MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C450/C43 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-amg-216/)
-   -   Why the hate of the C43? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-amg/724625-why-hate-c43.html)

AMG C43 3LV6 10-19-2018 11:19 PM

Why the hate of the C43?

This is something that has perplexed me a lot I have read a lot of articles about the C43 and the surprising comments that seem to come up a lot is just how ugly the car looks. Im not a fan of the sedan mind you, but thats because I wanted a coupe to start with. But a lot of negative comments about the C43 either sedan or coupe really surprise me, whether that be the style of the car or the interior often being referred to as cheap as plastic. I have honestly never thought of it like that even once. If anything I was overwhelmed of how gorgeous it looked.

When I first saw this car it was love at first sight. I was initially looking at the E300 but I felt it was a bit too slow for my liking and a bit too big for a coupe. The C43 was the perfect sweet spot. In Australia the C63s is like $60k more and for me it was never an option. Not to mention that once you start getting into that area there is a lot of cars to consider. For the price of my C43 it wasnt a hard decision at all.

Here is one article, but if you look at the C43 reviews, there is always negative criticism by some posters. Dont get me started about the car being an AMG as thats another bag of worms. lol

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1601133

Surely a lot of you posters that have read reviews that have come across comments in the section really bashing this car down. Im just not sure why?

waisoserious 10-19-2018 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by AMG C43 3LV6 (Post 7581610)
This is something that has perplexed me a lot I have read a lot of articles about the C43 and the surprising comments that seem to come up a lot is just how ugly the car looks. Im not a fan of the sedan mind you, but thats because I wanted a coupe to start with. But a lot of negative comments about the C43 either sedan or coupe really surprise me, whether that be the style of the car or the interior often being referred to as cheap as plastic. I have honestly never thought of it like that even once. If anything I was overwhelmed of how gorgeous it looked.

When I first saw this car it was love at first sight. I was initially looking at the E300 but I felt it was a bit too slow for my liking and a bit too big for a coupe. The C43 was the perfect sweet spot. In Australia the C63s is like $60k more and for me it was never an option. Not to mention that once you start getting into that area there is a lot of cars to consider. For the price of my C43 it wasnt a hard decision at all.

Here is one article, but if you look at the C43 reviews, there is always negative criticism by some posters. Dont get me started about the car being an AMG as thats another bag of worms. lol

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1601133

Surely a lot of you posters that have read reviews that have come across comments in the section really bashing this car down. Im just not sure why?

Its mainly snobs/AMG-"Purists".

Nevermind that the C32 or E55 was just a C320 with a supercharger or the E55 was a bored out 500 with a SC. People always gotta find a reason to say why they're better than you etc.

Edit: Also the C32 and CLK55 had brakes off a S430/S500, with AMG printed on them. Barely anything from AMG is really really "bespoke". The whole 1 man 1 engine thing is just marketing.

AMG C43 3LV6 10-19-2018 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by waisoserious (Post 7581615)
Its mainly snobs/AMG-"Purists".

Nevermind that the C32 or E55 was just a C320 with a supercharger or the E55 was a bored out 500 with a SC. People always gotta find a reason to say why they're better than you etc.

Mind you I have found some comments are made by non-Merc people that literally despise the interior and exterior. Look before someone says who cares, I dont care about their negative comments, Im just confused as to why.

Im not a "car guy" so buying a good second hand car for that money was never an option for me as I didnt want to deal with the headaches of issues that can come with second hand cars.

As I said for the money I spent there wasnt really any other car in that price range that impressed me. I did like the Porsche Cayman, but the price of each option was like blowing my mind away, $5000 for this and $5000 for that. Well in Australia at least. Push button start and keyless entry was $2000 in Australia. In the Merc it came standard. I love my creature comforts and also love the fact that this C43 is a powerful beast.

Schnippy 10-20-2018 03:26 AM

I'm a car man, and I owned decent cars in the past. In my current garage I have a AC cobra and a Maserati Ghibli petrol.

I also buyed the c43 because I needed a T-model. The exterior of the car wasn't the thing that convinced me to buy the car, the interior neither. When I bought the Ghibli I was in love with the exterior and interior.
But why did I buy the c43 above all for the 4-matic system, multimedia systems and engine. In my configuration I love the exterior but it costs me a lot to had it in my favor, I had to take the magno gray paint, night pack and optic pack to have a dark gray matte finish with glossy black elements and multibeam led lights. For the interior I had to take carbon fibre, performance seats, digital screen, bigger multimedia screen and pano roof to have a nice interior this all where very expensive options that made this car cost more than my Maserati that had almost all options as standard.

Also for me the C63 wasnt an option because its also costs 60K more and it doens't have 4-matic... another option for me was the E63s but then the price is a lot higher and I don't like the car but I do love the engine on my test drive.

In my configuration I think I'm able to love my car, but It feels different as to my Ghibli. On monday I can pick up my new car @ my dealership. Once I have driven some miles with it I think I'm going to love it.

My configuration costs me 80K in euro.

AMG C43 3LV6 10-20-2018 04:31 AM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...817bf9b2f.jpeg

Originally Posted by Schnippy (Post 7581662)
I'm a car man, and I owned decent cars in the past. In my current garage I have a AC cobra and a Maserati Ghibli petrol.

I also buyed the c43 because I needed a T-model. The exterior of the car wasn't the thing that convinced me to buy the car, the interior neither. When I bought the Ghibli I was in love with the exterior and interior.
But why did I buy the c43 above all for the 4-matic system, multimedia systems and engine. In my configuration I love the exterior but it costs me a lot to had it in my favor, I had to take the magno gray paint, night pack and optic pack to have a dark gray matte finish with glossy black elements and multibeam led lights. For the interior I had to take carbon fibre, performance seats, digital screen, bigger multimedia screen and pano roof to have a nice interior this all where very expensive options that made this car cost more than my Maserati that had almost all options as standard.

Also for me the C63 wasnt an option because its also costs 60K more and it doens't have 4-matic... another option for me was the E63s but then the price is a lot higher and I don't like the car but I do love the engine on my test drive.

In my configuration I think I'm able to love my car, but It feels different as to my Ghibli. On monday I can pick up my new car @ my dealership. Once I have driven some miles with it I think I'm going to love it.

My configuration costs me 80K in euro.

I initially wanted the grey metallic coat but that was proving challenging to get so I settled on the white.

I didnt think I would like it, but I am slowly changing it to the version I want it to look like and I love it now. I "stole" this pic of a C63 owner and love the way his car looks which is the look I am striving for.

netboy 10-20-2018 12:34 PM

it' ok. they mistaken the C43 as a CLA. haha
actually it happened to me.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...-insulted.html

C43Ayemgee 10-20-2018 01:00 PM

They've mistaken my C43 for a C63....but i had to correct them :o:

MaschioneCazzuto 10-20-2018 01:22 PM

:popcorn:

ryanSTL 10-20-2018 01:51 PM

i agree the C43 gets too much hate considering the all-weather performance, PE sound, and ability to configure the car with luxury or stripped down (value) specs. i have a stripped down C43 coupe that I negotiated down to $52k. It sounds lovely, is plenty fast, and still offers a nicely appointed interior well above most / all BMWs.

I don't think the car visually looks great from the dealer. There are certain perspectives of view where both the coupe and sedan are a bit ugly. I feel my silver color makes it even more bland. Wheel choices from the factory are boring. The lack of choice in aftermarket splitters, sills, etc is a big disappointment for me (coming from BMW).

I think the looks are most of the hate. good for me, because I'd like to get into a new facelifted one with slightly different specs at a value. The new model I think will look much nicer with wheel upgrades. keep the hate coming. keeps prices decent and there aren't many on the road. win/win

nothing else interests me at $50-$60k price point. I keep checking dealer inventory hoping to see more

AMG C43 3LV6 10-20-2018 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by C43Ayemgee (Post 7581867)

Debadge it and most people who dont know Mercs properly will think its a S Class. lol

I saw a beautiful BMW coupe the other day and literally had no idea what it was as there was only an M on the back. Got me thinking about debadging though. That car stayed longer in my head than any other that I was looking around. Had me intrigued.

netboy 10-21-2018 05:02 AM

let me guess. M2

AMG C43 3LV6 10-21-2018 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by netboy (Post 7582309)
let me guess. M2

I am not to good with identifying models, but it didnt look like a M2. I have seen BMWs debadged in the past and knew straight away it was lower class model.

AMG C43 3LV6 10-21-2018 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by C43Ayemgee (Post 7581867)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-CHRO...-/122199728931

C43Ayemgee 10-21-2018 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by AMG C43 3LV6 (Post 7582311)

The interior needs more AMG

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-Black-...kN~:rk:27:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3D-Chrome-C...3711:rk:1:pf:0

E55 KEV 10-21-2018 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by waisoserious (Post 7581615)

Edit: Also the C32 and CLK55 had brakes off a S430/S500, with AMG printed on them. Barely anything from AMG is really really "bespoke". The whole 1 man 1 engine thing is just marketing.

LOL - you sure had to go really far back to complain about AMG cars. The C32 last made in 2004 and E55 last made in 2005. If the parts you list are the only things different on a C32 and E55 you may not know much about what AMG does to the AMG version to increase the performance, handling, sound etc. Additionally, to say "1 man 1 engine is just marketing" would mean the engines are not built that way whatsoever because it's just marketing and not actually done.

DVision44 10-21-2018 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by E55 KEV (Post 7582547)
LOL - you sure had to go really far back to complain about AMG cars. The C32 last made in 2004 and E55 last made in 2005. If the parts you list are the only things different on a C32 and E55 you may not know much about what AMG does to the AMG version to increase the performance, handling, sound etc. Additionally, to say "1 man 1 engine is just marketing" would mean the engines are not built that way whatsoever because it's just marketing and not actually done.

Huh? You must not know that the c43 has all of those same “AMG” performance enhancements. Can you tell me the actual mechanical benefits of the “1 man 1 engine” over factory built? Why would AMG lower their standards and put a factory built engine in their Project One depriving owners of the superior “1 man 1 engine” feeling?

jonathan358 10-21-2018 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by DVision44 (Post 7582565)

"depriving owners of the superior “1 man 1 engine” feeling?"

:rolf:

E55 KEV 10-21-2018 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by DVision44 (Post 7582565)

Huh? You must not know that the c43 has all of those same “AMG” performance enhancements. Can you tell me the actual mechanical benefits of the “1 man 1 engine” over factory built? Why would AMG lower their standards and put a factory built engine in their Project One depriving owners of the superior “1 man 1 engine” feeling?

Please read and comprehend first. I didn't say or post anything about a C43 whatsoever. I also did not say anything about any "mechanical benefits" of 1 man 1 engine only that "marketing" would mean the AMG engines are factory built. Nor did I say anything about the Project One. I simply find it odd to go back 13/14 years to complain about AMG in 2018. I tried to convey to the other member that the C32 and E55 were more than just adding a supercharger.

DVision44 10-21-2018 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by E55 KEV (Post 7582575)
Please read and comprehend first. I didn't say or post anything about a C43 whatsoever. I also did not say anything about any "mechanical benefits" of 1 man 1 engine only that "marketing" would mean the AMG engines are factory built. Nor did I say anything about the Project One. I simply find it odd to go back 13/14 years to complain about AMG in 2018. I tried to convey to the other member that the C32 and E55 were more than just adding a supercharger.

If their are no actual mechanical benefits to "1 man 1 engine" than it is simply marketing regardless of if it's a fact or not... just like the statement "made in the USA"

By the way... the c43 is what's being discussed and the fact that it's criticized and called a fake because the engine is factory built despite all the AMG parts, tuning, etc... maybe you should read and comprehend what that other member posted as he was not "complaining" about AMG... He was making comparison's just as I was doing with the Project One which also has a factory built engine...

waisoserious 10-21-2018 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by E55 KEV (Post 7582547)

13/14 Years was just 2 generations ago. If you count how many generations inbetween the W203 W211 and now than its just 1 generation ago. Is it not relevant?

Also, you mentioning all of those changes done to the C32/E55 outside the engine, arent those same changes worth mentioing in the 43?

Also saying 1man 1 engine is just marketing does not in any way imply that they are factory made and not by hand. It implies that I am saying 1man 1engine does not mean its better. Hand made is not better than machine made. It just sounds cooler.

Originally Posted by E55 KEV (Post 7582575)

Please see the above.

Personally I dont care if anybdy considers it a real amg or whatever. I am just pointing out the ridiculousness of the grips of certain clown members (such as yourself) that demonstrate such a level of insecurity that you guys need to come to OUR forum to say you dont like us. Good job.

unr1 10-21-2018 10:28 PM

If you’ve driven this car you can appreciate the power and speed I think

AMG C43 3LV6 10-21-2018 11:10 PM

I didnt expect to cause an argument here, FYI I think my car is perfect lol.

Oh and I dont care what anyone says its an AMG. Mind you I didnt get it for that reason, I got it because it ticked all the right boxes for me. I call it an AMG sports car and dont really care what anyone says. With that said if it was just called a C43 or C450 I still would have bought it.

The reason I started the thread was because the shape/interior of the coupe and sedan in particular has been criticized by some and loved by others.

Mercedes Hyper car is an AMG car but not a one man one engine car too.

Highly recommend anyone that loves their C43 to watch the below youtube clip. It all but confirmed why I chose this car.

waisoserious 10-21-2018 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by AMG C43 3LV6 (Post 7582823)
I didnt expect to cause an argument here, FYI I think my car is perfect lol.

Oh and I dont care what anyone says its an AMG. Mind you I didnt get it for that reason, I got it because it ticked all the right boxes for me. I call it an AMG sports car and dont really care what anyone says. With that said if it was just called a C43 or C450 I still would have bought it.

The reason I started the thread was because the shape/interior of the coupe and sedan in particular has been criticized by some and loved by others.

Mercedes Hyper car is an AMG car but not a one man one engine car too.

Highly recommend anyone that loves their C43 to watch the below youtube clip. It all but confirmed why I chose this car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu34x5T1c6E

Because the Project One is expensive. To people like kev55, the 43 is not expensive enough. Thats what it boils down to.

AMG C43 3LV6 10-21-2018 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by waisoserious (Post 7582825)
Because the Project One is expensive. To people like kev55, the 43 is not expensive enough. Thats what it boils down to.

In Australia my C43 costs $130k. To get the C63s which is the only other model available costs $175k.

Look if the C63s was not that much different in price I may have considered it but I like that the C43 because of the 4matic is a lot more safer to drive in all weather conditions.

waisoserious 10-21-2018 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by AMG C43 3LV6 (Post 7582832)
In Australia my C43 costs $130k. To get the C63s which is the only other model available costs $175k.

Look if the C63s was not that much different in price I may have considered it but I like that the C43 because of the 4matic is a lot more safer to drive in all weather conditions.

Cause they are petty. The C63 only costs like 70k USD in the US, but my GLC43 cost me about 125k USD here. Just how people are. A C63 costs about 180k USD here as well.