Performance Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
Originally Posted by pop.tremuloides
It might do just that....but to quote someone....

" The pop and crackle noises from the exhaust are all thanks to Mercedes spraying extra fuel into the exhaust. Shows how much they care about gas mileage! "

I could care less how MB or AMG tuners on the engine make the sounds...Love them!

However, I would LOVE to know how an "internet warrior" makes a statement that MB is "spraying fuel into the exhaust"

It would be banned in just about every country...and I will be the FIRST to admit that I am WRONG. But this type of hyperbole, in a thread where people are trying to figure out a car to purchase, he/she needs to learn about how vehicles function. Not trying to be a pain in the **** but REALLY....I never knew that MB was circumventing every single EPA or EU standards by "spraying" fuel into the exhaust.

These are the same posts that literally turn people off from a vehicle. It also turns them off from a BRAND!

I'm a Porsche fanatic! Trust me....if the P cars were "spraying" fuel into the exhaust to make a "noise" I would be the FIRST person to call them on the carpet.

My wife and I LOVE the C43 thus far. I will be the first one to admit that I am wrong but if MB (sarcasm) is "spraying" fuel to make the exhaust note the then we will simply walk away.

PERIOD DOT!

EDIT...I would also love to see the fuel line that actually "sprays" things into the exhaust......$20 bucks to show me the plumbing that does just that on the C43!
The fact that you think there's a fuel line spraying in to the exhaust shows your lack of knowledge on the topic and of how an ICE even works. Better get walking back to your dieselgate TDI and head down the road
Old 09-06-2018, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by jonathan358
Dude, what are you trying to say? Your post is just an incoherent word jumble...

All sport car manufacturers have pops, crackles, and burps these days -- they all do so by dumping extra fuel during the exhaust stroke which burns up when it reaches the already-hot exhaust manifold.
Kinda -sorta.
It actually retards timing to cause ignition to occur while exhaust valves are still open which channels more energy through the exhaust and creates more noise out the tail pipe. There is a tiny amount of fuel that gets burned within the exhaust system but it's mostly inconsequential with respect to fuel consumption.

It's not the exact same process as old-school hot rods backfiring. Similar, but not identical processes.
The following 4 users liked this post by Mr. J:
jonathan358 (09-06-2018), NJC63Fan (01-15-2019), pop.tremuloides (09-06-2018), superangrypenguin (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 08:41 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Porsche 996TT and 2017 Macan S, 93 Jeep YJ (too many mods), Audi A5, '05.5 Jetta TDI
Unhappy

Originally Posted by HTXgearhead
Where to start? The contradictions in your own post are hilarious.

Lets adress your reply in order:
You state that you “don’t care how AMG make engine sounds” yet a few lines later you state “if MB is spraying fuel to make the exhaust note then we will simply walk away.” Let’s see if you hold true to your word. Ready to sell your brand new car?

Brand new car?

I was an AMG rep for a Mercedes dealer for 3 years, the pops/bangs are created by adding fuel and removing spark from the cycle so the fuel ignites inside the exhaust (from heat) instead of the cylinder. So my point is correct, I just simplified it to begin with. Raw fuel is combusted by the the heat of the exhaust (pre cat) and travels through the catalytic converter meeting emission standards.

Agreed but there should not be ANY extra fuel put into it?

Since you claim to be a Porsche fanatic, maybe you should stick to their brand? Also, in your post yesterday, you said you were waiting for your 2019 C43 to arrive and “ready to make a purchase” yet now you claim, “love our C43 thus far.” Do you have the car or not?

Yes I am a Porsche person but why would you say that I was and I quote "you were waiting for your 2019 C43" or "love our C43 thus far".....we don't own one. We are researching them...please do me a favor and show me how I am the one to make these quotes you say???? Really??? Unless I have been on some sort of bender, retract your statements. You have ME mistaken for someone else. And to answer your question NO we do not own a 2019 C43.

How did you you think the exhaust pops were made?

POPS can be made from several things.....simply re-arranging the exhaust without having to do ANYTHING with the "extra fuel" being dumped into the exhaust. Heck I can make my Jeep do a similar thing without extra fuel augmentation. I simply wanted to know how MB did it with the C43 because it really is an incredible sound!

Way to make an *** out of yourself. Welcome to the C43 forum.

I suppose that I have to have "rhino hide".....I have that.
Originally Posted by RichardCranium3
The fact that you think there's a fuel line spraying in to the exhaust shows your lack of knowledge on the topic and of how an ICE even works. Better get walking back to your dieselgate TDI and head down the road
\

Hi "Richard".....thanks for the informed opinion. I was simply trying to figure out how MB makes the sounds. And if you were more informed for the "hate" you tossed out about "dieselgate" get your facts straight.

So, sorry for the touchy subject. I totally comprehend how the sounds are made. The reason I asked, and I probably came off as a "Richard" , but I would simply like to know how MB does this. Previously it was mentioned that MB might put extra fuel into the exhaust. If that is do to retarding the timing or something else I would love to know...seriously.

We LOVE the C43...we want to order one and be in "that club". Please do not hate

Old 09-06-2018, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 242 Likes on 202 Posts
A car

Where to start? The contradictions in your own post are hilarious.

Lets adress your reply in order:
You state that you “don’t care how AMG make engine sounds” yet a few lines later you state “if MB is spraying fuel to make the exhaust note then we will simply walk away.” Let’s see if you hold true to your word. Ready to sell your brand new car?

I was an AMG rep for a Mercedes dealer for 3 years, the pops/bangs are created by adding fuel and removing spark from the cycle so the fuel ignites inside the exhaust (from heat) instead of the cylinder. So my point is correct, I just simplified it to begin with. Raw fuel is combusted by the the heat of the exhaust (pre cat) and travels through the catalytic converter meeting emission standards.

Since you claim to be a Porsche fanatic, maybe you should stick to their brand? Also, in your post yesterday, you said you were waiting for your 2019 C43 to arrive and “ready to make a purchase” yet now you claim, “love our C43 thus far.” Do you have the car or not?

How did you you think the exhaust pops were made?

Way to make an *** out of yourself. Welcome to the C43 forum.

Way to be a douchebag. Seriously? This is the sort of crap on the AMG forum?!

I thought I was reading a BMW forum for a moment. Unbelievable.

Originally Posted by RichardCranium3
The guy clearly wants to learn about how this process works, and he may or may not have priorities and beliefs that align to yours, and that's not for you or me to judge. Our job as forum participants is to try and help each other out. Way to roll your eyes and to speak about dieselgate and sh**.

We're better than BMW and Audi owners. FFS man.

At the very least guys, show a veteran some respect. I'm not even American here.

Last edited by superangrypenguin; 09-06-2018 at 10:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AMG C43 3LV6 (09-19-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
\

Hi "Richard".....thanks for the informed opinion. I was simply trying to figure out how MB makes the sounds. And if you were more informed for the "hate" you tossed out about "dieselgate" get your facts straight.

So, sorry for the touchy subject. I totally comprehend how the sounds are made. The reason I asked, and I probably came off as a "Richard" , but I would simply like to know how MB does this. Previously it was mentioned that MB might put extra fuel into the exhaust. If that is do to retarding the timing or something else I would love to know...seriously.

We LOVE the C43...we want to order one and be in "that club". Please do not hate
Yes, that is how these cars make the snap crackle pop (but not make kellogs rice krispys)

The cars convert gasoline into noise. Top Gear (old Top Gear, ya know with Dick, Jeremy and James) revealed this. MB has made these cars such that it drops in gas to be burnt for no reason other than to make noise.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car

You bought an AMG, gas mileage is irrelevant. Drive everywhere in sport plus.
WTF man.

There are people that buy an AMG for the driving experience who give a shi* about the environment. I may not care, and clearly you do not, but that doesn't mean someone with a differing opinion is wrong. That's what is wrong with politics and crap these days. Just because someone disagrees with you does not mean they are wrong. Get over yourself man and respect other people's opinions and beliefs.

Last edited by superangrypenguin; 09-06-2018 at 10:09 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by superangrypenguin:
AMG C43 3LV6 (09-19-2018), NJC63Fan (01-15-2019), pop.tremuloides (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 10:17 PM

Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 C43 sedan
\

How many times are you going embarrass yourself on this thread?

Quote from you on 9/4/18: "I'm a Porsche fanatic! Trust me....if the P cars were "spraying" fuel into the exhaust to make a "noise" I would be the FIRST person to call them on the carpet."

Well, here is a video of a stock 991.2 Carrera with the exact same exhaust pops, made in the same way as the C43. Yet you claim to be a Porsche fanatic? This is a good time to delete your account and start over on mbworld with a new email address.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:19 PM

Porsche 996TT and 2017 Macan S, 93 Jeep YJ (too many mods), Audi A5, '05.5 Jetta TDI
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Yes, that is how these cars make the snap crackle pop (but not make kellogs rice krispys)

The cars convert gasoline into noise. Top Gear (old Top Gear, ya know with Dick, Jeremy and James) revealed this. MB has made these cars such that it drops in gas to be burnt for no reason other than to make noise.
Yes! Angry Penguin! You are correct so please don't take this in the wrong way........

-------

I can tear apart a LY engine in a heartbeat. The principles are the same.

I SIMPLY want to know how MB makes the sounds.

Not trying to be a PITA...but if MB decided to add more fuel...aka "dump fuel" into the exhaust...there would literally an outcry on that. BUT I have NOT seen, from the Mercedes or AMG "techs" that MORE fuel is passed into the exhaust.

I think at this time I need to leave the discussion.

While I don't want to debate semantics.........I really feel that my contribution to this thread is either misinformed or the terms here are misinterpreted.

I am Respectfully bowing out on this discussion.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
How many times are you going embarrass yourself on this thread?

Quote from you on 9/4/18: "I'm a Porsche fanatic! Trust me....if the P cars were "spraying" fuel into the exhaust to make a "noise" I would be the FIRST person to call them on the carpet."

Well, here is a video of a stock 991.2 Carrera with the exact same exhaust pops, made in the same way as the C43. Yet you claim to be a Porsche fanatic? This is a good time to delete your account and start over on mbworld with a new email address.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFVFYWiEd74
Sigh. I have a M3 to sell you.

Yes! Angry Penguin! You are correct so please don't take this in the wrong way........

-------

I can tear apart a LY engine in a heartbeat. The principles are the same.

I SIMPLY want to know how MB makes the sounds.

Not trying to be a PITA...but if MB decided to add more fuel...aka "dump fuel" into the exhaust...there would literally an outcry on that. BUT I have NOT seen, from the Mercedes or AMG "techs" that MORE fuel is passed into the exhaust.

I think at this time I need to leave the discussion.

While I don't want to debate semantics.........I really feel that my contribution to this thread is either misinformed or the terms here are misinterpreted.

I am Respectfully bowing out on this discussion.
Please don't let anyone dissuade you from your beliefs and ideals. I'm a center right person, and I hate how divisive politics is. If you feel that MB is doing something that is not aligning to your values, than by all means, don't buy a MB car. No one should ever judge you for what you believe in. I commend you for learning (not that you should care what I think) how MB approaches and accomplishes this noise thing, but stick to your values. They are important to you so by all means figure out if the car aligns to what you believe in, and if not, then kick MB to the side!

On a personal note, I'm fairly annoyed with how my MB colleagues are representing themselves here. It makes me annoyed to think that I'm about to spend $120K on a car that may be a MB. I certainly don't want to be portrayed in this manner or be associated with it, but that said, this is just an internet forum.

Heaven forgive me if I buy a LS500.
pop.tremuloides (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 11:07 PM

2018 C43 sedan
Sigh. I have a M3 to sell you.

Please don't let anyone dissuade you from your beliefs and ideals. I'm a center right person, and I hate how divisive politics is. If you feel that MB is doing something that is not aligning to your values, than by all means, don't buy a MB car. No one should ever judge you for what you believe in. I commend you for learning (not that you should care what I think) how MB approaches and accomplishes this noise thing, but stick to your values. They are important to you so by all means figure out if the car aligns to what you believe in, and if not, then kick MB to the side!

On a personal note, I'm fairly annoyed with how my MB colleagues are representing themselves here. It makes me annoyed to think that I'm about to spend $120K on a car that may be a MB. I certainly don't want to be portrayed in this manner or be associated with it, but that said, this is just an internet forum.

Heaven forgive me if I buy a LS500.
What are you defending him for? He came here with an attitude. He doesn’t own the car yet. He made some silly comments, received responses from multiple members, and he kept at it.

If you are annoyed and upset from a thread on the Internet, you need to rethink your priorities.

“No one should ever judge you for what you believe in.” What is this? Are we giving motivational speeches on mbworld now?
Old 09-06-2018, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car

What are you defending him for? He came here with an attitude. He doesn’t own the car yet. He made some silly comments, received responses from multiple members, and he kept at it.

If you are annoyed and upset from a thread on the Internet, you need to rethink your priorities.

“No one should ever judge you for what you believe in.” What is this? Are we giving motivational speeches on mbworld now?
I'm not defending anyone for anything. I just would hope that as a fellow participant of MBworld, that we welcome people's questions and thoughts. Not that it matters any but I read your post as condescending, not that you should care what I think.

I try not to be a douche and I hope others don't too.

IMHO he did not come on here with attitude, at all.
The following 4 users liked this post by superangrypenguin:
AMG C43 3LV6 (09-07-2018), GuardianVA (09-07-2018), Mr. J (09-07-2018), pop.tremuloides (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 11:18 PM

I am out on this discussion.

Not worth my time here, it was a question and I apologize if it upset people here.

I'm going to defer to the experts in exhaust notes. Let's leave it at that.

AMG C43 3LV6 (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 12:06 AM

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
AMG C43 3LV6
I'm not defending anyone for anything. I just would hope that as a fellow participant of MBworld, that we welcome people's questions and thoughts. Not that it matters any but I read your post as condescending, not that you should care what I think.

I try not to be a douche and I hope others don't too.

IMHO he did not come on here with attitude, at all.
Dont worry champ, he has been an *** with me as well. I openly confess I dont know much about cars and would like to learn as much as possible through fellow owners of Mercs as much as possible. Almost 99% of posters in here have been helpful or directed me in the right direction to find solutions.

My C43 brings me a lot of happiness. Its sad that it doesnt do it for everyone. Let him be bitter and obnoxious.
superangrypenguin (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 12:08 AM

AMG C43 3LV6
I am out on this discussion.

Not worth my time here, it was a question and I apologize if it upset people here.

I'm going to defer to the experts in exhaust notes. Let's leave it at that.
No need to apologize for asking for questions or help. This is what this place is for. Dont let one or two sad posters deter you from posting on here.
The following 2 users liked this post by AMG C43 3LV6:
NJC63Fan (01-15-2019), superangrypenguin (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43

You've been acting like an ***. Stop badgering people for asking questions, that's how they learn.
I don't give two ****s who you've worked for previously. You are not an expert on AMGs. You are not a skilled tech or even an average MB tech, and you're obviously not an automotive engineer. Your argument from authority holds no weight because your authority is fabricated from whole cloth and overwrought ego.

Be helpful or informative, or short of that, you could at least be entertaining. If you can't manage at least one of the 3 then maybe just keep quiet.

The following 3 users liked this post by Mr. J:
AMG C43 3LV6 (09-08-2018), GuardianVA (09-07-2018), superangrypenguin (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 02:01 PM

2018 C43 sedan
Originally Posted by Mr. J
HTXgearhead, you contribute so much to mbworld. Thank you for answering all of my questions.
Sup Mr. J. Thank you for the praise.

Pop. sent me a PM, we are good now.

Did you read post #18? That is how this started.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:58 PM

AMG C43 3LV6
If you dont press the PE button, is the car like a C43 without a PE ?

Does a PE improve 0-60 speed ?
Old 01-04-2019, 02:00 PM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
2023 AMG EQE 53
The C43 AMG comes with an AMG exhaust, it is better than a stock C300 type of exhaust but it is NOT the AMG Performance Exhaust that costs $1250 in the US. Bottom line is to drive a car with the Performance Exhaust and decide for yourself, to me it's fantastic. It is great even when the button on the console or putting the car in Dynamic doesn't activate the better level sound. If you're going to buy an AMG get the Performance Exhaust.
Who cares about the tech or how they do it, just glad it does what it does. Heck even my wife likes it.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:31 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 C43 AMG
I have it and I think it sounds good. I drive in Sport mode with the PE button pressed most of the time.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:05 PM

Received 133 Likes on 112 Posts
2018 C43 AMG Brilliant Blue Metallic
Originally Posted by Steelguin
I have it and I think it sounds good. I drive in Sport mode with the PE button pressed most of the time.
So do I!
Old 01-04-2019, 08:27 PM

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
GLC43, X P100D, S P100D, CT200H
I dont have the PE but I do have an FI Exhaust.

Previously, while my exhaust was stock, I was able to achieve 11.4km/L on the freeway in eco mode. After FI Exhaust, the highest I was able to achieve was like 9.8 to 10.5km/L with valves closed. I would say overall my fuel economy definitely went down. I do not believe my freeway driving behavior was affect at all by the FI Exhaust.