Sponsored by:

Sidewall Strength, Summer vs All Season

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG C43
Sidewall Strength, Summer vs All Season

I have had my C43 for about 8 weeks.... love the car.... HATE the tires. Pirelli P Zero Summer on 19 inch wheels. I live in northern Indiana, we have pot holes. I have had two flats in two weeks. Before anyone yells, understand I had a Lexus before this car which also had 19 in wheels and Bridgestone All Season tires. I never had a problem with those for 3 years. My driving nor my roads have not changed....

My question, I was thinking of switching to the Michelin A/S 3+ all season tires anyway.... but does anyone know if an all season tire has better sidewall strength then a summer tire? I have been online trying to specifically find out... also talking with Tirerack.com... they said the Michelin's are pretty known for sidewall strength compared to other tires in the same category, but could not say that all season are better than summer. I could switch to the 18 inch wheel and have more sidewall, but I really would prefer the 19's if I can.

This is my everyday driving car, I need good performance but also reliability... 2 blow outs in 2 weeks may have been just super bad luck, but I generally don't believe in coincidences like that.

Any thoughts would be great. Thank!

Old 07-30-2018, 05:26 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
2018 C43 AMG
You're about to be attacked for creating another tire thread like i did
Old 07-30-2018, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Runflat tires have notoriously stiff sidewalls.

My advice would be to get rid of them ASAP. The ride quality is terrible and so is cornering performance.

The Michelins you are considering are the gold standard of all-season tires. You will notice a massive improvement in braking, grip, steering feel, and ride quality.

Finally, the max performance summer tires will have a stiffer sidewall than the all-season tires. I had Continental's direct competitor to the Michelin Pilot Super Sport, the ContiSportContact 5P on my C63 for 5 years.

Let me know if that's helpful and don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.
The following users liked this post:
C43Ayemgee (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 11:06 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2019 c43 AMG
18”

I would switch to 18” tires AND the Michelin’s
better ride, much better sidewall, the 19” are pretty but fragile
thats why I ordered my new 2019 coupe with 18” tires.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG C43
Thanks for the great and positive advice.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
Originally Posted by C43Ayemgee
You're about to be attacked for creating another tire thread like i did
Nailed it! But not quite...

OP, the key difference between the summer and all-seasons is more a matter of the contact compounds and how they perform at their optimal temp ranges. So you're concern is somewhat of a moot point. Might there be a difference? Sure. But a meaningful difference when it comes to potholes and blowouts, not likely. If you're tracking the car, a dedicated track tire (Pilot Cup Sport, et al) will of course have different sidewall performance, but you're not going to run that tire on the street, especially with a C43. You should be able to gather more information by utilizing the search function and perusing the results.

Last edited by RichardCranium3; 07-31-2018 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:14 PM

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 C43 sedan
^What Richard said^

Summer tires tend to be slightly quieter on the road, I don’t think there is a noticable difference in ride quality between an all season and summer tire.

Might want to factor in where you live though. If you get light snow, go all season. Heavy snow? Summer tire and winter tire setup. I never see snow, so I drive on summer tires all year. If you get a lot of rain, summer tires tend to hydroplane less than all seasons.

Last edited by HTXgearhead; 07-31-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by HTXgearhead
^What Richard said^

Summer tires tend to be slightly quieter on the road, I don’t think there is a noticable difference in ride quality between an all season and summer tire.

Might want to factor in where you live though. If you get light snow, go all season. Heavy snow? Summer tire and winter tire setup. I never see snow, so I drive on summer tires all year. If you get a lot of rain, summer tires tend to hydroplane less than all seasons.

This^^^
I've been happy with PIlot AS3+.
Wheel size will have a much greater impact on ride quality than the tire type.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:33 PM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
none yet
Run Flats Suck.. But so do 19" wheels on mid west roads. If you can I'd swap the OE 19" for OE 18" keep in mind these cars run a staggered set up. I'd use Michelin AS/3+ or Continental DWS-06 The Michelins have an ever so slightly stiffer side wall, the Conti is a bit softer.. The big improvement is going to 18" and getting rid of RFT's, and just get one of these in case https://www.continental-tires.com/ca...ntimobilitykit

Oh one other thing, if you switch to 18" wheels make sure to get HUB CENTRIC wheels (like the Original wheels) Adaptor rings suck.. I've never been able to get as smooth a ride, as good a balance, with aftermarket wheels and hub rings. And messing around with wheels is a pain in the butt..I sold wheels and tires for a while.. I learned a lot :-)

Last edited by ErikM; 07-31-2018 at 02:41 PM.