MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C450/C43 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-amg-216/)
-   -   Rolled fenders? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-amg/732302-rolled-fenders.html)

CClement 01-08-2019 09:09 AM

Rolled fenders?

Has anyone ever rolled their fenders? If so, thoughts? I'm looking to get 10mm extra clearance and was told that
rolling up to 10mm is fairly easy and safe in terms of not risking any paint cracking. I'm not sure what to believe though.

alexasa 01-08-2019 09:58 AM

you're talking about pulling fenders.

rolling fenders usually only applies to the front of the car and simply folds the metal located in the wheel arch flat against the exterior face of the fender. The fold is in place to give more structural integrity to the area.

This will not net you additional clearance but will remove/reduce rubbing on inner fender.

pulling is rolling and then tugging at the material to increase clearance and I would not recommend it as it usually results in waviness and unevenness from side to side.

CClement 01-08-2019 10:06 AM

This is from the bodyshop that does it:
  • "This service can only "roll" the inner lip inwards all the way flush to provide maximum inner fender clearance."
No, I'm not talking 'pulling' fenders. I understand that the inner arch is rolled so it's flat against the exterior face but by doing so, it actually will net me additional
clearance. From my calcs, looks like 9-10mm roughly. "provide maximum inner fender clearance".

Thanks.

MarcusDubya77 01-10-2019 03:50 AM

Rolling fenders DOES yield more clearance, albeit not 10mm, in order to prevent rubbing. It is based upon the offsets of the wheels just how much clearance is added.

Star4life 01-10-2019 02:55 PM

nt to mention the sealant that is in that roll will crack out when they mash it flat. i believe our fenders are alum so at least they wont rust but they will oxidize and it may eventually show. did you lease or buy your car? either way, in my opinion on a newer car like this why would you do this? you will either ruin it for you long term or ruin it for someone else.

CClement 01-10-2019 06:10 PM

The only reason I would do this is if I have to. I have a 3 degree negative camber lowered on h&r vtfs and am going through tires quickly. I'm likely using adjustable arms to get the camber where it should be however by making that correction I will rub the fender in the rear. Just wondering if this might be a solution. That being said, I'm now being told that it's likely a toe issue and that running a negative camber like I have may not be the main cause of my tire wear. I'm a little confused as I seem to be getting conflicting information depending on who I speak to about it.

alexasa 01-10-2019 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by CClement (Post 7651026)
The only reason I would do this is if I have to. I have a 3 degree negative camber lowered on h&r vtfs and am going through tires quickly. I'm likely using adjustable arms to get the camber where it should be however by making that correction I will rub the fender in the rear. Just wondering if this might be a solution. That being said, I'm now being told that it's likely a toe issue and that running a negative camber like I have may not be the main cause of my tire wear. I'm a little confused as I seem to be getting conflicting information depending on who I speak to about it.

There's nothing to roll in the rear.

CClement 01-10-2019 06:34 PM

Well I guess that settles it haha.