MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C450/C43 AMG (https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-amg-216/)
-   -   2017 C43 Buyback? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-amg/736625-2017-c43-buyback.html)

zachillusions 02-22-2019 12:08 AM

2017 C43 Buyback?

Hey guys, so I’m pretty new to Mercedes vehicles. I’m from Indiana and I’ve been searching high and low for a used C43 coupe. Currently I drive a 2015 Lexus RC350 F-Sport (great car honestly), but I’ve been looking for something with a bit more power and style, while maintaining its daily drivability.

Which brings me to my question, I’ve found a used C43 with 4,000 miles that looks to be in immaculate condition at a Bentley/Lamborghini dealership. The only issue is that according to Carfax, it was apparently a manufacturer buyback, with the issue being cited as “CRAYON/WAX TYPE ODOR FROM AC VENTS”. As such the car has a branded title from the state of NJ and was listed as a lemon.

Is it worth buying? Currently the car is listed for $46,800 but I imagine there’s some wiggle room there given the Carfax/title branding. It’s been extremely hard finding a used C43 in the color I want with the performance exhaust. This is really the only one currently listed within 300 miles of my ZIP.

What do you guys think? Obviously the dealership says it’s basically new. The thing is, it’s almost believable at that mileage and based on all the pictures.

Thanks for any insight you can give me!

waisoserious 02-22-2019 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by zachillusions (Post 7688025)
Hey guys, so I’m pretty new to Mercedes vehicles. I’m from Indiana and I’ve been searching high and low for a used C43 coupe. Currently I drive a 2015 Lexus RC350 F-Sport (great car honestly), but I’ve been looking for something with a bit more power and style, while maintaining its daily drivability.

Which brings me to my question, I’ve found a used C43 with 4,000 miles that looks to be in emasculate condition at a Bentley/Lamborghini dealership. The only issue is that according to Carfax, it was apparently a manufacturer buyback, with the issue being cited as “CRAYON/WAX TYPE ODOR FROM AC VENTS”. As such the car has a branded title from the state of NJ and was listed as a lemon.

Is it worth buying? Currently the car is listed for $46,800 but I imagine there’s some wiggle room there given the Carfax/title branding. It’s been extremely hard finding a used C43 in the color I want with the performance exhaust. This is really the only one currently listed within 300 miles of my ZIP.

What do you guys think? Obviously the dealership says it’s basically new. The thing is, it’s almost believable at that mileage and based on all the pictures.

IMMACULATE - Perfect, Pristine
Emasculate - Deprive (a man) of his male role or identity.

Try to get the car cheaper. Its 2019. A car loses 20-30% of its value in the 1st year. Plus this car is a buyback. Price should be closer to low 40s imo since a New car is only like 55k right? Offer them 40 and see what they say.

AMG C43 3LV6 02-22-2019 12:22 AM

Which brings me to my question, I’ve found a used C43 with 4,000 miles that looks to be in emasculate condition at a Bentley/Lamborghini dealership. The only issue is that according to Carfax, it was apparently a manufacturer buyback, with the issue being cited as “CRAYON/WAX TYPE ODOR FROM AC VENTS”. As such the car has a branded title from the state of NJ and was listed as a lemon.

https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/WDDWJ6EBXHF506888

I presume this is the car youre looking at. Just be careful as its a buyback/lemon as stated. I would get it fully checked out before purchasing.

AMG C43 3LV6 02-22-2019 12:25 AM

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...MUi%2FQ9l%2FUu

zachillusions 02-22-2019 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by AMG C43 3LV6 (Post 7688034)
https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/WDDWJ6EBXHF506888

I presume this is the car youre looking at. Just be careful as its a buyback/lemon as stated. I would get it fully checked out before purchasing.

That’d be the one.

zachillusions 02-22-2019 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by waisoserious (Post 7688029)
IMMACULATE - Perfect, Pristine
Emasculate - Deprive (a man) of his male role or identity.

Try to get the car cheaper. Its 2019. A car loses 20-30% of its value in the 1st year. Plus this car is a buyback. Price should be closer to low 40s imo since a New car is only like 55k right? Offer them 40 and see what they say.

Gotcha. Will probably give em a call tomorrow morning.

waisoserious 02-22-2019 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by zachillusions (Post 7688042)

Gotcha. Will probably give em a call tomorrow morning.

Actually what you should do is buy a cleaner car and spend more

zachillusions 02-22-2019 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by waisoserious (Post 7688058)

Actually what you should do is buy a cleaner car and spend more

I’ve tried. Had negotiated and agreed to a final price on a clean one but they sold it out from under me. Had offered to put a down payment on it to hold it for a couple days until I could go pick it up. While waiting on the sales manager, someone sold the car. Now I’m stuck with only one or two used C43’s within a reasonable distance of my ZIP. This is the only one in black that has the performance exhaust.

waisoserious 02-22-2019 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by zachillusions (Post 7688071)

I’ve tried. Had negotiated and agreed to a final price on a clean one but they sold it out from under me. Had offered to put a down payment on it to hold it for a couple days until I could go pick it up. While waiting on the sales manager, someone sold the car. Now I’m stuck with only one or two used C43’s within a reasonable distance of my ZIP. This is the only one in black that has the performance exhaust.

Personally if a New C43 is worth 54k starting, that 2yr old lemon is not even worth 40k imo. Even at 40k I would have buyers remorse. I would offer 40k if it was not a lemon. The performance exhaust is not worth that much. You can always go aftermarket later and the aftermarket exhaust is louder and more aggressive.

You could also just wait a few weeks for another car to show up. A car with a buyback history is gonna be harder to sell later on. Which would increase your depreciation.

Edit: especially since as a 2017 car, the factory warranty would be up in 1 year anyways so who cares about voiding the exhaust warranty. Also when is the last time you ever heard saw or even READ about a catback exhaust breaking on a car? It never happens.

5ilver-5urfer 02-22-2019 08:08 AM

I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. If you're having a dilemma buying it, then you can bet it will be harder to get rid of as well if you ever sell it down the road.

Also, a number of 2017 C43 owners complained about that exact same crayon smell on here when we first got our cars. The commom factor between most of us was that we only ever got it when we drove the car really hard. I'd be hard pressed to imagine that this car hasn't been royally abused by it's first owner and they managed the scrape by with getting it lemoned. Just my 2 cents.

Star4life 02-22-2019 08:29 AM

it usually only costs around $1200 to ship a car enclosed across the country. that was how much it cost me to ship my old w204 c class from seattle to Detroit.

when searching for used cars, search the whole country. it will be much easier to find what you want. also especially with coupes. I have found the c class coupes very hard to find used in good condition with the specs I wanted. and they hold their value better than sedans as well.

NYCSoiL 02-22-2019 09:08 AM

I can sell you mine for $53k or take over the lease, I give $$ cash too :)

synergize 02-22-2019 10:33 AM

It depends on how well you tolerate the smell of crayons. Is this the last C43 on the planet, I'd go elsewhere rather quickly!

merlin3008 02-22-2019 11:52 AM

I’d look elsewhere. Think about this way. One day you need to sell this car. If you’re questioning this deal now from a dealer, think about how hard buyers will question you. No dealer will take it on trade. I think you’re buying yourself a headache to save a few bucks. Also, for a lemon this is not priced right.

MVEOVR 02-22-2019 12:03 PM

Pretty much what everyone else has said, if it were me I'd stay far away.

Mr. J 02-22-2019 08:21 PM

It's a very minimally optioned car. If it weren't a lemon it would only be worth $45-49K.

leojhartiv 02-25-2019 10:46 AM

My car has that crayon/wax type odor, though I only get it when I open the sunroof. I've taken it in twice to try to get it fixed, but they can't seem to figure it out. It doesn't really affect me day-to-day and it brings me back to elementary school. :)

Tirgoman 02-25-2019 06:43 PM

I'd go to www.kbb.com and check out the values, retails, wholesale, CPO etc. You can go through the options and condition and see what it says for your local area. Not sure they have a box to check for buyback but I'd take the lowest value they come up with in bad condition and wouldn't pay any more than that if you insist on buying the car.

GreekUPS 02-25-2019 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by leojhartiv (Post 7690393)
My car has that crayon/wax type odor, though I only get it when I open the sunroof. I've taken it in twice to try to get it fixed, but they can't seem to figure it out. It doesn't really affect me day-to-day and it brings me back to elementary school. :)

I think that’s the grease on the pano roof rails.

Viper98912 03-03-2019 11:20 AM

Be aware that many banks WILL NOT finance a buyback car. Some insurance companies will not insure a buyback car.

munis 03-03-2019 08:11 PM

Which brings me to my question, I’ve found a used C43 with 4,000 miles that looks to be in immaculate condition at a Bentley/Lamborghini dealership. The only issue is that according to Carfax, it was apparently a manufacturer buyback, with the issue being cited as “CRAYON/WAX TYPE ODOR FROM AC VENTS”. As such the car has a branded title from the state of NJ and was listed as a lemon.

I have smelled the crayon multiple times with my car when pushing the car hard. Seems normal to me. It went away overtime.

I should add though it only happens when I am beating the piss out of it and engine temp hits around 111 to 112C deg.

Joe biker 03-03-2019 08:52 PM

Buying a car with a bad Carfax is not a good idea!!!!!
Once you buy it at any price the car is going to drop value like a cheap suit.
You will have a hard time re selling or even trading it in.
The car isn’t worth 46k with a branded title.
If it is a buy back I don’t think Mercedes will honor any warranty claims.
I wouldn’t touch that at any price !!!!

thxrick 03-03-2019 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by zachillusions (Post 7688071)

Sorry to hear that. Use the Mercedes CPO site and find EXACTLY what you want and go get it. I am doing this as I'm in the market for a 2016 E63s sedan. Unfortunately there are none near me. Get what you want and make a fun time out of the trip.

GL