New Cold Air Intake From MST Performance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
C190
Originally Posted by jfromthenorth
I installed the mst intake yesterday and I must say, it sounds horrible. I recall someone saying it sounds like an old toilet and i hate to say it but that is spot on. I only hear it in 2-4th gear at under 4k rpm, but when I do it makes this horrible gasping for air sound that at the same tome sounds like something scratching to fet out from under the hood. I know that makes no sense, but this is my initial 24 hour impression. I really hope my install is to blame, but then again I had this professionally installed so i’m leaning towards removing it in a week unless something changes. I would really like to hear some of your thoughts on this before ripping this thing out.
Haha. That was me. Yes, I've been running the toilet for a few weeks now. On one hand, I really want to go back to stock because of the terrible sound. On the other hand, the performance is so much better than stock, I wouldn't be able to do without it. Not sure what to do yet.

Originally Posted by alexasa
BMS was the same (probably worse) - people commented who rode along. it was bad. won't change either
I have the BMS still unopened in its box. If you're telling me that it sounds just as bad as the MST, then I won't bother to open it at all and just sell it off brand new.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:40 AM

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts
'15 C400 and '15 ML350
The sound is the turbos sucking air and lots of it. When the bypass is open and it's bleeding off pressure it can make a odd sound if you aren't used to it. All my friends get it the car and go holy **** that turbo sounds sick, but they are all car guys. Wife doesn't notice it unless I'm in the wrong gear trying to make boost. If you don't like that sound then there won't be an intake out there for you, just get drop in filters.
The following users liked this post:
sgversace (09-26-2021)
Old 09-23-2019, 11:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
c43
Originally Posted by MatthewJ
The sound is the turbos sucking air and lots of it. When the bypass is open and it's bleeding off pressure it can make a odd sound if you aren't used to it. All my friends get it the car and go holy **** that turbo sounds sick, but they are all car guys. Wife doesn't notice it unless I'm in the wrong gear trying to make boost. If you don't like that sound then there won't be an intake out there for you, just get drop in filters.
Ironically I hid it from the wife, and she heard it after only 10 minutes on the highway. This is part of my problem but whatever, it's my problem

I got some brake work done and had this installed at the same time incognito. Now she is trying to make sense of the weird intake sound saying my guy must have royally screwed my brake job! Fun times.

But anyways, yeah, I understand that it is normal, but I was hoping it would sounds differently I guess. I'll ride it out for a week or two and make up my mind eventually. In any case, thanks for confirming. I'm glad to know it's not necessarily MST's config that sounds this way, but rather a generalized noise that will happen with any aftermarket intake (for now at least).
Old 09-23-2019, 12:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
c43
I thought your toilet comparison was insane when I when ordered the unit - told myself 'this guy must have put screwed something up big time'. But it's nuts how, now, all I can think of when I hear it is some ****ty 30 year old toilet in your grand parent's basement that's sucking in air while trying to flush. The resemblance is uncanny.

I might get used to it and learn to appreciate it though - time will tell!
Old 09-23-2019, 12:23 PM

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts
'15 C400 and '15 ML350
I will say it's an engineering feat to add in hiemholtzer silencers in just the right configuration to completely cancle out any noise in the stock intake. Amg would likely rather have the extra 10hp from a more efficient intake but they thought the NVH increase wasn't worth it.
That's where aftermarket comes in and let's the user decide what's priority. I'll take the extra hp.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 681 Likes on 536 Posts
c
Originally Posted by MatthewJ
if you're comparing a 15 c400 to a 19 c43 it's so different it's not even a good comparison.

the 19+ has a low lying blow off/turbo noise from factory compared to basically nothing in the c450 i had.

you change anything and it's more prevalent. You go open air filter and it's completely obnoxious.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2019 C43 AMG Coupe, Mountune Ford Focus RS, Range Rover Sport
Taken from an MB article with specific regard to the stock intakes:

"The M276 DELA 30 has two engine-mounted intake muffler modules with raw and clean air ducting.
The wedge-shaped gap between the engine and engine hood is used for the symmetrical dual layout for both filter housings and contains, in each case, a single-chamber resonator on the raw air side as well as a three-chamber resonator on the clean air side.
These have been adjusted to the frequency ranges by 1 kHz and 2 to 5 kHz and serve for the suppression of the dominating intake noise, which is perceived as a wide-band roaring noise, in super- charged engines at high load and low engine speed."

All good stuff if you don't want the inevitable noises associated with forced induction.....BUT at a price because it seriously affects throttle response.

I have the BMS intakes and and the throttle response since fitting is night and day.

As for the noise, very simple.....the wife has her own car:-)
BMS (09-24-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Originally Posted by UKARDSracer
Taken from an MB article with specific regard to the stock intakes:

"The M276 DELA 30 has two engine-mounted intake muffler modules with raw and clean air ducting.
The wedge-shaped gap between the engine and engine hood is used for the symmetrical dual layout for both filter housings and contains, in each case, a single-chamber resonator on the raw air side as well as a three-chamber resonator on the clean air side.
These have been adjusted to the frequency ranges by 1 kHz and 2 to 5 kHz and serve for the suppression of the dominating intake noise, which is perceived as a wide-band roaring noise, in super- charged engines at high load and low engine speed."

All good stuff if you don't want the inevitable noises associated with forced induction.....BUT at a price because it seriously affects throttle response.

I have the BMS intakes and and the throttle response since fitting is night and day.

As for the noise, very simple.....the wife has her own car:-)
completely disagree on throttle response. i didn't notice any difference in the 19+

Old 09-24-2019, 05:57 PM

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts
2004 E55 K Wagon &. '96 SL500
completely disagree on throttle response. i didn't notice any difference in the 19+
I'm in 2 minds about getting the BMS.
I feel it could help at higher speeds / higher revs?
I've seen C43 Mike get 3.5 0-60s in a hot Florida climate and he has BMS and a canned tune.
I'm getting 3.56 and 11.81 1/4 mile just with Eurocharged but the top end could end improved as I have the EGPF and a 2019 but with a tune originally made for the 2016 pre FL.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:01 PM
BMS
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 152 Likes on 109 Posts
2018 C63 Sedan
You're the only person that's said that. First thing everyone notices is the throttle response.

-Payam
UKARDSracer (09-24-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Originally Posted by BMS
You're the only person that's said that. First thing everyone notices is the throttle response.

-Payam
placebo can be a *****
Old 09-24-2019, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Originally Posted by AhEmGee
I'm in 2 minds about getting the BMS.
I feel it could help at higher speeds / higher revs?
I've seen C43 Mike get 3.5 0-60s in a hot Florida climate and he has BMS and a canned tune.
I'm getting 3.56 and 11.81 1/4 mile just with Eurocharged but the top end could end improved as I have the EGPF and a 2019 but with a tune originally made for the 2016 pre FL.
chase your number some other route - this will net marginal benefits best case scenario
Old 09-24-2019, 06:26 PM

How can you disagree with something that I am stating as a fact, as it relates to my particular vehicle?? Stupid comment really.

Is your 19 tuned? Mine is and the combination of the two delivers what I have stated i.e., improved throttle response. If yours is stock, then it is unlikely that any intake system would make much of a difference per see.
BMS (09-24-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 06:33 PM
BMS
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2018 C63 Sedan
placebo can be a *****
Sounds like x300 people have a placebo effect I guess lol.

-Payam
UKARDSracer (09-24-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 06:51 PM

chase your number some other route - this will net marginal benefits best case scenario
"Placebo","Chase your number some other route" etc., etc......???? What are you talking about?

It doesn't take a genius to look at the stock intakes to realise that airflow has been compromised to some degree in favour of delivering a 'quieter' engine. Which is of course a very reasonable approach by any car manufacturer, as most buyers don't want to hear the 'strange' gurgling sounds that a forced induction system produces.

I am not particularly fond of them myself, truth be known but having raced forced induction cars in the UK over the years, the intake system, albeit only a piece of the puzzle in extracting the most from such an engine, is indeed a very important one. Simple physics.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Originally Posted by UKARDSracer
"Placebo","Chase your number some other route" etc., etc......???? What are you talking about?

It doesn't take a genius to look at the stock intakes to realise that airflow has been compromised to some degree in favour of delivering a 'quieter' engine. Which is of course a very reasonable approach by any car manufacturer, as most buyers don't want to hear the 'strange' gurgling sounds that a forced induction system produces.

I am not particularly fond of them myself, truth be known but having raced forced induction cars in the UK over the years, the intake system, albeit only a piece of the puzzle in extracting the most from such an engine, is indeed a very important one. Simple physics.
so defensive - i too am stating my own experience. Which was different from yours - that's all

this isn't a BMS thread either - they just happen to be participating. Good customer service in my experience too - which i've stated before

OEM w/ minor adjustments is performing more favorably in my current situation (weather - use case - etc.)
Old 09-24-2019, 10:30 PM

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Tuned '18 C43 coupe & Stock '18 GLE43 coupe
If you do not plan to tune the car, there is really no need to change the intake to the BMS or MST alike. I seriously doubt you will feel any difference cept placebo as you said it, and some turbo/toilet flush noise. Keep it stock, or drop in a K&N insert if you got that minor mod itch.

Stock air box for tuned, high boost, cars is like having a sock in your mouth while you are gasping for air. It's just Performance Mod 101.
UKARDSracer (09-27-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C43 AMG 2019
BMS vs MST

Hello,
I have the 2019 C43 sedan and I have recently installed the BMS air intake. I had different opinions about the heat soak; some said that the filters do more damage than good to the performance and some said otherwise. Looking now at the system provided by MST, it looks way better than the ones provided by BMS.

Any feedback on the performance of both? I mean you can't trust the dyno test provided by the suppliers because it all depends on the conditions the car was tested under I just need some advice on whether to keep the BMS, buy the MST or stick to the stock system.

Thanks!

I didn't mention that I am also tuning my car to Stage 2 by DME so I need to change my intake system

Last edited by Marwan Attar; 10-07-2019 at 07:50 AM. Reason: adding notes
Old 10-07-2019, 02:03 PM
BMS
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2018 C63 Sedan
Originally Posted by Marwan Attar

Any feedback on the performance of both? I mean you can't trust the dyno test provided by the suppliers because it all depends on the conditions the car was tested under I just need some advice on whether to keep the BMS, buy the MST or stick to the stock system.
Our dyno on the website is from a customer out of country

-Payam
Old 10-07-2019, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C43 AMG 2019
Originally Posted by BMS
Our dyno on the website is from a customer out of country

-Payam
Thank you for clarification.. However I still think that the intake system I installed (BMS) do provide the engine with hot air instead of cold, since they can only be installed in the engine bay area with the engine dissipating all the heat directly into the surroundings of the filter.
If they were to come with a housing then that would solve the whole issue of heat soak.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Thank you for clarification.. However I still think that the intake system I installed (BMS) do provide the engine with hot air instead of cold, since they can only be installed in the engine bay area with the engine dissipating all the heat directly into the surroundings of the filter.
If they were to come with a housing then that would solve the whole issue of heat soak.
the dyno shows 0 gains - the temperature was 11c cooler when the system was fitted.

side note. apparently removing this seal reduces engine bay temps up to ~5c and would probably help with the heat soak the open air element incurs. (This shows a c63 but it's the same engine bay design in the c43.)

source:
View this post on Instagram
View this post on Instagram
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...options-9.html

Old 10-07-2019, 03:26 PM

Received 133 Likes on 112 Posts
2018 C43 AMG Brilliant Blue Metallic
Interesting idea I will try this next summer.

I am seeing excellent iat with my MST now we are in new England weather.

Time to make some HP and turn up the jb4!
xX G Xx (10-07-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 04:22 PM
BMS
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2018 C63 Sedan
The only time it will provide the engine with "hot" air is if you're standing still and not moving for like 30 minutes. Once you start moving, the air in the bay is cleared out.

That cover housing only makes things worse, it's an oven now with no way to get fresh air in.

-Payam
Old 10-07-2019, 04:25 PM

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts
2004 E55 K Wagon &. '96 SL500
the dyno shows 0 gains - the temperature was 11c cooler when the system was fitted.

side note. apparently removing this seal reduces engine bay temps up to ~5c and would probably help with the heat soak the open air element incurs. (This shows a c63 but it's the same engine bay design in the c43.)

source: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bkrht-PFrnB/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bkrhf0QF9Vr/
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...options-9.html

I guess this would more of an improvement on AIT for the modded cars with open filters.
But it could help reduce under bonnet temps overall.

I did look at taking the baffles out of the stock air intake like you said, but vanes inside help direct airflow evenly onto the filters, otherwise the air is going to collect at the back of the intake and not flow as well.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:36 PM

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Tuned '18 C43 coupe & Stock '18 GLE43 coupe
Originally Posted by BMS
The only time it will provide the engine with "hot" air is if you're standing still and not moving for like 30 minutes. Once you start moving, the air in the bay is cleared out.

That cover housing only makes things worse, it's an oven now with no way to get fresh air in.

-Payam
"That cover housing" is special treated. It's not a plain metal box. It cools down very fast. The stock ram air snorkels brings plenty of fresh air to the box and cools it once the car is moving. I cruised @ 80mph in 20C ambient temp and the IAT is exactly 20C as well~

BTW, the box is not completely sealed. There are some holes and slots in the design to let air thru.

I think some ppl here has a misconception of what a cold air intake is. Cold air does not magically appear. "Cold Air" is basically the ambient air that comes in when the car is moving. Unless the air box is somewhere outside the engine compartment, its all hot air when the car is not moving.. stock or aftermarket! .

I bet if someone really test the stock box, its gets very hot as well. Heat probably increases slower due the the thick rubber/plastic materials. But once it gets hot, it probably doesn't cool down as fast.

Last edited by xX G Xx; 10-07-2019 at 11:40 PM.
MatthewJ (10-08-2019)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Cold Air Intake From MST Performance