MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C450/C43 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-amg-216/)
-   -   Windshield chips very easily (https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-amg/725374-windshield-chips-very-easily.html)

FreeSpeaker 10-27-2018 03:06 PM

Windshield chips very easily

Took delivery of a 2018 C43 AMG May 31 and now have 3 windshield stone chips . Not cracks as my auto glass shops call then 'pits'.

Pits as they say are not repairable as a crack is. Now, they are tiny and fit within (just barely) the MB lease end windshield chip tool measuring guide.

They are not in driving vision but I see them enough to annoy me.
I drive in the city and very little highway. Had two E550C's before and not one chip and had times when a good sized rock would be flipped up onto the windshield with a loud crack thinking it was coming through - and not a mark.

Now with the C43 AMG - In the city and a pebble and I do mean a pebble would make a slight tick sound and voila I see a chip.

I do recall a while back in one of the other forums I think , members were remarking on the same issue -

Are MB windshields softer, lighter . thinner now and more susceptible to damage?

At this rate, I'll be surprised if I make it to lease end without replacing the windshield.

Thanks all.

ctomsee 10-27-2018 05:30 PM

I’ve been thinking along the same lines. My 2018 C43 sedan has just 7K on it and I’ve already had to replace the windshield and the new one (maybe 1.5K on it) already has 3 chips like the one you describe. My driving is mostly freeway/tollway in urban/suburban areas that are all in pretty good condition. I was really surprised at how quickly what I would have called a minor chip on my old S4’s windshield turned into a 24+” crack on the C43 requiring the replacement.

Chrisk03 10-27-2018 05:51 PM

Yep, I think most new windshields suck. They are manufactured for weight savings and to help in any way they can for fuel economy. My 18 GLC43 also has some pits and I got a small chip/crack with about 1k miles by a friggin pebble like you stated. Luckily it was able to b filled and not in line of site. Had similar issues with a BMW and had to replace the windshield on it b4 selling. I also have an old Corolla beater with 177k miles and original windshield that isn’t perfect, but takes stone hits much better than any new car I’ve had. Because of this, I opted for windshield protection insurance thru my insurance company...I’m sure I’ll use it.

Spaggettio 10-27-2018 07:25 PM

yep same here, when the sun hits it at the right angle its shocking. I do alot of freeway driving but new motorways try to avoid trucks etc but still little pits everywhere.

NYCSoiL 10-27-2018 08:23 PM

Yeah, mine looks terrible as well. I know you can put a protective film on the windshield, I'm gonna try it once my C63 arrives..

netboy 10-28-2018 12:55 PM

i have a 12" crack line on passenger side on C450. I still haven't replace the windshield yet. probably costs me $1000+ I have distronic. I dont want to claim AAA insurance, I worry they going to jack up my premium for next year.

sieglo 10-28-2018 01:02 PM

Had my last car for 190k miles with one minor chip that never migrated.

Had my C43 2 months and had to replace the windshield.

CA400 10-28-2018 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by netboy (Post 7588460)
i have a 12" crack line on passenger side on C450. I still haven't replace the windshield yet. probably costs me $1000+ I have distronic. I dont want to claim AAA insurance, I worry they going to jack up my premium for next year.

I have AAA as well, they have a windshield replacement coverage with no deductible, you can replace as needed. I have that option on both our MB, just replaced my wife’s windshield with no affect on our premium.

My dad is an Uber driver, he has the same option. He has replaced his windshield twice in a year with no premium change as well.

Alex

cjqamg 10-28-2018 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by NYCSoiL (Post 7588093)
Yeah, mine looks terrible as well. I know you can put a protective film on the windshield, I'm gonna try it once my C63 arrives..

My 2017 c300 coupes windshield had around 30 "pits/chips"...very annoying and does seem like a very soft windshield . My 2002 intrepid r/t had less chips and pits and that's 16 years old.

When I bought my 2018 c43 coupe, I had ClearPlex film installed on the windshield. Had it ond for about 5 months so far and has been great. Has prevented all chips so far! Well worth the investment!!

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...5cc60a11ab.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...91429f636b.jpg

MountainFisher 01-06-2019 06:34 PM

C7Chris- I have had my '19 E450 Wagon for three weeks and already have the "pits." Rocks on the road are a way of live in Colorado, but it is frustrating to have this happen on a new vehicle. I usually count on a new windshield every 18 months here, but just learned of this ClearPlex film and was very interested. It looks like you haven't had it long, but it appears that you are pleased with performance. My question is- are you located in a wintery location that leaves your windshield covered in snow/ ice at times? Although I garage my cars, there are obviously times when it will be outside and get snow covered. I would imagine that hitting the ClearPlex with a brush or ice scraper would not end well. Just interested in your thoughts.

cjqamg 01-06-2019 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by MountainFisher (Post 7647458)
C7Chris- I have had my '19 E450 Wagon for three weeks and already have the "pits." Rocks on the road are a way of live in Colorado, but it is frustrating to have this happen on a new vehicle. I usually count on a new windshield every 18 months here, but just learned of this ClearPlex film and was very interested. It looks like you haven't had it long, but it appears that you are pleased with performance. My question is- are you located in a wintery location that leaves your windshield covered in snow/ ice at times? Although I garage my cars, there are obviously times when it will be outside and get snow covered. I would imagine that hitting the ClearPlex with a brush or ice scraper would not end well. Just interested in your thoughts.

Hello!
​​​​​​I live in Southern New Jersey and we do get a decent amount of snow/ice .Since I got the ClearPlex in May for my Z06 and my C43, I have not experienced any snow or ice yet. The car is always in the garage so I will never experience the overnight ice/snow, but I will experience when it snows at work when we see our first significant snow storm .

The stuff is very strong and the research I've done is that is stands up to ice scraping. I would just take it easy when scraping. I will report back here once I get snow and have to use my scraper on it. But I can tell you from May until now, it has saved me big time with pits and chips - and barely any scratches. Just tiny little scratches here and there (barely noticeable) .Well worth it!

jonathan358 01-06-2019 09:19 PM

I haven't had any problems with my windshield and it has been 9 months.

mrtonyn 01-06-2019 09:52 PM

Winshield wipers leave streak marks ?
Any noticeable distortion?
Installation price?

thanks!

cjqamg 01-06-2019 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by mrtonyn (Post 7647614)
Winshield wipers leave streak marks ?
Any noticeable distortion?
Installation price?

thanks!

Wipers have been fine - but I have had issues with wiper chatter before and after the ClearPlex. I purchased Brooshoo wipers from AliExpress and they've been much better than the OEM Bosch's.

No distortion at all...Crystal clear can't even tell there's a film on there. You have a slight effect when wearing polarized sunglasses (extremely minor, but you see a small effect)

Installation price will vary by installer - typical price I've seen is around 300-350 installed.

Well worth it!

ACSchnitzersprt 01-08-2019 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by C7Chris (Post 7647627)
Wipers have been fine - but I have had issues with wiper chatter before and after the ClearPlex. I purchased Brooshoo wipers from AliExpress and they've been much better than the OEM Bosch's.

No distortion at all...Crystal clear can't even tell there's a film on there. You have a slight effect when wearing polarized sunglasses (extremely minor, but you see a small effect)

Installation price will vary by installer - typical price I've seen is around 300-350 installed.

Well worth it!

I have extreme light sensitivity and have to use polarized sunglasses. This may sound weird, but could you take a photo with polarized glasses between the camera and the windshield to try and post what the affects are- I am very interested in this film, but the polarization effect on rear windshields bug me (the dots).

RichardCranium3 01-08-2019 11:45 AM

Agreed - windscreen glass pits wayyy to easy these days. I bought a 5 year glass package when I bought my car. I'm hoping for a nice big chip/crack soon so I can get a free replacement.

foxberry 01-08-2019 02:49 PM

I'm on my 2nd windshield, first one got a full crack from a stone - this new one already has a few very small chips...super annoying because they are right in my line of sight.

Star4life 01-10-2019 02:52 PM

up in michigan here. yep had to have a star fixed already. and multiple little dings on windshield. and paint. its annoying for sure. clear ppf on whole front of next car. lol

netboy 01-11-2019 12:24 PM

just got a quote from a Mercedes dealer. my c450 has distronic, so they have to calibrate the camera too. 1774$ to replace the windshield ! parts: 1051$ labor 636$.

ACSchnitzersprt 01-11-2019 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by netboy (Post 7651529)
just got a quote from a Mercedes dealer. my c450 has distronic, so they have to calibrate the camera too. 1774$ to replace the windshield ! parts: 1051$ labor 636$.

Gees. and I thought a heads up display windshield was bad! Now you've got me wondering... If the windshield has the Distronic components, could someone retrofit distronic to their vehicle?

cjqamg 01-11-2019 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by ACSchnitzersprt (Post 7648822)
I have extreme light sensitivity and have to use polarized sunglasses. This may sound weird, but could you take a photo with polarized glasses between the camera and the windshield to try and post what the affects are- I am very interested in this film, but the polarization effect on rear windshields bug me (the dots).

Hey AC-

I tried taking a pic and nothing is showing up/showing the effect .

It is extremely minor...it's a tiny rainbow effect that you see every once in a while at certain angles. Does not distract at all and barely noticeable. Just wanted to give heads up. It's totally worth it!

It is no where near the dot effect like the factory windshield tint.

Chrisk03 01-11-2019 11:25 PM

Hey C7C,
Where in SJ did you get this done? I'm in the Philly/SJ area, as well, and may want to get this on my windshield.

Thanks!

cjqamg 01-11-2019 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisk03 (Post 7652043)
Hey C7C,
Where in SJ did you get this done? I'm in the Philly/SJ area, as well, and may want to get this on my windshield.

Thanks!

https://tintdontsquint.com

All Pro Window Tint, LLC...

Not sure if he has any ClearPlex at the moment. he's located in Wilmington & Middletown, DE....(Dorian) he really is the best! I have been going to him for years now. If you reach out to him let him know Chris Q recommended you.

Chrisk03 01-11-2019 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by C7Chris (Post 7652052)
https://tintdontsquint.com

All Pro Window Tint, LLC...

Not sure if he has any ClearPlex at the moment. he's located in Wilmington & Middletown, DE....(Dorian) he really is the best! I have been going to him for years now. If you reach out to him let him know Chris Q recommended you.

Awesome thanks, and I will mention you recommended. Have you gotten regular tint from him, as well? I will probably get my fronts done to match the rest of the car sometime soon. I'm pretty OCD so it usually takes me forever to decide on something, so recommendations are always appreciated. :y

tmoneyC450amg 01-12-2019 12:47 PM

Had my C450 for 3.5yrs, no chips or cracks yet, although there's been a few times I swear I would get a crack because I take this thing up to 140mph on the jersey turnpike when the coast is clear and sometimes I get a this loud CRACK!! from road debris and I would swear my windshield is cracked but no...all good, so far..