MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C450/C43 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-amg-216/)
-   -   AMR tune, do or do not (https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-amg/732015-amr-tune-do-do-not.html)

Lachoufe 01-05-2019 10:04 AM

AMR tune, do or do not

Hey guys,

Just want advice on this,

Debating on 2 things

1- eurocharged tune or amr tune for 375$ more
2- waiting for warranty to end before tuning and using my dinan sport in the meantime.

Keep in mind my car is my office, i cant afford downtime and need to have a really reliable car.

Let me know your thoughts

Thanks for the help

Dieseldan9 01-05-2019 11:10 AM

if u have the money get the AMR so you can get the added special features

but get ready for war on this thread let me get my popcorn

annnnddddddd GO

Lachoufe 01-05-2019 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Dieseldan9 (Post 7646368)
if u have the money get the AMR so you can get the added special features

but get ready for war on this thread let me get my popcorn

annnnddddddd GO

What about the warranty and reliability after a tune ?. Maintenance etc ?

ckay 01-05-2019 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lachoufe (Post 7646385)
What about the warranty and reliability after a tune ?. Maintenance etc ?

I wouldn’t tune it with those concerns.

Lachoufe 01-05-2019 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by ckay (Post 7646414)

I wouldn’t tune it with those concerns.

I dont mind that the warranty doesnt cover engine etc just care the car ia reliable and dont have to worry about CEL all the time and having to bring the car to the garage.

Thanks for your help

Dieseldan9 01-05-2019 12:38 PM

I have heard some people having issues with both companies but those few and far between.

MUNIS had to buy a new ecu after it was bricked by AMR

You have to take that risk when tuning, me I prefer to go piggyback but I am also giving up power and additional features.

I know amr has amazing customer support....call them and let them know your concerns

CA400 01-05-2019 12:59 PM

I would reach out to each company and get all your questions answered directly from them. Do your own homework, read threads, talk to people who have been tuned. There are too many opinions on here both good and bad for both companies. I'm AMR tuned and have gotten great customer support from them when needed. My car is much stronger, responsive and I now have pops and crackles, something I didn't have before, makes my car tons more fun to drive.

Alex

b6tbfmp 01-05-2019 05:13 PM

I am also AMR tuned with the RV3.1 version and am very happy. As Alex said, do your hw. Both are great companies and offer great support. My only advice is to verify at the dealer if your car has the fuel software update done before you tune your car.

BMS 01-05-2019 05:16 PM

Ditch Dinan, get a JB4, keep same benefit of being able to remove without a trace, with as much power as the flash maps offer. ;)

Mr. J 01-06-2019 11:39 AM

As far as putting down power goes, the JB4 meets or exceeds the results of the 2 big ECU tuners on here and users have provided slips to prove it.

Star4life 01-06-2019 02:28 PM

honestly there is always some risks when tuning a car. expect the possibility of a cel at some point since a tune is pushing the limits of the stock parameters. generally it will be nothing large can be cleared and remedied quickly. mercedes engines are very strong and are generally sand bagged power wise to keep an order within their models as awd should get to 60 faster than a rwd car with similiar power given traction is an issue in most daily driving situations with 400-500hp.

either way, i really like the jb4 as a tune option as you can easily go back to the stock tune for "daily" driving or when you want the best fuel economy. or you get get into pre set maps for easy power adding. and if you ever have the time can even start to make your own boost profile. with the euro or amr tune thats what you get all the time. its consistent, its there, its powerful. but most with jb4 have been getting similar or better times to 60 and 1/4 so it is hard to justify the extra cost. from what i have seen the euro or amr tunes have been more consistent from the line but once you get into the higher gears they seem to be similar. if you have a good custom map on jb4 though i don't think anyone wishes they would have gone the full tune route for more money.

i run jb4 and would not do it any other way. my car is my daily and needs to work as well.

GuardianVA 01-07-2019 11:48 AM

Some people have had good experiences with AMR and others have had bad experiences with AMR. They respond quickly to inquiries, but don't expect them to actually tell you anything in those responses. They love to hide behind the "that's proprietary" line to avoid disclosing to people what they are doing to the vehicle. They will not share data logs, which should be a huge red flag. They will not answer even basic questions about some of the "features" they add with their tune, i.e. burnout mode. They have something to hide, especially by not sharing data logs. You should ask yourself: what are they trying to hide, and why? They have outright lied on a different forum and have posted inaccurate/false information here on MBWorld, so that should be something you should consider as well. I debated on even responding to this thread, as there is ample discussion on this forum, good and bad, about the various tunes/tuners for the C43. However, I think that when people ask questions like this, they deserve answers that give them the broadest view of the company they are potentially planning to trust their vehicle to....and personally, I wouldn't trust my vehicle with AMR.

Lachoufe 01-07-2019 02:02 PM

I guess im a wuss and exactly the type of customer i hate to deal with,

I want everything with no risk. I dont have 20k to drop a new engine if i blow it out.

I want more performance without any risk. Heard good things on amr and euro but **** happens i know.

I cant afford to have downtime with my car but ill loose a lot of money. I want the most performance for the less worries if that makes any sense, jb4 seem to be a good options, but at the same time i found it hard to believe a piggy back is as fast as a full tune, i believe it but find it strange to a point i get concerned about how they achieve this without failing the ecu.

Tuning makes more sense for me but also scare me the most. Its not $$ its reliability.

Thanks for all the feedback, im really not decided yet... So many different opinions and options
Wish we had a OEM tune lol

b6tbfmp 01-07-2019 02:20 PM

Your apprehension is totally understandable. If you want safe reliability go with a standard piggyback like Dinan or BMS. They are great for the price and if you feel the need to turn the tables, it allows you to do so. There is also basic mild tunes that the tuners provide via obd2 port.

RichardCranium3 01-07-2019 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Lachoufe (Post 7648138)
I guess im a wuss and exactly the type of customer i hate to deal with,

I want everything with no risk. I dont have 20k to drop a new engine if i blow it out.

I want more performance without any risk. Heard good things on amr and euro but **** happens i know.

I cant afford to have downtime with my car but ill loose a lot of money. I want the most performance for the less worries if that makes any sense, jb4 seem to be a good options, but at the same time i found it hard to believe a piggy back is as fast as a full tune, i believe it but find it strange to a point i get concerned about how they achieve this without failing the ecu.

Tuning makes more sense for me but also scare me the most. Its not $$ its reliability.

Thanks for all the feedback, im really not decided yet... So many different opinions and options
Wish we had a OEM tune lol

While I have no problem paying for quality, I do have issue with paying orders of magnitude more to get the same thing. It's a nice treat going to a great restaurant for an $80 steak, but I can literally make the exact same thing at home for $14. Alas, I don't have the technical expertise to develop a piggy or flash tune, and here we are.

There are always going to be risks. The squeakiest wheels, good or bad, are always the loudest. Understanding there are risks and that it's impossible to quarantine every conceivable issue, I threw out the 2 or 3 loudest preachers/naysayers on both ends of the spectrum, waited for more data points, considered overall costs, ease of getting what I wanted, considered the plan if an issue comes up, and dove in. I'm nowhere near a tuner and didn't want to deal with downtime to ship ECU, plus wanted to minimize the odds of potential warranty flagging. I refused to pay $2k+ when the JB4 was besting the flashes for 1/5th the price. Burger has a long history with BMWs, so I had no issue with however they accomplish their gains via piggy vs. flash. I was all-in with APR on my Audi and had no issues with their flash tune and K04 upgrades. They're both accomplishing the same thing, whether it be forcefully flashing the ECU and manipulating values, or piggy backing and tricking the ECU on the same parameters. (before others chime in, yes, that's an oversimplified way of looking at it, but the concept stands). In the end, I got everything I wanted, Burger got everything they wanted, and I had an extra $1700 to blow on dumb car stuff that I wouldn't have had a I gone another route. If AMR has everything you want for what they're asking in return, then you have your answer.

j0hn galt 01-07-2019 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Lachoufe (Post 7646312)
Hey guys,

Debating on 2 things

2- waiting for warranty to end before tuning and using my dinan sport in the meantime.

Keep in mind my car is my office, i cant afford downtime and need to have a really reliable car.

Thanks for the help

I just did an AMR tune today for my C400 and I’m more than impressed.

evoi19 01-07-2019 10:23 PM

All your concerns are valid and you have every right to have a ton of questions. I personally like piggy backs because of what others have mentioned: ease of use, different maps, can go back to stock etc.

You can always go the piggy back route and if you don't like it, you can sell it and go with a tune. I'm sure it'd sell pretty quick on here. :)

Chrisk03 01-07-2019 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by evoi19 (Post 7648524)
All your concerns are valid and you have every right to have a ton of questions. I personally like piggy backs because of what others have mentioned: ease of use, different maps, can go back to stock etc.

You can always go the piggy back route and if you don't like it, you can sell it and go with a tune. I'm sure it'd sell pretty quick on here. :)

This +100. I want a tune, as well, but am pretty concerned about reliability/nothing going wrong/warranty. That is just not realistic, if honest with ones self. If you take the plunge, you take the risk.

IMO, that only leaves Renntech for me as far as a flash tune to allay my concerns as much as possible, but it's also $2200. So, if I decide to take the plunge, I'll probably go JB4 first (and maybe last) to see how it goes and go from there. As evoi said, there will probably be plenty of people that will buy the JB4 if it's not to your (my) liking.

Good luck!

Dieseldan9 01-08-2019 07:06 AM

I have had VRtuned , JB1 and am now going JB4 when I finally sell my old tune.

IMO you will be fine with a JB4, I have read a ton of threads and I can not find any major issues with there tune.

The car can take these tunes all day and make 80-100HP all day.

Patton250 01-21-2019 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Lachoufe (Post 7646312)
Hey guys,

Debating on 2 things

Thanks for the help

What did you decide? I am in the exact same position as you. I drive 40,000 miles a year in my car and I have a certified preowned so it’s completely under warranty. I very much want to do a tune however I have zero time for it to break down or go into limp mode in the middle of nowhere. Or worse end up with a bricked ECU. So many options here and so many opinions. It’s painful. After reading this thread I had to take some Advil. LOL

Patton250 01-21-2019 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dieseldan9 (Post 7648676)
I have had VRtuned , JB1 and am now going JB4 when I finally sell my old tune.

IMO you will be fine with a JB4, I have read a ton of threads and I can not find any major issues with there tune.

The car can take these tunes all day and make 80-100HP all day.

The JB4 tune does not remove the max speed limiter right?

Dieseldan9 01-21-2019 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Patton250 (Post 7660303)

The JB4 tune does not remove the max speed limiter right?

Correct

Patton250 01-21-2019 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dieseldan9 (Post 7660337)
Correct

well that kinda sucks.

Thanks man.

Star4life 01-21-2019 11:23 PM

i can increase your max speed limiter to 155 mph if you get jb4. i have been doing it for all the jb4 guys. depeding where you live it can be pretty cheap. pm if interested. cost of speed limiter increase as well as jb4 is less than any tune and can be fully turned off which is nice fo rlong trips where gas mileage is important.

MarcusDubya77 01-23-2019 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Star4life (Post 7660506)
i can increase your max speed limiter to 155 mph if you get jb4. i have been doing it for all the jb4 guys. depeding where you live it can be pretty cheap. pm if interested. cost of speed limiter increase as well as jb4 is less than any tune and can be fully turned off which is nice fo rlong trips where gas mileage is important.

I will be PMing you soon, hopefully...