Sponsored by:

Why the hate of the C43?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 05:58 PM

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
AMG C43 3LV6
Originally Posted by mo11
Or stick to how it's been historically, C40 AMG, C30 AMG. It would make it easier to search for parts too, instead of pulling up the C43 w202 from the late 90's. Hey, for as long as they don't start calling it the C-lucy loo, hahaha! That's probably when I'd start "debadging".
I agree. I keep forgetting I have a C205 and not W205.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 amg sedan 2018 4 door
Originally Posted by kevin-L
Man that video just makes me super sad that I don't have the PE, I bought my car off the lot and it was perfect in every spec except PE, and I didn't know how much difference it made at the time...
Im im the same shoe man messed up big time im trying to get a tune for the crackles and pops now... and res delete im b*tt hurt
Old 07-17-2019, 08:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
e 53 amg coupe
yep it is a bit wierd how many dont like these level of amg cos they are 'fake '- a concept only gaining momentum due to ill information / pure snobbery or drivers who really are racing drivers. I bought an e53 coupe but test drove th c43. I thought it was brilliant just a little to small for my needs hence the e53 coupe. The reason i liked the c 43 was that it wasnt a full flown 500 plus horse power with no 4 wheel drive ready to let you kill yourself...especially if you happen to live somehwere it rains or isnt perfect sunshine everyday. The c 43 handled very well and was a blast as you could easily apply 100% 100% of the time. so yes to those who take their cars onthe track and really need to go sideways its not the best car the 63 is. but for the few who arnt world calss racing drivers and want a car to feel great in but not have to consutll the weather forcast or worry about the over 100 miles journey being really uncomfortable this is a brilliant car. Id guess those who do the hating do so, when they've never driven the car as lets not forget most petrol heads dont have the range of motors they're willing to express expert opinion on.

The lack of hand built engine is the laughable reason many dont see it as a pure amg (geuss what machine smake way less errors than humans in manufacturing) or the fact it doesnt insult anyone in the neighbourhood with the noise or that it cant do donuts in the carpark....guess what i grew up a little over the last 50 years and have moved beyond this. This normal person amg is a brilliant step by amg and will serve them very well like the s has for audi. Its called progreess which is why so mnay whinge from varying positons of ignorance.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:55 PM

Received 130 Likes on 83 Posts
2004 E55 K Wagon &. '96 SL500
Or stick to how it's been historically, C40 AMG, C30 AMG. It would make it easier to search for parts too, instead of pulling up the C43 w202 from the late 90's. Hey, for as long as they don't start calling it the C-lucy loo, hahaha! That's probably when I'd start "debadging".
There's never been a C40 AMG. The original AMG C Class was the W202 C36, followed by the C43 AMG with a 4.3 V8. The 43 AMG is a historical badge.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by AMG C43 3LV6
Thanks for explainig the nomeclature much appreciated.

I think the naming should have been based on the number of cylinders, like ours would be a C63 and the 63 cars would be C83. I mean to MB owners, we know and understand whats going on, but the general public would have no idea whatsoever.
Why would Mercedes use that system when they've never used that nomenclature ever? Usually the capacity was the basis for the name, where is wasnt , for example 450 SEL 6.9 or 190E 2.6 , the capacity always followed afterwards.
Using the cylinder number is more a Ferrari thing ie 458 ,488 etc.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:45 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
'19 C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by My Google
yep it is a bit wierd how many dont like these level of amg cos they are 'fake '- a concept only gaining momentum due to ill information / pure snobbery or drivers who really are racing drivers. I bought an e53 coupe but test drove th c43. I thought it was brilliant just a little to small for my needs hence the e53 coupe. The reason i liked the c 43 was that it wasnt a full flown 500 plus horse power with no 4 wheel drive ready to let you kill yourself...especially if you happen to live somehwere it rains or isnt perfect sunshine everyday. The c 43 handled very well and was a blast as you could easily apply 100% 100% of the time. so yes to those who take their cars onthe track and really need to go sideways its not the best car the 63 is. but for the few who arnt world calss racing drivers and want a car to feel great in but not have to consutll the weather forcast or worry about the over 100 miles journey being really uncomfortable this is a brilliant car. Id guess those who do the hating do so, when they've never driven the car as lets not forget most petrol heads dont have the range of motors they're willing to express expert opinion on.

The lack of hand built engine is the laughable reason many dont see it as a pure amg (geuss what machine smake way less errors than humans in manufacturing) or the fact it doesnt insult anyone in the neighbourhood with the noise or that it cant do donuts in the carpark....guess what i grew up a little over the last 50 years and have moved beyond this. This normal person amg is a brilliant step by amg and will serve them very well like the s has for audi. Its called progreess which is why so mnay whinge from varying positons of ignorance.
Ahh this ole' chestnut again lol.

Congratulations on your E53 coupe btw, beautiful car! I actually test drove a E53 and a C63 and wound up ordering a C43 coupe. For the opposite reason you did, (the E53 was a little too big for me lol).

But yeah I think you make some good points. There really is a lot of misinformed folks out there regarding the c43 and the E53 for that matter. I was one of those guys that was at first quick to dismiss the C43 as "not a real AMG". I was initially looking at a Corvette Grand Sport but after sitting in C63 changed my mind (it was after all more "practical" than a corvette, at least that is what I told my wife LOL). But I had to drive an hour out of state to test drive one, found out there were only about 32 coupes in the entire country and then found out by two dif dealers it would take 9-12 months to have one delivered if I were to order one. I did not want to wait that long and overall I was very disappointed. So my wife suggested I test drive the (gasp) c43. I did, and was blown away! I started looking more into the car, reviews/videos etc, and most people really loved the thing as they should.

I started wondering why more people didn't know about this car? I think part of it is that it's still a somewhat new car, at least compared to the C63 which has been out for what since 2008?... and consequently many don't really understand how great a car it is. I think aside of it getting overshadowed by the C63 and it's history, many folks feel as I used to, that it's just a rebadged C300 with a little more horsepower. Not understanding that it has AMG wheels, brakes, steering, suspension, transmission, exhaust and even a AMG engineered and designed engine (albeit not the hand built v8 beauty).

Another reason is, well it is "cheaper". I might have been pissed if I later drove a friend's C43 after I plopped down $11K more for a comparably equipped C63. Yes it is a better performance car, and I actually like the looks of the C63 better, but to me it's not a better daily driver car than the c43 and at least by "my seat-of-the-pants performance", didn't really FEEL that much slower than the C63. To some $11K is nothing...and well worth it. It wasn't for me, and other's may feel the same.

And finally, I think it's what makes an AMG an AMG to some people. To many it's that hand built engine. I personally don't agree with that either but to many, even some C43 owners on here, feel that way. So to them the C43 is a great car, but it's not an AMG and is just a wanna be AMG because of the lack of that hand built engine.

At any rate, it's awesome Mercedes AMG provides so many options and configurations.

Enjoy your new ride!!!
Old 07-17-2019, 07:04 PM

Received 181 Likes on 142 Posts
2017 C43
Originally Posted by AhEmGee
There's never been a C40 AMG. The original AMG C Class was the W202 C36, followed by the C43 AMG with a 4.3 V8. The 43 AMG is a historical badge.
I know there’s never been a c40 amg nor a c30 amg. What I meant by historically is, the numbers usually corresponded to the displacement in liters. Hence, the c36 you mentioned was because of a 3.6L I-6 engine used for that model and a 4.3L v-8 for the c43. The original c63 had a n/a 6.3L v-8. Now that it’s using a bi-turbo 4.0L v-8, I’d rather they call it a c40 amg. And the new c43 a c30 due to the 3.0L bi-turbo v-6.
But, hey... my name ain’t Tobias, so who cares...! Hahaha!
The following 2 users liked this post by mo11:
b6tbfmp (07-17-2019), PFEAMG (07-17-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 04:03 PM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
09 CLK550
I know there’s never been a c40 amg nor a c30 amg.
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/tha...l-inline-five/

It was a weird one..
Old 07-18-2019, 04:40 PM

Received 181 Likes on 142 Posts
2017 C43
Originally Posted by ambit
Yup! And that too had a 3.0L engine...
Old 07-18-2019, 05:19 PM

I know there’s never been a c40 amg nor a c30 amg. What I meant by historically is, the numbers usually corresponded to the displacement in liters. Hence, the c36 you mentioned was because of a 3.6L I-6 engine used for that model and a 4.3L v-8 for the c43. The original c63 had a n/a 6.3L v-8. Now that it’s using a bi-turbo 4.0L v-8, I’d rather they call it a c40 amg. And the new c43 a c30 due to the 3.0L bi-turbo v-6.
But, hey... my name ain’t Tobias, so who cares...! Hahaha!
I get you . Since all Mercs are now turbocharged, they are trying there best to keep the original naming system and are using a rough equivalent number to represent what capacity NA engine could make that power. For most models its sort of accurate....I prefer they keep this system, for now.
I mean Audi have changed theirs and its completely senseless.
A3 45TDI ... A8 55 TDI...it doesn't represent Capacity, torque or power in any unit whatsoever...so dumb.