C450/C43 AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please stop complaining about transmission issues and fix your driving instead.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Malar
I have driven plenty of C43's and non of them did this.
But then again we learn to drive with a manual Car.
For some reason this does not seem to get to his head that there are plenty of C43 that has no issues regarding this at all.

Also I do not know if our mad scientist above realizes this or not, the "resonant frequency" you are talking about is actually your personal resonant frequency. When the car bucks forward once, you get pushed forward and backward really quickly, if you are very stiff as a person (literally), your foot will move with you forward and backward violently as well, causing the car to "bounce" even more using your own word. The bounce is not caused by gears changing from 1 to 2 and so on, the resonance is caused by YOU! On the other hand if you just adjust your seating position properly and you know, use the nerve in your foot to have some control over it, you should manage just fine.

Last edited by munis; 04-11-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:21 AM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
nothing
Originally Posted by Malar
I have driven plenty of C43's and non of them did this.
But then again we learn to drive with a manual Car.
the first car I ever drove was manual with no power steering or brakes but at no point I was able to turn it into a mechanical bull, back then technology was not advanced enough for this fancy feature.

I think it is hilarious that OP started a thread whining about MB customers forcing MB to soften his throttle response to fix a nonexistent transmission issue! Am I crazy or MB trying (and failing) to fix a nonexistent issue is a much worse case scenario than trying to fix an actual issue?
Old 04-11-2019, 12:54 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
2018 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by AMGiggity

And I cannot understand why people here keep calling it jerkiness; it is not, it is switching violently between 1st and 2nd gears and bouncing like a bunny. I have driven plenty of BMWs (M or non M) Audis, Porsche... and non of them did this.
None of them did that because their first gear ratio wasn't even close to the C43's, 5.35...people tend to forget how incredibly short that is, and we should be thankful otherwise our 0-60 times would be much slower
Old 04-11-2019, 05:10 PM

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG Coupe
I mean sure, a lot of it can be driver induced but let's face it. The driver torque request map should account for this. It is bad software...

Good drivers are able to control their pedal anywhere from 0-100%. Your argument that you should be on/off the pedal and "commit" is BS.

The E63S has the same ratio, so no, it is not a gear ratio problem (although the jerk from having a high ratio is what causes the driver oscillation).

Sorry for the self-hate but I feel like Mercedes should have made this car a little less half-assed. Should have spent literally a thousand more for a nice E400 or used C63. Oh well!
Old 06-03-2019, 01:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2021 E-53 AMG (C238)
Same problem

Originally Posted by Schnippy
Ok, I testdrove a lot of AMG's explain me why I only have this problem with the C43 ? The c63, E63S and GT-S don't have that problem when I drove those.
I have the same problem. My 2016 Camaro SS never hesitated. I’ve never experienced any rocking turning a 90 degree curve with any other car, turbo or NA. This lag is annoying and unsafe. Did you ever find out what the real issue is?
Old 06-03-2019, 02:16 PM

nothing
Originally Posted by sweetnsassy
I have the same problem. My 2016 Camaro SS never hesitated. I’ve never experienced any rocking turning a 90 degree curve with any other car, turbo or NA. This lag is annoying and unsafe. Did you ever find out what the real issue is?
brah that's a valid question but you are not going to get a lot of help here; MB owners take it personal for some reason (read above). I test drove/owned M4, M2, 228i, 328i, C63, 2SS, Porsche, etc... but never saw anything like this. I talked to a service adviser and he pretty much said it is what it is, don't do S+ at low stop-and-go speeds.

I personally think if in S+ you press the gas long enough so it is just about time to shift gear, AND suddenly you take your foot off (for whatever reason including hitting a pothole) BEFORE it shifts up, the CPU hits a critical frequency at which it loses its mind and you'll have to up shift yourself.
The following 2 users liked this post by AMGiggity:
Igor Grunskiy (12-03-2020), Skytoproofing (02-11-2020)
Old 06-03-2019, 04:43 PM

Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts
2018 C43
I got a nice headache driving in stop and go this past weekend for an hour in S+. I did learn few things like;

-the car will switch back to 1 gear on crawl when I manually shift to 2nd. Crawling to red light, 2k rpm - manual to 2nd - car sometimes auto down to 1st immediately. It does this at every stop and go traffic I tried.

-when you are in 1st at medium throttle, the car don't let you manually shift to 2nd at 3k rpm. I would have to double upshift to get into 2nd everytime rolling from stop light. Kinda weird as when you are crawling around 1k to 2k in 1st, you can shift to 2nd without double upshift to 2nd.

These are only 2 I noticed. I am sure there are more but you either adapt to your car or don't manually upshift to 2nd lol.

Last edited by stockbmw; 06-03-2019 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:43 PM

2021 E-53 AMG (C238)
This is not normal!

brah that's a valid question but you are not going to get a lot of help here; MB owners take it personal for some reason (read above). I test drove/owned M4, M2, 228i, 328i, C63, 2SS, Porsche, etc... but never saw anything like this. I talked to a service adviser and he pretty much said it is what it is, don't do S+ at low stop-and-go speeds.

I personally think if in S+ you press the gas long enough so it is just about time to shift gear, AND suddenly you take your foot off (for whatever reason including hitting a pothole) BEFORE it shifts up, the CPU hits a critical frequency at which it loses its mind and you'll have to up shift yourself.
I hear you, but this has happened to me in comfort and sport mode with PE on. I drive stick shift as well, and i’m here to tell you that in auto, it behaves like an old lady is driving a stick shift without timing the release of the clutch correctly. When you’re getting into a major road, you need to step on the gas to catch up. I don’t hesitate. The car does. It’s scary and unsafe. All that jerking.. I took it to the dealer the second time it happened. They looked for a code but there was none. They updated the software but it continues to happen at least once or twice a week. It scares the living hell out of me. At least, the dealer didn’t insult me. They told me to bring it back if it continues. I’m going to be honest with you. I don’t drive this car with the confidence I had with my 2SS. I can drive a stick shift without using the clutch from 2nd on, just by listening to the engine. I drag raced in my younger days. I enjoy driving, just not this car.
I almost got hit twice, because the car won’t move fast enough when I step on from a full stop. I don’t think all of 2019 C43 has this problem, but mine does and I’m not happy. The only time I had a problem with my Camaro, it wasn’t shifting correctly, the dealer said it was because of my driving habits. To make a long story short, after some research, I found a bulletin. Some 2016 Chevy models came with the wrong transmission oil from factory. 4 days to completely flush it out and replace. Never had a problem after that.
Back to the Benz, there is nothing wrong with my foot, pedicure or nail polish.
You’re right. This is not normal.
The following 2 users liked this post by sweetnsassy:
AMGiggity (06-03-2019), Igor Grunskiy (12-03-2020)
Old 06-03-2019, 08:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
c43
This. I would only (though rarely) only experience the jerking when driving over a specific set of railways which were on a small hump to make matters worse (which i would always take in 1st because of the traffic lights before said train tracks). Was never too sure if it was a coincidence, or if my foot initiated the issue due to my position vs the bumps. Thanks for confirming my hypothesis.

Originally Posted by mcschan86
I read threads about this about 2 weeks into having my C43 coupe when I first experienced it in this car. I read two extremes of trying to figure out the root cause of this symptom. Now, I have picked a side and moved on. I second that this is caused by the driver because I have adapted to the car. Let me share something; this effect happened on another car even before I had the C43.

I was driving a 200 hp 12 year old TSX. The car was smooth for most of its time but I started to experience similar symptom, at a smaller scale, when the car aged and when it rolled out of ramps that had bigger bumps at the curb. My habit wasn't good as my throttle foot was often hanging in mid air (i.e. ankle above ground, toes putting pressure on throttle). As I rolled off these bumpy ramps, my throttle foot reacted to my body roll, causing the foot to press the throttle on and off until the car stabilized when it was out of the ramp. At that time, my first thought was that my dangling foot was inducing the rocking effect. I adjusted my habit to have my ankle pinned to the floor more; the rocking effect happened less. On the few occasions when it happened again, I was always able to prove that my foot was hanging in mid air.

On the more powerful C43, it happened once at my test drive (S+ mode) when I slowed down on entering a 90 degree turn and sped up on the exit. The effect was much greater than when I was in the TSX. I got the C43 still.
The effect happened again twice during the first 2 weeks of ownership - once after a stop sign and once after a 90 degree right turn. I think I was either in S or S+ mode. On the stop sign, my ankle was not fixed and I let go on the gas when the car sped up more than i expected in slow zones, causing my body and foot to move back and retract from the throttle, then reapplied throttle as my body rolled back forward when the car lost some momentum from previously pressuring less on the throttle. On the 90 degree turn, I didn't go gradual on the pedal. I was used to the TSX for too long when I applied similarly heavy but rather abrupt throttle on the exit.

Based on my xp on this symptom in two different cars and my own initial thoughts that are further confirmed by others here, I'm going to conclude, for myself, that it's driver induced. I now have the C43 for about 1.5 months and have adapted to this throttle. The last time that this happened to me was the times during the first 2 weeks. I now have a fixed point on my throttle ankle and my left foot is lightly pressed against the "footrest". This helped a lot to stop the driver's body from wobbling during the drives.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 C43 Sedan
I put my car in "Reduced engine mode" and the car is much less jumpy. That's my fix. Just go to individual and set it up.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:49 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2019 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by sweetnsassy
I hear you, but this has happened to me in comfort and sport mode with PE on. I drive stick shift as well, and i’m here to tell you that in auto, it behaves like an old lady is driving a stick shift without timing the release of the clutch correctly. When you’re getting into a major road, you need to step on the gas to catch up. I don’t hesitate. The car does. It’s scary and unsafe. All that jerking.. I took it to the dealer the second time it happened. They looked for a code but there was none. They updated the software but it continues to happen at least once or twice a week. It scares the living hell out of me. At least, the dealer didn’t insult me. They told me to bring it back if it continues. I’m going to be honest with you. I don’t drive this car with the confidence I had with my 2SS. I can drive a stick shift without using the clutch from 2nd on, just by listening to the engine. I drag raced in my younger days. I enjoy driving, just not this car.
I almost got hit twice, because the car won’t move fast enough when I step on from a full stop. I don’t think all of 2019 C43 has this problem, but mine does and I’m not happy. The only time I had a problem with my Camaro, it wasn’t shifting correctly, the dealer said it was because of my driving habits. To make a long story short, after some research, I found a bulletin. Some 2016 Chevy models came with the wrong transmission oil from factory. 4 days to completely flush it out and replace. Never had a problem after that.
Back to the Benz, there is nothing wrong with my foot, pedicure or nail polish.
You’re right. This is not normal.
My 2019 does it from time to time. I notice it happens quite often if I roll up to a stop and hit the throttle just as it down shifts to 1st. It's almost as if the tranny is just slow in the transition. Could very well be a software issue. The car adjusts to your driving as it remembers your last shifts. I have since started to not down shift to 1st gear anymore unless I am coming to complete stop for a couple of seconds. That way it doesn't always down shift to 1st every time when I drive in auto.

Like Munis said in his first post, you either have to go all in or very slowly, not middle ground. If I go middle ground, I make sure the transmission has fully shifted down to first gear for a couple of seconds before hitting the throttle. I have had it bounce on me even going all in so I'm taking a guess here.

Last edited by SirJmon; 06-03-2019 at 10:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sweetnsassy (06-06-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 12:00 AM

nothing
there are a lot of possible hypotheses and solutions for this but saying this is a user error is utterly asinine. Here we are talking about a $60k MB, there is no excuse for this rodeo effect, a user should not be able to do this even intentionally.

There is a line separating enthusiasts and fanboys.
sweetnsassy (06-04-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

there are a lot of possible hypotheses and solutions for this but saying this is a user error is utterly asinine. Here we are talking about a $60k MB, there is no excuse for this rodeo effect, a user should not be able to do this even intentionally.

A C300 would have probably suited you better. It is a 60k MB too. Does not have any rodeo symptoms.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:46 PM

2021 E-53 AMG (C238)
70k - 0-60MPH in 4.5 aprox.

The shuddering happens in auto for me. Sport mode, eco off, PE on and suspension 1.
You hit the gas without hesitation getting on a fast speed road and the car shakes like is convulsing until it takes off.
Not good. Other drivers think you miscalculated your possible speed and should have waited for the green light, before turning right, ahead of them. I’m in Florida and it’s legal to turn right on the red light. I need to trust my car’s response at all times.

Mine is fully loaded to 70k. My CLA45 had a lag on first gear, but never shuddered.

This is not the first AMG I drive. Just the first that convulses, LOL. Hopefully, MB will find a solution if more people complain about it.

I’m with you. I’m a car enthusiast and this one, as it is, makes me regret my choice and miss my 2016 2SS.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:01 PM

nothing
Originally Posted by munis
A C300 would have probably suited you better. It is a 60k MB too. Does not have any rodeo symptoms.
I think it is hilarious that you started a thread to complain about MB updating your car firmware unsuccessfully to fix a nonexistent problem. I am trying really hard to show the irony but doubt you can realize it.
sweetnsassy (06-04-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 02:20 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 C43 AMG
I have had my car for 11 months, daily drive it, I use Sport + all the time. I have never experienced this Bucking thing you all are talking about. Not once

Mine is a 2018 Coupe
Old 06-04-2019, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Steelguin
I have had my car for 11 months, daily drive it, I use Sport + all the time. I have never experienced this Bucking thing you all are talking about. Not once

Mine is a 2018 Coupe
We have around 100 guys in our whatsapp group with no such issues. Dunno how to put it otherwise for some people.
Dieseldan9 (06-04-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,936 Likes on 2,628 Posts
2019 C63CS
I'm starting to get the feeling that for some folks their transmission has learned some bad habits, and the reported issues are the result of it. All modern automatic/semi-automatic transmissions learn one's driving style and adapt to it. It takes a few thousand miles and different driving situations for the transmission and the driver to get to know each other so to speak. I highly recommend avoiding stop&go traffic as much as possible during the first few thousand miles. That's not a good situation for the transmission to learn how you drive. My new C63CS is only now starting to feel right after about 3000 miles, coincidentally after I went to flog it on the Nurburgring. I've now had it in pretty much all the modes in various situations and at speeds up to 180 mph. Those with issues might wanna try to reset the transmission adaptations and start over. Not sure if the following procedure is still valid for the latest transmissions, but give it a go. BTW, the adaptions get reset after a firmware update as well, so you gonna have to give it time again to learn.

http://www.mercedesmedic.com/reset-m...-instructions/
sweetnsassy (06-05-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by munis
We have around 100 guys in our whatsapp group with no such issues. Dunno how to put it otherwise for some people.

Aren't they all tuned with JB4?
Old 06-04-2019, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
I definitely think there are gremlins in some of the software builds for the 43's with the 9G tranny.

I don't know how much shorter 1st gear is with the 7G as compared to the 9G, but my C450 never displayed any of the behavior people on here have complained about while my GLC43 did.

The GLC43 was corrected with new ECU/TCU software updates from MB. The weird bucking and non-linear throttle tip-in was not the only issue I had with the GLC43 before the update. The car would also hold second gear in comfort mode under moderate throttle on a cold start. It would hold right up to redline with the oil temp at <60 def F unless you manually upshifted. My car also never had any burbles from the day of pickup.

The software update fixed these issues and generally improved responsiveness in all driving modes. S+ has become much more linear and the car now burbles on the up and downshifts (no PE option on 2017 GLC43). The response has not been neutered in any way. Aside from the bug fixes, the main difference I feel is that it now takes a normal amount of pedal travel to hit WOT in S+.
sweetnsassy (06-05-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 10:13 PM

2019 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by superswiss
I'm starting to get the feeling that for some folks their transmission has learned some bad habits, and the reported issues are the result of it. All modern automatic/semi-automatic transmissions learn one's driving style and adapt to it. It takes a few thousand miles and different driving situations for the transmission and the driver to get to know each other so to speak. I highly recommend avoiding stop&go traffic as much as possible during the first few thousand miles. That's not a good situation for the transmission to learn how you drive. My new C63CS is only now starting to feel right after about 3000 miles, coincidentally after I went to flog it on the Nurburgring. I've now had it in pretty much all the modes in various situations and at speeds up to 180 mph. Those with issues might wanna try to reset the transmission adaptations and start over. Not sure if the following procedure is still valid for the latest transmissions, but give it a go. BTW, the adaptions get reset after a firmware update as well, so you gonna have to give it time again to learn.

I am leaning this way too. I have driven many vehicles and have never had an issue like this. I had a friend of mine drive the car and he currently owns over 30 vehicles ranging from a lambo, McClaren, just about every AMG, porche, you name it. He jumped in my car and hit the throttle hard and the car started jumping on him. He was like "WTF is that"! "I have never had a car do that to me before". "You shouldn't have to learn tricks on the throttle to get the transmission to behave normally."

Might be time for a reset.
sweetnsassy (06-05-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 10:17 PM

2019 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by Mr. J
Aren't they all tuned with JB4?
Just about. I am part of the group. The group doesn't have that many people posting regularly so I'm guessing there are people in the group that have had the hiccups. I have(rarely) and I'm in the group.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:43 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
19 C43 Coupe, XC 60
Originally Posted by SirJmon
Just about. I am part of the group. The group doesn't have that many people posting regularly so I'm guessing there are people in the group that have had the hiccups. I have(rarely) and I'm in the group.
I have had about 3 instances of hiccups, and it was clearly my fault. I knew it as soon as it happened. It has only occured since I bought the pedal tuner and accidentally left it in the most aggressive of settings. Bottom line, it is a driver problem.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:30 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,412 Likes on 2,854 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by w62820616
poor people don't know how to drive a nice car......
Wow, what a pompous **** comment...........you must have a really nice 450 there partner
sweetnsassy (06-05-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 07:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 681 Likes on 536 Posts
c
Originally Posted by superswiss

my 2016 definitely had a weird issue when not coming to a complete stop and not knowing what gear to be in - but that was the old 7 speed..

with the 2019 - i've noticed a considerable difference in transmission behavior in the 1100 miles i've put on t thus far - in terms of improvement. just breaking it in and then learning seems to have made it much smoother

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Please stop complaining about transmission issues and fix your driving instead.