Why the hate of the C43?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by BD-C63
First of all, I have no hate of the C43.

I believe a decent analogy would be that for years, you work hard and save up to buy a Rolex. After much effort you finally can afford it so you buy one so you do. The next month, Rolex buys Timex and decides to rebadge them as Rolexes. You know that you still own a real Rolex but deep down, it just bugs you (it shouldn’t, but it does).

I have no first hand knowledge of the C43’s and understand that they are fine vehicles but when I see one on the road, I don’t consider it to be a “true” AMG. I’m on my second C63 and literally laugh out loud every day I drive it because it is so over the top performance-wise.

Let the lambasting begin!

I went to my mechanic, told him to take the engine apart and put it back together for me. My car is now a real AMG.

Sidenote: Never have I driven the C43 and not giggled like an idiot while driving it. Still trying to tie into the rolex analogy.

Last edited by munis; 10-26-2018 at 12:58 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by munis:
AMG C43 3LV6 (10-26-2018), guhvies (10-27-2018), legendary (11-23-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 01:34 PM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
C43
Originally Posted by BD-C63
First of all, I have no hate of the C43.

I believe a decent analogy would be that for years, you work hard and save up to buy a Rolex. After much effort you finally can afford it so you buy one so you do. The next month, Rolex buys Timex and decides to rebadge them as Rolexes. You know that you still own a real Rolex but deep down, it just bugs you (it shouldn’t, but it does).

I have no first hand knowledge of the C43’s and understand that they are fine vehicles but when I see one on the road, I don’t consider it to be a “true” AMG. I’m on my second C63 and literally laugh out loud every day I drive it because it is so over the top performance-wise.

Let the lambasting begin!
I would say that's an improper analogy. AMG didn't "buy" Mercedes to re-brand it. The cars all start out as Mercedes-Benz' and then AMG does work on them, whether it be building an engine, tuning an engine or whatever. I think it would be more akin to Rolex building a new watch that doesn't cost as much using different parts than they used previously. That doesn't make it any less of a Rolex just a different flavor of one.
The following 2 users liked this post by C43Flyby:
legendary (11-23-2018), munis (10-26-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 01:46 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
2017 AMG C43, AWE Touring, BMC Air Filters- 2015 BMW X3 3.5i (JB1 Equipped)
Originally Posted by C43Flyby
I would say that's an improper analogy. AMG didn't "buy" Mercedes to re-brand it. The cars all start out as Mercedes-Benz' and then AMG does work on them, whether it be building an engine, tuning an engine or whatever. I think it would be more akin to Rolex building a new watch that doesn't cost as much using different parts than they used previously. That doesn't make it any less of a Rolex just a different flavor of one.

As an avid Rolex collector Rolex indeed does make a less expensive watch under the name Tudor and it is on the same level as a regular Rolex performance wise, just priced a bit less- but dont get it twisted, it still costs many thousands to own one.
The following users liked this post:
legendary (11-23-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 01:50 PM

C43
Originally Posted by Lazz83
As an avid Rolex collector Rolex indeed does make a less expensive watch under the name Tudor and it is on the same level as a regular Rolex performance wise, just priced a bit less- but dont get it twisted, it still costs many thousands to own one.
Noted. I didn't even know that, thanks for the info.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by munis
Eh, Lazz um, I know what you are talking about. But it really isn't that much. The sound pumped is just to give the exhaust note some resonance. Also I do not know if you are actually saying the AWE exhaust is superior to the PE exhaust, but incase you are, it really isnt. I have spoken to several exhaust shops before my res delete, and all of them told me the same thing, very few aftermarket exhausts comes close to the build quality of the stock AMG PE. Also the design is pretty efficient. You person who has the PE will see no performance gain by going aftermarket.

Also the most important factor is that non PE cars do not come with the factory burble tune that was made for cars with PE. You can put a titanium exhaust up there, but the sound quality would not match that of a PE. I have seen several C43 running an aftermarket exhaust, the AWE track exhaust included. And it does not come close the factory PE sound in any way conceivable. Not in loudness not in sound quality, not in the burble, bang and crackling flatulence.

No sir Mr. Munis, I am speaking of the stock exhaust that my vehicle came with and I am not a fan of PE simply because MB sez it makes the same power, as the regular non PE exhaust. Sound is not as important as, performance when it comes to this car for me- you could run open pipes on a C43/ C63 and it still wouldn't ring my bell. I spread my dollars in the direction of more performance, If I am paying extra there better be a stated performance gain, as there is with my AWE exhaust, no matter how small it may be.

BTW I grew up with high compression, High performance, American made, Big Block V8 exhaust, that shook the ground and hurt your ears, so I am highly biased thinking this will ever sound anywhere near that. Evan with PE exhaust- that is what I measure exhaust sound by. If I wanted that sound, I would have bought a Dodge Challenger Hellcat and put a on Flowmaster cat back.

I do agree with your statement though, as I have no experience with PE exhaust.

Last edited by Lazz83; 10-26-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Lazz83
No sir Mr. Munis, I am speaking of the stock exhaust that my vehicle came with and I am not a fan of PE simply because MB sez it makes the same power, as the regular non PE exhaust. Sound is not as important as, performance when it comes to this car for me- you could run open pipes on a C43/ C63 and it still wouldn't ring my bell. I spread my dollars in the direction of more performance, If I am paying extra there better be a stated performance gain as there is with AWE exhaust, no matter how small it may be.

BTW I grew up with to high compression, High performance, American made, Big Block V8 exhaust notes, that shook the gournd and hurts your ears, so I am highly biased thinking this will ever sound anywhere near that. evan with PE exhaust- that is what I measure exhaust by. If I wanted that I would have bought a Dodge Challenger Hellcat and put on Flowmaster cat back.
Different strokes for different folks. I need the burbles, crackles and bangs more than anything else. Nothing more funny than people hugging each other as their last moment because they think someone is going to shoot them.
legendary (11-23-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 02:10 PM

C43
. Nothing more funny than people hugging each other as their last moment because they think someone is going to shoot them.
This quote made my day.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:14 PM

Different strokes for different folks. I need the burbles, crackles and bangs more than anything else. Nothing more funny than people hugging each other as their last moment because they think someone is going to shoot them.

Yup agreed, I am not a burble and crackle super fan- my car lost those a while back. I prefer the sound of a high lift cam.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:26 PM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C450, 2019 E63S
What?
Try and read that again, maybe slower this time around.

Originally Posted by sieglo
Your dealer told you that the AMG he was selling you wasn't a real AMG, and you still bought it from him?

Or maybe you are talking about a different kind of dealer. Your post would make more sense in that context.
My vehicle is the C450, which is the renamed C43... wonder if I am now going to get attacked and told that the C450 and C43 are completely different vehicles because they are named differently? Anyways, I went in for service or so and stopped by to say hello to him, at which point the C43's (and other 43's) were already in the showroom. He asked me if I wanted to rebadge at no cost and I said no, and then we got into a discussion about the 43 and 63 which is when he made that comment about 43's being a marketing move to make more money by attaching those 3 letters to the car of which it is really not.

Last edited by NYC365; 10-26-2018 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:48 PM

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
C43 2017
Originally Posted by CFG
I love my C450.

Cletus loves....
being teabagged?
Old 10-26-2018, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,049 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
First off, congrats to the OP on his C43 coupe. Those cars are great and a hoot to drive Plus, the prices for these cars are so ridiculous in Australia, many US-based 63 owners would have sticker shock.

That said, I believe that if AMG badges a car an AMG, that is what it is. Too many people create their own definitions of makes a car a "true" AMG and to some extent that may have to do with justifying the markup over other MB models.

I do like the 1-engine-1-person scenario as these are assembled by seasoned, highly skilled technicians that go through extensive training and practice to become what they are. Just like I prefer a piece of furniture be created by a master craftsman or leather upholstery to be hand-stitched instead of being slapped together in some sweatshop.
I place value on that...

But there seems to be an assumption by some that higher-end AMG's are all assembled in Afalterbach which is not the case at all. The engines are other components come from Afalterbach and many AMG's (like the SL63 for example) are assembled alongside their non-AMG brethren at their usual MB factory locations.
I believe that the main reason for the 43's being dissed is due to BMW's history of slapping the M-label on just about any model, making it primarily a cosmetic make-up effort. 43 and 53 series cars are more than that
AMG C43 3LV6 (10-26-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 179 Likes on 143 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
Why the hate? It's deserved, in my opinion. And here's why:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jalopnik.com/what-the-****-even-is-mercedes-amg-now-1761059932/amp
Old 10-27-2018, 01:10 AM

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
2003 C320 coupe/c450 in Feb 2016
Originally Posted by CFG
I love my C450.
and i just received this letter from a local Mercedes dealer.
"This letter is an official dealer notification regarding your 2016 Mercedes-Benz C450 AMG.
As a Preferred Customers of Mercedes-Benz of Walnut Creek, you can upgrade to the enhanced 2018 Mercedes-Benz AMG C43....
and pay only $131 more per month than you're paying now".

What the F would i want a 2018?? Maybe a 2019 and i'll think about it.

Old 10-27-2018, 07:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Maserati ghibli
Originally Posted by skim7x
Why the hate? It's deserved, in my opinion. And here's why:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jalopni...1761059932/amp
BS! In my opinion the c43 facelift is a real AMG.

I've driven: c43, c63s, E63S, cla45 and A45. I liked the E63s the most and then the c43. The cla45 and A45 are also enjoyable AMG's but the 4 cylinder engine doesn't sound good. The C63 is a car I would never buy, I've got an AC cobra and this car drives like a real animal for a cheaper price..
Old 10-27-2018, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
Unfortunately, you liking the car is not a historical criteria to be an AMG. It baffles me that so many people insist the c43 is a "real" AMG when it's so blatantly obvious that it's a marketing strategy. I mean, it really doesn't even matter because the c43 is still a kick-*** car, "AMG" or not... But to say that it's a true AMG vehicle is a joke. Now that I think about it though, of course there would be a lot of people out there who would fall for this marketing strategy, otherwise it wouldn't be making Mercedes so much money haha.

So I'd say that if you bought your c43 because it suited your needs or that you just couldn't afford the c63s at this point it time, props to you for having a great vehicle and for making the right (and probably more responsible) choice. If you bought the c43 because you just wanted to show off to everyone that you have an "AMG" then I'm sorry, you just don't.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This is like me wanting to name my baby Hoyet for example and then the neighbours coming barking "no no no no no no, you can't name the baby Hoyet, real Hoyets are mascullar, angry and costs 20 cents more and the arms and legs needs to be hand stitched by doctors".

You can't define what the kid's name means. I define it. And that is that.
legendary (11-23-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
Haha that's a different situation... In your example, I could stick an M4 badge on my c63 and it would make sense to you... But it just doesn't,right? But it's ok... I said my piece and hopefully it made sense to some... There will always be others who will disagree or not see the point, and that's okay. Just enjoy your car, we're all car enthusiasts here.

And munis, I do hear your point... Weird analogy albeit, but I get it. And (trying to stick to your analogy but I think it's about to get even weirder) like I said, if you had a had a baby because you wanted a family, congrats... If you had a baby because you wanted to name something "Hoyet" you made the wrong choice..... O_o

Last edited by skim7x; 10-27-2018 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:28 AM

Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 C43 sedan
Unfortunately, you liking the car is not a historical criteria to be an AMG. It baffles me that so many people insist the c43 is a "real" AMG when it's so blatantly obvious that it's a marketing strategy. I mean, it really doesn't even matter because the c43 is still a kick-*** car, "AMG" or not... But to say that it's a true AMG vehicle is a joke. Now that I think about it though, of course there would be a lot of people out there who would fall for this marketing strategy, otherwise it wouldn't be making Mercedes so much money haha.

So I'd say that if you bought your c43 because it suited your needs or that you just couldn't afford the c63s at this point it time, props to you for having a great vehicle and for making the right (and probably more responsible) choice. If you bought the c43 because you just wanted to show off to everyone that you have an "AMG" then I'm sorry, you just don't.
I saw your previous posts, looks like you are a w205 C63 owner, or at least post there frequently.

Before I put in my two cents, how do you differentiate between what is a real AMG and fake AMG?
AMG C43 3LV6 (10-27-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Haha that's a different situation... In your example, I could stick an M4 badge on my c63 and it would make sense to you... But it just doesn't,right? But it's ok... I said my piece and hopefully it made sense to some... There will always be others who will disagree or not see the point, and that's okay. Just enjoy your car, we're all car enthusiasts here.

And munis, I do hear your point... Weird analogy albeit, but I get it. And (trying to stick to your analogy but I think it's about to get even weirder) like I said, if you had a had a baby because you wanted a family, congrats... If you had a baby because you wanted to name something "Hoyet" you made the wrong choice..... O_o
Hahaha. In this case though Mercedes had the baby. And they named it. I just bought the baby.

I swear I have used enough keywords to trigger the CIA into reading this.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:42 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Maserati ghibli

Lol you just explained the 1man 1 engine marketing strategy !

I'm sorry but if the car has an AMG badge then you just got an AMG, for me personally there was not 1 reason to buy an c63s, because you are **** with that car in the winter. And for that money I would buy me a much cooler car although my c43 in Belgium (90K) costs probably more than a c63s in the US/Canada. I'm a car addict and if you compare this c43 with a jag xf 3L,a bmw 340i, bmw 540i petrol you get a good engine but on dynamic way not even close to the c43 so the work of the AMG department on this car is really stunning, I have my car for over a week, I've got 2 friends that also have an AMG, the 1 friend has a GT-S and the other an E63s both where stunned about my car and i'm still in my break-in period, hey both liked the sound of the facelift and my GT-S friend was stunned about the handling when he drove the car on small country roads(but its normal because his GT-S is handling like a truck he said). The E63s guy was very exited about the new rear diffuser, the exhaust tips, and the new interior and his opinion after the drive was that this car was the little brother of his car. But I can understand hat people that own a C63 are jealous about the good comments on the C43.

Last edited by Schnippy; 10-27-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-27-2018, 01:11 PM

Received 147 Likes on 119 Posts
C63s
Is very sad but at the end is all a question of money. You got it, you go for the best, you don´t then you go for a different option

Sometimes the ones who go for a different option will allways be trying to defend and convince theirselves that was the best option, even better than the option they would´ve gone if they could. This has been clearly represented in this post

Kind Regards
Old 10-27-2018, 01:15 PM

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
2003 C320 coupe/c450 in Feb 2016
I also heard by many that CLA is not a real Mercedes. is that true ? haha
Old 10-27-2018, 01:37 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
2018 C43 AMG
As I said earlier, What Non-AMG mercedes outperforms a C43? None. The Reason behind AMG was to make normal everyday mercedes, Faster. AMG could've easily made the C43 outperform the 63...If Mercedes added an AMG badging package to any mercedes, then I would definitely say thats not a real AMG. Also, We're invited to the AMG driving academy for free, If we weren't real AMGs why would mercedes waive the $1895 fee for us? 63 owners are just mad that they get spanked from a dig by a 43 car for a much cheaper price.
The following 2 users liked this post by C43Ayemgee:
AMG C43 3LV6 (10-27-2018), legendary (11-23-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
Originally Posted by C43Ayemgee
AMG could've easily made the C43 outperform the 63...If Mercedes added an AMG badging package to any mercedes, then I would definitely say thats not a real AMG. Also, We're invited to the AMG driving academy for free, If we weren't real AMGs why would mercedes waive the $1895 fee for us? 63 owners are just mad that they get spanked from a dig by a 43 car for a much cheaper price.
Hahahahahahhahahahahahahhah... Just goes to show how stubborn some of you guys are... Keep thinking what you want... I'm not trying to change your mind... We can agree to disagree, but I'm just answering the op's question. I would rather you guys believe what you believe and be happy with you car than the alternative (my real hope is that you're happy with the car regardless of the tagging). And yes I am sad that AMG has diluted their line... But what's done is done.. And all car manufactures are doing it.. Just the world we live in... Pretty soon, everyone will be driving am AMG, M, RS...
Old 10-27-2018, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,049 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe

That's a pretty stupid statement to say the least.
I don't see any arguments from you of what makes a C63 a "real" AMG over the C43. I personally like a C63 better than the C43 (greater fun factor IMO) but other than the engine assembled in Afalterbach that car is build on the same production line as the C43 and likely along C300's. A C43 owner has a properly badged car, access to the AMG private lounge and gets to go to the driving academy (AFAIK).
Making a financial argument is silly because it has no relation to anyones financial abilities. Wealth does not equate to high-end car ownership (well, unless we are talking over a $M).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Why the hate of the C43?