Sponsored by:

New Cold Air Intake From MST Performance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 03:23 AM

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Tuned '18 C43 coupe & Stock '18 GLE43 coupe
Originally Posted by MarcusDubya77
Those DAs and temps were completely different for the milliseconds in difference.
^ That! So, I do believe the intake works.

Originally Posted by Lazz83
Terry from Burger was right in suggesting that this design & material would cause a heat issue.

I for one would never buy anything made in China, but to each his/her own
Heat issue is only when the car is sitting in traffic with no fresh air coming in. BMS' design is basically the same. Both intakes suffers heat soak faster than stock when no fresh air comes thru. MST airbox does cool down once car gets moving. The box does not stay hot. It also does not stay cold/cool. LOL.

MST is made in Taiwan. Not China.

Originally Posted by BMS
IIRC people were giving us grief when we chimed into this thread with some reasons why this would have the outcome it did

Anyways, the airboxes is only one part of the restriction in the setup. They have yet to actually come up with something better than stock IMO.
To be honest, BMS, your design suffers the same heat issue when the car is not moving. You, nor your customers that installed your intake, provided any relevant data that shows actual gains in HP or Dragy/Track times. Everyone is quiet except some butt dyno'ers. You were going to post some data after your 1/2 mile event that showed benefits of the intake but never did. (Unless I missed it.) You repeatedly said you have will have data but never posted anything. (Again, maybe I missed it?) Even after all that, I was ready to pull the trigger when you said you were going to fix the cone filter fitment issue. But till today, I'm still waiting. You should sell us more on how fast cars go with your intake, rather than keep pointing out flaws of competitor's. That just seem petty to me...

Having said all that, Terry, I still love you man!

I also agree that more testing must be done on this intake- it would make sense that increased airflow would make more power- so I am unclear on how the numbers came up short?
The numbers did not came up short. Similar 1/4 mile and 60-130mph times in both 59F & 74F means it made more power.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:54 AM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
2017 AMG C43, AWE Touring, BMC Air Filters- 2015 BMW X3 3.5i (JB1 Equipped)
Originally Posted by xX G Xx

Heat issue is only when the car is sitting in traffic with no fresh air coming in. BMS' design is basically the same. Both intakes suffers heat soak faster than stock when no fresh air comes thru. MST airbox does cool down once car gets moving. The box does not stay hot. It also does not stay cold/cool. LOL.

To be honest, BMS, your design suffers the same heat issue when the car is not moving. You, nor your customers that installed your intake, provided any relevant data that shows actual gains in HP or Dragy/Track times. Everyone is quiet except some butt dyno'ers. You were going to post some data after your 1/2 mile event that showed benefits of the intake but never did. (Unless I missed it.) You repeatedly said you have will have data but never posted anything. (Again, maybe I missed it?) Even after all that, I was ready to pull the trigger when you said you were going to fix the cone filter fitment issue. But till today, I'm still waiting. You should sell us more on how fast cars go with your intake, rather than keep pointing out flaws of competitor's. That just seem petty to me...

The numbers did not came up short. Similar 1/4 mile and 60-130mph times in both 59F & 74F means it made more power.

So are you supporting this product or not?
Old 04-13-2019, 11:56 AM

Can you reference that? I would like to read the findings.
Sure I have it all on my zip drive and will spare not a moment in getting it to you
Old 04-13-2019, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by xX G Xx

I appreciate reading your feedback and your data collecting but from my standpoint no intake yet created for the C43 is Definitively viable or quantifiable in Dyno numbers at increasing horsepower, do to the heat soak issue. When these companies can start coming out with Data to back up claims- data that AFE, Apexi, K&N, Weapon R post with their products than I will be sold. I also own an 2016 X3 with the F55 motor and it has a similar configuration to the C43 with the air box mounted center of the engine. AFE make a great CAI for the F55 motor that gives solid HP & torque increases. So I don't believe it is difficult to fabricate a CAI for this motor that will work. Like others have said, aftermarket companies don't care about the C43 i.e. AWE in process of designing this intake and then scrapping the project due to lack of interest.

I also am skeptical that as you stated "this intake works" its not consistent and seems to have drawbacks, unless someone can post data on stock and MSC intake temps in traffic and on open road.

As stated I will we working on developing my own CAI from Carbon Fiber using custom dry filters.

Last edited by Lazz83; 04-13-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:44 PM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
19 C43 Coupe, XC 60
Sure I have it all on my zip drive and will spare not a moment in getting it to you
So that is a no.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:50 PM

So that is a no.
If its really that important to you I can search my hard drives
Old 04-14-2019, 03:47 AM

19 C43 Coupe, XC 60
If its really that important to you I can search my hard drives
Such information would be better for the community. Isn't that what we are all on here for?
Old 04-14-2019, 08:30 AM

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Cabriolet Black/Cranberry Red
Such information would be better for the community. Isn't that what we are all on here for?
No, Lazz is here to post on every thread, pretend he’s interested and not actually buy anything.
The following users liked this post:
MarcusDubya77 (04-14-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 09:18 AM

As stated I will we working on developing my own CAI from Carbon Fiber using custom dry filters.
I thought you didn't like dry filters? But anyways, so you have the ability to lay your own carbon fiber work? That is impressive. So when can we expect this carbon fiber CAI from you?

Here is a IAT comparison for stock vs BMS that someone did a while back for y'alls reference.

Like I said earlier, if you are worried about heat soak in traffic, stick with stock. If you want/need more air flow for your tune, you now can chose from two great companies. Or even Lazz's carbon fiber CAI. Hope more options to come soon! I hear another legit company may be interested in developing....

A few other owners will be installing their MST really soon. Look forward to seeing more data and reviews.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:30 PM

19 C43 Coupe, XC 60
Originally Posted by threefirs
No, Lazz is here to post on every thread, pretend he’s interested and not actually buy anything.
I thought it was to boast about his knowledge of cars without adding anything really productive...
The following 2 users liked this post by MarcusDubya77:
eazy_duz_it (06-08-2019), GuardianVA (04-15-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by threefirs
Nah, I am just smart with what I purchase, don't have the funds like yourself to waste, lol
Old 04-20-2019, 02:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C450
Anyone get a Check Engine Light from the install of the MST intake?
Old 04-20-2019, 08:03 AM

Received 133 Likes on 112 Posts
2018 C43 AMG Brilliant Blue Metallic
Originally Posted by eazy_duz_it
I have not installed mine yet but from the people who have them I have not heard of that issues.

Double check all connections are tight sensors are connected and installed properly.

If u had a jb4 u could check the code
Old 04-20-2019, 10:44 PM

No CEL on mine. 4-5 other local owners did not get a CEL either from this intake.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:57 PM

Got mine in!!

Needless to say I am very excited!!

Will install jb4 make sure everything is good with that then install the MST

Will post a detailed thread with install tips and a video soon!

Lazz83 (04-22-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 06:51 PM

C450
Originally Posted by Dieseldan9
I have not installed mine yet but from the people who have them I have not heard of that issues.

Double check all connections are tight sensors are connected and installed properly.

If u had a jb4 u could check the code
i don’t have a jb4 (as I’ve opted for the less impressive RaceChip) but I have a FIXD Bluetooth obd2 device telling me engine code P1191

ive taken it apart and reinstalled it checking all wires.... and to no avail

MST is telling me to drive on it for a few days
🤷🏻*♂️
CA400 (04-22-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 07:32 PM

i don’t have a jb4 (as I’ve opted for the less impressive RaceChip) but I have a FIXD Bluetooth obd2 device telling me engine code P1191

ive taken it apart and reinstalled it checking all wires.... and to no avail

MST is telling me to drive on it for a few days
🤷🏻*♂️
Ummmm u might be in limp mode see explanation below

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aut...des/p1191.html
Old 04-21-2019, 09:24 PM

C450
Ummmm u might be in limp mode see explanation below

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aut...des/p1191.html
yeah aware of that— took it out of limp mode.

turns out the grommet around the MAF may have been letting some air in— which may have led to the Sensor being off.

So I took the air cone back off and used some Goop and sealed around the grommet (let it dry). Turned the car back on and it’s good!!
CA400 (04-22-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 11:08 PM

yeah aware of that— took it out of limp mode.

turns out the grommet around the MAF may have been letting some air in— which may have led to the Sensor being off.

So I took the air cone back off and used some Goop and sealed around the grommet (let it dry). Turned the car back on and it’s good!!
Very good news glad it all worked out....

U had me worried there for a second!
Old 04-22-2019, 12:35 AM

C450
Very good news glad it all worked out....

U had me worried there for a second!
I’m glad it too! But it is a complaint towards how loosely the grommet fit onto the cone though.
CA400 (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 09:03 PM

C450
Also to note***

Since the addition of the intake the exhaust blip is completely gone.... sadly.

Now this might just be in part due to my RaceChip tuner. But again— who knows 🤷🏿*♂️
Old 04-23-2019, 07:51 AM

Also to note***

Since the addition of the intake the exhaust blip is completely gone.... sadly.

Now this might just be in part due to my RaceChip tuner. But again— who knows 🤷🏿*♂️
u mean the crackles and pops?

or the bang during the upshifts?

I had a vrtuned box and it removed my pops and crackles....that is why I sold it and went JB4

What changed the sound of my car was that I had to mess with fuel sensor.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:27 PM

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts
C400
I also installed intakes, I got a cel right away; P1191. I would be 3 quarters of the throttle in and the car wouldn’t down shift, performance was bad. I used a glue gun to simulate the goop concept from Eaze. The car feels tons better but I still have the same Cel. At this point I’m going to have to go back to stock to see if that eliminates the cel if not then we shall see!
Old 04-23-2019, 03:54 PM

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
'19 C43
Originally Posted by CA400
I also installed intakes, I got a cel right away; P1191. I would be 3 quarters of the throttle in and the car wouldn’t down shift, performance was bad. I used a glue gun to simulate the goop concept from Eaze. The car feels tons better but I still have the same Cel. At this point I’m going to have to go back to stock to see if that eliminates the cel if not then we shall see!
You'll have to clear that code, it won't clear itself. You can get it to clear (but it will remain stored as a fault) by disconnecting the negative battery terminal for about 2 min, and then reconnecting it. I don't know if SCN is required to read and fully clear these out of memory on MBs but if so, find an independent dealer that will do it for you. If you don't, the dealer will see that fault stored as soon as they plug into the car.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:04 PM

I emailed MST to see if this is a design flaw on the intakes

Edit they are outof the office tl the 29th

Last edited by Dieseldan9; 04-23-2019 at 04:44 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Cold Air Intake From MST Performance