2019 Wagon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 09:18 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
BMW
2019 Wagon

Hi everyone!

Didn’t realize that Mercedes brought the C43 Wagon to Canada for 2019 until about a month ago. Boy was I happy when I saw that!!!!
I’m in the market for the new car and I love wagons. Looks like C43 is the only sporty wagon you can get in Canada. I’m not sure how many they sold already as I don’t think too many people like wagons.
Had a couple of questions to the wagon owners or anyone who knows…
In which plant are wagons made?
How long is the wait for the delivery?
Are there any options to add a trailer hitch (I know you can get it in Europe, but do not see it on the Mercedes site)?
Do they come with runflat tires?
What’s the mileage you get on a tank of gas (can you go over 700 km highway driving)?

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2019, 05:30 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 AMG C43 T
I have the 2018 wagon. In Norway estate/wagon's have been much more popular than i.e. USA, but now everyone wants SUV's...

Since I live in Norway, all my answers may not be relevant for you.

In which plant are wagons made? - Don't know.
How long is the wait for the delivery? - I waited 5 months for mine, but that was in 2017.
Are there any options to add a trailer hitch (I know you can get it in Europe, but do not see it on the Mercedes site)? - I see there are very few alternatives regarding choosing equipment in Canada. Strange if it's not available there, I have it on mine. Maybe you can special order it?
Do they come with runflat tires? - Mine didn't, it came with Dunlop Sportmaxx non-runflats, luckily...
What’s the mileage you get on a tank of gas (can you go over 700 km highway driving)? - This may be the only really relevant answer...: I have driven mine as low as 0,65 l/10 km / 36,2 mpg. Just following traffic around 80 km/t / 50 mph. In higher speeds like 120 km/t / 75 mph you can expect around 27-28 mpg. 700 km shouldn't be a problem on highway without very spirited driving.
The following users liked this post:
buco (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 01:53 PM

BMW
Thank you very much for your reply Hlieberg! I will be going to see the dealer soon to figure this out.

I like driving in a "spirited" way and only SUV i would consider is Porsche Macan, but C43 is much better value.

Thanks again!
Old 01-17-2019, 06:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
'20 C43 Wagon Cavansite Blue
Just Ordered my C43

I, too, only found out MB was selling a C43 wagon in Canada. I have since put in an order - this past Saturday.

I was getting the itch to replace my '13 GLK250. The availability of a sub 5 second Merc wagon was the all the push I needed to run to a dealer and say "shut up and take my money!"

I don't have a specific allocation yet, but my sales guy said I have an April production date.

They are run flats Probably explains why so many reviewers comment on the harsh ride. Getting the blacked out 19s regardless. Should look awesome with the canvasite blue and night package.

Obviously, I can't comment the fuel economy yet. I can give the email of my sales guy who just switched into a C43 wagon for his daily driver.

From my research, all Merc wagons are made in Germany either Bremen or outside Stuttgart.

The dealer said a trailer hitch was a no go with the diffuser. Shame for me because I have a Thule bike rack I now need to part with.

Last edited by RevengeTO; 01-17-2019 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:41 AM

2018 AMG C43 T
Originally Posted by RevengeTO
They are run flats Probably explains why so many reviewers comment on the harsh ride. Getting the blacked out 19s regardless. Should look awesome with the canvasite blue and night package.

The dealer said a trailer hitch was a no go with the diffuser. Shame for me because I have a Thule bike rack I now need to part with.
I would definitely get rid of those runflats... My last C-Class had runflats. Of some reason you get runflats when you order a standard C-Class with AMG sports package. The C43 was a more pleasant drive, even with 1" bigger wheels and much firmer suspension.

The dealer is wrong about the trailer hith. On the pre-facelift the car came with standard diffuser if you ordered it with a trailer hitch. But it doesn't seem like this is a problem on the new one. Just have a look at this one, which is for sale here in Norway: https://www.finn.no/car/used/ad.html?finnkode=137673901

Here's the pre-facelift without trailer hitch: https://www.finn.no/car/used/ad.html?finnkode=137597993
Here's the pre-facelift with trailer hitch: https://www.finn.no/car/used/ad.html?finnkode=137156354 and: https://www.finn.no/car/used/ad.html?finnkode=137231109

Old 01-18-2019, 07:49 AM

Trailer Hitch

Originally Posted by hlieberg
I would definitely get rid of those runflats... My last C-Class had runflats. Of some reason you get runflats when you order a standard C-Class with AMG sports package. The C43 was a more pleasant drive, even with 1" bigger wheels and much firmer suspension.

The dealer is wrong about the trailer hith. On the pre-facelift the car came with standard diffuser if you ordered it with a trailer hitch. But it doesn't seem like this is a problem on the new one. Just have a look at this one, which is for sale here in Norway: https://www.finn.no/car/used/ad.html?finnkode=137673901

Here's the pre-facelift without trailer hitch: https://www.finn.no/car/used/ad.html?finnkode=137597993
Here's the pre-facelift with trailer hitch: https://www.finn.no/car/used/ad.html?finnkode=137156354 and: https://www.finn.no/car/used/ad.html?finnkode=137231109

I stand corrected. The dealer did mention you could get the ball trailer hitch. Since that doesn't help my situation with the bike rack, I forgot about the whole thing and started worrying about selling my soon to be useless bike carrier.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:54 AM

2018 AMG C43 T
Originally Posted by RevengeTO

I stand corrected. The dealer did mention you could get the ball trailer hitch. Since that doesn't help my situation with the bike rack, I forgot about the whole thing and started worrying about selling my soon to be useless bike carrier.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but you do get bike racks to mount on the "ball trailer hitch"? These are often used in Norway: https://www.thule.com/nb-no/no/bike-rack
Old 01-18-2019, 08:03 AM

Trailer Hitch - Bike Racks

My current bike carrier fits in the 1"/2.5 cm square connector. I like that style because it's completely out of the way. To be honest, there's probably enough room in the back with the seats down that the few occasions where the bike carrier would be needed is slim to none.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:14 PM

BMW
Factory pop out hitches are very rare in North America. We typically get hard mount hitch receivers which can be used to mount bicycle carrier. And these bike carriers don’t need to have a licence plate holder or turn signals. First time I saw this I thought the guy had an illegal bike carrier because his plate and turn signals were pretty much blocked with the stack of 3 bicycles!

I pull a small trailer with my car now and would like to be able to do the same with the C43.
I will be going to see a dealer sometime in the end of Feb / beginning of March in hopes of making a deal for the C43 wagon.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:43 AM

2018 AMG C43 T
Originally Posted by buco
Factory pop out hitches are very rare in North America. We typically get hard mount hitch receivers which can be used to mount bicycle carrier. And these bike carriers don’t need to have a licence plate holder or turn signals. First time I saw this I thought the guy had an illegal bike carrier because his plate and turn signals were pretty much blocked with the stack of 3 bicycles!

I pull a small trailer with my car now and would like to be able to do the same with the C43.
I will be going to see a dealer sometime in the end of Feb / beginning of March in hopes of making a deal for the C43 wagon.
The "pop out hitches" can be used exactly as a hard mount hitch. Regarding the licence plate this should always be visible in Norway, so most bike carriers I've seen here have this.
I definitely don't like the hard mount hitch, doesn't look good. I only use my trailer hitch when pulling up my boat etc.

Good luck!
Old 02-04-2019, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 4matic
I got excited too when I heard that the C43 with the face lifted front end is available in Canada. The wagon looks really nice, though I wish the Shooting Brake would make it here, and it’s such a rare sight and I don’t like SUVs and the sedans are all too common, especially when the all the sedans in the Mercedes lineup (except for the A-class) are Russian doll versions of each other.
All dealerships in Ontario has anywhere from 1 to 3 C43 wagons in stock, but the majority are in black with the rest mainly in Mojave Silver (I have seen a white and a iridium) and almost all has the dual spoke AMG star wheels with the black piano interior trim, and all seems to have the AMG night package, which I am not a big fan of.

My preference would be a Mojave Silver. I love the Iridium silver on my current W204, but I think the warmer tone of the Mojave silver looks better on a wagon, and not have the Night Package as I think the chrome trim around the windows look more upscale and nicely highlights the sleek sweeping arc of the side windows.
For options I would go with the Preimium Package, Technology Package (the digital instrument display is really nice and I don’t like the AMG checkerboard background of the analog display), 19” black multispoke wheels (I don’t like the standard dual spoke because of the heavy wheel lip which makes it look smaller), the AMG driver’s package (which you have to get with the multispoke wheels, but the enhanced exhaust which you can control is very nice), and intelligent drive package for safety. I love the anthracite oak open pore wood trim as it’s the most subtle and sporty-looking wood trim and it’s new for 2019. The black piano trim is a pain to keep clean and I’m worried about scratches.

Im a bit on the fence right now as I plan to purchase later in the year and I have narrowed my choices down to this and the Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor, but with the Tesla model 3 there is little to deferntiate a $50,000 model from a $80,000 model, the spartan interior is a bit extreme, and installing a charger in my condo parking space will be a pain and expensive, but the technology is incredible and I like how the cars are always improving themselves and Tesla always likes to sneak in some Easter eggs for fun. I tend to keep my cars for a long time (about 12 years) so I want a car that looks and feels timeless and something a little unique.
Decisions, decisions...
Old 02-04-2019, 12:02 PM

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
C43, GLS450
Originally Posted by aowhaus
I got excited too when I heard that the C43 with the face lifted front end is available in Canada. The wagon looks really nice, though I wish the Shooting Brake would make it here, and it’s such a rare sight and I don’t like SUVs and the sedans are all too common, especially when the all the sedans in the Mercedes lineup (except for the A-class) are Russian doll versions of each other.
All dealerships in Ontario has anywhere from 1 to 3 C43 wagons in stock, but the majority are in black with the rest mainly in Mojave Silver (I have seen a white and a iridium) and almost all has the dual spoke AMG star wheels with the black piano interior trim, and all seems to have the AMG night package, which I am not a big fan of.

My preference would be a Mojave Silver. I love the Iridium silver on my current W204, but I think the warmer tone of the Mojave silver looks better on a wagon, and not have the Night Package as I think the chrome trim around the windows look more upscale and nicely highlights the sleek sweeping arc of the side windows.
For options I would go with the Preimium Package, Technology Package (the digital instrument display is really nice and I don’t like the AMG checkerboard background of the analog display), 19” black multispoke wheels (I don’t like the standard dual spoke because of the heavy wheel lip which makes it look smaller), the AMG driver’s package (which you have to get with the multispoke wheels, but the enhanced exhaust which you can control is very nice), and intelligent drive package for safety. I love the anthracite oak open pore wood trim as it’s the most subtle and sporty-looking wood trim and it’s new for 2019. The black piano trim is a pain to keep clean and I’m worried about scratches.

Im a bit on the fence right now as I plan to purchase later in the year and I have narrowed my choices down to this and the Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor, but with the Tesla model 3 there is little to deferntiate a $50,000 model from a $80,000 model, the spartan interior is a bit extreme, and installing a charger in my condo parking space will be a pain and expensive, but the technology is incredible and I like how the cars are always improving themselves and Tesla always likes to sneak in some Easter eggs for fun. I tend to keep my cars for a long time (about 12 years) so I want a car that looks and feels timeless and something a little unique.
Decisions, decisions...
Just as an FYI the 43 trim around the window is going to be black regardless of AMG Night Package or not. Night package is only the tips at the back and the flicks in the front. Black trim around the windows is standard on all 43s. If you want the silver trim youd have to get a C300 wagon.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:54 AM

2018 AMG C43 T
As jerhu has mentioned, the C43 has black trim around the windows. I liked the chrome trim on my C250d, but on a sportier car like the C43 I think night package looks good. I also think it looks a little bit "weird" with chrome roof rails and black trim around the windows on the wagon. This is also why I vinylwrapped the chrome trim between the rear lights.

But, it would be very boring if everyone had a care with the same color and looks
Old 02-05-2019, 03:04 AM

2018 AMG C43 T
Btw, you are thinking of a C43 OR the Tesla Model 3? Wow, I didn't think that was possible Very different cars. The Model 3 is supposed to handle very well, but where's the sound??? Here in Norway we don't pay any taxes on electric cars, so the Model 3 Performance costs about $64.000 ant the C43 almost $118.000,- (102.000,- when I bought mine). The Model S and X has sold very well and have been on the top of the sales statistics because of the tax benefits. The acceleration in a Tesla is very good, but also a little boring after a while. But that's me
Old 02-06-2019, 06:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 4matic
Thanks for all your input, that’s good to know.
I may now even consider Iridium Silver or Diamond White in addition to the Mojave Silver, the best thing to do is try to see it in person. The blacked out window trim would look really nice with tinted windows and the Night Package on a lighter paint. I would also like to black out the chrome trunk strip.

Yes the Model 3 and the C43 are two very different cars and I really love both of them on many different levels. Where I live they are the same price and the acceleration is very similar (with the Dual Motor model without the performance pack). There used to be a $10,000 rebate on all electric cars but our new local government ended that program along with cuts to other environmental and education funding .
The Model 3 is all about the technology and the electric motors and it’s as stealthy and a sleeper of a performance car you can get. The C43 has a lot more presence, flash and luxury, and the wagon is a rare sight on the road, not to mention being much more practical.
This is my only vehicle so I need to think about which car I could live with the most and keep for a long time, but luckily I still have a lot of time to think about it.

Last edited by aowhaus; 02-07-2019 at 06:58 AM.