down and didn't like the rear of the car, looked like it gave up. I'll check out the hard top coupe.

I've read here that the performance exhaust option is a must, any other options that are must haves? I was thinking about cooled seats but read that they don't work well. Is there a head's up display option? I will most likely put new wheels and tires on the car, wheels make the car IMHO, so I can get a nice set of 18" with non-runflats.

Appreciate everyone's time!
Old 06-26-2018, 12:35 PM

2019 c43 AMG
Head up

Originally Posted by West_Coaster
Thanks for the info all. I hadn't looked at the E400 coupe closely, I think I saw a convertible coupe E something with the top down and didn't like the rear of the car, looked like it gave up. I'll check out the hard top coupe.

I've read here that the performance exhaust option is a must, any other options that are must haves? I was thinking about cooled seats but read that they don't work well. Is there a head's up display option? I will most likely put new wheels and tires on the car, wheels make the car IMHO, so I can get a nice set of 18" with non-runflats.

Appreciate everyone's time!
yes there is a hud as a separate option. Good call with 18” wheels
Old 06-26-2018, 02:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
C43 AMG
My 2 cents - I purchased a c43 Sedan at the end of May in Carlsbad. After doing a ton of research what I found is that there were only a handful of 43's available in a 200 mile radius and even looked out of state (at the time there were only 50 or 60 available on the used car market in the country). I think you'll be happier with the 43 over the 300 in the long term if you want power. Its fast when you want it to be but comfortable cruising around town. You may be playing the waiting game for a white coupe but I'd hold out.

Slight background but I had an 2014 A6 3.0T before the C43. At the time I was looking for an S4 but found myself enjoying the A6 (even though it was bigger) especially since it had the bigger engine. I did some normal mods to it: Tune/Exhaust. I really enjoyed that car but found myself wanting more. I wanted something a bit more nimble, newer and a "better" platform if I wanted to go faster. I went to go test drive an S6 that turned into me test driving the C43. S6 was great but not much different than the A6 besides the diamond leather seats and obviously fast Twin Turbo V8. However, when I drove the C43, I could instantly tell it was what I was looking for. It has the sporty feel to it but still able to putz along comfortably.

Of course these 2 cars are in different categories but I feel as if the 43 found me more than I found it. Even though I have family members that are all about the brand, I've never been a big Merc guy in the past but this car really changed my perception. Keep in mind I didn't buy it at a Mercedes dealership so no kool-aid drinking here.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:39 PM

'17 E300
Originally Posted by Slinger24
My 2 cents - I purchased a c43 Sedan at the end of May in Carlsbad. After doing a ton of research what I found is that there were only a handful of 43's available in a 200 mile radius and even looked out of state (at the time there were only 50 or 60 available on the used car market in the country). I think you'll be happier with the 43 over the 300 in the long term if you want power. Its fast when you want it to be but comfortable cruising around town. You may be playing the waiting game for a white coupe but I'd hold out.

Slight background but I had an 2014 A6 3.0T before the C43. At the time I was looking for an S4 but found myself enjoying the A6 (even though it was bigger) especially since it had the bigger engine. I did some normal mods to it: Tune/Exhaust. I really enjoyed that car but found myself wanting more. I wanted something a bit more nimble, newer and a "better" platform if I wanted to go faster. I went to go test drive an S6 that turned into me test driving the C43. S6 was great but not much different than the A6 besides the diamond leather seats and obviously fast Twin Turbo V8. However, when I drove the C43, I could instantly tell it was what I was looking for. It has the sporty feel to it but still able to putz along comfortably.

Of course these 2 cars are in different categories but I feel as if the 43 found me more than I found it. Even though I have family members that are all about the brand, I've never been a big Merc guy in the past but this car really changed my perception. Keep in mind I didn't buy it at a Mercedes dealership so no kool-aid drinking here.

Thanks, that's some good info. Did you get your car new?
Old 06-26-2018, 02:48 PM

C43 AMG
Actually bought it used. I've never been a big fan of buying brand new. Its a 2017 and only downside to it was the higher than average miles on the car.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C450
If you want a smooth ride I would skip the C43 all together. Even in comfort mode it will be as stiff as your Corvette.

The C43 is the stiffest riding car in the segment.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:28 AM

2019 c43 AMG
18 tires

Originally Posted by Standingoten
If you want a smooth ride I would skip the C43 all together. Even in comfort mode it will be as stiff as your Corvette.

The C43 is the stiffest riding car in the segment.
get 18” rims more sidewall rides better
Old 06-27-2018, 11:09 AM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
2019 AMG C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by J**2

get 18” rims more sidewall rides better
Can confirm 18" were relatively smooth riding. I'm coming from the Subaru STI world so the c43 was like riding on a cloud.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:40 AM

C43 AMG
Originally Posted by MVEOVR
Can confirm 18" were relatively smooth riding. I'm coming from the Subaru STI world so the c43 was like riding on a cloud.
Good call. Coming from a Vette I don't think the OP will have an issue with either but 18's will for sure be smoother.

FYI to the OP, A6 was on stock 20's. C43 is on 19's. Going over lane markers is slightly harsher compared to the 20's but I think that's due to the tighter suspension.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts
16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)
If you want unique how about a E550 coupe ? very few around and I would think more comfortable then a C43...

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3679/overview/

found this one....
Old 06-27-2018, 12:51 PM

'17 E300
Thanks all, I'm not looking for a marshmallow ride.

My current car is so loud inside it's pathetic, the exhaust is super loud (3" exhaust to Borla stingers), the tires whine like crazy, and there is next to no sound deadening. The ride quality is not that bad, it's not a Mercedes, but it's not awful. I'm not expecting S class ride quality. The biggest change I'm looking for is a quiet interior, I want to hear some growl when WOT, but for the most part, I don't want to hear the whine of tires, creaks and groans from the car flexing. I'd like a nice dampened thud when the door closes. Listening to the stereo and not having it be drowned out by road noise would be good. I don't want a dead driving experience either, I like feedback, just not jarring hits when there is uneven road sections.

Concerning tire size, my current car is on 18/19's, I have had run flats, and now have Michelin pilot sport 4S non-run flats on it. They grip great and are much quieter than run flats. Problem with going from a run flat to a non-run flat is turn in. The less stiffer sidewalls make the steering seem sluggish, but do offer improved ride quality.

I should also mention I don't like "me too" cars, or cars that are indiscernible from a Camry. As an example, I don't think I could drive a C300. Just too many out there, and they don't stand out.
I need to go drive a C43 and see if it fits the bill.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

or.............

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...&partner=COO_0
Old 06-27-2018, 12:57 PM

'17 E300
Originally Posted by mrmotoguzzi00
If you want unique how about a E550 coupe ? very few around and I would think more comfortable then a C43...

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3679/overview/

found this one....
I can't seem to get past the number pad looking thing on the dash, looks pretty dated to me, especially after seeing the new E's.

BTW, my first car was a 70 Monte Carlo, LS5, converted to 4 speed. I spent so much money on that car I could have bought a Ferrari (cheap one anyway).
Old 06-27-2018, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by West_Coaster
I can't seem to get past the number pad looking thing on the dash, looks pretty dated to me, especially after seeing the new E's.

BTW, my first car was a 70 Monte Carlo, LS5, converted to 4 speed. I spent so much money on that car I could have bought a Ferrari (cheap one anyway).

Agreed Like the new E dash better too.... we bought our E550 too soon... Loved my monte carlo's had a chance to buy 70 454 ss when i was a kid... couldn't get my bike sold fast enough to buy the car.. he wanted $2k... column shift auto with power windows... he had just rebuilt the motor... TRW pistons.. remember those ? 11-1 compression... in the test drive he was doing burnouts at 60 like nothing...... I was in love lol